[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

13 hours ago, 123nick said:

did someone post on this topic and then delete it? im somewhat sure thats what the blue line inbetween posts means, no?

That blue line is below the last post you saw in this thread since you last visited. You cab jump to that point by clicking the blue circle/star to the left of threads

2 hours ago, Sudragon said:

I forgot to disable the decoupler on the SAU. I come burning in, trigger the chute and the experiment flew off. Have you seen how MOLE does parachutes on it's version of the LCM?  it's a side mounted panel.

2 hours ago, Jso said:

The chute works if you don't decouple that science antenna thing? All this time I thought we had to eva to get the results if we wanted to bring it back. 

Short answer - the science was originally going to be in the LCM capsule, and the parachute would be at the base of the SAU. It turns out the game really didn't like having both the Antenna animation and the parachute animation in one part. So I had to jury rig a fix that took almost a month, afterwards I never wanted to look at it again. Honestly, at this point I really don't want to tear apart the Hermes. I used it to test out some stuff for the new shaders I'm using, and I'll probably switch it back to a separate heatshield, but completely remodeling two of the parts doesn't seem worth it at this point. I always just used it like @Jso said - don't get to return it until you unlock EVAs.

1 hour ago, Gaiiden said:

That blue line is below the last post you saw in this thread since you last visited. You cab jump to that point by clicking the blue circle/star to the left of threads

ok thanks

On 20/05/2016 at 7:57 PM, sp1989 said:

@CobaltWolf @Jso I would really like to use the Vinci as my standard orbital launch vehicle but I can't because the parachute system for it keeps killing my Kerbals. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pcybc65bdg6owx6/KSP.log?dl=0

Keeps killing mine too.

When the chute deploys, the Landing Parachute System somehow detaches due to the sudden G-Forces, hits the capsule and sends it plummeting towards the ground in spinning doom.

19 hours ago, Sudragon said:

I forgot to disable the decoupler on the SAU. I come burning in, trigger the chute and the experiment flew off. Have you seen how MOLE does parachutes on it's version of the LCM?  it's a side mounted panel.

18 hours ago, Jso said:

The chute works if you don't decouple that science antenna thing? All this time I thought we had to eva to get the results if we wanted to bring it back. 

The simplest method of all is to manually deploy the chute through the right-click menu (or Part Commander if you use it) and avoid staging it.  Do this and you can return said gooey science stuff without the need for EVAs...

On 5/20/2016 at 7:49 PM, sp1989 said:

Yea I set it to 1500 and I still lost my Kerbals. Forgive me but I am just guessing here. Could it have anything to do with the fact that the parachute doesn't show up as a parachute but as a decoupler? 

19 hours ago, BMot360 said:

When the chute deploys, the Landing Parachute System somehow detaches due to the sudden G-Forces, hits the capsule and sends it plummeting towards the ground in spinning doom.

Can y'all download the latest commit off GitHub? I tried to upload some possible fixes for the Gemini parts - basically I strengthened the joints between the pod, RCS module, and the parachute. Let me know if it helps - make sure you build the crafts from scratch, I don't know if using old ones will have an effect.

Ideally, I would want you to explicitly recreate the circumstances of a reentry that broke the pod (ie tell me what your initial orbit was, and then what your periapsis was for reentry) using the version that breaks, to verify it, then do the same thing with the new version.

There is some weirdness going on with the Github today - if it says the latest commit was 'Added SOLTAN parts' then just download the files from Dropbox.

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Ideally, I would want you to explicitly recreate the circumstances of a reentry that broke the pod

Haven't managed that yet. Got it to stretch once deploying the main at 5000 meters. This is with the old version.

On 2/17/2016 at 7:23 PM, MKSheppard said:

Any chance a properly kerbalized Navaho series of engines could be done?
They form the "missing link" between the early V-2 style engines and heavily simplified (Redstone) engines and the Atlas/Thor/Delta engine configurations.

Essentially, you don't need to do all of these engines; just Navaho Phase IV / Navaho Phase V / Navaho Phase VI; which are basically "lets add more combustion chambers for MOAR THRUST".

@MKSheppard and @TimothyC I was really bored today while waiting for renders and I decided to do something that, well, one person asked for. Back in February. Because I was curious how well it would come out. It doesn't really serve... ANY purpose. But I thought it would be interesting. Yes, I realize that this is so miserably low on my priorities list right now.

Fun fact: I started writing this post at ~2 in the afternoon, then went to grab an in game screenshot of the part. For some reason it WOULD NOT COMPILE at runtime. No idea why, but it took two aggravating hours to get it to work.

