[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, ltajax said:

Random question, what solid kick engine is supposed to be used for the third stage in Thor / Fenris & Alpha / Able  with Pilgrim  / Pioneer 0 / 1 ? 

The Starra - 20 is the right one i think, but as far as I can see there are no decouplers that give enough distance between the tank and the probe, the antenna clip into the tank. The Starra 13-A fits but it lacks the fuel required for a burn to the Mun in JNSQ it seems.

Use the HLR-VD03 0.125m Decoupler with the Stara 20 in the ABL X-248 config and a 0.125m top diameter. The antenna just touches the solid motor, but that's the correct setup.

Sort decouplers by mass and the teeny-tiny one's are easier to find.

Spoiler

0IyBsOq.png

On 3/29/2021 at 10:50 AM, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah. If I'm honest, I'm more interested in stuff that's based on the actual LM descent stage and stuff? That LSAM thing wouldn't fit in an SLA for one thing...

I know this was a couple months ago, but looking at the AR model of the LSAM that they have in the Apple TV app, it doesnt appear to be much bigger than the LM. So I dont see why it wouldnt fit in an SLA-F at the very least (the normal SLA might have needed to be elongated slightly for it to fit in that, but thats probably the least outlandish thing For All Mankind could suggest).

13 hours ago, JoeSheridan said:

I like the designs :) both of you own Fatlas and of that brilliant looking probe :D I love it

Thanks! I can't believe it took me so long to realise that the Ranger landing legs fit so well under the lunar orbiter
Screenshot_339.png

5 hours ago, Beccab said:

Thanks! I can't believe it took me so long to realise that the Ranger landing legs fit so well under the lunar orbiter

Took you so long?!   I still didn't realize it (boots up KSP to build a similar lander for my science career!)

Edited by Pappystein

8 minutes ago, RP1IsSuperior said:

I've found the 5M DCSS and Delta IV parts are missing RO configs. Have they been written and my game is broken? or they just haven't been written

DCSS and Delta IV were added after the RO part configs were done for BDB, so no they don't have RO configs.

Not sure if this is intentional or not, but the TOS and IUS avionics and control packages only provide a source of RCS power and are not unmanned pods. It isn't much but it prevents from re-enacting a proper IUS flight with the correct maneuvers. 

Either in the Saturn Update, or in a later update to supplement it, are you planning on adding C-8 'Nova' parts? 

We have BDB's M-1 engines in development, and we have the Apollo CSM and the S-II. All that is required is the first stage tanks, a larger third stage tank and a landing stage with legs ( I say 'All we need' because it's to show what we already have, I'm not trying to say modding is easy and making these parts will take half an hour, I'm just pointing out how we have some of the pieces already :D)

I think the C-8 Nova would be a great addition to BDB!

K6uKOOd.jpg2GqYOak.png

Edited by AmateurAstronaut1969

34 minutes ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

Either in the Saturn Update, or in a later update to supplement it, are you planning on adding C-8 'Nova' parts? 

We have BDB's M-1 engines in development, and we have the Apollo CSM and the S-II. All that is required is the first stage tanks, a larger third stage tank and a landing stage with legs ( I say 'All we need' because it's to show what we already have, I'm not trying to say modding is easy and making these parts will take half an hour, I'm just pointing out how we have some of the pieces already :D)

I believe the creators have no plans for Nova

36 minutes ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

Nova , nova , give me your answer do ...

2 minutes ago, space_powder said:

from what I have heard there will be no nova, it is too big (imo) and ugly (imo)

Just now, golkaidakhaana said:

nova gonna give you up

nova gonna let you down

16 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Like a Lunokhod lander.

That gave me an idea...

Screenshot_404.pngScreenshot_415.png

Screenshots of the whole missions, I took a lot of them this time because I really really liked this rover:

Screenshot_341.pngScreenshot_353.pngScreenshot_358.pngScreenshot_382.pngScreenshot_389.pngScreenshot_395.pngScreenshot_398.pngScreenshot_408.pngScreenshot_415.pngScreenshot_420.pngScreenshot_424.pngScreenshot_421.pngScreenshot_426.png

Rocket is the same fat Atlas as before but with more boosters, upper stage a weird mix between Centaur and Titan, the lander is similar to the previous one but with monoprop engines and lots of fuel and the rover is a kitbash between lots of probes and the Tantares mini wheels. Except from these everythin else is from BDB!

Spoiler

BDB fictional parts to convert the Ranger probe into a wheeled rover when?;)

Edited by Beccab
Typo

14 hours ago, RP1IsSuperior said:

I've found the 5M DCSS and Delta IV parts are missing RO configs. Have they been written and my game is broken? or they just haven't been written

Please do note that we, the BDB authors dont write the RO configs for BDB. As with most mods with RO support, the configs are written by contributors to Realism Overhaul and are stored in the Realism Overhaul files, not in BDB itself.  

11 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

Not sure if this is intentional or not, but the TOS and IUS avionics and control packages only provide a source of RCS power and are not unmanned pods. It isn't much but it prevents from re-enacting a proper IUS flight with the correct maneuvers. 

