[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 minutes ago, Jcking said:

The J-2A2 is a fictional engine from Eyes Turned Skyward, with the extendible nozzle added over what is depicted in the artwork for it to justify it’s ISP increase over the J-2S. Not something part of any study.

Aha that explains why my usual avenues for this were coming up short. 

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Forgot to check your staging? 

Even worse.

Didn't look at what I was pressing in the pop-up menu.

Now Bill and Bob are trapped in lunar orbit.

YpnnEDJ.png

KMJWwO5.png

4lwveyY.png

W2C6oBb.png

EpzVY5T.png

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Project Icarus successfully deflects an inbound asteroid heading for Kerbin. 

For those that don't know, Project Icarus was a plan by a student at MIT to deflect or destroy the asteroid 1566 Icarus if it was found to be on an intercept course to Earth. The plan called for 6 Saturn Vs to carry 6 100 Megaton warheads. The rockets would be launched on after the other, with the last one launching about 18 hours before impact as a last-ditch effort. Obviously, Project Icarus wasn't needed IRL, but it's fun to do this hypothetical stuff in KSP.
(And yes, I did cheat to the asteroid.)

1 hour ago, VladislaviX said:

I can't find ways to cool the tank for hydrogen fuel, are there ways to cool hydrogen and methane fuels?

BDB boiloff simulation is based on old 20th century tech and we don't have an option for cryo-cooling, the cryo stages we have like Centaur and S4B etc would be used for launch but not interplanetary insertions or long duration missions of other sorts. We are looking at new options as we look to add nuclear tugs and interplanetary vessels

Until that happens, for long duration missions you can either disable boiloff in the BDB section of the KSP difficulty settings or install the CryoTanks patch in BDB_Extras. Keep in mind this is not officially supported and you will also need to download Nertea's CryoTanks mod.

Edited by Zorg

quick question, how am i supposed to make spacelab or wetlab? seeing as the skylab docking adapter doesn't have a top docking port anymore. flipping it around also isn't an option as the experiments are then mounted on the wrong side of the station. thanks in advance for answering and for the great work on this incredible mod!

6 minutes ago, bjornadri said:

quick question, how am i supposed to make spacelab or wetlab? seeing as the skylab docking adapter doesn't have a top docking port anymore. flipping it around also isn't an option as the experiments are then mounted on the wrong side of the station. thanks in advance for answering and for the great work on this incredible mod!

You need to use the Skylab Radial Attachment point. 

5 hours ago, Zorg said:

Until that happens, for long duration missions you can either disable boiloff in the BDB section of the KSP difficulty settings or install the CryoTanks patch in BDB_Extras. Keep in mind this is not officially supported and you will also need to download Nertea's CryoTanks mod.

But if you do run into any serious bugs with that patch, I'm still around, so drop me a line. Though it's a bit funny as I no longer even use it myself. 

There is also another option, which may or may not appeal to people - just kitbash! If you just take the Inon/Centaur upper stage and replace only the tank with one from CryoTanks you'll have an "upgraded, modern" Centaur capable of interplanetary insertions. It actually looks decent, too. Of course, this will require a constant EC source. And it may not appeal to people who are slaves to historical accuracy (but I think if you follow history in your builds then you wouldn't be trying this in the first place as the Centaur as I understand it was never capable of preventing boiloff).

On 5/15/2022 at 3:11 AM, DeviouslyDeviant said:

I got no idea if this has been proposed already or planned to be added at some future time, but I've got an idea for a simple addition to the Skylab wetlab, based on some concept art and diagrams (see spoilers for reference) I've seen online.

I tried to replicate the design in-game with the latest dev version, but was surprised to learn that I couldn't pull it off without the LAM adaptor doors blocking all the docking ports.

How hard would it be to add a variant of the Lunar Module adaptor doors that makes them swing back entirely, meeting the upper half of the S-IVB stage and giving enough room for spacecraft and additional modules to dock? Has this already been considered or am I the first to throw this idea out? I'm not all that willing to mess with the files myself, as I wouldn't know where to begin and don't want to risk breaking what's has become one of my favourite KSP mods.

Also, I've only just started messing around with the Apollo parts in my current campaign, so please forgive my ignorance of how they all work. :P

On 5/15/2022 at 4:02 AM, Zorg said:

No promises but something I've been meaning to look into.

That's be more my bag, but yeah it's something I want to look into adding. Maybe solar panels on the inside of the petals.

On 5/15/2022 at 6:16 AM, shakuvendell said:

Question. How is one supposed to attach and decouple the Belle P-111 "Stowaway" Subsatellite?

On 5/15/2022 at 6:56 AM, Grimmas said:

I'm not sure if that is how it's "supposed" to be done, but you can attach it directly on the Belle-ERD Equipment Rack under the interstage. Select the Aft Rack Enabled option in the PAW to get a flat surface that's just the right size for the Stowaway.

