[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

AAP-2: Somebody Help Me I Can't Stop Making Centaur-Derived Stations:

DrQlk7V.png

The first mission under the Apollo Applications banner had used a modified Lunar Module as an orbital astronomy platform, and had achieved remarkable success during its weeklong mission. With Saturn IC's manned flights delayed into 1977 and the Shuttle still at least three years from flightworthiness, NASA found itself relying heavily on these free-flying AAP missions to maintain its reputation and experience in manned spaceflight. The second flight of the series was scheduled for December of 1976, and would focus on earth observation. Original plans for the Geophysical Observation Long-Duration Flight (GOLF) involved launching a Block II Apollo onboard a Saturn IB or IC and using the instruments in the SIM bay to study the planet over a two or three week stay in orbit. However a mission like this would be little more than a less-ambitious copy of the J-series lunar flights, and would be a poor use of the remaining Apollo hardware. In an attempt to provide GOLF with more capability, the mission profile was altered to make use of a Saturn V to launch both the Apollo and a laboratory module into an elliptical orbit. The laboratory would be none other than the flight backup from the Gemini-MOL mission, in which the crew of Gemini 10 spent a month in space aboard a primitive space station built from a Centaur-D rocket stage. Unfortunately, with a full decade having passed since the original MOL flight it was soon realized that the backup Centaur would require too much work to renovate and modernize for use by Apollo, and it was deemed more efficient to simply pull a new Centaur from the production lines and start from scratch. The Geophysical Observation Platform (GOP), as the Centaur-Lab would be named, featured numerous upgrades over its ancestor, such as modernized electronics, more efficient solar arrays, more optimized interior volume, and various other enhancements developed using the lessons learned aboard Skylab. Most notably, the GOP featured a proper access tunnel, eliminating the need for a dangerous EVA from the spacecraft to the lab. 

BHvjI6q.png

Like during the AAP-1 flight six months prior, the Cape was flooded with spectators hoping to see the final Saturn V roar skywards. Heavy rocketry the likes of the mighty Saturn would not be seen again until the Shuttle entered service in the coming years, and this poignant moment was accompanied by much ceremony and fanfare.

S4mro6U.png

hmL82zB.png

T3bjHPr.png

8lLwj1n.png

YBN5v5y.png

Like the previous flight, AAP-2 was inserted into a circular parking orbit, after which the S-IVB reignited to lift the spacecraft into an eccentric orbit from which the crew could perform certain high-altitude observations early into the mission. Following engine shutdown, the command module Constitution separated from its booster and retrieved the GOP.

ol8lX0k.png

After several hours in the initial elliptical orbit, the spacecraft fired its SPS to return to a safer circular orbit for the remainder of the flight.

eLjXcMs.png

With the tunnel between the CSM and GOP opened, the available living space was effectively double what a standard Apollo CSM-LM stack offered. Additionally, inside the GOP the crew had access to refrigerated food storage, an exercise station, and a shower and toilet, all derived from the equipment used on Skylab. Although all three astronauts could comfortably share the space inside the GOP, one crewmember remained in the Command Module at all times to monitor spacecraft systems and respond to emergencies.

TBh7x7X.png

On its exterior, the laboratory featured a suite of observation instruments, some identical to those on Skylab, others modified from lunar SIM bay experiments. The data from the radiometer, radar, and spectrometer could be transmitted directly back to Earth, while equipment for developing film from the mapping camera and analyzing materials samples was inside the GOP itself for the crew to use.

O3Czb3J.png

Having proved extremely popular on the AAP-1 mission, the public experiments section was also present on AAP-2. Many of these contraptions were simply reverse-engineered versions of experiments flown on previous NASA missions, but they provided students and schools to directly engage with the American space program and provided a massive boon to public relations within NASA.

xCwaZEt.png

An additional pallet extended from a thermal protective casing and attached to the inflated airlock. This assembly contained most of the NASA-sponsored materials samples which would need to be retrieved for analysis by a spacewalking astronaut.

p7ZViOh.png

The retrieval EVA would take place halfway into the mission, after which the crew's focus would shift from data collection to analysis. Cameras aboard the spacecraft provided mission controllers and spectators a colorized television picture of the entire procedure.

