[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

I think that the left one is to light and the dark one is to dark actually.

but you should make them a little bit thicker, bacause the part is not going to be that large

The ones that are on the engine exhaust are a bit to dark, maybe you should make them lighter and the one on the top a bit darker, they would look the same for your eyes because of the surroundings

Edited by 129828

Hey, maybe you could add that colour scheme to all your parts. A tank with blue redstone stripes might look nice.

I think I'll keep the Redstone parts in the stock color scheme.

I think that the left one is to light and the dark one is to dark actually.

but you should make them a little bit thicker, bacause the part is not going to be that large

The ones that are on the engine exhaust are a bit to dark, maybe you should make them lighter and the one on the top a bit darker, they would look the same for your eyes because of the surroundings

The colors are actually currently somewhere between the two. They actually feel decently large in game but maybe that's just me.

These are some nice parts! I like them!

- - - Updated - - -

I also want that engine :P

You'll probably get it soon. Once I get the Centaur parts done I was going to release them on this thread as a zip so people that want to play with them / test them can do that while I work on Atlas. I don't want to release the 1.875m parts until they're matured and fleshed out.

Apparently, I can't do science for stock experiments when I DL this.

Sunnuva.... I'll look into it. The 0.05 release was somewhat... uh, rushed. Anyone have any ideas?

EDIT: Can Davidy or anyone else give me more information on what's going wrong? Do you just not receive science from them? Are they unclickable in the flight scene?

EDIT2: Stock science parts work on my end. I'm not sure what's going on.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Same problem here...I can't do "Crew Report" from capsules anymore.

I thought it might be the DMagic plugin but the problem is still there when I uninstalled it...seems to be linked to the BD Mod.

Do they work if the mod's resources folder is removed?

This is odd. It works on my end. Try replacing your BDB / DMagicScienceAnimate folders with these. They're ripped straight from my dev copy of KSP and seem to be working. If they do then I'll package another release ASAP. (Also don't try and use any of the new parts in there they're not even halfway implemented haha)

Ok well, I am still not entirely sure what the issue is with the science parts. BUT I did get some more work done with Centaur...

nY9IxHd.png

3GriEsk.png

pMoLaBQ.png

FA0pY6G.png

Textures are not quite finalized. I am going to make a custom fairing texture (eventually) (both one for stock and PFairings)

I need help balancing these parts. If you want to try them out,

I uploaded the folder for you! Toss it in Bluedog_DB/Parts. There are currently no 1.875m decoupler (that's being worked on with the Atlas parts) or a 2.5m > 1.875m adapter fairing for the engine mount. So you'll need Tweakscale or something with other 1.875m parts if you want to actually build stuff that works. It's basically just the parts you see in the screenshots.

Known bugs:

It's almost impossible to attach a center Centaur. Someone please tell me why that is.

The texture might be missing when you load it into the game. Let me know if that happens. It's in the folder but... uh... strange things have happened on my end while testing.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Ok well, I am still not entirely sure what the issue is with the science parts. BUT I did get some more work done with Centaur...

Textures are not quite finalized. I am going to make a custom fairing texture (eventually) (both one for stock and PFairings)

I need help balancing these parts. If you want to try them out,

I uploaded the folder for you! Toss it in Bluedog_DB/Parts. There are currently no 1.875m decoupler (that's being worked on with the Atlas parts) or a 2.5m > 1.875m adapter fairing for the engine mount. So you'll need Tweakscale or something with other 1.875m parts if you want to actually build stuff that works. It's basically just the parts you see in the screenshots.

Known bugs:

It's almost impossible to attach a center Centaur. Someone please tell me why that is.

The texture might be missing when you load it into the game. Let me know if that happens. It's in the folder but... uh... strange things have happened on my end while testing.

Can't access the google drive to download...but the parts look brilliant. :cool:

Can't access the google drive to download...but the parts look brilliant. :cool:

Uhhh try now? Or I can upload to mediafire or something.

EDIT: So, a note on update schedule. My goal is to have Atlas + Centaur released by November 10th, after which the mod probably going to go on hiatus for, uh, reasons. Until some time in December.

EDIT2: Can anyone confirm if the science is fixed when the mod's folders are replaced with these folders?

Edited by CobaltWolf

Still doesn't work.

- - - Updated - - -

(Sci defs)

This is using the gamedata folder I uploaded on the last page, correct? Is it just stock and Bluedog + DMagicScienceAnimate? If not, what other mods are you running? I'll hit up some other modders and see if they know what the issue could be. I am at a loss.

Hey, just installed for the first time, and have some feedback:

• RL-10 is impossible to attach to the center attachment node of the RL-10 base. Other attachment points work fine.

• FX for the Redstone engine is a little wonky. You may want to make the FX a bit smaller, and maybe switch from purple/blue to orange.

• With the texturing, it's close to stock-alike, but I'm not really digging the outlines on every edge. It makes it looks like a folded paper model, and really breaks up the continuity of the design. It ends up making it look too busy. A good example is the radial engines, and the tops of all the tanks. If you divide the individual trapezoids that make up the ring that forms the edge, it looks a bit wrong, much like a folded paper model. I think more continuity in the texturing would be good.

