[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Forgot to mention it here, but I finally got around to making the 3x S-1D. This is more appropriate for an INT-20 type build with just two stages (the build in the pics kinda sucked tbh). I could also see it being useful with a longer first stage and 2+2 UA120s or something...

LUq5vQ5.png
2cMu2Yu.png

Fatlas 

I love it

12 minutes ago, Adam-Kerman said:

Why does the Lunar Rover seems to be bit a Jumpy on either KSRSS Kerbin or Moon surface?

I posted about this a few pages back here:

On 7/20/2022 at 7:00 PM, Rodger said:

Did you attach all the other parts to the LRM base too? The extra weight form those parts can help.

It's basically because of a bug in Unity when the suspension is maxed out in either direction it can go crazy. Manually tweaking the spring strength can help, try setting it to 0.7 on each wheel if there's no other parts on the base of the rover. You want to make sure the main axle of the wheel is resting around the green line, and doesn't rest touching the red lines:

unknown.png

I can still have another look at the spring strength, but it's hard to balance  for BOTH kerbin and the moon on such a light rover. So I opt for balancing for the moon.

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Forgot to mention it here, but I finally got around to making the 3x S-1D. This is more appropriate for an INT-20 type build with just two stages (the build in the pics kinda sucked tbh). I could also see it being useful with a longer first stage and 2+2 UA120s or something...

Finally! Thank you!

5Hg3b2I.png

Some quick notes on Fatlas-IIAS above:

- Uses common bulkhead variant of S-IC with F-1As, shortest S-IVB with J-2A2 and four Soltan boosters (two ground-lit, two air-lit).

- Rotate the 1st stage 45 degrees in VAB for proper flight attitude.

- SRB decouplers (BDB mediums) are attached to the skirt.

- Tested with 10 tons to 130x130 km, 28deg orbit (CCAFS in 2.5x KSRSS)

- Watch your TWR if you want to use auto-jettison feature on the skirt. The optimal moment for skirt jettisoning is around 3G. The rocket can reach it with air-lit SRBs still burning; I recommend to either disable the auto-jettisoning, or to set it somewhat above 3G. Another interesting option is to jettison skirt with air-lit SRBs still attached.

2 hours ago, Adam-Kerman said:

And Nodes are also seemingly weird and wheel's springs are at 0.7

t5g5Yh2.png

Do you have the Breaking Ground DLC installed? And using the latest version of dev? If so, post your ksp.log and I'll have a look

1 hour ago, Rodger said:

Do you have the Breaking Ground DLC installed? And using the latest version of dev? If so, post your ksp.log and I'll have a look

Breaking Ground: Affirmative

Dev Version: Pre "Less boing-boing" Commit, latest in Dev: 3x S-1D

So How share / post the log?
Copy and paste contents into a Spoiler?

Edited by Adam-Kerman

Mariner 3-5 is now on github (development branch) in an alpha stage! Parts should be balanced but descriptions/experiments aren't finished yet. Craft files are also on the github for those who need guidance on putting Mariner 3/4 and 5 together. 

screenshot201.png

screenshot204.png

screenshot205.png

screenshot202.png

Spoiler

screenshot188.png
screenshot190.png
screenshot191.png
screenshot192.png
screenshot195.png
screenshot197.png
screenshot198.png
screenshot199.png
screenshot202.png
screenshot203.png
screenshot187.png
screenshot186.png
screenshot185.png
screenshot184.png

@CobaltWolf @Zorg @Invaderchaos Not really a bug, but just wanted to let you know the S-IVF is twisted 180 degrees around by default. The forward electrical/fuel connection port is on the left when you first pull the part from the list. It's no big deal as we can rotate it to the right orientation, just thought I'd point it out.

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@CobaltWolf @Zorg @Invaderchaos Not really a bug, but just wanted to let you know the S-IVF is twisted 180 degrees around by default. The forward electrical/fuel connection port is on the left when you first pull the part from the list. It's no big deal as we can rotate it to the right orientation, just thought I'd point it out.