8MJPY8e.png

5DonqtR.png

The astronaut also retrieved a sample package from the student-sponsored experiments containing, among other thing, a commemorative coin bearing the logo of Auburn University.

M5qh8rm.png

AsrpYiA.png

xxhjxFq.png

After stowing the sample cases in the airlock, the astronaut moved to the opposite side of the spacecraft to retrieve film cassettes from the orbital mapping camera.

sfYeIgg.png

Following the conclusion of the retrieval spacewalk, the protected sample pallet was closed and the airlock deflated. It would still be available in case an emergency EVA was required.

y9Z1gxm.png

UbTPGpY.png

Throughout the mission's final week, the crew would split their time operating the telemetric-based experiments, continuing handheld photography through the windows, and developing mapping camera film. The latter was done in orbit as a technological demonstration rather than for any practical benefit.

w81T1Je.png

With the fifteen-day stay in orbit complete, the crew return to Constitution and jettison the GOP.

7tMOstw.png

XdYojnh.png

Reentry began several hours later, and the spacecraft descended over the usual splashdown zone southeast of Hawaii.

S2TCvQC.png

doTnKdV.png

AAP-2 would be the final flight of both Saturn V and Apollo Block II. Saturn IC's first manned flight would happen the following April, performing the third flight of the AAP series, and the Approach and Landing Tests with Space Shuttle Enterprise would take place through the spring and summer of 1977. Apollo-Saturn would continue flights for years to come, but never again would the roar of five F-1 engines be heard in the skies over the Cape.

1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

AAP-2: Somebody Help Me I Can't Stop Making Centaur-Derived Stations:

My god that looks beautiful. Not just the screenshots, but the kitbashing as well, with all the little giblets and details everywhere. I'd love to be able to do something like this, but I can't imagine the hell that is part counts if everything was like this.

14 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

LRV теперь должен быть на GitHub. Спасибо и огромный привет@pTrevTrevs,@OrbitalManeuvers,@Роджер,@Pioneer_Steveа также@Sgt.Shutesieза ваши бесценные отзывы, устранение неполадок и вклад в процессе! LRV может быть моей любимой вещью, которую я когда-либо делал для KSP, нереально увидеть ее в игре и работать так хорошо, как она работает (плохо, но лучше, чем я думал).

Над ним еще много работы, но на данный момент все основы должны работать достаточно хорошо. Есть еще несколько деталей текстур, которые я пропустил, и большинство научных частей еще не полностью настроены. Но вы можете развернуть и собрать его и сделать скриншоты:П

Руководство по сборке, процедуры развертывания и инструкции по поверхностной сборке появятся в некоторый момент перед выпуском.

042Голбат.png

Oh, thats awesome!Congratulate with this! 
I now check GitHub and dont see update with LRV...Maybe i some not understand?RxdL8h1-3E808-Qa-isxhukfvjzeRpbe40Exp30x

55 minutes ago, Soviet_Velir said:

Oh, thats awesome!Congratulate with this! 
I now check GitHub and dont see update with LRV...Maybe i some not understand?

It's in the commits, not the releases. Press the "< > Code" button at the top left.
Then where you see the "Master" drop down box, drop it down. 
Switch to "1.11 Development"
Then hit the green "Code" drop down menu
Press "Download ZIP"

10 minutes ago, Soviet_Velir said:

Okay, now i have another question:D
Where i can find craftfile LM with LRV?....I just dont know how build and integrate LRV....

Not yet.  Craft files and build guides will follow Soon™.  There's a video a page or two back in the meantime that helps.

Edited by Friznit

14 minutes ago, Friznit said:

Еще нет. Файлы для создания и руководства по сборке будут выпущены в ближайшее время™. Тем временем есть видео на странице или две назад, которое помогает.

Okay, i wait for guide!Thanks!)

Sina MLEM-CSL Laboratory Module is not a lab yet? Did I simply not notice the Lander Lab was missing lab abilities a few weeks ago? I launched on tonight that I built a few weeks ago, and am kind of disappointed. If it's not finished, it's not finished, I just wanna confirm if it's not finished.

32 minutes ago, shakuvendell said:

Sina MLEM-CSL Laboratory Module is not a lab yet? Did I simply not notice the Lander Lab was missing lab abilities a few weeks ago? I launched on tonight that I built a few weeks ago, and am kind of disappointed. If it's not finished, it's not finished, I just wanna confirm if it's not finished.

