[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

13 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Ok, thought about this a bit on the drive in to my office. I'd just stick to BDB v1.9 if things are working well for you now - BDB v1.10 was almost entirely focused on updating the Saturn and Apollo parts, so if you're already happily using the existing versions of those, there isn't a lot to get from the update. My chief concern, if you were to try and 'merge' 1.9 and 1.10, is that stuff like the compatibility files, things like that, are all updated and pointing at the new part names, not the old one. So I think if you tried to use BDB v1.10, but with the v1.9 Saturn folder, those Saturn parts would have issues.

I actually did briefly look into that while I was making the shortened S-IVB. I wanted to take the green 'cone', and everything that attached to it, and stick it on the tankbutt in the S-IVB mount. Zorg did the same thing, in reverse, for the single engine S-IV mount. I didn't work well, but I think I can make it work with a bit of elbow grease.

First off - I'm really not taking Gemini requests right now. I've got a pretty long to-do list at the moment.

Regarding "wide nose" Gemini, and this pretty much all applies to the Apollo as well, it's actually a pretty big ask. From a real-life hardware perspective, once you start changing the shape of the capsule like that, you're suddenly designing an entirely new spacecraft. So it's a somewhat unrealistic solution. With the Gemini, you also rapidly lose visibility out the forward windows.

Then there's what it would actually take me, the modder, to do such a thing. I'm going to try and illustrate this, so people understand the problem with doing something like this.
Here's just a normal cylinder, ring of vertices on the top and bottom. It's easy to change the diameter of one end by grabbing them and scaling them.

0aClhSq.png

Here's the Gemini capsule. As you can see, the geometry is much more complex (to a fault, almost), and selecting the top to change the diameter just results in a really jacked up model. Properly changing the slope would take an extensive amount of time moving all those vertices by hand - and the end result probably wouldn't be that good.

pEBA71i.png

Yeah it's been on my to-do list for a bit now.

I don't see why not, I suppose?

have you ever seen this concept?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn-Shuttle 

Just now, TheLoneOne said:

if you for some insane reason were to make this it would be wise to just collaborate with benjee to make it compatible with Sock, would save you the trouble of having to make an entire space shuttle.

1 hour ago, TheLoneOne said:

if you for some insane reason were to make this it would be wise to just collaborate with benjee to make it compatible with Sock, would save you the trouble of having to make an entire space shuttle.

As seen in the screenshot in the other reply you got, we already have 6.25m to 5m adapters. Its pretty easy to just add the external tank to that and build out Saturn shuttle.

Edited by Zorg

1 hour ago, Zorg said:

As seen in the screenshot in the other reply you got, we already have 6.25m to 5m adapters. Its pretty easy to just add the external tank to that and build out Saturn shuttle.

oh oki thanks for the tips

I decided for the launch of the Europa lander named Crete to make my own variation of the NLS/SLS. Though not all Shuttle parts. Though my only nit pick is the S-IC stage cannot be changed into orange but that's just me.

20220616112604_1_by_pudgemountain_df7g4go-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzA0IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjdnNGdvLWJlMWQ0ZmM5LWVhNGQtNGRlZi1hYjI0LTY4OWM2ZjJhNTQwNy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.TVSQvkc0S9SakSZCvMk8M5xAjB06dhB4yZANyEmnryw

The First Stage consist a extended Saturn S-IC stage with 5 F1-B engines and 2 Shuttle SRBs.

20220616112829_1_by_pudgemountain_df7g4gl-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjdnNGdsLTYzMWFlN2E1LTdlOTktNGU2OC05N2EwLTlkODFlMDY2NDRhYi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.Do3Z80TXU3-9RvEXAzl2Gsd9vwdroULVb0OQ-Akh4vI

20220616114001_1_by_pudgemountain_df7g4gi-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjdnNGdpLTRkYmJkYTk2LTNiOGQtNDg3OC1hODJlLWJlZjg2MDhmOWFlMC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.07SwWqXpKVxAUz405TY9J84yaFV1VA3p12X5kGmK0iw

The Second Stage is a S-II stage but with 5 RL20-P3 engines instead of J-2s or J-2X.

20220616114043_1_by_pudgemountain_df7g4gf-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjdnNGdmLWIyYTY4MWVjLTk4MDktNDcxNi05N2U2LTdhODU4Mjg4OTdmZi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.2AAuzUXgxb2yT4IX2i9wed8pnmQoZ1D7JZMpOaLNqcg

20220616114106_1_by_pudgemountain_df7g4gc-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjdnNGdjLWU1NWZiM2ZhLTFmNDItNDE3NC1hZWMzLThjNjY4NjEzYzhiMi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.gEypmqBGc7enK4ZCuoj-phrKsSMvIWDeZ5fndLBYL-M

Crete about to dock with Bradbury.

20220616115404_1_by_pudgemountain_df7g4g7-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjdnNGc3LThjYjQ3NmViLTI1OGUtNGExMS05MWVjLTMxMjg1NzAwZDY1MC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.cT-Fs0maEhPLbvszdlmmAnYzemMYQsDiycBlnsmS3fk

Maybe this rocket will still be known as SLS but instead will stand for Saturn Launch System a successor to the AAP. 