Fixed. And I'm able to do config fixes like this, (I'm the new "cfg monkey" for BDB lol) so feel free to tag me instead of Cobalt etc for small bugs.

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

These parts look amazing! Do you have plans for a switchable control direction on the core?

Already a feature. Similar to how coatl did it, the control point is built into the engine. Works better than it would if it was on the core IMO

Summary of 1978: Mode 1A:

f00rdpe.png

January: Explorer 57, also known as the International Ultraviolet Explorer, launches from Cape Canaveral onboard a Delta 2914. Arriving in a 28-degree geosynchronous orbit, the spacecraft begins performing ultraviolet observations of celestial objects:

dlKOFb8.png

xe1WBiW.png

j0MJKzQ.png

AZk85iC.png

9PXpxXx.png

February: The Orbiting Primate Spacecraft has been in space for just under a year, and the crew of AAP-4 are minutes away from launching to retrieve it. Telemetry shows both rhesus monkeys aboard the OPS are still in good health, although likely growing tired of their situation. Since the first manned Saturn IC launch a year and a half ago, the new vehicle has maintained an unprecedented launch cadence for a vehicle of its size, with one leaving the pad once every six weeks on average. So far, every launch has been successful, and the apprehensions about the new vehicle are beginning to fade. AAP-4 is expected to be a milk-run of a mission, lasting no more than two days, during which the crew will capture the OPS and perform an EVA to retrieve its occupants from inside. With two minutes to go until liftoff, the astronauts aboard the command module Bunker Hill relax in their couches, rather pleased with what seems to be nothing more than two days of free flight time ahead...

YFfsQfa.png

SA-308 roars to life on Pad 34, and the now-familiar sound of the single F-1A engine resounds throughout the Cape.

Immediately after clearing the tower, however, the crew and mission controllers notice problems. Although the Apollo Guidance Computer has correctly entered P11, the ascent guidance routine, the pitch angles are all wrong. The Saturn is tilting downwards at a frightening rate, and to complicate matters the IU appears not to accept the emergency manual control command. Out of options and facing a rogue launch vehicle, the commander twists the abort handle.

4f2wSGd.png

Over the course of the next five seconds, the crew are subjected to a face-melting acceleration well in excess of ten Gs. The Saturn booster continues to pitch out of control and is destroyed by range safety as soon as the command module is a safe distance away. 

kAphbOs.png

As the canards deploy to flip the spacecraft around for landing, the wind blows it inland. Fearing a rough touchdown on Merritt Island, launch operators begin evacuating spectators from the observation areas along the Banana River causeway.

pwbz5uS.png

Fortunately the trajectory falls some distance to the north, and the command module parachutes deploy over the Titan III Solid Motor Assembly Building.

6zkDzzi.png

Bunker Hill touches down in an inlet near Futch Point, a frightening thirty feet from the waterline. Within minutes it drifts closer to the shore and becomes lodged on a small underwater object, possibly a sandbar or submerged log.

qUUSAQY.png

Upon recovery the capsule is found to be covered in swamp weeds and mud, but the crew are all unharmed. AAP-4 marks the first operation of a launch escape system outside of test scenarios, and vindicates the system's usefulness in an era where spaceflight is taken increasingly for granted. Saturn IC will not fly for several months, as an investigation board identifies and rectifies the problems which led to this incident. Everyone involved is aware that the outcome could have been much worse. Had the IU failed seconds earlier the vehicle might have crashed into the launch tower, or had it failed near MaxQ the high angle of attack induced by the Saturn might have torn the vehicle apart. The OPS which was to be retrieved today does have enough contingency supplies for another three months, but after that the health of the occupants is not guaranteed...