Dude, it's the dev branch, nothing there is completely finished. You use it at your own risk. What did you expect?

I have been testing the new LRV. It is simply fantastic! A true work of art and a credit to the BDB Dev Team. The lack of a rover was the major gap that still existed in the BDB Apollo Saturn lineup. I do realize how difficult it must have been to work on it, so that makes the effort all the more appreciated.

A couple of observations during my initial test, some of which could admittedly be caused by me being a dolt:

DO NOT put any of the rover parts in the rover storage slots while in the VAB. It can cause RUDs to occur once you leave the VAB. I assembled the rover, put the remaining parts in the rover's storage slots, attached the rover to my J-class LM, then launched the LM out to the pad with the intention of doing a Hyperedit to the lunar surface. As soon as the LM touched down on the pad on Earth, the rover would partially explode. After a couple of resets, I went back to the VAB and moved the items out of the rover storage and into the LM storage. No more RUDs.

Once on the moon, the deployment went fine, with the initial assembly going well until I got to the aft pallet. Despite me manipulating it around it was still crooked by a small amount, smaller than the fine rotation of 5 deg could fix. This may be me gooning it up. Also, the antenna that attached to the aft pallet was very difficult to orient into the correct position for attachment. It ended up clipping to the main rover plate in a weird position. These two issues may be caused by the limitations of the game's construction mode. I am not sure if the dev team can fix it.

Lastly, during the test drive I found that the wheels turned left and right, a lot. If I tapped and held the A or D button the wheels would turn to a 90 deg position, perpendicular to the chassis. This makes for some very sporty turns! Is there an adjustment for this?

All in all this is an amazing effort that I am grateful to have. Just a few more tweaks and it should be good to go. Thanks @CobaltWolf!

6 hours ago, Friznit said:

Not yet.  Craft files and build guides will follow Soon™.  There's a video a page or two back in the meantime that helps.

I have seen the WIP build guide and it is crisp I tell you.

2 hours ago, shakuvendell said:

Did you also log this on Github? Or did two people realize the issue within 24 hours of each other haha

I can't believe I didn't add it the first time around, but YES it's supposed to have some sort of low-mid tier laboratory functionality. The LM variants are all in various states of unfinished - I got them all roughly in game and then the LRV took over my life since mid-May. They all need a bit more work before they're ready to release. I think there's still some silly message I wrote on the LM Truck platform...

Just now, DaveyJ576 said:

DO NOT put any of the rover parts in the rover storage slots while in the VAB. It can cause RUDs to occur once you leave the VAB. I assembled the rover, put the remaining parts in the rover's storage slots, attached the rover to my J-class LM, then launched the LM out to the pad with the intention of doing a Hyperedit to the lunar surface. As soon as the LM touched down on the pad on Earth, the rover would partially explode. After a couple of resets, I went back to the VAB and moved the items out of the rover storage and into the LM storage. No more RUDs.

Good to know. The cargo space in the LRV itself isn't intended for any of the parts - I put it in so people can use it to set up ALSEP stations that weren't directly next to the LM. The LRV bits should all be stuffed into the Q3 Cargo part that was added a few weeks ago, though iirc one or two need to go in the descent stage due to space limitations.

Just now, DaveyJ576 said:

Once on the moon, the deployment went fine, with the initial assembly going well until I got to the aft pallet. Despite me manipulating it around it was still crooked by a small amount, smaller than the fine rotation of 5 deg could fix. This may be me gooning it up. Also, the antenna that attached to the aft pallet was very difficult to orient into the correct position for attachment. It ended up clipping to the main rover plate in a weird position. These two issues may be caused by the limitations of the game's construction mode. I am not sure if the dev team can fix it.

You should be able to use the non-snapping adjustments by clicking the angle snapping button in the lower left, same as the VAB.

2 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Lastly, during the test drive I found that the wheels turned left and right, a lot. If I tapped and held the A or D button the wheels would turn to a 90 deg position, perpendicular to the chassis. This makes for some very sporty turns! Is there an adjustment for this?

Uh, that sounds wrong. @Rodger is this your doing? :P

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

I have seen the WIP build guide and it is crisp I tell you.