XLR-83-NA-1.png

h1KjH2d.png

LdZEfAj.png

(best screenshot 2016)

EDIT: @Jso once I get this uploaded feel free to take a look at my numbers. Right now I have it running at 221-251 ISP, 127 thrust, 0.78 mass. I was trying not to step on the other early engines. Right now it's more expensive than any of the other early game engines. I think I messed up when I interpreted the Navaho as leading to the development of the Redstone and Vanguard engines... the version I based this configuration on is far closer to a cluster of three atlas booster engines! That makes these the massive boosters that would have propelled the original Atlas proposal with the 5 Navaho-derived engines. More info HERE on @MKSheppard's website.

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 minute ago, Jso said:

Am I reading it right? It looks like it's 4 times the thrust of an A-7.

Correct. Remember, the Phase III engine is what became the Redstone. The program then went on to prototype Kerolox fuel, regenerative cooling, gas generator cycles, etc. So there is little resemblance between the Phase III engines and the Phase VI that I made. Frankly at this point I don't think anyone will notice if we just sweep it under the rug. :wink:

10 hours ago, Bev7787 said:

Just downloaded- FASA don't work in 1.1 and I want a 'realistic' launcher pack for my SSRSS install.

Well let me know what you think after you've played with it. :) 

17 hours ago, MKSheppard said:

Nice :cool:

Glad to know you approve! I am not sure if it would be worth it to include other variants right now - I think not. 

EDIT: Also, for those that are looking to test stuff, take a look at the current dev release! The team has been working hard on stuff this past week.
Able/Ablestar/Agena got a significant balance pass, and Agena should be significantly better now - previously, an Ablestar stage had far more dV than an Agena stage of similar size. The Agena D engine now features a fuel cell, to make the stage more self sufficient. This does not impact its weight. The Agena engines should now feel like part of an advanced upper stage, with optimized weight and lots of good little features.
The art updates for Titan, Thor, Redstone, Agena, Vanguard, and Mercury are all also up on the Github, which added normal and specular maps to those parts. They aren't final but I'd like to know what people think. The Navaho engine was also uploaded, so I didn't accidentally delete it.
@Jso also added compatibility with RealChutes, and is working on adding compatibility for @Nertea's Cryogenic Engines mod. MM configs are on the Github.
There are also thrust curves for many of the booster (ie non-vacuum) solid motors, again courtesy of @Jso. Give them a try!

EDIT2: Also, last time I streamed it came up, but I do intend to make a standalone launch clamp pack with 4-5 different kinds of towers. It's fairly far back on the priorities list, but y'all let me know what you want to see. Obvious one would be the Redstone clamp, since it's already mostly modeled. 

I'm starting to feel bad about all these partially finished things with the mod. I've just been bouncing around between whatever I feel like working on. Once I get back from the trip I'll try and prioritize what I have. There won't be another major release for a while yet, I have a lot of stuff that needs to be in the next update. Bare minimum would be finishing DKAP/MOS, Sarnus C-1, and the Centaur revamp. But then there's all this other stuff... Like, I was playtesting some stuff the other day and I felt like I could have used more variety in probe cores. There are a lot of sortof half-finished probe cores I have sitting in the Probes Expansion Maya files, I'd love to see the Sputnik 3 in game, and @Drakenex makes a compelling argument for the remaining Lunar Orbiter parts. Ack, why are there not enough hours in the day???

Edited by CobaltWolf

59 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

EDIT2: Also, last time I streamed it came up, but I do intend to make a standalone launch clamp pack with 4-5 different kinds of towers. 

Yes..... a million times yes!

On 23/05/2016 at 5:40 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Can y'all download the latest commit off GitHub? I tried to upload some possible fixes for the Gemini parts - basically I strengthened the joints between the pod, RCS module, and the parachute. Let me know if it helps - make sure you build the crafts from scratch, I don't know if using old ones will have an effect.

Ideally, I would want you to explicitly recreate the circumstances of a reentry that broke the pod (ie tell me what your initial orbit was, and then what your periapsis was for reentry) using the version that breaks, to verify it, then do the same thing with the new version.

There is some weirdness going on with the Github today - if it says the latest commit was 'Added SOLTAN parts' then just download the files from Dropbox.

The latest commit works fine. Thanks Cobalt.

For information: it looks like you do need to build a new craft for the changes to take effect.

Just now, BMot360 said:

The latest commit works fine. Thanks Cobalt.

For information: it looks like you do need to build a new craft for the changes to take effect.

Can you confirm that it works under circumstances that were causing issues before?

1 hour ago, Drakenex said:

That's not important, I'll be worried if there are not enough alcohol left :sticktongue:

Take your time and enjoy your trip!

I'm actually trying to get off that a bit, haha. Becoming a bit more than a 'want' as of late...

Thank you! I've been looking forward to this fishing trip all my life - finally get to go with my dad and his buddies! They've gone every year the last 25 years, and this is the first year I don't have finals that week.

