[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

13 hours ago, Kuu Lightwing said:

Derp... Well, I guess that's a thing. At least I know where to look if I want to build those :)

How plausible is all that stuff?

I'd say we were pretty good about trying to keep to what might be possible in a practical budget. Several times we were inclined to put a finger on the scale and steer the TL in a direction we preferred rather than perhaps the most plausible path. For instance, the Saturn IC and Multibody based on it are fun rockets and feasible, but probably not great approaches at the times they're approved, and the entire period 1970-1973 or so is one giant handwave over the politics. There's alternate options that'd be more sensible, either equally capable and cost-effective per flight as Saturn IC while having lower upfront cost of development (even options that aren't Titan, something like cost-reduced volume production of Saturn IB, perhaps with boosters), or more capable for similar development cost (something like introducing a multicore 6.6m kerolox rocket right from the start, perhaps even in a version with 2xF-1A based on some of the Boeing Saturn V LRB concepts). Of course, either would involve such rewrites and butterflies it'd be a totally different timeline. The launch vehicles in the early timeline are probably the biggest issue, but there's a few other subtle ones: Space Station Freedom moves pretty freaking quick in development, as does the lunar landing program in the 90s, but on the whole I'm still proud of it.

Edited by e of pi

Those automatic resupply ships look so tasty, but there's little to no use for them without life support mods. They carry ore by default, but I can hardly imagine them carrying ore around... Not to mention that AARDV won't get very far when fully loaded with ore.

Edited by Kuu Lightwing

9 minutes ago, minepagan said:

@Drakenex was the one who made the rescale cfgs for the block 4 mm and saturn multibody tanks, right?

Is there any chance they could be added to the Extras folder of the Github, until the "real" parts are released?

Well, Saturn MB family was "approved" hehe (proportions wise), I don't know about the CSM :confused:

MWCLa0D.jpg

8 hours ago, Kuu Lightwing said:

Those automatic resupply ships look so tasty, but there's little to no use for them without life support mods. They carry ore by default, but I can hardly imagine them carrying ore around... Not to mention that AARDV won't get very far when fully loaded with ore.

They carry... ore? 0.o

And yeah, there wouldn't be much use for them without life support. The Skylab update will change that, since they'll also be able to carry the experiment packages for use in labs, but you'll still want life support to get the full use out of them.

2 hours ago, minepagan said:

@Drakenex was the one who made the rescale cfgs for the block 4 mm and saturn multibody tanks, right?

Is there any chance they could be added to the Extras folder of the Github, until the "real" parts are released?

1 hour ago, Rock3tman_ said:

Totally agree with @minepagan.  Love the rescales and my program, as you can see from my screenshots, wouldn't be complete without them.

1 hour ago, Drakenex said:

Well, Saturn MB family was "approved" hehe (proportions wise), I don't know about the CSM :confused:

I mean, I don't have an issue with it. Someone make a pull request? :)

And @Drakenex you don't need the plate adapter for the AARDV tug. The docking port goes right on top of the control core.

fetch.php?w=750&tok=bf4eda&media=timelin

21 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

And @Drakenex you don't need the plate adapter for the AARDV tug. The docking port goes right on top of the control core.

yeah, one of my artistic licenses :P

Let me know if someone else wants crafts files (including AARDV BII). Also I'll add resizes using the +PART format, in case some one wants to help let me know!

50 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

They carry... ore? 0.o

And yeah, there wouldn't be much use for them without life support. The Skylab update will change that, since they'll also be able to carry the experiment packages for use in labs, but you'll still want life support to get the full use out of them.

Well... that's the only option without anything else:

601bd27484254f2bbff84f2cac6f789f.png

BTW, how are they supposed to be powered? Sure they have some embedded batteries, but usually those craft that don't use solar panels to generate energy - use fuel cells, right? I guess I could use Kane solar panels, but apparently AARDV doesn't have them canonically.

And I thought about adding life support, but I believe that could be a bit of a nuisance - say if I have to drop from timewarp on my mission to Duna to send resupply craft to all my stations... or even worse - forgetting to do so. It already is kinda bad with labs because I kinda have to do so if I want to use all that time to get science, but nothing really bad happens if I don't. And of course extra mass in 2x Kerbin would be a much bigger problem than in stock - and I never went interplanetary in 2x before.

5 minutes ago, Kuu Lightwing said:

Well... that's the only option without anything else:

BTW, how are they supposed to be powered? Sure they have some embedded batteries, but usually those craft that don't use solar panels to generate energy - use fuel cells, right? I guess I could use Kane solar panels, but apparently AARDV doesn't have them canonically.

Dunno what to tell you. They're not fully implemented yet and probably won't be for this release.

The Block II Apollo used fuel cells, Block V used solar panels, Block III and IV used batteries in the service module for simplicity. AARDV Block I (block II isn't in game yet but you can get a rough idea looking at @Drakenex's post), being based on Block III, uses batteries.

41 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Dunno what to tell you. They're not fully implemented yet and probably won't be for this release.

The Block II Apollo used fuel cells, Block V used solar panels, Block III and IV used batteries in the service module for simplicity. AARDV Block I (block II isn't in game yet but you can get a rough idea looking at @Drakenex's post), being based on Block III, uses batteries.

well I want to make it less rough, any recommendations for the pressurized module? may be a rezised CX aerospace module? (they have handrails so I don't know) the unpressurized is covered with tantares.

fetch.php?w=750&tok=e9c48d&media=timelinfetch.php?w=750&tok=98055b&media=timelin

@Drakenex I made a rescaled version of the AARDV module that is a decent replacement. I'm at school right now so I can't share, but when I get home I will.

EDIT: Nevermind. I saw you didn't want to use the AARDV texture. I would say that a CX node module rescaled would probably be your best bet here. The node module doesn't have handrails built in IIRC

Edited by Rock3tman_

Hello, 

I like the mod, (seriously this is THE mod for me)... But in my current new install, I would need only the science parts (too many non-real engines and parts, simply doesn't fit)... Can I just delete everything else, except the /parts/science folder? Or do I need to keep some other stuff to make it work? Thanks

19 minutes ago, Skalgrin said:

Hello, 

I like the mod, (seriously this is THE mod for me)... But in my current new install, I would need only the science parts (too many non-real engines and parts, simply doesn't fit)... Can I just delete everything else, except the /parts/science folder? Or do I need to keep some other stuff to make it work? Thanks

That should be fine. :)

19 hours ago, Rory Yammomoto said:

When will we get that cool extending engine back? The RL-10 that we had just prior to the switch to cryogenics?

When Cobalt re-dos it to make it compatible with the new deployable engines plugin

In the mean time, SSTU and CryoEngines have the RL-10b too.