[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

45 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

I know a lot of people have had success using PVG in JNSQ and stock KSP with the Titan Rockets.

PVG is essential if you want to use Titan III and IV to their full capacity in KSRSS (or other mod with non-equatorial launch sites). Aside from careful and skillful manual piloting, it is probably the only way to do a dogleg maneuver in order to reach lower inclinations. In case of solid-boosted Titans this means converting all that extra 2nd core stage fuel into initial inclination change. Most beautiful thing is that you don't need to do anything - just set your desired inclination to something about 18deg (that's for Titan 23C with about 0.9t payload - typical contract comsat to GEO). It'll throw a warning, but still fly you there - with full Transtage. (YMMV, of course)

2 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

One thing I noticed today, is that the Apollo escape tower is shaking loose when I launch and use physics warp.

It has already been mentioned Auto-strut is your friend with the LES especially but 100% of a Saturn V needs Auto-strut.     If you don't normally use Auto Strut, I have had the best luck by alternating (Heaviest, and Root) working from the Bottom of the rocket.    LES always gets strutted to Heaviest!

I use PVG exclusively for all launches in JNSQ.  Very rarely have an issue with it, and that's usually only when I've massively overrated the thrust on a LV from laziness.

Zorg added a guide to using PVG with BBD in JNSQ and other acronyms on the unofficial wiki

Appreciate the info gentlemen. MJ#1092 PVG has been working wonderfully on all BDB thus far except the Titans on my end since it won't even enable PVG guidance sitting on the pad. So definitely something between the dev versions and the lastest versions of the BDB Titans. I also should have mentioned I'm on 1.12.1 not 11.2. Might make a difference or not... 

Overall though, PVG for ascent guidance on BDB rockets on rescaled systems is the only way to fly! :)

59 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

You guys are launching rockets?

I only call it a launch if it gets to orbit more or less as intended. Otherwise it's an information gathering exercise.

10 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

Just tried it, it still wobbles around during launch and throws off some launches.

Did you Autostrut to HEAVIEST (not root)?   

Alternatively , are you using a non standard docking port?   Anything NOT the BDB Drogue port is non standard and issues CAN happen with them (I sometimes have issues with the APAS and the LES for example.)   In my case I find the issues involved I am clipping something that the LES shield is touching....  OR I somehow have it attached at the wrong place.

*GOES TO DEV THREAD*

Hmm   No new Apollo CSM...  

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

You guys are launching rockets?

Nope, no launching rockets here :P

then decides to fly a Titan V-CH4 to the ISS to place another solar wing on board.   

:D

Edited by Pappystein

On 7/13/2021 at 4:58 PM, TaintedLion said:

One thing I noticed today, is that the Apollo escape tower is shaking loose when I launch and use physics warp.

So fun question given I just started playing in 1.12.x

Are you running 1.12?

Autostruts do not seem to work in old saves updated to 1.12 it seems.   IDK, I haven't reaserched this but my ISS is flopping arround in space since I upgraded to 1.12....

The SSP's solar wing was rotating along the axis of the bulk of the station and that induced some HUGE bending movements about the Harmony Node (does not help that it is part heavy and that there is a Skylab at the other end from the SPP.

2 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Autostruts do not seem to work in old saves updated to 1.12 it seems.   IDK, I haven't reaserched this but my ISS is flopping arround in space since I upgraded to 1.12....

From what I read on other threads, the rotating docking port feature added in 1.12 won't let autostruts work across docking ports any more.

I was looking at the Kerbalism/BDB compatibility patch and had a question on the early probe cores. How was the built-in solar panel charging set? Assuming based on real-world parameters? Reason I ask is because when using Kerbalism, turning on the built in science experiment exceeds the available power generated due to the spherical panels thus making the early cores pretty much useless for science gathering. So was thinking about how to balance the generation and consumption values for the early cores.  The problem is on the Kerbalism side not BDB, but just figured I'd ask the group here as well. 

11 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

From what I read on other threads, the rotating docking port feature added in 1.12 won't let autostruts work across docking ports any more.

That would explain ALL the problems (the LES is ON the Docking port for Saturn,   My ISS is turning into a Spaghetti - athon in space....

Damn, I may need to download whatever the current KJR is called...again... It has always caused issues in my playthroughs in the past (I am very VERY good at finding edge cases that programmers fail to take into account!)  

Edited by Pappystein

"Mom, I want Dockrotate!"

"Dear, we have Dockrotate at home."

Dockrotate at home: 

12 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

... of course I don't know if Dockrotate lets autostruts work...

6 hours ago, thunder175 said:

I was looking at the Kerbalism/BDB compatibility patch and had a question on the early probe cores. How was the built-in solar panel charging set? Assuming based on real-world parameters? Reason I ask is because when using Kerbalism, turning on the built in science experiment exceeds the available power generated due to the spherical panels thus making the early cores pretty much useless for science gathering. So was thinking about how to balance the generation and consumption values for the early cores.  The problem is on the Kerbalism side not BDB, but just figured I'd ask the group here as well. 

We have no balance rules for EC related parts other than comparing them to other similar parts.

We adjust solar panels and batteries as needed so the spacecraft can accomplish it's mission. If the power requirements seem excessive from a balance standpoint we may trim down the on board science or adjust other power consumers. Keep in mind that purely battery powered probes are expected to hibernate when idle. If Kerbalism is adding additional power consumption you'll need to account for that.

Some progress:

screenshot1270.png
(Pictured: Transit 3B, Transit 4A, Transit 5A, Transit 5BN, Transit 5E, Transit 5 SOOS, Injun 1, Clementine, SOLRAD/GRAB 3, LOFTI, SOLRAD 8, POPPY block 1, and POPPY block 2)

Ok here's a sneak peak at some of the stuff I've been working on lately:

Spoiler

screenshot1254.png
screenshot1255.png
Transit 5BN

screenshot1256.png
Transit 5

screenshot2159.png
screenshot2161.png
Poppy block 2

screenshot1236.png
Transit 3B and LOFTI

screenshot1263.png
screenshot1266.png
screenshot1268.png
screenshot1269.png

Transit 5E and Transit 5BN

screenshot1260.png

Transit 5 SOOS

screenshot1259.png

Transit 5-Oscar and Transit 5 SOOS in Scout fairing

screenshot1261.png

Transit 5E and Transit 5BN in Ablestar fairing

screenshot1249.png

Transit 5 in Able fairing

Edited by Invaderchaos

11 hours ago, Pappystein said:

That would explain ALL the problems (the LES is ON the Docking port for Saturn,   My ISS is turning into a Spaghetti - athon in space....

Damn, I may need to download whatever the current KJR is called...again... It has always caused issues in my playthroughs in the past (I am very VERY good at finding edge cases that programmers fail to take into account!)  

I came across a similar issue with floppy joints on my mod, and enabling "Rigid Attachment" in the PAW fixed the floppiness.  I didn't test it with parts that should decouple, but I was wondering if perhaps that could be a workaround for the LES issue.