March-April: Meanwhile, the crew of Skylab 7 continues their four-month endurance mission in orbit. The launch failure on AAP-4 was quickly traced to the Saturn IU rather than the Apollo spacecraft itself, averting the possibility of an early return for the crew. Skylab 7's main objectives, in addition to the standard solar observation and medical research, include continued station renovation both inside and outside the pressure hull. Most notably, during an EVA lasting several hours, the crew installed a set of five handrails along the starboard side of the orbital workshop to enable easier access to the solar wing and the systems at the rear of the station. As plans for Skylab's continued service develop further, it has become increasingly clear that the RCS, radiators, and ECS equipment on the back of the station will eventually need servicing. Unwilling to allow even more vital hardware to decay before the arrival of the Space Shuttle and its lauded robotic manipulator arm, the MSC has packed the necessary supplies aboard the most recent Aardvark for the interim crews to perform what maintenance they can.

KCsfd3L.png

Cg4jIEa.pngCg4jIEa.png

BMMPfQX.png

UPXxMQ1.png

9w6YYky.png

VLBwPgU.png

March: The first member of the US Navy's FLTSATCOM constellation launches from the Cape aboard an Atlas-Centaur. FLTSATCOM will enable high-speed secure communications for the Navy, Air Force, and Presidential Command Network, and at full strength will comprise a system of five satellites in GEO. The most notable feature of this new satellite design is its large parabolic transmitter dish, extending out from the front of the bus and requiring the spacecraft's solar panels to be mounted on extended booms to clear the rim. It is curious that FLTSATCOM was launched on Atlas-Centaur, rather than the military's customary Titan 23C, but my best guess is that this was because of the project's origin with the Navy rather than the Air Force.

vmSBIeQ.png

bASFioY.png

0Qi1bYA.png

HLfF6u9.png

MF1ggo4.png

May: The first in a pair of spacecraft termed "Pioneer Venus" departs on its mission. The Pioneer Venus Orbiter will be the first American spacecraft to orbit the second planet and will perform the first in-depth observations of the planet from space. Using cloud-penetrating radar, the probe will also create the first maps of the planet's surface, providing NASA with a rare look beneath the thick haze which constantly obscures the planet.

As a side note, I'm a little surprised @Invaderchaos did not immediately put in for a restraining order when I showed him this.

As a side-side note, I also made this before the Mariner 3-5 parts were released on the dev branch. Too bad, because I noticed a couple of them would have worked extremely well in this kitbash...

oOG53kf.png

jvKvulE.png

DrKbdfk.png

Kitbashers win again.

August: Two months later, the second Pioneer Venus spacecraft launches, carrying a set of four atmospheric probes to investigate the depths of the Venusian clouds. Three small probes will be scattered across various places on the surface, with one larger probe equipped with a parachute for a longer and more capable study of the atmosphere. None of the four are designed to survive the descent or to return data from the surface, although this possibility has not been ignored by the designers. Venus's atmosphere is so incredibly thick that even the smaller probes have a chance to land safely in spite of their lack of parachutes, if they aren't crushed by the pressure first.

NeZ7e1z.png

ivFg85V.png

Rz7wOIg.png

xefiWg9.png

Edited by pTrevTrevs

6 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Summary of 1978: Mode 1A:

August: Two months later, the second Pioneer Venus spacecraft launches, carrying a set of four atmospheric probes to investigate the depths of the Venusian clouds. Three small probes will be scattered across various places on the surface, with one larger probe equipped with a parachute for a longer and more capable study of the atmosphere. None of the four are designed to survive the descent or to return data from the surface, although this possibility has not been ignored by the designers. Venus's atmosphere is so incredibly thick that even the smaller probes have a chance to land safely in spite of their lack of parachutes, if they aren't crushed by the pressure first.

Invaderchaos: "I want to make Pioneer Venus, but making it is a little difficult..."
pTrevTrevs: "Hold my satellite bus!" Alternative: "Hold my booster."

Edited by GoldForest