[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

d5JevRc.png

rKympzl.png

txcPIPJ.png

tKw1iqz.png

mlnO5Lu.png

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Made Von Braun's original (?) design, with the addition of solar panels, wetlab workshop. Below you can see the design. I think the original design called for just the tanks to be launched by themselves and then a later Saturn V would launch the 'lab' part and astronauts would construct the lab in orbit by cutting the tanks open and sliding the lab into place. The design called for a Venus flyby style of solar arrays, flat panels around the S-II, but I went with this sort of "Butterfly wing" effect I liked better. 

@Zorg Would it be possible to get an S-IVB interstage with a crew pipe running through it and the retros + decoupler functionality removed? 

spaceprinting_wetworkshop.jpg 

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

@Zorg Would it be possible to get an S-IVB interstage with a crew pipe running through it and the retros + decoupler functionality removed? 

nope not planning to do this. My idea here is just to provide the workshop and let users figure out everything else.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Below you can see the design. I think the original design called for just the tanks to be launched by themselves and then a later Saturn V would launch the 'lab' part and astronauts would construct the lab in orbit by cutting the tanks open and sliding the lab into place.

I'm only seeing a single launch described above. The equipment is in an S4B shaped shell. Once in orbit the shell is gotten rid of and the equipment module slides into the SII tank.

59 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I'm only seeing a single launch described above. The equipment is in an S4B shaped shell. Once in orbit the shell is gotten rid of and the equipment module slides into the SII tank.

Ah, I see. So the S-IVB is discarded after launch?

Edit: Ah yeah, okay, I see it now. Missed that part. 

Edited by GoldForest

25 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Ah, I see. So the S-IVB is discarded after launch?

its not an S4B from what I can tell. Just a structural shell in the shape of one with an SLA and Apollo above. 

(And no Im not making one hence the new fairing option with hollow base. I expect Apollo to be launched on Saturn IB or similar or if people really want the SLA they can kit-bash something together below)

Edited by Zorg

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

its not an S4B from what I can tell. Just a structural shell in the shape of one with an SLA and Apollo above. 

(And no Im not making one hence the new fairing option with hollow base. I expect Apollo to be launched on Saturn IB or similar or if people really want the SLA they can kit-bash something together.)

That's what I meant, sorry. 

Well, I did find a solution. The S-IVB interstage can fit a Skylab Adapter piece with an Apollo docking drogue and then for the S-IVB, the aerospike J-2T fits nicely. You can lessen the fuel in the S-IVB and just deorbit it on its own. 

GqRbM1x.png

Edit: Did a more accurate style S-II wetlab. Ignore the S-IVB in the background, haven't deorbited it yet. 

RkeUaIS.png

lJj9bIo.png

Edited by GoldForest

4 hours ago, GoldForest said:

spaceprinting_wetworkshop.jpg 

Yeah, this design never made sense to me.   The Station is actually 10ft diameter... and you move it deeper into the former Lqd Hydrogen tank.   Only reason to do that was because the LqdHydrogen tank provides extra radiological and micrometeorite protection.  Given we didn't launch skylab with this extra protection and it survived fine until we decided we didn't need it.....  

Zorg, AMAZING work as always and thanks for the PLF with a colider-less center.   I can see lots of uses for that including a "safe" launch option for these stations.

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

That's what I meant, sorry. 

Well, I did find a solution. The S-IVB interstage can fit a Skylab Adapter piece with an Apollo docking drogue and then for the S-IVB, the aerospike J-2T fits nicely. You can lessen the fuel in the S-IVB and just deorbit it on its own. 

GqRbM1x.png

You can also launch a S-IVB Wetlab and boost it to a slightly HIGHER orbit :D  

Edited by Pappystein

12 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Yeah, this design never made sense to me.   The Station is actually 10ft diameter... and you move it deeper into the former Lqd Hydrogen tank.   Only reason to do that was because the LqdHydrogen tank provides extra radiological and micrometeorite protection.  Given we didn't launch skylab with this extra protection and it survived fine until we decided we didn't need it.....  

Zorg, AMAZING work as always and thanks for the PLF with a colider-less center.   I can see lots of uses for that including a "safe" launch option for these stations.

You can also launch a S-IVB Wetlab and boost it to a slightly HIGHER orbit :D  

Skylab S-II and S-IVB Munlab.... I hadn't thought about that. 