Hello y'all! A bit different from all the Saturn stuff, but we've got 3 new RTGs!

unknown.png

From left to right: GPHS-RTG (Used on Cassini, New Horizons, Ulysses, and Galileo), MHW-RTG (Used on the Voyagers and LES 8/9), and a little baby Radioisotope Heater Unit, which IRL serves to keep electronics warm, but in game it makes a trickle of power output.

These are practically done, and will be in BDB very soon!

On 6/15/2022 at 12:08 PM, Beccab said:

This is more or less the most detailed I've found on that FVLq7M5WAAANGgr?format=png&name=large

While this is an interesting drawing.  The Centaur C (latter re-designated Centaur E) depicted as the landing stage could handle the mass (remember it was NOT A balloon tank Centaur!)  But Boil-off would not allow this to be viable.    

The Lunar Take Off stage APPEARS to be either 2x AJ10s or 2x XLR-81s.      Potentially this could have been 2x Hydrolox fueled engines but I doubt that.      And while I doubt Centaur could have been used as depicted...  It is a pretty awesome set of drawings!   

On 6/15/2022 at 11:31 AM, CobaltWolf said:

FSQMLlOXsAMLXm5?format=png&name=medium

I forgot to ask yesterday,   Are you making the Aft docking Tug for the S-IVC?   I shared those drawings a few months ago when I first found the S-IVC documents (it might have been the same document you got these drawings from I don't remember)

On 6/15/2022 at 9:08 AM, Beccab said:

This is more or less the most detailed I've found on that FVLq7M5WAAANGgr?format=png&name=large

Regardless of the IRL feasibility of the full concept, a mini SM like this for Apollo Jr. would be a lot of fun. Mercury retropack vibes.

@CobaltWolf is this possible?

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron

4 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

It's been been discussed before; search this thread for "Saturn Shuttle". Here's a beautiful sample from @Kuiper_Belt:

dLUHUjk.jpeg

Hmmm, I have seen similar sketches from that era before; but for the first time the logic side of my mind almost wants to go Apollo-Buran.  Perhaps this is why the Russians finally did go Energia-Braun.  Don't get me wrong; I love the Space Transport System (to nowhere); but this pic gives me more a Buran vibe

49 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Regardless of the IRL feasibility of the full concept, a mini SM like this for Apollo Jr. would be a lot of fun. Mercury retropack vibes.

Studying things from the time and  based off many published authors/researchers of the period, I think it was really much more what JFK really had in mind as he wasn't hard sold on long term lunar investment.

3 hours ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Mercury style retropacks were featured in some NAA studies.

Pages_from_Modified_Apollo_Logistics_Spa

Pages_from_Modified_Apollo_Logistics_Spa

Edited by Jcking

30 minutes ago, donnager fan said:

So I was Building the MOL, And a saw some odd parts named "Shuguang - retro, equipment" Etc. So what are these parts for? Are they for a concept that's not on the wiki or are they for the Big Gemini Spacecraft?

They are part of the Dawn of the Dragon alternate history series.

52 minutes ago, donnager fan said:

So I was Building the MOL, And a saw some odd parts named "Shuguang - retro, equipment" Etc. So what are these parts for? Are they for a concept that's not on the wiki or are they for the Big Gemini Spacecraft?

I asked a similar question 2 weeks ago. My quoted question and the answer is at the link below.

My use differs. It makes an awesome 4-crew direct ascent 2.5x KSRSS Moon lander, able to do more biome hopping than the Apollo LEM, and needs a much smaller lifter than a full Saturn V. Screenshot below.

(In contract mode, Apollo with full science instruments costs me 480k credits to put 2 crew on the Moon. Leo Direct Ascent only costs 134k, has more DV, puts 4 on Moon, and skips 2 docking operations.https://imgur.com/vYnEVK)

vYnEVKl.png

Edited by DeadJohn

53 minutes ago, donnager fan said:

but nobody posts the actual Dawn of the Dragon pictures...

ushDYm1.png?1

temITyO.png

JYdDSkT.png

Around the time the 25kw power power was added, two small docking systems were added as well. A mini apollo-style port in active and passive forms, and a square-shaped passive and active pair specifically stated to be for the 25kw power module.

I want to know how these are intended to come into play? Also, can some one provide the documents these came from?

2 hours ago, shakuvendell said:

Around the time the 25kw power power was added, two small docking systems were added as well. A mini apollo-style port in active and passive forms, and a square-shaped passive and active pair specifically stated to be for the 25kw power module.

I want to know how these are intended to come into play? Also, can some one provide the documents these came from?

The mini Apollo port is for the teleoperator retrieval system to allow it to dock with and reboost satellites.

4 hours ago, shakuvendell said:

I’m not entirely sure either but they we’re for adding modules to it. That section was f the power tower was pressurized.

5 hours ago, shakuvendell said:

So the original intent for this port is so that the power module can be oriented in different ways on the space shuttle orbiter. 

you can find more in the 25kW Power Module Evolution study vol 1-6. Im not sure where to download them from, might be from NTRS? @Teslamax sent them to me.