[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Another little treat... tracking versions of the Ranger solar panels! I figured solar panels are things people will never say no to... and now you can use these cool panels in many more designs!

I am planning on trying to do the same with the Lunar Orbiter panels.

AIONAV2.png

18 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

If anyone hasn't checked out the amazing Chrayol Design Bureau by @DylanSemrau, you should.

RNdzxhN.png

So new Titan Color scheme coming soon?!

Once the 1.01 update is released I will probably go grab that mod as it looks AWESOME!      But I would so totally NOT be upset if you decided to actually produce that color scheme for Titan... and maybe an alt color to the outer case for the SRM/SRMU recovery parachute (since the buff color will clash with the India Red color... maybe even the bright white?)

====================

Oh and THANKS for making the tracking small solar panels.   You have made launching small probes easy with that little change!

Edited by Pappystein

11 hours ago, Zorg said:

If we made it more powerful it could end up OP for the stock system and for rescaled systems as well (where most people play with antenna scaling). Your use case seems to be an edge case where you are playing upscaled with stock antenna powers.

The reason I play with such a setup is that (IMO) stock antennas are too powerful for stock (as just almost everything else in stock game, LOL). Rescaling them basically kills the reason to put several antennas on a single vessel or use NFEx reflectors. Somewhat unsurprisingly, stock antenna power feels just alright when you play on 2.5x rescale.

That being said, I've made myself a small MM patch that boosts their range to levels more suitable for 2.5x\JNSQ rescales (2M for Courier and Telstar, 3.5M for Relay). This doesn't make them OP (IMO), but removes the need of launching too many sats (and face possible performance problems later).

Also, I would suggest to change their VesselType (and thus, map icon) to relay - because they are, well, relays.

6 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

The reason I play with such a setup is that (IMO) stock antennas are too powerful for stock (as just almost everything else in stock game, LOL). Rescaling them basically kills the reason to put several antennas on a single vessel or use NFEx reflectors. Somewhat unsurprisingly, stock antenna power feels just alright when you play on 2.5x rescale.

That being said, I've made myself a small MM patch that boosts their range to levels more suitable for 2.5x\JNSQ rescales (2M for Courier and Telstar, 3.5M for Relay). This doesn't make them OP (IMO), but removes the need of launching too many sats (and face possible performance problems later).

Also, I would suggest to change their VesselType (and thus, map icon) to relay - because they are, well, relays.

If 2M and 3.5M work for you I can look at bumping them up actually. Thats still below the HG5 so I think that works for the tech balance (which is a whole nother can of worms).

I really hate antenna balance and wish someone would take it off my hands

So I know this is an oddball question but could the old Mercury Posi-grade motors be kept?  Or alternatively, could a new motor be developed for the IDCSP    They work AMAZING for deploying the IDCSP satellites in a Harmonic orbit (the new Posigrade will not attach to the IDCSP sats and might be too small from the attachment point)  The motor is completely hidden in the IDCSP antenna/tail and provide enough thrust and d/v to circularize one of these sats in most orbits I would use them from.      IRL Solar wind/Drag/Gravity would distribute the sats... We don't have that in KSP so we need to give em a kick to circularize!

PS @Jso I love the IDCSP sats you toiled on.  They are my favorite early Sat Comm-network!   I use them for Comms until I am launching my JX2 antennas for Deep space late in the game!

As you both can see.  in JSNQ deploying 8 of these in a Resonant orbit only need 58m/s to circularize the IDCP packages   That is at Kerbostationary orbit in JNSQ

kXV9aYB.jpg

=============================================================================

EDIT:  I have discoverd the new main Retros for Mercury might work (but they are visible.... :/ )  I am attempting a Titan IIIA launch with a full constellation (and a pair of UA1202s just for extra kick!) as I write this

Edited by Pappystein

On 3/21/2020 at 4:22 PM, MashAndBangers said:

I typed in Ablestar, and got lots of stuff in the VAB....  And we don't have the SAF version of the Fairing... ;)

screenshot1151_-_Copy.png?width=728&heig

screenshot1155.png?width=516&height=828

screenshot1158_-_Copy.png?width=1754&height=637

screenshot1160.png?width=1473&height=829

screenshot1161.png?width=1473&height=829

It should be noted that the top of the Ablestar is slightly smaller than 0.9375m so to maintain the silhouette its placed on a new ultra low profile fairing base sized specifically for the Ablestar (and TAID too I guess if you want to use it on that). I will make the same fairing available on the standard 0.9375m base with a little rescaling soon though.

40 minutes ago, space_powder said:

What mod do you use for the decals, and could you share a link to a list of those you use? They really make any rocket shine!

The mod is Nebula decals. 