18 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

It is weird yes. But also worth noting at least some of the rest of the SII volume is utilized by extending platforms from the station core into the rest of the LH2 tank. Anyway as almost literally a back of a napkin sketch, Im not inclined to overthink it which is why im not interested in trying to provide official parts to build out the full thing exactly as described.

I think if the S-II Space station concept was used, we would have used the whole thing like Skylab and ditched the wetlab concept. We probably would have seen the S-II Skylab launched on top of a UA1207 boosted Saturn V two stage, or something to that effect.

Edited by GoldForest

18 hours ago, 610yesnolovely said:

https://github.com/Araym-KSP/BDBNIC/archive/refs/heads/master.zip <-- This is the fork!

https://github.com/Bellabong/Bella_TU/releases/download/1.0/BellaTU10.zip <-- This is great also, and works with the above, adds moar!

Both these seem to work with BDB 1.10.1 / 1.12.3 - tried them yesterday. Looks good to go.

I have BDBNIC, Magpie Mods, and Bella_TU (and their dependencies) installed and I'm getting some nasty z-fighting on the long Agena tank on Agena B and GATV, but not Agena D:

Spoiler

u7uBbm9.pngFq8CLad.png

Not the D:

bpFwEwm.png

30 minutes ago, bigyihsuan said:

I have BDBNIC, Magpie Mods, and Bella_TU (and their dependencies) installed and I'm getting some nasty z-fighting on the long Agena tank on Agena B and GATV, but not Agena D:

Reveal hidden contents

u7uBbm9.pngFq8CLad.png

Not the D:

bpFwEwm.png

Magpie and Bella TU aren’t really meant to go together, and that’s not what Agena D is supposed to look like with Bella TU. Make sure that Magpie isn’t applying it’s configs to Agena.

Personally I would not recommend using Magpie at all in any circumstance. Its one of those things I mentioned that just applies config only based PBR indiscriminately. If you want TU with BDB for more than what we provide I would only recommend Bellas configs although there's no guarantee they are fully up to date.

30 minutes ago, Jcking said:

Magpie and Bella TU aren’t really meant to go together, and that’s not what Agena D is supposed to look like with Bella TU. Make sure that Magpie isn’t applying it’s configs to Agena.

I have the same issue, and only on that one part (that I've seen), but I only have BDBNIC (Araym) and Bella_TU - definitely no Magie.

1 hour ago, 610yesnolovely said:

I have the same issue, and only on that one part (that I've seen), but I only have BDBNIC (Araym) and Bella_TU - definitely no Magie.

I cloned the master branch of Bella TU and Agena B and D looked just fine, with the exception of Agena D having compression artifacts for the white variants.

Edited by Jcking

7 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

@Zorg @CobaltWolf @Invaderchaos The deploy limiter on the Venus Flyby Solar Panels is backwards. At 100 it's fully stowed, at 0 it's fully deployed. Should be the other way around. 

x4Fmpys.png

6jrh5lA.jpg

I think that's just how the deploy limit works. It starts from the end of the animation for some reason

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I think that's just how the deploy limit works. It starts from the end of the animation for some reason

Ah, so no way to fix it? Alright. 

Edit: Wait, it doesn't do that for cargo plane ramps. At 0 they're closed. At 100 they're open. 

Edited by GoldForest

dont know how many times this has been asked, but the probe cores that come with BDB dont get storage upgrades when I unlock the HDD upgrade through the tech tree. I'm having to clip OKTOs and HECS cores into my regular probes just to make it possible to transmit a useful amount of science (although I do have to admit that Mariner 10  looks pretty sick with a HECS half clipped into the top :cool:)

xP8QCD2.jpg

BSOVbrt.jpg

tHtcGgt.png

ShQcyFz.jpg

R44sLP3.jpg

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

So...
Can you make it into orbit with an S-II wetlab and S-IVB wetlab? ... kinda... you will have to steal fuel from the S-IVB.
Can you make it to the Mun? Nope. I don't know why I tried, ended up realizing I wouldn't make it, tried to bring it back down to a smaller orbit, ran out of fuel, periapsis ended up in the atmosphere/kerbin, Apollo commanded to abort from S-IVB... 
Yeah, I made a few mistakes. 
So if you want to get the S-II in LKO and S-IVB in Mun orbit... strap some UA1207s on... or use a bigger Saturn S-IC... with better engines... yeah... ellipsis... more ellipsis... even MORE ellipsis... okay I'm done.

My next station concept will be a success as it's going to LKO and not the Mun. 

hXZnPJJ.jpg

Edited by GoldForest