[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

32 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

@TimothyC I didn't see your post before I made mine. I would definitely like to include the baby boosters (they're adorable) and will definitely look into the stack versions of the SRMs. On those diagrams, do I see that there are two TVC tanks? The SRMU never actually received a different nozzle... I, uh, wound up not having texture space. I might be able to sneak it in to the texture sheet for the Titan IV tanks, since that doesn't have extra bits such as decouplers, which took up room on the other sheets.

The Baby Centaur might get made when I take another look at Centaur - I have about 2/3 of a texture sheet after doing the new interstages.

On the note of the SRMs, do you (or anyone) know what the actual offset of the thrust vector was on the radial boosters? Right now I believe they're about 4 degrees which seems a bit much. If I reduce them slightly they would probably be more realistic, as well as more efficient. Also, what was the decoupler mechanism like for the SRMs? I've been wondering if I need to add a new one to support the Titan parts.

Yep, two TVC tanks on the single stick Titans. As for the thrust offset on the UA-1205/7s, it was 6 degrees (0.105 radians) and was not derived from the thrust vectoring, but from the fact that the nozzle was canted at that angle. Here is an NTRS document entitles " A Study of Performance and Cost Improvement Potential of the 120-IN.- (3.05m) Diameter Solid Rocket Motor". Diagrams start on page 22 and run through 24. Section 3.1-3.5 (pages 74-110, with a specific table on 110 with the numbers) talks about the maximum gimbal being 3 degrees for inline payloads with up to 11 degrees of gimbal for winged payloads (Use of UA-1207s as Shuttle boosters), and 9 degrees of gimbal with zero offset for the straight design. This is for the single Stick SRM rocket and for the SRM core + two to five SRM booster design that show up later in the document (starting around 138).

Edited by TimothyC
Further content and such

An R-7 Soviet Launcher? The one that launched the Vostok? Yes I know about Tantares but it's not as stockalike as it could be. Here's a nice stage illustration for you that I think would be helpful. This would obviously be after the Titan rockets probably. Right?

By the way @VenomousRequiem, did you see my CKAN tutorial thing on GitHub? I didnt make it but I looked it up. Hope you find it useful. I can quote it or repost if you can't find it.

15 minutes ago, TimothyC said:

Yep, two TVC tanks on the single stick Titans. As for the thrust offset on the UA-1205/7s, it was 6 degrees (0.105 radians) and was not derived from the thrust vectoring, but from the fact that the nozzle was canted at that angle. Here is an NTRS document entitles " A Study of Performance and Cost Improvement Potential of the 120-IN.- (3.05m) Diameter Solid Rocket Motor". Diagrams start on page 22 and run through 24. Section 3.1-3.5 (pages 74-110, with a specific table on 110 with the numbers) talks about the maximum gimbal being 3 degrees for inline payloads with up to 11 degrees of gimbal for winged payloads (Use of UA-1207s as Shuttle boosters), and 9 degrees of gimbal with zero offset for the straight design. This is for the single Stick SRM rocket and for the SRM core + two to five SRM booster design that show up later in the document (starting around 138).

0.o What the heck is this...

URJZT7M.png

An R-7 Soviet Launcher? The one that launched the Vostok? Yes I know about Tantares but it's not as stockalike as it could be. Here's a nice stage illustration for you that I think would be helpful. This would obviously be after the Titan rockets probably. Right?

I will likely not being doing anything from Tantares. I personally like the style and feel that it is plenty stockalike for most purposes.

My priorities after Titan will likely be continuing Delta (after the upper stage, I'll be doing the GEMs), and (according to the poll), working on various science-related bits. Of course, this is my free time project so I could always have my eye caught by something else that I choose to work on.

I've taken yesterday and today off to relax and attend classes. I don't have classes on Thursdays this quarter, which means I will probably be attempting to get homework done on those days. However, I am planning on working on BDB stuff tomorrow night. It might become my regular time for streams.

Edited by CobaltWolf

3 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Fairing bases for Titan I, II, IV

All I can say for Titan IV is that it uses a tri-sector fairing.
As for Titan II, I'd like to see one based on the Titan 2(23)G.
Titan I will be interesting, imho.

