[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

screenshot308.png

EDIT: Would it be possible to make the flared faring bases for the Atlas 4m faring and the Titan IV 5m faring separable along with the rest of the SAF to better represent the way they worked IRL?

Edited by KeaKaka

11 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

EDIT: Would it be possible to make the flared faring bases for the Atlas 4m faring and the Titan IV 5m faring separable along with the rest of the SAF to better represent the way they worked IRL?

Possible yes. But would involve a fair amount of work as those bases were made and textured without splitting in half (or thirds) for SAF in mind so would require a fair amount of rework to get it to work like that. Not considering right now.

Some more Skylab WIP. With the ATM complete, not moving on to the rest. This is a preview of the deployment truss.

For anyone who missed the earlier discussion, the truss will support both Breaking Ground and Infernal Robotics and for those who would rather not use either the telescope will have a probe core so you can dock just like the current one.

unknown.png?width=1043&height=686

unknown.png

unknown.png?width=973&height=686

unknown.png

unknown.png

Edited by Zorg

4 hours ago, Zorg said:

Some more Skylab WIP. With the ATM complete, not moving on to the rest. This is a preview of the deployment truss.

For anyone who missed the earlier discussion, the truss will support both Breaking Ground and Infernal Robotics and for those who would rather not use either the telescope will have a probe core so you can dock just like the current one.

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

ooh a rotating telescope mount finally :D

Edited by adsuri

9 hours ago, Zorg said:

unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

NICE...   I see you have begun to mockup the 4.25 main hull as well.   (Hurry Up Cobalt! :D  KIDDING!)  

The Docking adapter... any thoughts to leaving it a Tri- docking adapter like the current one (with a docking port under the ATM for those of us who many not launch a Skylab with ATM?

I don't know about other players but I tend to launch Skylab for AB-Historical stations.   I am currently building an ISS+ Skylab in my current playthrough for example.   It has taken me some serious re-orginization of the ISS.   I have Zvezda, Harmony and Skylab all up in space currently (I think it is Harmony IDR which node I launched!)

Skylab and Zvezda are providing the power....   the Zara module is my next launch (on a Moonraker SOCKs shuttle... launched on a Stretched Energia! :D

Alternatively I am going to launch it on a Saturn II INT-18 using SMRU-3s :D

The Russian DOS style modules are hard to get into position with the shuttle :(

7 hours ago, Pappystein said:

The Docking adapter... any thoughts to leaving it a Tri- docking adapter like the current one (with a docking port under the ATM for those of us who many not launch a Skylab with ATM?

The plan is to do a B9 variant to add the 3rd docking port.

1 hour ago, derega16 said:

Where the deployment truss will attach? Is it a part of MDA or attached to MDA or elsewhere? Also will we get double and quadruple sized solar panels?

Its a separate part that will attach to the airlock module. The MDA comes after the AM.

Main solar panel will be in standard and double (ETS Spacelab) size.

16 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

@CobaltWolf

With your Apollo rework, are we going to get instruments for the service module like the J-class missions flew?

We're in discussions with a subcontractor. Plan right now is to just have the SIM bay door fixed for the alpha and then sort it out later.

EDIT: I guess I shouldn't leave this post empty. Here, have uh... the start of the parachute bay.

qnpxvNB.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

41 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

I mean Centaur was derived from S-V plans… this would basically be an even more potent version. 

eh, not quite,  In the original naming standards Centaur C was Saturn Centaur,  Centaur A and B were to be single launch test centaurs on Atlas... making Centaur still designed for Atlas first.   

After the explosive failures of the A & B the funds for Centaur C were diverted to make what became the functional flights leading to Centaur D and latter D.1, D.2, D.3 etc :D  Of course in the old naming nomenclature (Pre ULA taking over from NASA) the current centaurs would be called Centaur D.III and Centaur D.IV and D.V

NASA standards the C (and latter after the initial failures the E family) of CEntaurs are Saturn Centaurs:

the D family is for Atlas and Titan....  

Then Challenger happened.    And nothing stayed the same

Point to remember... Consolidated Vultee (Convair) division of General Dynamics designed Atlas.... and Centaur... they meant for it to be launched on Atlas first.  

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

We're in discussions with a subcontractor. Plan right now is to just have the SIM bay door fixed for the alpha and then sort it out later.

EDIT: I guess I shouldn't leave this post empty. Here, have uh... the start of the parachute bay.

qnpxvNB.png

Probe locks!  NICE!   The Probe docking port looks really good.    Has there been a solution derived for the latter (and larger) NASA spec APAS?   Or is that going to be an all new upper hull component?

Edited by Pappystein

11 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Probe locks!  NICE!   The Probe docking port looks really good.    Has there been a solution derived for the latter (and larger) NASA spec APAS?   Or is that going to be an all new upper hull component?

So far I've been working on the ETS strategy of "why would you change the docking port? That changes the outer mold line!"

44 minutes ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

Will we finally get Apollo Drogues in the update? ;.;

I haven't even figured out what chutes are on the Apollo yet :P Probably.

34 minutes ago, SpaceFace545 said:

@CobaltWolf Will the Apollo docking probe work like Benjee10's APAS port where there is a functioning soft capture or is this just for aesthetics?

It already does? (and if it doesn't, well, y'all have 5 years to complain I'm not fixing it now)

Edited by CobaltWolf

5 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Still WIP but thought I'd share since the configuration is pretty final now. 

It's looking fantastic! Excellent job. 

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

Still WIP but thought I'd share since the configuration is pretty final now. 

screen_2560x1440_2021-05-25_12-09-21.png

screen_2560x1440_2021-05-25_12-11-35.png

screen_2560x1440_2021-05-25_12-14-01.png

So you look at the skeletal legs of the ATM mount... and you think.  This was mounted ontop of a rocket that could pull 4 or 5x the force of Gravity to get to space....    And you realize that the ATM itself is pretty massive....   And you wonder....   HOW THE HECK DIDN'T THIS break!   The solar panel broke!  This thing is at least 10x more likely to break!

@Zorg  You have knocked it out of the park.   it may not be done but you already have your trip around the bases to score!   *GAH I hate baseball why am I using baseball superlatives?!*