Jump to content

[1.12.3] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.10.4 "Луна" 19/July/2022)


CobaltWolf
 Share

Recommended Posts

Where are the Titan II velocity adjustment motors supposed to go exactly? I know they go next to the second stage engine or something, but I can't really figure it out. Also, would it be possible to look into making white variants of the Titan I ullage motors and generic Titan separation motors?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, sslaptnhablhat said:

Where are the Titan II velocity adjustment motors supposed to go exactly? I know they go next to the second stage engine or something, but I can't really figure it out. Also, would it be possible to look into making white variants of the Titan I ullage motors and generic Titan separation motors?

SM-68B second stage  tucked under the engine mount.  Apparently they didn't feature on the 23G or GLV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

 

Ha! Yes, true ... the body volume increases in lots of ways :P

 

And that volume starts increasing at about the age of 16  :(

*scrambles to find something BDB_enough to post to stay on topic..... eh......  em..... :)

6 hours ago, zakkpaz said:

did they get rid of the GMSS depot parts or did i delete them without realising it?

Do you mean the LMSS?   because I am racking my brain (not a hard thing to do today) to remember what GMSS stands for.

8 hours ago, Zorg said:

screenshot366.png?width=1480&height=833

 

 

Didn't comment on this earlier.  Love the Zinc Chromate Green color!   And thanks for more Simple Fairing options!

*THERE I found on topic content! :P *

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Do you mean the LMSS?   because I am racking my brain (not a hard thing to do today) to remember what GMSS stands for.

It's what the Leo Modular Space Station is called if you're running the real names patch :)

Not sure which the depot parts are you are referring to @zakkpaz .  There are habitation modules, crew labs, airlocks and a bunch of docking ports as well as the Advanced Gemini logistics containers.  All of it is still there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Friznit

I can't remember the exact ingame name,  the missing parts error calls them "bluedog.Gemini.1p5mDepot" and "bluedog.Gemini.TwoRoomStationDepot" they used the same models as the station modules except filled with electricity and consumables.

 

 i thought they were added as life support mod compatibility 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, zakkpaz said:

@Friznit

I can't remember the exact in game name,  the missing parts error calls them "bluedog.Gemini.1p5mDepot" and "bluedog.Gemini.TwoRoomStationDepot" they used the same models as the station modules except filled with electricity and consumables.

 

 i thought they were added as life support mod compatibility 

Looks like the USI life support patch created new parts using existing models in the game (these are user submissions not written by the mod authors). The location of the Gemini and MOL space station parts recently changed and the patches weren't updated. I'll fix the file paths.

If you load a save from when things were working with the updated dev build once its up, you shouldnt lose any craft.

Edit: should be fixed now.

Edited by Zorg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Couple of small updates,

The Atlas V 400 (EPF) fairing is now available of the generic 2.5m base alongside the CT3 one.

screenshot201.png?width=1478&height=831

And the SLV3B fairing base is now available as a variant for the Centaur interstage

screenshot200.png?width=1478&height=831

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, derega16 said:

Which mod that launch base came from?

Modular Launch Pads. One of the best companion mods for BDB. The tower should be in the release, the base is from the development branch.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Zorg said:

delta III stuff

May I ask how the first stage is constructed? I don't see a Thor lower tank in there, because there's no ridged/ribbed section, are you using the 400 and 800 fuel tanks? Sorry if the question is a bit funky and not worded very well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, space_powder said:

May I ask how the first stage is constructed? I don't see a Thor lower tank in there, because there's no ridged/ribbed section, are you using the 400 and 800 fuel tanks? Sorry if the question is a bit funky and not worded very well

I dont remember exactly, I think it was the upper tank in the EELT (longest stretch) configuration with an additional short extension tank. There are some length issues with the extra stretched thor tanks so dont take what I did there as canonical,  I just eyeballed it and grabbed what first looked right for a quick screenshot, I didnt compare with an orthographic diagram or anything. Friznit will update the wiki with the new Delta III official build once Cobalt has fixed the tank lengths.

Edited by Zorg
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sooo, Lunar Orbiter, or more to the point, its A66 antenna. Currently there is no point to add both antennas (since A66 isn't combinable, there is no real point to add A23 except for replica building). What about making A66 a relay with 5M rating, just like HG-5 which sits in the same tech tree node (not to mention that it looks strikingly similar)? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, derega16 said:

Which mod that launch base came from?

