[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

38 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

Rival? This mod SURPASSED it quite a long time ago.

Yeah, I can see. :D

39 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

My biggest KSP sin: having the game since 2013 and STILL not knowing how to rendezvous :huh::blush::(

Tutorials. You need them

3 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

I've actually gotten better at doing that. Still could use some improvement.

Yeah, after a while of practice, you get pretty good at it. Just takes time. It took me 4 months to get it down. Granted, I only got it while it was in 0.24 (as in, when Mk3 parts were still useless, low-res and all in all weird,) but you get the idea.

Edited by TopHeavy11

47 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Apparently I'm a huge toolbox. Yesterday I made this while I was letting particle simulations cache on a lab computer. I uploaded it to imgur. And promptly forgot to post it. Apparently.

~snip~

Is Skylab hype a thing?

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Apparently I'm a huge toolbox. Yesterday I made this while I was letting particle simulations cache on a lab computer. I uploaded it to imgur. And promptly forgot to post it. Apparently.

<snip>

Dear GOD that was fast.

2 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

Dear GOD that was fast.

Noodling a rough model in Maya is the fast part. Talk to me again once I start UV unwrapping. :wink: I worked on it some more earlier today, started getting the ATM modeled... finding orthographic reference for that thing is a pain, as it turns out. I'll be bouncing between that and the Apollo stuff and probably some other things. I don't have a set plan/schedule for what will be in the next release, other than a big balance pass on the new stuff once everything for 1.2 is updated and we can get some more serious playtesting done; I don't think they're (over)performing the same as the other LVs.

@CobaltWolf, shower thought: not to cramp your artistic creativity, but as the Skylab is starting to be a thing... How horrible is it to line up an existing IVA? We got lucky on kerpollo, but I'm eyeing the Bigby lab... Feel free to turn the fire hose on me if this is a ridiculous thought :P 

5 minutes ago, komodo said:

@CobaltWolf, shower thought: not to cramp your artistic creativity, but as the Skylab is starting to be a thing... How horrible is it to line up an existing IVA? We got lucky on kerpollo, but I'm eyeing the Bigby lab... Feel free to turn the fire hose on me if this is a ridiculous thought :P 

God I hope so, since I'm probably using his configs and plugins too :P

EDIT: I just checked, all his art assets are ARR. I will have to see if I can get permission.

Edited by CobaltWolf

3 minutes ago, Cdw2468 said:

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FLY SOMETHING AS SACRED AS AN APOLLO ON THAT PIECE OF TRASH 

But really, I despise that rocket

With all due respect: can it. (Jk)

Seriously, though, why you hatin' on the Space Carrot? 

2 minutes ago, awsumindyman said:

With all due respect: can it. (Jk)

Seriously, though, why you hatin' on the Space Carrot? 

Without getting too much into politics and getting the thread off topic, it'a Congress forcing NASA to do something they don't want to. If we're going to make a new rocket, but use shuttle parts, why did we get rid of the shuttle?

20 minutes ago, Cdw2468 said:

Without getting too much into politics and getting the thread off topic, it'a Congress forcing NASA to do something they don't want to. If we're going to make a new rocket, but use shuttle parts, why did we get rid of the shuttle?

Because, despite the shuttle being awesome... it cant actually lift all that much to orbit. SLS can lift over double the payload to LEO, and using shuttle parts means you dont have to put nearly as much money in to R&D, because youre using parts that you know work well. And then you can slowly iterate on those parts to improve them for less cost over all that developing completely new parts.

As far as NASA not wanting to do it... I get the feeling that its either do something they dont want to do... or do nothing. 

On 9/12/2016 at 5:12 PM, Sgt.Shutesie said:

Left over shutsy quote, thanks mobile.

29 minutes ago, Cdw2468 said:

If we're going to make a new rocket, but use shuttle parts, why did we get rid of the shuttle?

So we can dump reusable engines into the ocean, duh.

23 minutes ago, Avalon304 said:

Because, despite the shuttle being awesome... it cant actually lift all that much to orbit. SLS can lift over double the payload to LEO, and using shuttle parts means you dont have to put nearly as much money in to R&D, because youre using parts that you know work well. And then you can slowly iterate on those parts to improve them for less cost over all that developing completely new parts.

As far as NASA not wanting to do it... I get the feeling that its either do something they dont want to do... or do nothing. 

I understand wanting to work with what's familiar, but I feel like there are better ways of going about it than using 60's tech and trying to get to Mars. I think the real problem is the lack of freedom for NASA's budget allocation. Take the Apollo Era for example. Of course we will probably never see that tier of public support again and therefore never that level of budget again, but the point still stands. We (Or rather Kennedy) gave them a goal: set foot on the moon by the end of the decade. And they did it. No one had to tell them how to use their money or what parts to use, if you give NASA something, they'll do it and under budget. So if we let NASA do it's job of sending stuff to space, we'll see them have more success. Don't ever let politicians do the work of a scientist

Edited by Cdw2468

4 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Very cool! What's going on with the upper part of those SRBs tho?

sTRb3vk.png

It's a part of the abort system! SRBs can't be shut off, so the only way to cut thrust in case of an anomaly is to open up the other end. There's no smaller SRB with the same thrust, so I came up with a rather Kerbal solution of just slapping on a fuel tank and an upside down F-1. I believe in the real SLS (may be wrong here), in the event of an abort, they open up the top of the SRB, but there's no such thing in KSP with that capability unfortunately...

Also, don't mind the parachutes and air-brakes; I'm in the process of making it mostly reusable (IMO, lack of reusability is one of the real SLS' main problems - why just throw away those shuttle engines? :/).