[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

The Skylab Teleoperator Retreival System is now on github in an early alpha state. Consists of a probe core (with 6 axis attitude control), optional solar panels, and independent prolusion kits each of which contains a large store of monopropellant and 8 thrusters (this works as an engine not RCS). 

Theres also a camera (with light), some separate lights, and an omni antenna (attached to the propulsion kit here).

Little 0.3125m docking ports for probes. The top node of the probe core can be switched from the 0.625m point (for the apollo port) to this flat end like below.

59 minutes ago, Jcking said:

None of them are actually S-IVBs. Class II uses a 260 inch diameter propellant tank that uses an extended S-IVB with solids and a Space Shuttle engine as an expendable upper stage combined with the space shuttle booster. Class I is a 396 inch propellant module made for INT-21, but can alternatively be launched on the space shuttle booster and Class III uses 15x60 foot propellant tanks (and is specifically designed such that all parts can fit inside the space shuttle cargo bay).

The Lockheed design uses 15x60 tanks, except that the propulsion module tank is launched separate from the propulsion module engine, and the NAR shuttle is practically identical to the Class I MACDAC nuclear shuttle, just with a 8 degree slope that makes up 2/3rds of the propellant module compared to the 10 degree slope that makes up 1/3 of the propellant module and is single launched from an INT-21 (but a hybrid Saturn shuttle version was proposed)

Huh, always thought it was a S-IVB based off the image. The more you know. So that means NERVA is huge, if that Class I is the diameter of an S-II. Jeez. Didn't think it was that big.

6 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Huh, always thought it was a S-IVB based off the image. The more you know. So that means NERVA is huge, if that Class I is the diameter of an S-II. Jeez. Didn't think it was that big.

36 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

The Saturn D series of rockets had their Nuclear stage based off of S-IV and S-IVB.   But those were meant mostly as test rockets (and not well defined at that so think of the Saturn D series as the Placeholders for the future S-xN family)

The Saturn D-2 Rocket ( a Saturn C-2 comprising of S-I(C-2) or S-IM(C-2) S-II-260 and the Un-named Nuclear stage based off of the Hydrogen Tank from the S-IVB stretched and ending in a small diameter at the top where a small GCU unit would reside completing the conic nature of it.   No nose cone no nothing else.     The Tank is most of the nosecone itself.   Reducing lego-ablity

MSFC was told to NOT contemplate the Saturn D-1 rocket as the Nuke would be ignited in atmosphere.   Although drawings of it do exist.  

D-3 existed and later became C-3N.  But I have found zero drawings as D-3

Something to remember about the Saturn Program, While technology sharing was a thing, Douglas Aircraft Corporation had the best Insulating of any company for the Liquid Hydrogen, the S-IV and S-IVB having significantly lower boiloff points than the NAA S-II-396 stage for example

Edited by Pappystein

Can someone bring me up to speed on the Leo-L-MFBS "Bellini" Service Module?

Specifically, what was the historical source, what's it's intended mission profile or purpose, and what LV would have launched such a mission? If someone has an old NASA reference PDF or something, that would be cool to have linked, but I don't wanna make things too hard, so I'll be fine without that bit if necessary.

2 hours ago, shakuvendell said:

Can someone bring me up to speed on the Leo-L-MFBS "Bellini" Service Module?

Specifically, what was the historical source, what's it's intended mission profile or purpose, and what LV would have launched such a mission? If someone has an old NASA reference PDF or something, that would be cool to have linked, but I don't wanna make things too hard, so I'll be fine without that bit if necessary.

That came from an advanced Gemini study and would service MORL (manned orbital research laboratory) and would have launched from a Saturn I

65046039-E430-46B4-BDB7-3602867EE342.jpg
https://web.archive.org/web/20100519170319/http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19750069218_1975069218.pdf

Edited by Jcking

5 hours ago, Jcking said:

That came from an advanced Gemini study and would service MORL (manned orbital research laboratory) and would have launched from a Saturn I

65046039-E430-46B4-BDB7-3602867EE342.jpg
https://web.archive.org/web/20100519170319/http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19750069218_1975069218.pdf

Tells me pretty much everything I needed to know.