Seems like an oversight? Will look into it.

Edited by Zorg

3 hours ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

3 hours ago, space_powder said:

3 hours ago, golkaidakhaana said:

3 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

from what I have heard there will be no nova, it is too big (imo) and ugly (imo)

nova gonna give you up

nova gonna let you down

2 hours ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

:o how dare you

s3mcG8N.png

4 hours ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

I really wish people would actually do research before requesting things.    Calling the Saturn C-8 a Nova rocket is like calling a car that gets airborne at high speed a hovercraft.  

C-8 is NOT NOVA.   C--8 is SATURN C-8 and it was proposed as a way to get the original Lunar Command Module (you know, the Apollo command module that lands on the moon) to the moon.   When Grumman proposed what became the Lunar Module, there was no need for C-8 and it was scrapped (along with C-2, C-3, C-4.)  

Several years later, Congress asked NASA why they were not using any Von Braun designs in the NOVA program...  A Low level NASA administrator said Von Braun already had rockets of that size planned.   That was not NASA doctrine but rather a flunkie being broken by a Congresscritter.    THAT is the only connection between Saturn C-8 and NOVA.  To cover themselves and avoid more Funding restrictions the Already complete Saturn C-8 prelim design was then thrown into the already completed NOVA program.  NOVA did not pay for Saturn C-8 (the US Army did) and Saturn C-8 was NOT developed for NOVA.  

So sure, you could call Saturn C-8 a NOVA by that... but it isn't. 

It does not help that Von Braun himself was probably the instigator for getting his rockets into the NOVA program....   As a way of staying relevant.   But in the end, NASA spent zero NOVA budgeted dollars on the Saturn C-8.   So Not NOVA.

On 4/30/2021 at 9:09 AM, Beccab said:

Screenshot_339.png

I haven't unlocked the legs yet in my playthrough... so I made this instead:

OrSMdNy.jpg

Now my first attempt ended in a survived failure.  I used the Lunar Orbiter as a chassis as you did but couldn't get the Lunar orbiter engine/fuel packs to go in 4x symmetry (they are node only apparently)  So I am curious what tank engine combo you used.   I used the engine 6x of the Lanadvermass from Probes+.   I used a bunch of spherical Mono tanks from Tantares and didn't use lander legs because the 6x engines were wide enough that I doubted it would tip.   PROBLEM:   6x engines was too high thrust!   CRASH and lost everything but one 1x6 solar panel and the core (so it could communicate but not broadcast any science back to Kerbin.

The above is my second attempt.   This time I used the GCU and Battery Pack from Agena as a core.   0.9375x0.625 payload adapter above.  There are 4x of the same Lanadvermass engines on this probe.   A total of 12 Mono tanks and I eliminated the 3 duplicated science parts from the Origional probe.   Since I do not have the Mariner legs unlocked I used the much bigger Gemini ones.   But as you can tell from the shadows I am actually landed on the doors to the 1x6 solar arrays!

@Beccab If you would post those craft files to KerbalX many of us would be appreciative! :D

Edited by Pappystein

Whoops, Followup  My Launcher for that beast was a 100% Hydrolox XLR-129 Powered LDC.   first stage with 5 XLR-129s and 4 GEM60s, and 2nd stage with a single XLR-129 VAC.   Third stage was a CEntaur III powered by twin RL10s.... I tried the RL30 but it had overheat problems and blew up.

5mywTMJ.jpg

About the cleanest view of my original probe from the post above.   RL30 looks good until:

ot5P8st.jpg

Edited by Pappystein

8 minutes ago, AmateurAstronaut1969 said:

Thanks very much then. That’s a really cool insight into what is what. I had some idea that they were different, but I didn’t know enough.

No problem.  And sorry if it sounded harsh.   About once every 3 months that request is posted.  and while I have literally nothing more to do with the mod creation than you do it frustrates me.

NOVA rockets are big ugly things.   My favorite is the Martin Plug engine (12 I think, F-1s around a central plug to turn them into a giant aerospike)

None of them were real workable designs.   NOVA was intended to push foward the technology that we use in "regular" rockets.  Not to actually be a rocket that was built.   Much like the Rocketdyne X-1 program was to push the LR79/S-3D engine to the ends of it's technology, or the J-2X was to push the J-2 Engine to the ends of it's technology.

We can thank the NOVA program for the engines developed under the J-2X program in the 1960s actually.  The J-2X(Linear) and J-2X(Torodial) aerospikes (later named J-2L and J-2T) are direct descendants of the NOVA program.

In fact, J-2L would end up being the test engine for the X-33 some 30 years later as the XRS-2200

PS, the Saturn MLV is basically the follow on to NOVA.   Except that it was hoped to actually build those (stupid Nixion for liking the stupid space shuttle above all else!)

I am severely tempted to try my hand again at modeling in KSP and make the Grumman Phase 1 Shuttle.   As a follow on to ETS (so Shuttle only in the late 1980s)

Edited by Pappystein