2 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

Yes..... a million times yes!

Any in particular?

11 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Thank you! I've been looking forward to this fishing trip all my life - finally get to go with my dad and his buddies! They've gone every year the last 25 years, and this is the first year I don't have finals that week.

Take the break and go fishing, it's fun! You deserve it.

16 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Can you confirm that it works under circumstances that were causing issues before?

Yeah. Same orbit, same re-entry periapsis etc.

Just noticed that I'm having problems decoupling the Belle Nose Cone from the Belle Docking Port. It can't be staged. I created an action group on the Belle Docking Port to decouple the node, but the Belle Nose Cone doesn't budge. Do I need to use a stack decoupler?

Just now, BMot360 said:

Yeah. Same orbit, same re-entry periapsis etc.

Just noticed that I'm having problems decoupling the Belle Nose Cone from the Belle Docking Port. It can't be staged. I created an action group on the Belle Docking Port to decouple the node, but the Belle Nose Cone doesn't budge. Do I need to use a stack decoupler?

Ack, I meant to have a decoupler on the bottom node of the nose cone but I forgot to add it in. 

9 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Take the break and go fishing, it's fun! You deserve it.

I know! I'm so excited, but I'm still stuck here for two more nights. I'll see what I can get done.

I'd love to see the Saturn umbilicals, I could probably make my own crew tower with IR, unless you want to make it (doubt it). Saturn Clamps for the base (that gold up inside themselves to protect against the exhaust). Atlas clamps (V ones already exist, so Atlas 1-3). Redstone base clamps. I'm not familiar with Titan clamps, but those as well. Basically clamps for the most common LVs that I use. I need to track down that mod that removes clamps on launch so no more launch clamps of death.

20 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Any in particular?

First off - ENJOY THE TRIP!!!  IMHO your work on this mod alone grants you the right to this trip yearly for the rest of your life! :D 

As to your question re: service structures...a few that come to mind immediately: (obviously the towers, not the entire complex LOL)

Spoiler

Complex 36, the Atlas tower

Atlas_Centaur_27_with_Pioneer_10_on_laun

Complex 14, the Mercury tower

Launch_Complex_14-MA-9.jpg

Complex 41 picturing the Atlas-Juno mission (this one may not be entirely practical since it's a permanent concrete structure, I just like the simple design) :) 

maxresdefault.jpg

And some clamps... The Saturn V clamps of course

main-qimg-f7ebf21639ebc263f93cf514a76e6a

SpaceX Falcon 9 clamps (tower is cool too) although I know this is more modern than historic, again I just dig both of these

Falcon-9_1.jpg

Are the Shuttle towers/clamps out of bounds :P 

sts-135-8.jpg

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Any in particular?

I'd love to have one similar to the one used on the Saturn V. It might be a little difficult to have something similar since that tower is designed for that one rocket but maybe altering it a bit would make it work?

Here's a picture of what I'm referring to!

1024px-Ap11-KSC-69PC-241HR.jpg

4 hours ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

I'd love to see the Saturn umbilicals, I could probably make my own crew tower with IR, unless you want to make it (doubt it). Saturn Clamps for the base (that gold up inside themselves to protect against the exhaust). Atlas clamps (V ones already exist, so Atlas 1-3). Redstone base clamps. I'm not familiar with Titan clamps, but those as well. Basically clamps for the most common LVs that I use. I need to track down that mod that removes clamps on launch so no more launch clamps of death.

3 hours ago, Nhawks17 said:

I'd love to have one similar to the one used on the Saturn V. It might be a little difficult to have something similar since that tower is designed for that one rocket but maybe altering it a bit would make it work?

Here's a picture of what I'm referring to!

4 hours ago, rasta013 said:

First off - ENJOY THE TRIP!!!  IMHO your work on this mod alone grants you the right to this trip yearly for the rest of your life! :D 

As to your question re: service structures...a few that come to mind immediately: (obviously the towers, not the entire complex LOL)

Thanks! This will be by far the longest break I've taken from development on the mod since starting it in September. Not even Fallout 4 took me away for more than a couple days!

Looking at all those pictures y'all posted... hrmm. I don't even know where to begin. The only thing I've really figured out is the Redstone clamp, and then I want to do one like the Athena 2, just a simple pole with electrical leads. Those all look SOOOO complex, like wouldn't know where to start modeling them in a reasonable way. I'll have to look at what Frizzank did to stylize / simplify his.

Athena_2_-_Lunar_Prospector.jpg

Well, here's the H1 WIP. It's very rough but I'd like to get a mockup in game tomorrow if I have time. Bear in mind this is just the diffuse texture - the final product will be fairly shiny. Sorry it's all I managed to get done tonight - RL stuff spilled over into 'me-time'.

TxEbQOl.png

Edited by CobaltWolf