@Friznit and I have been maintaining a google drive with some custom decals here. You need to drop the ones you want into the textures folder in Nebula and add it to the cfg

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10L1GCuiiLvg9go07Ag8FmtiL6k8WWc-f

OK, so @CobaltWolf and @Jso   I think I can safely retract my previous post (request) and have the pictures to prove it.   The new Mercury Retro, while physically Bigger than the IDCSP tail, works fine for Circularizing the IDCSP.

8oxcYD0.jpg

here is my Post Circularization Comm network (all done on 1 launch.)  I had one IDCSP sat deploy at the wrong time (hammer-fist on the space bar while still ~5 minutes from activation!) so you will see a less than perfect separation between the 8+1 (Transtage) satellites in Kerbostationary orbit.   I have included several pictures of the launch (a Titan IIIA with 2 UA1202s for extra precaution.)  

I got smart after the 2nd Probe was away and opened MechJeb's Surface Info window (on the left.)  When the m/s drops below 1 I am good to burn.  I think my first two deployments were at -30m/s and -20m/s leaving the less than stellar... stellar constellation of Comm-sats!

Spoiler

The Launch Vehicle an properly AJ-9 Engined (from the BDB_Extras folder!)  Titan IIIA

dX53HYb.jpg

Ok I added a brace of UA-1202s to it because in real Life Titan IIIA didn't have enough umpf for Geo orbit with such a big payload...   And Titan IIIC was overkill (and would result in stages lost in space... aka orbital debris!)

First launch using PVG Guidance from Mechjeb.....

Em6G0h5.jpg

Ooops!  Critical failure... After UA1202 seperation Mechjeb burn DOWN (at UA1202 Apoapsis was 58km...  Notice above it is 56 after Stage 1 burnt out.    Long story short.   BOOM.   The Engineeers determined there was a Short to ground in the Transtage guidance loop resulting in a closed loop guidance instead of the as designed Open loop Guidance.     After a Second Attempt with PVG ended in failure, Launch Control switched to Stock Gravity turn...   Launch 3.... yup... failure again.  

Two more failed attempts and Launch Control switched to the old fashion Radio controled ascent (Classic Ascent Profile)

1GcJKNv.jpg

Sometimes you should just stick with what works!

7sipRgu.jpg

Transtage Burning to what will be the Periapsis of the Hyperbolic orbit:

X2pLLjM.jpg

Ahh with sunrise we can finally see the Payload as it is arranged:

ZVFR7PN.jpg

Yes I have not downloaded the latest Git Dev Build so I don't have tracking solar panels yet!  a But that is ok cause Transtage was long enough to support both directions of deployment!

OnYqHBf.jpg

Here we are now with the Mission planner set to convert the current Apoapsis into the Periapsis of our Hyperbolic Orbit as calculated with the Resonant Orbit Calculator.  

Here is one of the IDCSP sats where you can see the Mercury retro on the tail side:

Iw32mG8.jpg

And after 10 orbits, we have a final Transtage burn to disposal (NO SPACE JUNK!)

zjsx9J4.jpg

GeZ8vaz.jpg

I noticed after deploying the IDCSP sats that the "procedural" structure to their attachment plate disappears.  I don't know if anything can/could be done about that!   (I really don't care but it was the first time I noticed it so I mention it.) 

So there you have it.   I deployed 8 IDCSP sats using a reduced fuel Mercury Retro motor.  Each is ALMOST in a perfectly circular orbit (all are about off by the same ammount.)   And once I figured out precision deployment techniques (Mechjeb SURFACE INFO!) I got a reasonable deployment!

==========Whoops sorry!=======================

The Photo in the album is too hard to see the engine on the web so here is a better closeup!

uhdYt7q.jpg

Left side attaches to the Truss... Right side has the Engine! (for those who haven't built this before!)

Edited by Pappystein

Quad Redstone is nice:

HM76iRW.png

u0xncAK.png

qlXSRND.png

Can be a bit tricky to fly in the end, due to high TWR.

What exactly is it based on? Some actual Redstone-derived design, Soviet rockets, or pure fiction? :)

2nd "45K-look-alike" stage is Redstone short tank, 1.25m fairing base (serves as tank cover\engine mount) and Agena butt. Juno IV interstage attaches to Agena engine mount and then nudged into place with offset tool. This means it can be assembled at R&D Tier 2.

Nice Rocket Biohazzard15.     So Jeb bet Bill that he could make and fly a rocket to orbit a lot cheaper than the Atlas they were using to Put Mercury into orbit. 

Bill took the bet.   

U9cZkxD.jpg

Jeb re-purposed a LGM-118 Rocket san's it's post boost vehicle (no reason to de-orbit the payload... it has it's own Deorbit engines!)

nzqBPBc.jpg

Final orbit 258km x 792km

Spoiler

736AoOn.jpg

RMCCUcI.jpg

7UQgQL5.jpg

Sequential burn at 792km.   It works and has little pitch/yaw (there will always be SOME pitch and yaw... due to you know, Inertia and Gravity!)