 

6 hours ago, Zorg said:

Modular Launch Pads. One of the best companion mods for BDB. The tower should be in the release, the base is from the development branch.

 

The Delta II tower in Zorg's screenshot is the revised version also in the v2.1 dev build. There is a Delta II tower in the current release, but it doesn't have as much detail as the revised version, which was also fixed to remove the small gaps between the side panels.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Zorg said:

And the SLV3B fairing base is now available as a variant for the Centaur interstage

Can I interest you in a SLV-3B fairing without "ribbed" lower section for 1.875m generic (and other 1.875m) bases? This would be quite useful for many builds.

And yes, it would be a nice substitute for Atlas-Centaur fairing.

Example: this SurveyoRanger.

e0U9TIj.png

It sticks out of "normal" Agena-size fairings, so SLV-3B. But it obviously does not need this lower section.

Edited by biohazard15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/22/2020 at 2:58 PM, Pappystein said:

 They were in Which is why I do the 3x 3x 3x arrangement.   Because while holding the SHIFT key, you can properly arrange them.  

The only problem in that is the 4x and 7x booster arrangements (but as I said previously, I don't know if it was ever flown)   And incidentally Editor Extensions does not play any nicer than Stock with any of these three configs.

PS the 43degree offset is for the TVC Air lit motors (at 34 degrees the bells would collide.)   I am uncertain, if the original config had this space (for the Inital Castor IV launces with 9 SRMs did not have the Thrust Vectoring Air lit version...)   I know all previous (N-6, M-6) launches had 2 groups of three with no separation between the groups (the 34degree offsets in your pictures Dragon01)

PPS:  This arrangement DOES NOT work for larger SRMs, just the GEM40 and Castor II/IV in a 6x,  6+3 or 9x Arrangement.  

 

You forgot about the Delta 3900 series which had 5 ground lit Castor IVs and 4 air lit Castors. That's the only booster arrangement that's a pain as it requires 4 pairs mounted in mirror symmetry with a single solo. The 4x arrangement flew, but I can't find anything on the 7x arrangement. The Delta 3900 is the only one that used the 5+4 arrangement, the 2900 was 6+3, and the 4900 and 5900 went back to the 6+3 for the Castor IVAs.

http://www.spacelaunchreport.com/thorh10.html

Quote

Delta 118, a Delta 3914, was the first 3000, hauling Satcom 1 to GTO on December 12, 1975.  The heavier strap on motors required use, for the first time, of a staggered jettison sequence.  Only five of the nine motors were ignited on the ground.  After the five motors burned out, they were jettisoned in a staggered 3-2 sequence.  Then the four air-lit motors were started.  2000-series Deltas used a staggered 6-3 start sequence, but jettisoned all nine strap-on motors at once.  

Delta 134, a Delta 3914, failed on September 13, 1977 when one of its Castor 4 motors suffered a casing burn through 54 seconds after liftoff.  This was the last Delta failure until 1986.  During that span, Delta logged 43 consecutive launch successes, setting a new standard for U.S. launch vehicle success.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

Mariner B: electrostatic analyzer arm clips into probe core if "angled" is selected, and sticks out of Burke SAF fairing if "straight" is selected.

Please advise.

Put it somewhere else so it doesn't collide/stick out. Use an Atlas SLV-3B, Vega or Centaur. I think it was planned to use Centaur.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Can I interest you in a SLV-3B fairing without "ribbed" lower section for 1.875m generic (and other 1.875m) bases? This would be quite useful for many builds.

And yes, it would be a nice substitute for Atlas-Centaur fairing.

Example: this SurveyoRanger.

 

It sticks out of "normal" Agena-size fairings, so SLV-3B. But it obviously does not need this lower section.

A dedicated Atlas Centaur fairing using the same assets as the upper part of this but with the correct (white and shorter) lower section is planned. Making a version of this with no lower section is tricky, I can't remove the fixtures near the bottom of the white section as they have baked AO (shadows) on the texture.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/22/2020 at 5:32 PM, sslaptnhablhat said:

Where are the Titan II velocity adjustment motors supposed to go exactly? I know they go next to the second stage engine or something, but I can't really figure it out. Also, would it be possible to look into making white variants of the Titan I ullage motors and generic Titan separation motors?

