[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

13 hours ago, Abrecan said:

And Skylab will be compatible with BDB, and could you possibly make Skylab as a standalone config for this also? I've been researching many different lab concepts throughout the early US space era and stumbled upon a few which I think would great in this mod. I will say the Apollo LMAL would still make a great addition to this mod, as it bridges Gemini and Apollo quite nicely: slavsmol.gif

Another interesting one I found bridged Mercury and Gemini, The Mercury Space Station. In 1960, McDonnell suggested building a secondary, cylindrical capsule with the main Mercury capsule mounted to one end, and then sticking the whole thing on top of an Atlas LV-3B to fire it into space for a 14 day science lab. Since it would be too heavy for that rocket to lift, the new capsule would have an Agena motor attached to its other end, which would finish pushing the spaceship into orbit. There were two variants as to the challenge of designing such a station (more so imo with the mechanics game-wise): The Mercury Station never got built and likely the kicker was that the Mercury was pretty much an experimental craft. It was never intended to be upgraded and so McDonnell had to resort to a remarkable kludge just to let the astronaut onboard climb between the two pressurized volumes. Ideally there would have been a tunnel directly between the two when they were docked normally, but the Mercury’s retrorockets were in the way. So as designed, this craft would have had to take one of two approaches. Either the Mercury would stay in place and an inflatable half-toroid would join the hatch on the side of the capsule with the hatch on the secondary module, or else the Mercury would bend backwards on a hinge until its side hatch actually touched the side of the new capsule. Only then would the astronaut be able to clamber from one to the other. mercury-space-station.gif

fig3.jpg

Mercury Laboratory Atlas - New Ware - 6

This concept is particularly interesting and would love to see the inflatable toroid version myself :) Sorry for the big post and large pics, but I have been working a lot and haven't had a chance to post. One more thing, looking over  the Mercury capsule, I noticed in that it had a drogue chute in the top cone that did detach for the primary chute to deploy. This would be a nice perspective, as a watch the goo science either explode, or fall to it's demise down below me :D

I'm going to have to give this a try. I also have SSTU installed, so there might be some components from there as well. I've had much success with BDB/SSTU designs.

10 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Loving the SIV-B, Cobalt! Looks great so far! Can't wait for it to be done.

I might need to get the mod a birthday present. I might make a model or something. I'll try. Or do something partially productive to it.

He specifically said not to use it. :P

Please, we have more models than we can handle... A better present would be some UV maps and Textures, or compatibility configs. :)

33 minutes ago, legoclone09 said:

Loving the SIV-B, Cobalt! Looks great so far! Can't wait for it to be done.

I might need to get the mod a birthday present. I might make a model or something. I'll try. Or do something partially productive to it.

My current wish are donations to get Eucl3d models of my personal canon craft files for the Apollo/LEM/Saturn V once they're done. :)

42 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

He specifically said not to use it. :P

Please, we have more models than we can handle... A better present would be some UV maps and Textures, or compatibility configs. :)

Yep, I know. I'm on my phone and was talkig about the pictres of it two pages ago.

EDIT: Sorry for double post, on mobile and posts didn't merge for some reason.

Edited by legoclone09

5 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

I found a little Bug. I use BDB-Version from 28.08.16. The new USI-Lifesupport-config insert Lifesupport but i haven't installed USI. Only Kerbalism.

Could you attach a list of mods and/or a screenshot of one of the affected parts? Now I'm curious as to why this might be occurring. Thanks!

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

I already have them modeled though... :( along with the Blok 1 AARDV. The Saturn 1C is also being modeled as I type by Venomous.

Hey, I have an idea - put up the upgrades (block II, AARDV) in order.

that way, we can get the game models the way we got (or would get) it in real life!

Edited by Rory Yammomoto

7 hours ago, drskitts said:

I have got to learn how to do this stuff.  I have blender and no idea how to use it.  I got a 13 hour bus trip in a couple of weeks.  Maybe that will be a good time to F$%# around with it.  BTW, how was your trip @CobaltWolf?

It was... exhausting. lol.

Anyways, Saturn V is done...

E2qIAV9.png

Wait a second...

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Anyways, Saturn V is done...

E2qIAV9.png

Wait a second...

Now I'm not unhappy today and tomorrow will be a washout here. Between this and the new scripting module in MechJeb, only the Swedish Bikini Team could entice me away from my computer.

Gawd, that sounds so pathetic... #KSPnerdproblems