One last thing about the fairing bases that I'd love to see: TweakScale support.
As I mentioned earlier, stock fairing bases lack TweakScale support.

8 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

0.o What the heck is this...

URJZT7M.png

It's called Untitaned Space Craft.

1 hour ago, TimothyC said:

That is what happens when you let a company try and spin their product as the solution to everyone's problems.

I see...

@fs10inator There's not way to make the stock fairings break apart in three parts, to my knowledge. I believe adding tweakscale support to fairings will cause issues. Titan II is getting a fairing base modeled off the Titan II missile, and hopefully will have an exciting dark texture. Titan 1 will basically just be the needed 1.5m fairing base. We're getting one with Delta K but it's, uh, kind of attached to something already.

Here's a quick dev release. (Go download Venom's below) No new parts but almost all the tanks had their stats adjusted. Overall, parts were incredibly out of whack. Specifically, there was a general trend of parts having copious amounts of fuel, but also being very heavy. Let me know if anything doesn't, uh, work.

Edited by CobaltWolf

9 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

There's not way to make the stock fairings break apart in three parts, to my knowledge.

Stock fairings... three parts... That reminds me...
*opens KSP to replace stock fairings on H-II rocket with procedural fairings*

43 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I see...

@fs10inator There's not way to make the stock fairings break apart in three parts, to my knowledge. I believe adding tweakscale support to fairings will cause issues. Titan II is getting a fairing base modeled off the Titan II missile, and hopefully will have an exciting dark texture. Titan 1 will basically just be the needed 1.5m fairing base. We're getting one with Delta K but it's, uh, kind of attached to something already.

Here's a quick dev release. No new parts but almost all the tanks had their stats adjusted. Overall, parts were incredibly out of whack. Specifically, there was a general trend of parts having copious amounts of fuel, but also being very heavy. Let me know if anything doesn't, uh, work.

Ahhh, Cobalt, you're killing me. Pretty much don't use that Dev release, use this one.

The only real difference is that this one includes updated RP configs, which Cobalt forgot to to include.

Sorry for the inconvenience, guys. :b

1 hour ago, drekerb42 said:

By the way @VenomousRequiem, did you see my CKAN tutorial thing on GitHub? I didnt make it but I looked it up. Hope you find it useful. I can quote it or repost if you can't find it.

Heh... can't say I caught it.

40 minutes ago, fs10inator said:

Stock fairings... three parts... That reminds me...
*opens KSP to replace stock fairings on H-II rocket with procedural fairings*

On that topic, it looks like the next update will (hopefully) have PFairings compatibility.

@VenomousRequiem I, uh... yeah... sorry... I forgot...

21 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

On that topic, it looks like the next update will (hopefully) have PFairings compatibility.

Good.
I only mentioned H-II in my last post because in my KSP recreation of said rocket, I used a 2.5m stock fairing base that turned out to be a TRI-sector fairing, not the bisector kind that the real thing used.

On a side note, here are 4 more reasons why I suggested the Titan IVB SRMU:
GrippingFrayedCockroach.gif

Edited by fs10inator

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I have received a lot of requests recently for craft files or otherwise some sort of guide for how to build the canon versions of the rockets in this pack. I, uh, don't know how I'm going to do about that.

A list of whats been modeled would be helpful. For the rockets I'm not already very familiar with what to do with the parts can be a mystery. I could probably make some more diagrams.

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

On the topic of Transtage - how do we want it made? FASA made it as a sort of monolithic part - fuel tank and engines in one part. I don't know if I would like to do that, or have the tank be unique (with the two extruded fuel tanks) with two mounting points, similar to Centaur. Or if the bottoms of the fuel tanks should be made part of the engine, and then include the fuel tank with the checkerboard pattern.

The last option. The way you did Agena seems to work well with the engine + structural stuff all one part.

Reminding that I'll be streaming tonight. I'm planning on starting at 6 PM EST but may start sooner depending on how I'm feeling and how much work I get done beforehand. Planning on working on Titan parts and some more science stuff. I might also try and finish Delta K.

EDIT: Stream has started!

Edited by CobaltWolf

As always, I'm maybe a little pushy, asking for some dev release, even with a tired Cobalt on stream for hours (and I'm not telling anyone about the drink record he set), but just because I like to test things and maybe found bugs......

