[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

I installed this mod for the first time this weekend. Wow!!!! I can't believe I've never used this mod before - It's amazing!

I have a quick question though. Can someone post a picture or explanation of how the GS series parts go together? Is the RV1 return capsule supposed to go into the recess hole in the ASD truss segment. Its seems like it should. Speaking of the RV1, is the parts order like so: heat shield; capsule; parachute; retro pack?

x

19 minutes ago, rextable said:

I installed this mod for the first time this weekend. Wow!!!! I can't believe I've never used this mod before - It's amazing!

I have a quick question though. Can someone post a picture or explanation of how the GS series parts go together? Is the RV1 return capsule supposed to go into the recess hole in the ASD truss segment. Its seems like it should. Speaking of the RV1, is the parts order like so: heat shield; capsule; parachute; retro pack?

x

See here https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki/Keyhole

Hey everyone.  I am having a problem with a science return mission and maybe someone can help.  I built the Mariner 2 probe for a science transmit mission in JNSQ.   All of the other science experiments will transmit back to Kerbal except for the Microwave Spectrum data from the Mariner 2 Radiometer.  I can transfer the data to a science storage container without any problems, but trying to transmit the data results in it never reaching Kerbal.  

I am going to just cheat the contract to completion but has anyone else run into this problem?

4 minutes ago, IM_AM_SVEN said:

Hey everyone.  I am having a problem with a science return mission and maybe someone can help.  I built the Mariner 2 probe for a science transmit mission in JNSQ.   All of the other science experiments will transmit back to Kerbal except for the Microwave Spectrum data from the Mariner 2 Radiometer.  I can transfer the data to a science storage container without any problems, but trying to transmit the data results in it never reaching Kerbal.  

I am going to just cheat the contract to completion but has anyone else run into this problem?

Is it failing to transmit at all or are you running out of ECs to transmit?

1 minute ago, Pappystein said:

Is it failing to transmit at all or are you running out of ECs to transmit?

It is failing to transmit.  Electrical power never drops below 190/200 on the craft.  The status text in the upper left displays that the science has 100% transmitted with no success.  I have three different antennas on the craft and have attempted transmission from all three with zero success.  I cheated a new copy of the craft into orbit to try.  thinking it may have been something with that particular part when it was created with no luck.  Tried moving the science to a science container first and then transmit it with no luck.  

Each time I get a message saying it was 100% transmitted however running the experiment again shows it is still available.  With my current mod loadout all of the other science (magnetometer, ion trap,  dust collector, and ir radiation) has transmitted successfully. 

I was looking back at some of the Saturn/Apollo update pics and remembered reading something about different types of LM’s. I saw a habitat version, but I was wondering if you are planning on making an LSAM lander, as in the new season of for all Mankind, we have very good pictures of the LSAM. 

17 hours ago, Ollz said:

I was looking back at some of the Saturn/Apollo update pics and remembered reading something about different types of LM’s. I saw a habitat version, but I was wondering if you are planning on making an LSAM lander, as in the new season of for all Mankind, we have very good pictures of the LSAM. 

I believe cobalt said some pages down that it's not likely, but your question got me wondering if, like you said, there will be any LM variants or not. I'm guessing only color variants?

20 hours ago, Ollz said:

2 hours ago, space_powder said:

I believe cobalt said some pages down that it's not likely, but your question got me wondering if, like you said, there will be any LM variants or not. I'm guessing only color variants?

No plans to do LSAM. Yeah, as I said a couple pages back, I don't watch FAM and I don't know how plausible the designs of the LSAM and Jamestown are from a performance perspective.

I'd like to do some LM variants, but won't promise any for the first release here. The old LM parts had a lot of issues, and couldn't really be used as a basis for variants. I'm trying to avoid that issue this time around.

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

No plans to do LSAM. Yeah, as I said a couple pages back, I don't watch FAM and I don't know how plausible the designs of the LSAM and Jamestown are from a performance perspective.

I mean, when the main characters land on the Moon, they use a J-Class LEM to land in Shackleton via going from Equatorial to Polar Orbit. Plus there's one scene at the end of the series that kind of ticked me off knowing how orbital mechanics work. 

