[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

10 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Is this RSS or JNSQ?

If it IS RSS than how did you get it working there?

It's KSRSS, which is Kerbin-sized RSS. Comes with its own 2.5x rescale config to use with Sigma Dimensions. You'll also need KSC Switcher to move KSC from Cape Canaveral to other sites.

It offers extra challenges when compared to JNSQ or rescaled stock. Namely the real sites with real inclination, which means GEO launches need a plane change.

Note that currently it works only on 1.8.1.

10 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

*cough* the moon *cough* ... can't wait for axial tilt so we can have a "R" RSS

Well, yeah, that. Personally I'm okay though - add too much "R" and many mods become barely usable due to lack of proper configs or whatever else.

6 hours ago, Zorg said:

The Peacekeeper family got a little left out from all the fairing fun. With these 3 I think every rocket except for Saturn now has at least some dedicated fairings. Saturn of course will come with the revamp.

Left to right Athena II, Minotaur IV, Peacekeeper

JUST what I have been patiently waiting for!

6 hours ago, Zorg said:

The warheads have been denuclearised to convert them into a simple fairing! Honest!

err LGM-118 was a MIRV 10x+ missile.   So it was a simple fairing to begin with.   :P 

However it has been noted that no W-xx warhead is included with this mod!

I will say while I completely support a Non weaponized BDB, a non warhead shape re-entry body that can survive impact and even Eve's atmosphere would be nice.   Make it recoverable only like the Agena big boy science part.   maybe a single piece part with small movable air-brakes (that only deploy and do not retract)   Kind of like a simple conic nose to cylinder fuselage of 0.125m diameter with 4x  F-16XL Cranked Arrow wing in 4 directions (vertical up, Vertical down Left and right (thinking this could be mounted on one of the small Seargents so 0.125m?     It would have Command and a Radio but the Science experiment would either require craft being recovered or an Kerbalnaught pulling the "science package" out of the part.   Then the Titan, and MX can have a unique science experimenter they can loft.  And it is NOT a Nuclear warhead.  Given the "Large" wing area for such a small part the only control needed would be provided externally.   And maybe the SAF Fairing code can be used with some hopefully simple changes to make auto-deploying Air-brakes (and maybe the same for the baby parachutes on the return capsules???

This is kind of the wing shape I was thinking:

F16XL_02.jpg

Edited by Pappystein

4 minutes ago, computercat04 said:

I can use Peacekeeper with North Kerbin Dynamics.

*FACEPALM*

Um... err... um...   The whole point of BDB removing the warheads was so you didn't do that.....  hence all the comments over the past year+ since Titan started it's re-dev.   However, you do you.

21 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

*FACEPALM*

Um... err... um...   The whole point of BDB removing the warheads was so you didn't do that.....  hence all the comments over the past year+ since Titan started it's re-dev.   However, you do you.

Well , reality can be whatever I want in KSP lol

Edited by computercat04
A typo

14 minutes ago, computercat04 said:

Well , reality can be whatever i want in KSP lol

I believe there is a reason there are not MIRV holders in this mod. I think it is somewhat quietly frowned upon to talk about using the ICBM-derived parts for their military purpose. However, you can do whatever you want in your game, and feel free to use the ICBMs as you see fit. 

15 minutes ago, DJ Reonic said:

I believe there is a reason there are not MIRV holders in this mod. I think it is somewhat quietly frowned upon to talk about using the ICBM-derived parts for their military purpose. However, you can do whatever you want in your game, and feel free to use the ICBMs as you see fit. 

43 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

*FACEPALM*

Im not sure what Cobalts stance on it is, but just to be clear from my perspective while I do have my own thoughts and opinions about nuclear weapons, the reason Im not working on warhead based stuff isnt so much to do with a moral stance about what people should do with BDB stuff in game so much as a lack of interest. There is an opportunity cost to everything thats added to the game in terms of time, energy, effort and texture space that could be used for something else. Warhead based probes offer little functionality in game and are at the end of the day quite boring and there are other more interesting things we could be working on instead. The Titan II one I do like because the Titan II missile had a very aesthetically pleasing profile and the Peacekeeper one also looks nice, works well as a payload fairing and offers something that works well with the black paint that offered with the Peacekeeper and derivative parts.