... and I found something:

Prometheus-III-2 "Los" Solid Rocket Booster (bluedog_Titan_SRB2seg, the "baby strap-on" SRB) and ALL the Delta-K parts have the career tech node definition as

TechRequired = advancedRocketry

BUT it should be

TechRequired = advRocketry

to work properly and be found in the techtree (with a bad node definition, they could be found only in a "sandbox" mode).

It's a common mistake I also did when I managed to adapt/change some other parts I'm playing from ages (as it called, in the game menu, with the extended name "Advanced" but requires the shorter one in the .cfg files)

Edited by Araym

H-I rocket recreation

Parts:

Clamps by Frizzank (FASA)

Stage 0:
-6 or 9 Procedural SRBs

Stage 1:
-BDB Thor/Delta engine
-2 Procedural Liquid Tanks

Interstage:
-Interstage Fairing Base (PFairings)

Stage 2:
-BDB Muo-105
-3 Procedural Tanks
-SAS and RC-001S (both stock) added for stability and control.
-Procedural Probe
-Procedural Stack Decoupler

Fairing:
-2x Egg-shaped procedural fairings

Optional UM-129A upper stage:
-Procedural SRB.
-Procedural Stack Decoupler

Note: The final H-I launched without the UM-129A upper stage. I only put it there just to show.
P.S., my JERS-1 recreation is not the best, but w/e, that SC, for the moment, was also for show, too. :P 

Edited by fs10inator

13 hours ago, drekerb42 said:

That. Got. Weird. 

...yeaaaaah... Let's try and reign in this thread a bit haha.

@Araym thanks for the catch, I'll edit those back. That would explain why Venom couldn't find the Delta K parts in the tech tree.

@fs10inator Very cool! Hopefully it will look better once I finish the RS-27. H-1 bothers me, it looks so long and fragile.

EDIT: Also, since a lot of people wanted more probe/science stuff, here's a rough list I made when I was trying to figure out all the probe stuff I had planned

Spoiler
  • Ranger probe core
  • Folding magnetometer
  • New antennas (including low profile folding ones for fitting inside fairings)
  • New dishes
  • 3 types of cameras
  • Kanopus Star Tracker
  • Thermal louvers
  • Pioneer 4
  • Pioneer 6/7/8/9
  • Some parts based on ISEE-3, specifically the big antenna tower on top.
  • Possibly Sputnik 3
  • IR Spectrometer
  • Hydrometer
  • Gamma Ray Spectrometer

Edited by CobaltWolf

This is kind of a balance report, since you shouldn't be able to land on minimus and go to both Kerbin's moons' orbits on your second satellite launch. It involves the Brun selection of parts and sienno probe core.

I basically got to the upper orbit of kerbin, upper orbit of the Mün, upper orbit of minimus and a landing on minimus with a single rocket from only unlocking 3 more tech tree nodes for under 5,000 kerbins. Yes this is impressive for not even having to run numbers, check d-v, etc, but I don't feel like it should be possible to do this at this point in a career mode.

The screenshots include:

First, the rocket with fuel, electric charge in the upper right.

Second, the science and money gained from only the second launch of a default setting career mode.

Third, the rocket and it's cost.

Fourth and final, the unlocked tech tree nodes.

1 minute ago, Sgt.Shutesie said:

This is kind of a balance report, since you shouldn't be able to land on minimus and go to both Kerbin's moons' orbits on your second satellite launch. It involves the Brun selection of parts and sienno probe core.

I basically got to the upper orbit of kerbin, upper orbit of the Mün, upper orbit of minimus and a landing on minimus with a single rocket from only unlocking 3 more tech tree nodes for under 5,000 kerbins. Yes this is impressive for not even having to run numbers, check d-v, etc, but I don't feel like it should be possible to do this at this point in a career mode.

The screenshots include:

First, the rocket with fuel, electric charge in the upper right.

Second, the science and money gained from only the second launch of a default setting career mode.

Third, the rocket and it's cost.

Fourth and final, the unlocked tech tree nodes.

Hehe... I mentioned to Cobalt that Vanguard has like 7,500 m/s DeltaV... 

Will be investigated. :3