From 792x258km orbit, the Deorbit too a LOT of ablator off (over 75% by time of landing!)

xB4EMx1.jpg

Missed it by *THAT MUCH*

pHhmTzE.jpg

you can see the Drogue crashing right next to the Mercury... which is ~1/4th of a mile inland from the Ocean!    Lets hope the Bag works!

And the Glamor shot of the Capsule!

yRfzo4l.jpg

Yes I intentionally left the top black.   I think it looks better than all white on the Orange.     PS the solar panels didn't survive the Launch!

After all that Jeb posted these two photos to the intra-pilot communication system:

EuIEkZY.jpg

GfX1SLG.jpg

After all that Jeb experienced a high of 9.39gees  Achieved a 750x250 oribt (well a little larger)  But in JNSQ that orbit is still LOW... thus no gain for science!

And then Valentina pointed out... "But we can put parachutes on the Atlas Booster and recover it for re-use and to save funds!"   

Doh!  Jeb handed Bill a 100 fund note!

14 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Can be a bit tricky to fly in the end, due to high TWR.

What exactly is it based on? Some actual Redstone-derived design, Soviet rockets, or pure fiction? :)

2nd "45K-look-alike" stage is Redstone short tank, 1.25m fairing base (serves as tank cover\engine mount) and Agena butt. Juno IV interstage attaches to Agena engine mount and then nudged into place with offset tool. This means it can be assembled at R&D Tier 2.

Yeah, I think it needs to be nerfed more.

And... idk. I just kept thinking about missiles/rockets like the Kosmos 3 and R-16. I imagine it's just, a bunch of Redstone thrust chambers driven off a common set of machinery. I liked the idea of just having this kinda crappy engine created by pushing primitive technology to its limit.

RD-216M_big.jpg

15 hours ago, Pappystein said:

And then Valentina pointed out... "But we can put parachutes on the Atlas Booster and recover it for re-use and to save funds!"   

Doh!  Jeb handed Bill a 100 fund note!

Unless I'm missing something, Jeb may have handed Bill the funds too quickly. The Atlas booster doesn't allow surface attachments, so where are you going to stick the parachutes?

Cool rockets BTW, the idea of Jeb blasting off at 10G's on a SRB is hilarious. :D

31 minutes ago, CDSlice said:

The Atlas booster doesn't allow surface attachments, so where are you going to stick the parachutes?

It does along the avionics pods on the big tank. That's where I stick smart parts.

Unless I'm missing something, Jeb may have handed Bill the funds too quickly. The Atlas booster doesn't allow surface attachments, so where are you going to stick the parachutes?

Cool rockets BTW, the idea of Jeb blasting off at 10G's on a SRB is hilarious. :D

It does along the avionics pods on the big tank. That's where I stick smart parts.

Actually TBC I said the booster... as in the booster skirt.   You can place them on the bottom half of the engine lobes (near the LR89s) or in the Center where the two rectangles are (I don't because IRL the LR101 attitude adjustment verniers would burn them up!)  2x LR-89s and the skirt itself recovery cost is just over 1.1x the cost difference between the two rockets (I checked with a launch.)   So BARELY is the Atlas Cheaper than LGM-118.  But then again, 10G, Break your parts BadA ride for a BadA pilot?!   Yup.  Jebs new ride EVERY TIME! :P

But yes, With a heat-shield mounted SOMEWHERE, Stage-Recover will allow you to recover the core stage.... Provided it somehow makes it back to Kerbin.    It is hard to do due to the needing the heat shield (which just looks weird on a bare tank, even if you put it at the nose or bury it between two tanks!) and there is not a lot of room for radial parachutes... You will need about 4 or 8, depending on if you use Real-Chutes.

Yeah, I think it needs to be nerfed more.

And... idk. I just kept thinking about missiles/rockets like the Kosmos 3 and R-16. I imagine it's just, a bunch of Redstone thrust chambers driven off a common set of machinery. I liked the idea of just having this kinda crappy engine created by pushing primitive technology to its limit.

RD-216M_big.jpg

*Cough* R-7? *Cough* Soyuz *Cough* err wait that is a reasonably reliable rocket family that are almost efficient.....    (walks away shaking head in dismay! :) )

RE the A-6/A-7 Rocketdyne rocket engine....   I seem to be getting about the correct performance out of it in JNSQ.   I just BARELY broke atmo with Mercury.  And depending on Sargent firing timing I can or can not get a Pioneer probe into orbit.  

If anything I am concerned about the mass of the new 11 Baby Sargent stage than the A-6 / A-7.    Maybe forces the Alcohol/LOX config as default at all times?   Hydine was used only on some of it's launches for NASA (and none of the M-R flights IIRC.)   Hydine is heavier than Methanol....   And both are VASTLY different than RP-1 LOX