Plus, the LSAM, not as many good shots as I was hoping for. The show does have some decent to cool moments, but it's just (IMHO) avg. 

PS: @CobaltWolf out of curiosity, in the next version will you guys have @Beale's new IVAs?

Dumb question, but the SCAN-23 "VS-11" module... Is that meant to be a KH-11 KENNEN in effect? If so, I'm having trouble making it "fit" on the KH-9 base, it's too small... And CactEye isn't scratching my hubble-alike itch, it's *massive*, barely fits in the shuttle bay let alone on a 34D. :(

44 minutes ago, Hachiro said:

Dumb question, but the SCAN-23 "VS-11" module... Is that meant to be a KH-11 KENNEN in effect? If so, I'm having trouble making it "fit" on the KH-9 base, it's too small... And CactEye isn't scratching my hubble-alike itch, it's *massive*, barely fits in the shuttle bay let alone on a 34D. :(

Try the spectrometer telescope from Nertea’s space dust mod. It looks exactly like Hubble’s lens

1 hour ago, Kerbal01 said:

I might be stupid but is the Gemini lander docking port not actually supposed to hard dock?

last I knew the Gemini Lander docking port was 180 degrees off rotation (it could have been fixed, I haven't played with the Langley lander in a while.)   So make certain you are rotated the correct way when docking or weirdness can happen.

Gemini Lunar Flyby (Titan LDC)

Today, we have a "possible" Gemini Lunar Flyby variant, on a "possible" Titan LDC. While this particular thing is my invention, I can't rule out the possibility of it being buried in some USAF\NASA\whatever paper. Since there were so many Gemini Lunar Flyby and LDC variants, anything is possible!

This one makes use of MOL parts, including Gemini B.

dEVCmLn.png

NiroFI2.png

Note that only two core engines are running. According to Ed Kyle, only two LR-87s were ignited at liftoff. The other pair ignited at about T+90sec, and the first pair shut down at around T+180s. This is what I'm trying to replicate (kind of).

dteQvPa.png

Gemini B is upgraded with LES.

u44mzQA.png

TJUkk15.png

Starting the 2nd pair of LR-87s at T+60s - this is done for the sake of good TWR.

UYEa1y6.png

zU4qkSy.png

Jettisoning spent UA-1207s.

WQkwqU1.png

Jettisoning LES.

ew8v92X.png

8KMt9Nv.png

Switching off the first pair of LR-87s, at about T+210s. Again, this is done for the sake of TWR - to keep it above 1.

LmZue0r.png

mRsvTmi.png

The rocket is modeled after LDC-2 proposal from 1966, with one major difference: 2nd stage engine is LR-87 instead of LR-91. This is done for the sake of, you've already guessed, TWR - with LR-91, 2nd stage TWR is abysmal.

yQkj6kw.png

Ac6rrzZ.png

zJAvDbc.png

Jettisoning LDC's 2nd stage.

TLI stage is modified Titan II's 2nd stage. Quite plausible, I think.

XfeBRZz.png

O4ibBWm.png

CUBPhy3.png

TLI stage performs, well, TLI.

FuKLZmW.png

Jettisoning the TLI stage.

y02TWp9.png

5Eb0KSA.png

EAhSyYG.png

Gemini deploys various Gemini stuff. There is a tunnel to the ship's butt (you can see the window). Making use of that Gemini B's crew tunnel. (Not functional)

QFHVgsR.png

Couple of days later - approaching the Moon.

Af8fRLC.png

Making course correction burn, in order not to become a Moon crater.

qamhQmB.png

TWhhJJw.png

kGZbz0D.png

D4GknIn.png

bNSFnEP.png

The Moon flung the ship pretty far.

V16azdL.png

Mc3f9A0.png

So we're making some correction burns.

I5VrCoh.png

Looks like we're about to land in Indian Ocean.

zghwKLN.png

Jettisoning the MOL-derived service module...

hQAdSVD.png

...and the descent module.

8GDUnGc.png

QKbr5Am.png

HFVYfUG.png

OV5FfbP.png

Reentry!

8Iu4eSM.png

Deploying the drogue chute...