• Redstone balance seems good. I can just make orbit with it. Nicely done. :)

• The RD-180 pair is really neat, but the transition between the full 2.5m diameter on top, and the slightly reduced diameter in the middle is a bit awkward.

• The pipe on the Atlas lower tank section is a bit strange. It just... Stops.

• The micrometeoroid detector is REALLY NEAT. I like the little animation. Very clever. Is it KIS compatible? I just haven't tried it yet.

• The rest of the science parts are really unique and well done. Way cool. :)

Keep up the good work. Following closely. :)

Hey, just installed for the first time, and have some feedback:

• RL-10 is impossible to attach to the center attachment node of the RL-10 base. Other attachment points work fine.

I cannot figure out why that is. Unless someone has any ideas?

• FX for the Redstone engine is a little wonky. You may want to make the FX a bit smaller, and maybe switch from purple/blue to orange.

It's unedited from the config I based it on... I think the FASA Redstone. I am going to take another look at Redstone soon, probably going to include a fuel tank for it. I have learned a lot about texturing since I made it.

• With the texturing, it's close to stock-alike, but I'm not really digging the outlines on every edge. It makes it looks like a folded paper model, and really breaks up the continuity of the design. It ends up making it look too busy. A good example is the radial engines, and the tops of all the tanks. If you divide the individual trapezoids that make up the ring that forms the edge, it looks a bit wrong, much like a folded paper model. I think more continuity in the texturing would be good.

I will look into it. The radial engine needs a look at the textures as a whole. Question: I did that to the top of the fuel tanks after seeing similar texturing done by Beale. What makes his designs more appropriate? If I understand it seems like there's a time to use that sort of segmented paneling and a time not to.

EDIT: I mocked up a new design for the radial engine. I have to start the actual texture over from scratch (I make them using different techniques now) but here's a rough idea of what it might look like. Pending mesh updates.

4itTwYY.png

• Redstone balance seems good. I can just make orbit with it. Nicely done. :)

Credit for that more or less goes to Frizzank, even though I think I changed the weight, thrust, and ISP. So either credit Frizzank or call it an accident. :)

• The RD-180 pair is really neat, but the transition between the full 2.5m diameter on top, and the slightly reduced diameter in the middle is a bit awkward.

The Atlas V parts are also going to be refined / expanded. I was very nervous about using polys in the earlier parts, and I knew little about texturing. The PGM and Muo parts only look as decent as they do because I sampled the stock textures for colors. The actual texturing is lacking. Also, the top half of the RD-180 is probably going to be redone because I'm not particularly happy with it either.

(Also, because it confused me at first when I read it and thought you were referring to the RL-10, isn't it not a pair but rather a single engine with two thrust chambers / nozzles?)

• The pipe on the Atlas lower tank section is a bit strange. It just... Stops.

In my defense, it somewhat does that on the real one. :) I'll look at it when I get around to remaking / finishing Atlas V.

• The micrometeoroid detector is REALLY NEAT. I like the little animation. Very clever. Is it KIS compatible? I just haven't tried it yet.

Thank you! Thank DMagic if you see him - he updated his animation plugin for me. I have not added KIS compatibility to anything but I believe I specifically prevented an EVA Kerbal from activating the experiment - I don't want them to get hit. Not only because that would be bad, but it would also look silly since the debris doesn't have any physics attached to it. As a solution it feels somewhat hacked in but I figured it was way cooler than a static experiment.

• The rest of the science parts are really unique and well done. Way cool. :)

Keep up the good work. Following closely. :)

Thank you! I would like to go back and find things to animate in all the science parts. Perhaps little glowing particles for the ion trap, etc. I have a lot of plans for more science parts but they're somewhat far back on my list of obligations. And thanks for the feedback - this is exactly the kind of constructive stuff I like to see.

Edited by CobaltWolf

I will look into it. The radial engine needs a look at the textures as a whole. Question: I did that to the top of the fuel tanks after seeing similar texturing done by Beale. What makes his designs more appropriate? If I understand it seems like there's a time to use that sort of segmented paneling and a time not to.

EDIT: I mocked up a new design for the radial engine. I have to start the actual texture over from scratch (I make them using different techniques now) but here's a rough idea of what it might look like. Pending mesh updates.

http://i.imgur.com/4itTwYY.png

I think if you see seams that are just black lines, it looks strange, like here:

vReOT7D.png

Red is bad seams, green is good seams. ( I made a mistake, the second fuel tank from the left should have two red rectangles, and one green oval on the top.)

For the black edges that you have on the radial edges, instead of highlighting them with black, highlight them with a lighter gradient. It's a high accent, rather than a low accent. It makes it look more like a real edge, than a fold, or a crease, or an outline. Defined stripes are good, but you shouldn't outline your faces and polygons. It draws attention to the unwrap, rather than the pretty accents and stripes.

I'm new to this too. It's a learning experience, and you're currently better at it than I. I can't do it myself easily, but I know what looks good I think. :P