So a lot of the Titan II hardware is left over from the ICBM military roll.   But there are already "Generic" Titan Separation motors (the Star-8 Triangular SRMs)    The various SRMs were used to turn the 2nd Stage Broadside to the flight path after warhead separation.   As the 2nd Stage started re-entry it would break up into a large cloud of metal debris.... and things like the LR91 Engine, would have a similar or larger RCS than the actual Titan II B-53 warhead.   So basically the 2nd stage became a giant Chaff cloud during re-entry.  Anti-Ballistic Missile weaponry DID exist in the 1960s contrary to all the buzz words and complaints you might hear about it today.  In fact the Worlds fastest Accelerating missile, appropriately named the Sprint, is part of the old US, tested and proven functional Safeguard (and it's predecessor) systems.  Along with LIM-49 Nike Zeus / Nike Spartan.

 

Re Titan I 2nd Stage Sep motors.   Personally I have only ever seen them painted Dayglow Orange for tests, or Dark red (like in game.)   That is NOT counting the ones at various "Titan I museums" where I swear they don't know how to accurately replicate the color on the missiles at all!   Any alternate color, real or imagined would be up-to Cobaltwolf and company.  Having just spent the last 30 minutes looking at Titan I pictures online, Every picture of the rocket motor is either Red, Dayglow Orange (aka BRIGHTER than fluorescent Orange aka the brightest man made pigment) or and I want to stress that the third color I found was ALWAYS in over exposed film.   Black (Which I believe is actually the Dark red we already have!)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

So a lot of the Titan II hardware is left over from the ICBM military roll.   But there are already "Generic" Titan Separation motors (the Star-8 Triangular SRMs)    The various SRMs were used to turn the 2nd Stage Broadside to the flight path after warhead separation.   As the 2nd Stage started re-entry it would break up into a large cloud of metal debris.... and things like the LR91 Engine, would have a similar or larger RCS than the actual Titan II B-53 warhead.   So basically the 2nd stage became a giant Chaff cloud during re-entry.  Anti-Ballistic Missile weaponry DID exist in the 1960s contrary to all the buzz words and complaints you might hear about it today.  In fact the Worlds fastest Accelerating missile, appropriately named the Sprint, is part of the old US, tested and proven functional Safeguard (and it's predecessor) systems.  Along with LIM-49 Nike Zeus / Nike Spartan.

 

Re Titan I 2nd Stage Sep motors.   Personally I have only ever seen them painted Dayglow Orange for tests, or Dark red (like in game.)   That is NOT counting the ones at various "Titan I museums" where I swear they don't know how to accurately replicate the color on the missiles at all!   Any alternate color, real or imagined would be up-to Cobaltwolf and company.  Having just spent the last 30 minutes looking at Titan I pictures online, Every picture of the rocket motor is either Red, Dayglow Orange (aka BRIGHTER than fluorescent Orange aka the brightest man made pigment) or and I want to stress that the third color I found was ALWAYS in over exposed film.   Black (Which I believe is actually the Dark red we already have!)

 

 

Thanks for the insight, definitely interesting stuff.

By white variant I meant the metallic grey aerodynamic "endcap" and not the dark red body of the separation motor, when using any coloured second stage other than grey it looks a little bit odd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went ahead and picked up where I left off, building some 50's missile and sounding rockets. Some are still really hard to get right with limited access to tech tree, but here's a few I feel look the part, thanks some tweakscaling and kitbashing.

MGM-29 Sergeant

Building off this: MGM-29_Sergeant_03.jpg

The closest analogue to a truck that I got, is the SXT truck:

fQVrjKW.jpg

The missile itself really flies, though

Rzf1GPc.jpg

it REALLY flies!

V8TAFoO.png

 

Nike-Cajun

Following up my earlier Nike-Ajax build, this one has had a few visual upgrades and of course, has a different upper stage.

hc7gijC.png

This, too, flies ok-ish

Kaj34S5.jpg

 

I switched to using the latest TUFX and @Zorg's config instead of KS3P, which really does make a difference, highly recommended for visual junkies!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...