4k81JNe.png

UkmUSjt.png

...followed by the main chute.

LcTey9f.jpg

aKV8NQn.png

OtIlBBI.jpg

7 hours ago, Hachiro said:

You might get better luck with Nertea's other parts to make a KH-11 facsmile - here's something I knocked up using ScanSat and Near Future parts to launch on the BDB Delta IV (I'm in career mode and haven't unlocked the round probes cores yet but you get the idea..)

yXfBdaE.png

BDB Screenshot tax:

9ZZS4yz.png

Edited by Friznit

@CobaltWolf

I have a suggestion/idea for the Sarnus family

The  Saturn family had more Generations:

1st Generation consisted of the Saturn 1/1B, Saturn III/IV, and the Saturn V

2nd Generation consisted of the MLV Saturn III/IV, MLV Saturn V-1, and the MLV Saturn V-23-L

2.5nd Generation consisted of the MLV Saturn V-3, MLV Saturn V-24-L, and the MLV Saturn V-26-L

3rd Generation consisted of the MLV Saturn III/IV-5, MLV Saturn V-5, MLV Saturn V-25-L, MLV Saturn V-27-L, and the MLV Saturn V-29-L

Maybe you could add them into BDB

Here is a Fandom page for more  info: KatnisssSpaceProgram Wiki | Fandom

(P.S: I do not have the intention of you copying Katniss.)

Edited by Naeth Kerman

21 hours ago, davidy12 said:

I mean, when the main characters land on the Moon, they use a J-Class LEM to land in Shackleton via going from Equatorial to Polar Orbit. Plus there's one scene at the end of the series that kind of ticked me off knowing how orbital mechanics work. 

Plus, the LSAM, not as many good shots as I was hoping for. The show does have some decent to cool moments, but it's just (IMHO) avg. 

PS: @CobaltWolf out of curiosity, in the next version will you guys have @Beale's new IVAs?

Yeah. If I'm honest, I'm more interested in stuff that's based on the actual LM descent stage and stuff? That LSAM thing wouldn't fit in an SLA for one thing...

...Crap we forgot the IVAs.

15 hours ago, Kerbal01 said:

I might be stupid but is the Gemini lander docking port not actually supposed to hard dock?

13 hours ago, Pappystein said:

last I knew the Gemini Lander docking port was 180 degrees off rotation (it could have been fixed, I haven't played with the Langley lander in a while.)   So make certain you are rotated the correct way when docking or weirdness can happen.

Does it not? :/

14 hours ago, Hachiro said:

Isn't that a 2.5m module? I wouldn't expect it to fit, yeah. I don't think Nertea's parts are meant to be scaled properly, they're usually just clearly visually inspired by stuff.

1 hour ago, Naeth Kerman said:

@CobaltWolf

I have a suggestion/idea for the Sarnus family

The  Saturn family had more Generations:

~snip~

Here is a Fandom page for more  info: KatnisssSpaceProgram Wiki | Fandom

(P.S: I do not have the intention of you copying Katniss.)

I believe those are almost all original designs that Katniss created. :)

On 3/28/2021 at 2:00 PM, CobaltWolf said:

I'd like to do some LM variants, but won't promise any for the first release here. The old LM parts had a lot of issues, and couldn't really be used as a basis for variants. I'm trying to avoid that issue this time around.

In terms of simple texture switches, I am pretty sure at minimum a silver foil variant would be quite simple to do, as once the gold foil texture is figured out, it can easily be modified to be silver.  Beyond that though I can't think of many variants for the LM.

Edited by Invaderchaos

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

...Crap we forgot the IVAs.

22 hours ago, davidy12 said:

I always assumed they wouldn't make the 1.7.2 release :) Will take a bit of time to populate the interiors with props, possibly make a few new props etc. But the good thing is hopefully our new workflow for git should allow us to release more frequently as important content is added instead of waiting for a single big annual update.

Just now, Invaderchaos said:

In terms of simple texture switches, I am pretty sure at minimum a silver foil variant would be quite simple to do, as once the gold foil texture is figured out, it can easily be modified to be silver. 

Sorry I was thinking like, LM Taxi, LM Truck and LM Shelter.