[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Looks like something push boosters to core stage. Once i saw aerodynamic cone got blue aerodynamic vector pointing away from core stage after separation, maybe thats the reason?
42891111.png

Even two separation motors cant separate it.

1 hour ago, Shlyopa said:

Looks like something push boosters to core stage. Once i saw aerodynamic cone got blue aerodynamic vector pointing away from core stage after separation, maybe thats the reason?
42891111.png

@CobaltWolf @Zorg @Invaderchaos I can confirm, that the boosters fly towards the core. There's like no separation power at all in the decoupler either. The boosters will detach, move away for about a few inches before flying right back to the core. I even tested this with the SAF fairings to see if the problem was the nose cones. It is not. It's either weird aerodynamics on the Saturn IE tanks or the decoupler itself has a problem, I don't know. 

Test vehicle was a Saturn Multi-body with 4 booster instead of 2. 2 boosters had nose cones the other 2 had fairings.  I also shut off the engines during stage sep.

Edit: Upon a second test, the boosters didn't fly away this time. They just flew into the core. There's some force pushing them to the core at stage sep.

Edited by GoldForest

Does anyone know if its possible to install only certain parts of the mod? Cause i absolutely love it but my laptop can't handle it so id like to get maybe a few of my fav rocket parts and the science experiments only.

Tried deleting folders in the gamedata but i think it kinda loveed up my whole ckan and half my mods disappeared and reverted to old versions all of a sudden so i take i kinda broke something hahaha

26 minutes ago, sbiancio said:

Does anyone know if its possible to install only certain parts of the mod? Cause i absolutely love it but my laptop can't handle it so id like to get maybe a few of my fav rocket parts and the science experiments only.

Tried deleting folders in the gamedata but i think it kinda loveed up my whole ckan and half my mods disappeared and reverted to old versions all of a sudden so i take i kinda broke something hahaha

Only way to get certain parts is to delete parts you don't want. 

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Only way to get certain parts is to delete parts you don't want. 

Probably not a good idea in case of BDB because not every part, not even every launcher, has it´s own graphics / texture-sheets (sorry don´t have the correct naming in mind atm) so you could end up breaking multiple parts that you just don´t like to kill if you are not carefull while deleting files. That´s the same reason for the fact that there aren´t any split BDB versions like for Tantares where you got Tantares LV, Spacecraft etc.

Just now, JoeSheridan said:

Probably not a good idea in case of BDB because not every part, not even every launcher, has it´s own graphics / texture-sheets (sorry don´t have the correct naming in mind atm) so you could end up breaking multiple parts that you just don´t like to kill if you are not carefull while deleting files. That´s the same reason for the fact that there aren´t any split BDB versions like for Tantares where you got Tantares LV, Spacecraft etc.

You can safely delete the folder groups like Mercury, or Probe Expansion to prune the size of the mod.

9 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Написал не тому человеку, это не мой скриншот, лол.

Ah
Ouch, I'm sorry :D

On 24.05.2022 at 05:28, JustDark said:

Американцы и Советы на Луне вместе, как мечтал Кеннеди
неизвестный.png

Скрыть содержимое

неизвестный.png

Бонусный снимок в градациях серого

Wow, looks great! Did you deliver the Lunar Rover in conjunction with the LM?

39 minutes ago, Soviet_Velir said:

Wow, looks great! Did you deliver the Lunar Rover in conjunction with the LM?

Kinda, I cheated these up for the screenshot but I did attach the rover by a decoupler

On 6/2/2022 at 6:03 PM, KeaKaka said:

@Pappystein I recall you saying something about the Titan tanks being not fully fuelled, could you give some more information or maybe point me in the direction of a document?

This was from Jso who designed the balance for the mod.  

The Hypergolic Tanks do not take the full volume of each "stage" there is significant space under the skin not occupied by fuel IRL.     Compared to most LFO rockets it is about 87-88% the USEABLE volume of a LF/O tank set.

The alternate LFO tanks would need to be larger to match the mass-density (and therefor stored deltaV) of the Hypergolic fuel.   Since KSP uses Volume for burn rate instead of mass (Mass is 100% how real rockets work,) we have to increase the volume of the LFO because it is Less dense than Hypergolic.

So basically the volume of LF/O to equal the performance stored in Hypergolic fuel is larger than the Hypergolic fuel.   

To me it is kinda funny but the more efficient the fuel the more volume it take sup.  Hydrofloric Acid (Lqd Florurine + Lqd Hydrogen) takes more volume than Hydrolox, Takes more volume than LFO takes more volume than Hypergolic.

On 6/2/2022 at 2:01 AM, Shlyopa said:

42891111.png

On 6/2/2022 at 3:57 AM, GoldForest said:

@CobaltWolf @Zorg @Invaderchaos I can confirm, that the boosters fly towards the core. There's like no separation power at all in the decoupler either. The boosters will detach, move away for about a few inches before flying right back to the core. I even tested this with the SAF fairings to see if the problem was the nose cones. It is not. It's either weird aerodynamics on the Saturn IE tanks or the decoupler itself has a problem, I don't know. 

Test vehicle was a Saturn Multi-body with 4 booster instead of 2. 2 boosters had nose cones the other 2 had fairings.  I also shut off the engines during stage sep.

Edit: Upon a second test, the boosters didn't fly away this time. They just flew into the core. There's some force pushing them to the core at stage sep.

Totally a guess here but could this be related to mass of the decoupler vs the stage?   That was the problem back in the day with the smaller SRMs and BDB decouplers.   IIRC COM or COP needed to be adjusted to compensate.   I do not know how you could do that in this case since the tank is "universal."   Maybe make the decoupler drag ignoring and also reduce the mass to near nothing (0.0001 would be a good number.)   Also a big bump in the thrust of the Seperation motors is probably a good idea!

Edited by Pappystein

On 6/2/2022 at 2:01 AM, Shlyopa said:

42891111.png

I typically have 4 separation motors on each booster. Two at the upper roll pattern and two at the lower roll pattern and it usually provides clean separation.