Uhhhh if I remember, yeah you just set the equipment rack to have the aft rack mesh (so it looks right), and then surface attach it directly on. I think right clicking the subsat, it should have a built in decoupler you can use.

If I remember I sorta just left the subsatellite stuff half finished. I wanted to make a few different versions but it seemed like a low return on investment since they don't really have a gameplay purpose.

On 5/15/2022 at 9:46 AM, Grimmas said:

The control point isn't really the issue. I put together a test craft like yours and didn't have any problems driving it, however you need to make sure that you open up the PAW for the shelter and set the reaction wheels to "SAS Only". By default they are in "Normal" mode and that of course means that they try to flip the craft over when you use WASD. 

On 5/15/2022 at 9:48 AM, DaveyJ576 said:

Excellent! I didn’t think of that. 

Can control point be changed with a PAW option? I can look into adding one if it's doable.

9 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

Hey, uhh @CobaltWolf, one of the thruster quads on the LM Lab is missing it's texture...

D'oh! If anyone's curious, that's what happens when a single mesh object has more than one material assigned to it. In this case, I'd guess there were two materials that both used the LM Ascent texture, so I didn't notice. Easy fix!

7 hours ago, Galileo chiu said:

eva them over

7 hours ago, GoldForest said:

LM lab doesn't have an airlock door. It's sealed off. Only way in or out is the docking port.

I am going to try and add a toggle for the 'air conditioner' so that the hatch can still be used.

6 hours ago, VladislaviX said:

I can't find ways to cool the tank for hydrogen fuel, are there ways to cool hydrogen and methane fuels?

5 hours ago, Zorg said:

BDB boiloff simulation is based on old 20th century tech and we don't have an option for cryo-cooling, the cryo stages we have like Centaur and S4B etc would be used for launch but not interplanetary insertions or long duration missions of other sorts. We are looking at new options as we look to add nuclear tugs and interplanetary vessels

As Zorg said, we're looking into adding options for controlling boiloff for longer voyages. But uh, we probably need some help with code if any experienced KSP modders want to help...

1 hour ago, bjornadri said:

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

You need to use the Skylab Radial Attachment point. 

Yeah, we added the Radial Attachment Point so that the MDA (or whatever) could be configured for whatever docking configuration you needed without a ton of different parts.

13 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Can control point be changed with a PAW option? I can look into adding one if it's doable.

Yes, you can define multiple additional CONTROLPOINT sections in ModuleCommand and then switch them in PAW. The ProbeMate does this. I'll try to cook up a PR for it.

15 minutes ago, Grimmas said:

Yes, you can define multiple additional CONTROLPOINT sections in ModuleCommand and then switch them in PAW. The ProbeMate does this. I'll try to cook up a PR for it.

I'd appreciate it, yeah. Thanks also for the update to the USI configs, I need to merge it in. Please feel free to keep contributing (please)

okay one more question and then i'm done (for now wink wink). i'm in the process of building spacelab from ETS. say ETS were real, what LV would be used to bring the FRM and EALM up to the station? i tried fitting the FRM in a SLA but it doesn't really fit so i reckon it's not an LV in the Saturn family.

Edited by bjornadri

5 minutes ago, bjornadri said:

okay one more question and then i'm done (for now wink wink). i'm in the process of building spacelab from ETS. say ETS were real, what LV would be used to bring the FRM and EALM up to the station? i tried fitting the FRM in a SLA but it doesn't really fit so i reckon it's not an LV in the Saturn family.

If I remember in Eyes it was Europa V that launched the FRM.

fetch.php?cache=&media=timelines:high_5.

Edited by Jcking

3 minutes ago, bjornadri said:

Just now, Jcking said:

If I remember in Eyes it was Europa V

They don't really acknowledge it in Eyes, and I think the art just uses the SLA because that's the model the artist had. I'm pretty sure most of the AARDVs and modules used Saturn 1C, just with a Skylab-type fairing - that was the "standard" fairing for Saturns in real life, it just only flew once.

Europa V didn't fly for at least another 20 years, I think.

5 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

They don't really acknowledge it in Eyes, and I think the art just uses the SLA because that's the model the artist had. I'm pretty sure most of the AARDVs and modules used Saturn 1C, just with a Skylab-type fairing - that was the "standard" fairing for Saturns in real life, it just only flew once.

Europa V didn't fly for at least another 20 years, I think.

understood, thatnks for the advice, one more question tho, once i get it in orbit, how do i actually dock the thing since it has no RCS or probe control?

44 minutes ago, Friznit said:

BD OGO already has a config for it, you could copy that.

Thanks! I didn't find it in OGO but I figured it out. Took a bit of wrangling with the vectors but I think I got them pointed the right way now, at least according to my tests.

31 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'd appreciate it, yeah. Thanks also for the update to the USI configs, I need to merge it in. Please feel free to keep contributing (please)

Welcome, and done. It's just the LM shelter for now but if you want me to add it to some other parts then let me know.