Did you also log this on Github? Or did two people realize the issue within 24 hours of each other haha

I can't believe I didn't add it the first time around, but YES it's supposed to have some sort of low-mid tier laboratory functionality. The LM variants are all in various states of unfinished - I got them all roughly in game and then the LRV took over my life since mid-May. They all need a bit more work before they're ready to release. I think there's still some silly message I wrote on the LM Truck platform...

Good to know. The cargo space in the LRV itself isn't intended for any of the parts - I put it in so people can use it to set up ALSEP stations that weren't directly next to the LM. The LRV bits should all be stuffed into the Q3 Cargo part that was added a few weeks ago, though iirc one or two need to go in the descent stage due to space limitations.

You should be able to use the non-snapping adjustments by clicking the angle snapping button in the lower left, same as the VAB.

Uh, that sounds wrong. @Rodger is this your doing? :P

the lrv works well, only issue seams to be it liking to bounce severely when first spawning in if spawned in on its own.
 unknown.png

1 minute ago, Rodger said:

Not getting 90 degree wheels here...

Neither am I, wheels are turning normally.

Anyway, got around to actually testing the LRV out:

O59mUzm.pngb2KPkPd.png

No problems that I can see in steering and handling.  When constructing, I unfolded the LRV, then detached it, and it went rolling away cause there's no power to engage the breaks.  Luckily it wasn't going fast so a Kerbal caught it and brought it back.  I guess I was constructing it wrong, need to add power before detaching from the MLEM.

Other than the KSP Community Fix Robotic Drift fix incompatibility, things seem fine so far!

@TheLoneOneIf you want to spawn it in on it's own, try setting the hinges to 177 instead of fully 180 degrees open. And the suspension doesn't handle 1g well, it'll be riding on max compression, which causes some weirdness.

Edited by Rodger

After reading the above replies, I went back and tested again with a brand new from scratch build. Still getting the 90 degree wheel turn. Both front and back wheels on the side of the turn will pivot to 90 degrees (perpendicular). The wheels on the opposite side of the turn will pivot to the "normal" amount. Since I am the only one getting this problem it must be related to my install. Log and gamedata folder below.

Spoiler

nJWPCnt.jpg

Edited by DaveyJ576

17 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

After reading the above replies, I went back and tested again with a brand new from scratch build. Still getting the 90 degree wheel turn. Both front and back wheels on the side of the turn will pivot to 90 degrees (perpendicular). The wheels on the opposite side of the turn will pivot to the "normal" amount. Since I am the only one getting this problem it must be related to my install. Log and gamedata folder below.

Hide contents

nJWPCnt.jpg

You might need to try in ksp 1.12.3 first, it shouldn’t break any of the mods

6 hours ago, shakuvendell said:

APOLLO (edit; because even ETS says APOLLO) MLEM-CSL Laboratory Module is not a lab yet? Did I simply not notice the Lander Lab was missing lab abilities a few weeks ago? I launched on tonight that I built a few weeks ago, and am kind of disappointed. If it's not finished, it's not finished, I just wanna confirm if it's not finished.

Pretty sure that will be a working lab SOONTM .  But I would not expect much speed in the processing of science.  Given the limited facilities... And it is Dev branch, so at least we have a toy to tempt us for future possibilities....

56 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

The LRV keeps on flipping my LEM around whenever I try to deploy it. 

Like a ground collision Kraken? 

What point in the deployment? 

"Keeps" multiple times at same step? 

On the pad or planetary surface away from pad?

Sorry, got stuck in t/s mode there for a minute...

On 7/11/2022 at 2:00 PM, Beccab said:

Apollo based solar electric propulsion test. God, I love the LRV robotic parts
Screenshot_13545.pngScreenshot_13552.pngScreenshot_13560.pngScreenshot_13565.pngunknown.pngunknown.png

Your stuff is always so amazing. Do you have a place where you post images other than the BDB forums? I feel like I miss a lot of your stuff as I don’t check the forums as often as I should ;.;

3 hours ago, davidy12 said:

The LRV keeps on flipping my LEM around whenever I try to deploy it. 

Sounds like you've got one of the Kerbal Joint Reinforcement variants installed! That or maybe you've got some errant auto-struts.