Looks like Big-G isn't the only thing with cargo space limited to the realm of theory. Be nice to use them both as actual cargo ferries. Nicer if they had a docking control station. Any tips for this?

Edited by shakuvendell

UPDATE - BLUEDOG DESIGN BUREAU  V 1.10.1 "Луна"

This is a minor patch to the 1.10.0 update.

v1.10.0 RELEASE ALBUM

DOWNLOAD

GITHUB DOWNLOAD    |  SPACEDOCK DOWNLOAD  

should also be available via CKAN soon.

Changelog

v1.10.1

New Content and features

• Wide SLA for Saturn H03 from Eyes Turned Skyward (can house an ETS Artemis/ Constellation Altair lander from other mods)

Updates and Enhancements

• permanently delete deprecated old Skylab, APAS and E1 parts in BDB/OldParts
  • Updated Connected Living Spaces patch (Thanks to Aelfhe1m)

Bug fixes

• Fixes for F1 and E1 plumes
  • Fix Apollo advanced heatshield texture bug with TU
  • Minor texture fixes
  • Some craft file fixes
  • Fixes to USI-Life Support patch (Thanks to somnambulistic)

v1.10.0 changelog

Spoiler

New Content and features
- BIG REVAMP OF SATURN, APOLLO & SKYLAB!!

Apollo
- New Apollo capsule with multiple variants including Skylab and Boilerplate variants
- Official PBR support for Apollo capsule via Textures Unlimited with custom PBR textures (Thanks to Truthful Gnome)
- New block II SM with realistic SIM-bay and alternate bay interiors
- Apollo CM terrestrial landing heatshield with legs and retro motors
- New SIM-bay experiments and revamped sub satellite
- New LM with independent legs and silver MLI variant
- New LM and CSM engines
- 16 new surface experiment parts based on the Apollo Lunar Surface Experiment Package (ALSEP). Requires Breaking Ground DLC.
- Multiple R4D rcs variant blocks
- LM MESA experiment, goo experiment based on RTG cask, and cosmic ray detector
- Revamped ETS advanced Apollo service modules and mission modules
- revamped AARDVARK block I and block II, plus unpressurised segment.
- new accurate CADS docking port in passive and active models (1.25m)
- Apollo Boilerplate CM and SM
- New Apollo SM Doppler Antenna (used on ASTP mission)

Saturn
- All new Saturn V at correct real world to KSP scale ( S1C and SII now 6.25m, SIVB 4.25m).
- Multiple variant lengths for S1C including various stretches for MLV as well as common bulkhead variant.
- Variants for S1C engine mount
- Multiple mounting truss options for the SLA. Wide SLA variant with straight walls for larger payloads
- Multiple variant lengths, 5x and 7x engine mount variants for SII.
- SII to 3.75m Generic mount and dedicated 3.75m M1 engine mount.
- Multiple variant lengths, SOFI texture variant and LASS mount option for the S4B
- Variants for Saturn V engine mount
- S1D Atlas style half staging mount and vernier engine
- New inline and radial AJ260 solid rocket motor in multiple length variants
- Revamped and resized Saturn I (first stage 4.25m, S4 3.75m) with multiple length switches
- 6.25m (MLV) and 4.25m (Skylab style), and 3.75m SAF fairings.
- 2.5m Saturn I fairing variant
- Truss adapter for AARDV and Centaur
- New E-1 engine
- New sustainer variant for the F1
- New H2 variant (subtype on the H1)

Skylab
- All new historical Skylab with Breaking Ground based robotics truss for the ATM
- Jettisonable shielding for the orbital workshop with custom PBR texture support via Textures Unlimited for the bare workshop
- Skylab external experiments
- New wet workshop model
- New Venus flyby wet workshop with expanded shielding and 12x solar panels
- New Venus flyby mission module with unpressurised cargo bay, experiments and reentry probes.
- New ETS Spacelab parts
- Aft MDA based on EOSS proposals for expanding Skylab derived from the back

Gemini
- parts for Big Gemini conical service module (4.25m S4B diameter)
- Abort tower for Big Gemini

