[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

4 minutes ago, septemberWaves said:

@Zorg Is that the independently-launched Apollo Telescope Mount I see there? Or is it just a temporary kitbash for now?

just a kitbash for now. But I think something could be whipped up easily from the LM Lab service module when thats done.

15 minutes ago, JustDark said:

Some concept art I've seen has solar panels on the SLA petals, are those planned as well?

Probably? its under consideration but we've not really gotten too far on that apart from: "hey we should make that at some point"

42 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Your next WIP screenshot will get 10 likes, and you'll receive downloads. 

I also promise I will never recreate the C-8 if the SLA gets solar panels

Edit: while I'm at it I'll put this here since it's not too relevant anyway, about the IMIS studies mentioned a few times here: remember how the Boeing plans for it required 5 nuclear shuttles while the IPP plan, despite having a nearly identical spacecraft, only three? I think I finally found the reason: the IMIS plan is for a direct opposition class mission to mars and back, while the IPP improved it with the addition of a Venus "swingby" (which I presume is what they used to call a gravitational slingshot) to reduce quite a bit the required delta V. Add to that the choice for the IPP to go to a higly elliptic mars orbit instead of circularizing, and you've saved enough fuel to be able to remove two nuclear shuttles from your plans.

The only thing that could have reduced even more the required fuel is aerobraking at mars, which was in fact studied for that exact mission plan by NAR, but I guess NASA wasn't convinced they could have achieved that by the 1981 crewed mars landing

Edited by Beccab

On 6/20/2022 at 1:42 PM, Zorg said:

A new combo airlock/docking adapter for wet workshops (and also EOSS). Will fit inside the SLA with room for a Block 2 Apollo above if you wish to launch with it. Also sufficient clearance for radial docking of Apollo or LM ATM/labs . Coming Soon (tm).

Could really use this for additional docking on the Skylab.  Current build uses the 1.8m end and a second docking section to extend with total of 3 ports on the second one.  Also, has the EOSS package on the rear.  Going for a second gen skylab that is designed for long term use and resupply missions.

By the way, anyone have source reference to what EOSS was to be?  The russian caption in the color photo doesn't do this American anything.,.

23 minutes ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

By the way, anyone have source reference to what EOSS was to be?  The russian caption in the color photo doesn't do this American anything.,.

EOSS, ie Early Orbital Space Station. I had previously assumed it would be a more advanced follow up to a basic wet workshop but actually it seems like an accelerated program to get a space station into orbit by 1972 (makes more sense given the name). I dont know the exact context that places this study against other AAP ideas but the only detailed (or otherwise) document I've found is only available on Aerospace Projects Reviews/Scott Lowther patreon backlog so I can't share it in full.

The timeline seems super agressive though since it seems way more generously outfitted than Skylab with the Lox tank fully utilised and even a centrifuge module etc.

A little excerpt though:

https://up-ship.com/blog/?p=33990

EOSS_0027.jpg

See the human scale centrifuge with 2 seats above the lox tank

27 minutes ago, Future Astronaut said:

When will v1.11 be released? This summer? @Zorg@CobaltWolf

Pace of development on BDB varies up and down depending on the authors free time/motivation etc. And the later always goes down in the final polishing phase before a release :P We genuinely don't know the timeline until its almost ready.

Edited by Zorg

7 minutes ago, Transformatron said:

Having SIb troubles again, with the H1s in the original config and the SM set to orbital I only have a twr of 0.93.  Playing in 2.5 KSRSS.unknown.png

Is the SIB the basic unstretched variant? Is your 2nd stage SIVB set to cryo fuel, or something heavier?

1 hour ago, SpaceFace545 said:

What is the config for the Service Module. It should be orbital.

he shows it's set to orbital in the picture.

2 hours ago, Transformatron said:

Having SIb troubles again, with the H1s in the original config and the SM set to orbital I only have a twr of 0.93.  Playing in 2.5 KSRSS.unknown.png

my question is have you reduced the ammount of ablator on the heatshield, since i have a feeling that might be the issue

2 hours ago, Transformatron said:

Remember, the rocket in the original S-iV (not the S-I B) was something that they though would get the job done and the S-IB had to go with a lower fuel level in the SM.  I figure supplies and any LS mod are really cutting into the margins. 

3 hours ago, Transformatron said:

there must be massive dry mass issues with your rocket, while I have experienced TWR issues with Saturn 1B launching historical payloads myself, never did it go below like 1.05 TWR