Edited by Zorg

Speaking of ICBM parts - what about Minuteman-style nosecone? Could be a nice addition to 0.9375m fairing bases, and it could use existing DPA nodes.

(For those of you who don't know, Minuteman uses a single-piece nosecone. It's jettisoned with help of small SRMs, much like Apollo LES tower)

Edited by biohazard15

3 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Speaking of ICBM parts - what about Minuteman-style nosecone? Could be a nice addition to 0.9375m fairing bases, and it could use existing DPA nodes.

(For those of you who don't know, Minuteman uses a single-piece nosecone. It's jettisoned with help of small SRMs, much like Apollo LES tower)

Not really interested in this sorry, we have plenty of fairings in that size class for LVs that actually exist in the mod and there are are other things I need to turn my attention to.

7 hours ago, Zorg said:

Not really interested in this sorry, we have plenty of fairings in that size class for LVs that actually exist in the mod and there are are other things I need to turn my attention to.

I totally get that.   The only Minuteman part I think that is needed in BDB is the Minuteman I First stage.... cause Saturn II INT-19 :D

And heck even though it looks decidedly wrong Algol is a reasonable replacement for Minuteman I's first stage....

I just downloaded and installed the craft file for the Gemini Advanced Big G 1969 and I was wondering... how does this thing deorbit? By the RCS? I looked through some of the info available online for Big G and it is rather vague, but I got the impression from it that there were solid retros in an adapter section attached to the heatshield. But that is not present on this craft. I thought about adding six of the solid retros to the very bottom of the craft in a circular arrangement outboard of the docking mechanism. Once the burn was completed the whole shebang aft of the heatshield would be jettisoned. 

I am not sure the RCS would have enough delta-v to deorbit the spacecraft, especially from anything higher than maybe a 100 km orbit.

Yes, no?

-Hey guys, iv been doing this EPIC history of spaceflight playthrough and this afternoon i found that i cannot switch to a different color varients with BDB.-

-Iv tried reloading but it does nothing trying new save does not help either, ALL SKIN PACK BDB IN COLORS ETC STILL FUNCTION!-

-Pls help;.;-

-Edit: Im trying to fix it via reinstall now.-

Fixed!

Edited by Minmus Taster

7 hours ago, Minmus Taster said:

Hey guys, iv been doing this EPIC history of spaceflight playthrough and this afternoon i found that i cannot switch to a different color varients with BDB.

Iv tried reloading but it does nothing trying new save does not help either, ALL SKIN PACK BDB IN COLORS ETC STILL FUNCTION!

Pls help;.;

Edit: Im trying to fix it via reinstall now.

Do you have the latest version of b9 part switch installed?

4 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

Do you have the latest version of b9 part switch installed?

BDBNIC uses stock module variant.  It works in latest KSP but note it causes an issue with the Apollo (Kane) parachutes drag cubes so you should edit them out of the patch.

30 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Yes

We would need more details

1) which version of BDB? (current release? github master?)

2) Which parts are affected? All or some? Please give some examples of problem parts.

3) your modulemanager.configcache (found in gamedata)

4) Your modlist - a screenshot of your gamedata will be fine

5) Your KSP.log - open the game, try to do a colour switch, quit and then find your log.

Please see this to see where to find your log: 

Edited by Zorg

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

We would need more details

1) which version of BDB? (current release? github master?)

2) Which parts are affected? All or some? Please give some examples of problem parts.

3) your modulemanager.configcache (found in gamedata)

4) Your modlist - a screenshot of your gamedata will be fine

5) Your KSP.log - open the game, try to do a colour switch, quit and then find your log.

Please see this to see where to find your log: 

Never mind it's fixed, i got it!

MIDAS-2, Atlas-Agena A

L3AwSIa.png

MIDAS (Missile Defense Alarm System) was the first U.S. early warning satellite. First launch attempt (on the first ever Atlas-Agena flight) ended in failure when Agena failed to separate from Atlas.