Other
- New Saturn I-based Pegasus micrometeorite satellite
- Replaced old APAS (0.9375m) with new model by Benjee10. Compatible without conflict with Benjees own mods (Habtech, SOCK etc)
- Apollo Soyuz Test Project (ASTP) docking adapter and experiment
- APAS 75 docking port from ASTP. Compatible with corresponding Soyuz base counterpart being added to Tantares.
- New Agena Horizon Sensor part (definitely apollo related)

Updates and Enhancements
- Update bundled Waterfall to 0.8.1
- Update bundled B9PS to v2.20.0
- Some solar panel EC output balancing
- Minor science balancing
- New Agena Avionics Unit 'split' paint variant
- DCSS 2.5m Fairing Base paint variants (white, black, and gray)
- Updated craft files courtesy of Friznit

Bug fixes
- Fix more typos
- Minor tag fixes
- Fix Delta IV engine shroud texture
- System Heat fixes for nuclear engines

Edited by Zorg

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

UPDATE - BLUEDOG DESIGN BUREAU  V 1.10.1 "Луна"

This is a minor patch to the 1.10.0 update.

v1.10.0 RELEASE ALBUM

DOWNLOAD

GITHUB DOWNLOAD    |  SPACEDOCK DOWNLOAD (uploading slowly)

should also be available via CKAN soon.

Changelog

v1.10.1

New Content and features

• Wide SLA for Saturn H03 from Eyes Turned Skyward (can house an ETS Artemis/ Constellation Altair lander from other mods)

Updates and Enhancements

• permanently delete deprecated old Skylab, APAS and E1 parts in BDB/OldParts
  • Updated Connected Living Spaces patch (Thanks to Aelfhe1m)

Bug fixes

• Fixes for F1 and E1 plumes
  • Fix Apollo advanced heatshield texture bug with TU
  • Minor texture fixes
  • Some craft file fixes
  • Fixes to USI-Life Support patch (Thanks to somnambulistic)

v1.10.0 changelog

Reveal hidden contents

New Content and features
- BIG REVAMP OF SATURN, APOLLO & SKYLAB!!

Apollo
- New Apollo capsule with multiple variants including Skylab and Boilerplate variants
- Official PBR support for Apollo capsule via Textures Unlimited with custom PBR textures (Thanks to Truthful Gnome)
- New block II SM with realistic SIM-bay and alternate bay interiors
- Apollo CM terrestrial landing heatshield with legs and retro motors
- New SIM-bay experiments and revamped sub satellite
- New LM with independent legs and silver MLI variant
- New LM and CSM engines
- 16 new surface experiment parts based on the Apollo Lunar Surface Experiment Package (ALSEP). Requires Breaking Ground DLC.
- Multiple R4D rcs variant blocks
- LM MESA experiment, goo experiment based on RTG cask, and cosmic ray detector
- Revamped ETS advanced Apollo service modules and mission modules
- revamped AARDVARK block I and block II, plus unpressurised segment.
- new accurate CADS docking port in passive and active models (1.25m)
- Apollo Boilerplate CM and SM
- New Apollo SM Doppler Antenna (used on ASTP mission)

Saturn
- All new Saturn V at correct real world to KSP scale ( S1C and SII now 6.25m, SIVB 4.25m).
- Multiple variant lengths for S1C including various stretches for MLV as well as common bulkhead variant.
- Variants for S1C engine mount
- Multiple mounting truss options for the SLA. Wide SLA variant with straight walls for larger payloads
- Multiple variant lengths, 5x and 7x engine mount variants for SII.
- SII to 3.75m Generic mount and dedicated 3.75m M1 engine mount.
- Multiple variant lengths, SOFI texture variant and LASS mount option for the S4B
- Variants for Saturn V engine mount
- S1D Atlas style half staging mount and vernier engine
- New inline and radial AJ260 solid rocket motor in multiple length variants
- Revamped and resized Saturn I (first stage 4.25m, S4 3.75m) with multiple length switches
- 6.25m (MLV) and 4.25m (Skylab style), and 3.75m SAF fairings.
- 2.5m Saturn I fairing variant
- Truss adapter for AARDV and Centaur
- New E-1 engine
- New sustainer variant for the F1
- New H2 variant (subtype on the H1)