1JnrnuN.png

MIDAS 2 was a success, launching the Agena to a roughly circular 500km orbit with 33deg inclination.

qy7AwUu.png

gfi3X9Z.png

MIDAS used a distinct conical fairing, which looked much like GATV one. Since BDB GATV fairing is a buggy mess (last time I checked), I substituted an Ablestar one.

3uRLKEh.png

This particular Atlas is configured to drop its booster skirt at 4G.

PiWm5OI.png

1Kcxckw.png

TQDxaoV.png

Perhaps the most striking feature of MIDAS satellites was the infrared scanner, an angled "snout" which resembled a vacuum cleaner. Or ash creature from Morrowind, if you like.

OSis2rK.png

orPLKcM.png

The "snout" is made from BDB Corona adapter, Tantares size 0 decoupler, KNES Capella adapter and a sprinkle of offset magic. The scanner is fully functional, BTW - you can see Mariner 2 radiometer tucked inside.

q7ItQn7.png

MIDAS 2 also carried several scientific instruments - barometer, cosmic radiation detector, micrometeorite detector, radiometer and plasma probe. Several of these are present on replica.

I have always been intrigued with the Big Gemini concept, so I decided to play around with it. In the post above, my first impression upon loading the craft file was that there was no way to deorbit. Online references referred to a retro section attached to the heatshield, but the real Advanced Big G concept model from 1969 didn't have have that as far as I could determine so the BDB model didn't have it either. It also struck me that orbital maneuvering would be very limited without propulsion more substantial than the RCS, so I decided to play around with it to see what could be done. This is what I came up with:

y4mhWb5gL7-bZJVNYTHIRp38V_yyKdX42qUBersG

Transtage seemed like the perfect solution. I used the Titan IIIE 2.6m adaptor to get the right diameter. This provided all the needed orbital maneuvering power. Obvious problem... you have to drop your orbital maneuvering engine before you dock!

For the deorbiting issue, I used the Rockomax Brand Adaptor 02 and attached 11 of the ET385 solids to it. Along with the standard decoupler, this provided a jettisonable deorbit capability.

y4magTmpW9n2JC9LZNkusM4nk0DP5_NtVynJeGsT

I attached it to the service module using a TD-12 decoupler and a SIV-25 fairing base, enclosing the retro package with a fairing. 

y4mHe3t3v6Dl4QF3xyAMwgngu_-XBvDZAJEpBf89

Along with the docking assembly on the base of the service module, I added the Apollo high gain comms antenna and the DGA docking radar antenna. To get separation from the Transtage and adaptor, I added a TS-06 stack separator.

y4m3IBUrs0MQusw8sX_3rALPs38fd9ybCtkGSwN1

It fits nicely into the Transtage adaptor, but I used the move tool to adjust the spacing. Once again a fairing enclosed the docking assembly and the antennas.

y4m5Q6zPYS04x84vW4Ri2uQTOSgotWRqD-TvGy4_

Final product on the pad, boosted by a Titan IIIC, although with UA1204s because I wanted to keep the acceleration down. Even with these "smaller" solids and air-lighting the LR87s, it still has a 3.22 surface TWR. It leaps off the pad! Launch pad is from AlphaMensae's Modular Launch Pads. 

y4mFMj-x4CWqNMEwIGtniIoDoOtQ0YlDqhgv9QoY

It is fully flight tested to a 130 km orbit with four astronauts. The retro package brought her down very smoothly, but barely. The reentry was only about 1.5 Gs, and was quite shallow. If my orbit had been much higher when I started the burn I may not have hit the ground. So this model, which I will call Mark 1, is only useful for LEO up to about 130 km on a stock Kerbin. My plans are to modify it with more powerful solid retros, but this will get farther and farther away from the "stock" Big G.

This has given me an appreciation for the design problems with a rear mounted docking system. I learned that by giving up that prime position for a orbital maneuvering engine you are sacrificing a lot of capability. The Russian TKS must have had the same limitation.

BTW, if you bring it down on land, it hits a bit hard, but survivable, with the standard Gemini main parachute. On a water landing, it floats very high in the water.

Edited by DaveyJ576
Small addition about the Transtage