Skylab
- All new historical Skylab with Breaking Ground based robotics truss for the ATM
- Jettisonable shielding for the orbital workshop with custom PBR texture support via Textures Unlimited for the bare workshop
- Skylab external experiments
- New wet workshop model
- New Venus flyby wet workshop with expanded shielding and 12x solar panels
- New Venus flyby mission module with unpressurised cargo bay, experiments and reentry probes.
- New ETS Spacelab parts
- Aft MDA based on EOSS proposals for expanding Skylab derived from the back

Gemini
- parts for Big Gemini conical service module (4.25m S4B diameter)
- Abort tower for Big Gemini

Other
- New Saturn I-based Pegasus micrometeorite satellite
- Replaced old APAS (0.9375m) with new model by Benjee10. Compatible without conflict with Benjees own mods (Habtech, SOCK etc)
- Apollo Soyuz Test Project (ASTP) docking adapter and experiment
- APAS 75 docking port from ASTP. Compatible with corresponding Soyuz base counterpart being added to Tantares.
- New Agena Horizon Sensor part (definitely apollo related)

Updates and Enhancements
- Update bundled Waterfall to 0.8.1
- Update bundled B9PS to v2.20.0
- Some solar panel EC output balancing
- Minor science balancing
- New Agena Avionics Unit 'split' paint variant
- DCSS 2.5m Fairing Base paint variants (white, black, and gray)
- Updated craft files courtesy of Friznit

Bug fixes
- Fix more typos
- Minor tag fixes
- Fix Delta IV engine shroud texture
- System Heat fixes for nuclear engines

will the problems with the skylab telescope robotic mount breaking?

1 hour ago, Galileo chiu said:

oh, that's unfortunate

This is how I solved worked around it: I.e. Not attaching it to the truss structure. 

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

as far as I can tell this is due to stock robotics bugs. I dont know what I can do about it.

It's weird to me though, I never had that problem with stock robotics. I couldn't see anything in my log file though, so I can't say if it's a stock bug or not for certain. 

Edited by GoldForest

8 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

This is how I solved it: I.e. Not attaching it to the truss structure.

That's not really a solution though.

9 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

t's weird to me though, I never had that problem with stock robotics. I couldn't see anything in my log file though, so I can't say if it's a stock bug or not for certain. 

I dont know what to tell you. I havent the faintest idea how to reproduce this (or what to do if I could) and this is using the stock robotics module. The part is a simple part with a single pivot point defined in the config. 

3 minutes ago, Zorg said:

That's not really a solution though.

I dont know what to tell you. I havent the faintest idea how to reproduce this (or what to do if I could) and this is using the stock robotics module. The part is a simple part with a single pivot point defined in the config. 

Eh, you're right, work around then. 

Idk either. I just launched Skylab, left it to launch my kitbashed TRS, when I arrived, it was like that. I saw a null reference for KJR about the apollo docking port, and a few scatterer null refs, but nothing about the truss support. 

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Eh, you're right, work around then. 

Idk either. I just launched Skylab, left it to launch my kitbashed TRS, when I arrived, it was like that. I saw a null reference for KJR about the apollo docking port, and a few scatterer null refs, but nothing about the truss support. 

I wonder if its KJR then. Even if its not throwing an error, it might be dealing with the robotics incorrectly. I would suggest locking the truss after deploying maybe that could help. 

8 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I wonder if its KJR then. Even if its not throwing an error, it might be dealing with the robotics incorrectly. I would suggest locking the truss after deploying maybe that could help. 

I actually locked it after launching a test article into orbit, locking it causes the truss to explode. 

3 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I actually locked it after launching a test article into orbit, locking it causes the truss to explode. 

What about without KJR? And which version of it are you using? iirc theres 3 competing forks

The wide SLA for H03 like the jettisonable SLA does not properly shield the payload, making the vehicle fail to reach orbit with more bulkier payloads, unless a regular fairing also covering the payload, which mitigates the drag issues.

Edited by Jcking

16 minutes ago, Jcking said:

The wide SLA for H03 like the jettisonable SLA does not properly shield the payload, making the vehicle fail to reach orbit with more bulkier payloads, unless a regular fairing also covering the payload.

What do you mean by not shielding? is the payload being destroyed? Or is it just a matter of drag. Because in my testing moduleCargoBay was working correctly and shielding the payload. If its drag I will see what can be done.