[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

17 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

The Apollo/Saturn revamp branch on Github.

Does anyone know what was in the SIM bay on LEO missions, Skylab missions and ASTP? I guess it was just empty?

It was empty onn the other Apollo missions. On skylab I know there was an extra propellant pack but not sure if it was in the SIM bay or elsewhere. Not sure about ASTP.

Edited by Zorg

How far in do I put the LM inside the petal fairing? It seems if I just attach it to the node without offsetting it down some tips and greebles on the legs clip through the petals (will try to add pictures soon because my game crashed :() Or could I have built the lander wrong?

3 minutes ago, space_powder said:

How far in do I put the LM inside the petal fairing? It seems if I just attach it to the node without offsetting it down some tips and greebles on the legs clip through the petals (will try to add pictures soon because my game crashed :() Or could I have built the lander wrong?

The node on the SLA needs to attach to a hidden node within the descent module rather than the bottom of the engine.

19 minutes ago, TruthfulGnome said:

When i switched the SIM Bay Configuration, it turned pink once i hit the 'shielding off' 

Thanks I can reliably reproduce the issue. So it only happens if you switch the sim bay config with the door turned off. If you switch with the door turned on it doesnt seem to happen. Anyway we will investigate.

7 hours ago, Beccab said:

Screenshot_7182.png
"Well, maybe it's not a great landing, but surely we can call it a good one Val!"
"You're drunk, Jeb"

Time for the emergency rescue lander!
Screenshot_7186.pngScreenshot_7191.pngScreenshot_7205.png
Screenshot_7208.pngScreenshot_7218.pngScreenshot_7219.pngScreenshot_7231.pngScreenshot_7237.pngScreenshot_7242.pngScreenshot_7245.pngScreenshot_7249.pngScreenshot_7255.pngScreenshot_7257.png

Love this, reminds me of that chapter in the alternate history Ocean of Storms where Apollo 19's LEM is damaged by a moonquake and they have to use their Lunar Flying Unit to rendezvous with the CSM. Except they carried the Flying Unit in their LM Shelter, not deployed from the CSM like you have.

6 hours ago, Zorg said:

It was empty onn the other Apollo missions

It was actually filled with ballast to keep the CSM balanced.

10 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

Love this, reminds me of that chapter in the alternate history Ocean of Storms where Apollo 19's LEM is damaged by a moonquake and they have to use their Lunar Flying Unit to rendezvous with the CSM. Except they carried the Flying Unit in their LM Shelter, not deployed from the CSM like you have.

It was actually filled with ballast to keep the CSM balanced.

it wasant a balast they just filled with other equipment  like RCS tanks bateries and stuff its quite hard to find pictures of the other apollo CSM´s

16 minutes ago, birdog357 said:

I never understood why they didn't launch that on a throwaway booster just to save the station when the Shuttle fell behind schedule.

They planned to launch it on a Titan III but funding went brrrrr

Edited by TruthfulGnome

41 minutes ago, DaBaby Kerman said:

Hello! Sorry to bother ya', but I was wondering how you got the waterfall for SOCK? I can't seem to get waterfall for it, and was wondering if you would share how to with me.

Hey! Not a bother at all! It's actually the stock vector but using a mod called NF Realism which messes with some of the balancing.

Do you want a lunar base with a rover? Do you think that the NASA budget will continue to remain at the initial Apollo levels forever? In other words, are you a NASA scientist in 1968? Follow these three simple steps to achieve your goals!

1: send a LASS (LM Adapter Surface Station, thank you NASA for putting an acronym inside an acronym) with an unmanned Saturn V to the landing site

Spoiler

zlassmew.jpg

Screenshot_7259.pngScreenshot_7266.pngScreenshot_7267.pngScreenshot_7273.pngScreenshot_7278.pngScreenshot_7285.pngScreenshot_7299.pngScreenshot_7305.pngScreenshot_7320.png

Step 2: Send the MOLEM (Lunar Surface MObility LM, which is such a bad acronym it's funny. At least now with stuff like OSIRIS-REx they try to find some words that actually have the initials they put in the arconym and not completely random letters) with a crewed mission, but since you'd have no way to get back the rover lands uncrewed

Spoiler

MOLEM

Screenshot_7322.png
Screenshot_7327.pngScreenshot_7338.pngScreenshot_7355.pngScreenshot_7361.png

Step 3: Finally send the crew to the lunar surface with a Apollo LM Taxi (no new acronyms! Thanks god), which is a pretty boring LM-but-with-3-people and next to no external differences so I skipped the part before the lunar landing. With the crew there the steps are now complete and you can start doing the lunar stuff, such as driving the MOLEM around

Screenshot_7375.png
Screenshot_7377.pngScreenshot_7382.pngScreenshot_7390.pngScreenshot_7400.pngScreenshot_7406.pngScreenshot_7411.png

Screenshot_7408.png

2 hours ago, Pioneer_Steve said:

Hey! Not a bother at all! It's actually the stock vector but using a mod called NF Realism which messes with some of the balancing.

This sounds like something I'd like- is there a link somewhere? Google shows nothing and I can't find it on CKAN (if I even used CKAN)

1 hour ago, Beccab said:

Do you want a lunar base with a rover? Do you think that the NASA budget will continue to remain at the initial Apollo levels forever? In other words, are you a NASA scientist in 1968? Follow these three simple steps to achieve your goals!

1: send a LASS (LM Adapter Surface Station, thank you NASA for putting an acronym inside an acronym) with an unmanned Saturn V to the landing site

Reveal hidden contents

zlassmew.jpg

Step 2: Send the MOLEM (Lunar Surface MObility LM, which is such a bad acronym it's funny. At least now with stuff like OSIRIS-REx they try to find some words that actually have the initials they put in the arconym and not completely random letters) with a crewed mission, but since you'd have no way to get back the rover lands uncrewed

Reveal hidden contents

MOLEM

Step 3: Finally send the crew to the lunar surface with a Apollo LM Taxi (no new acronyms! Thanks god), which is a pretty boring LM-but-with-3-people and next to no external differences so I skipped the part before the lunar landing. With the crew there the steps are now complete and you can start doing the lunar stuff, such as driving the MOLEM around

Screenshot_7408.png

This is why i love the new Apollo parts, the kitbashing potential is crazy

More Mercury flights:

KKlzLoL.png

PTtkVIc.png

Friendship 7 over the Amazon during its three-orbit flight.

ClxAvTO.png

Delta 7, the first endurance-focused Mercury flight, completing four orbits around the Earth before power concerns necessitated an early reentry. Had Deke Slayton been the pilot of Mercury-Atlas 7, this is what he would have named his spacecraft. As it turned out, though, he was medically disqualified and Scott Carpenter made the flight instead with his spacecraft Aurora 7.

4hK8AwY.png

Sigma 7 is the first flight to spend an entire day in orbit. I decided to forgo Schirra's six-orbit flight and push ahead to the day-long mission, so that the final Mercury-Atlas flight can attempt a record of two or three days.

On an unrelated note, I'm curious about the Mercury retropackage's extended configuration. It doesn't add any more mass or resources and just seems cosmetic, so I'm wondering if it's just a creative liberty on BDB's part or if Mercury flights actually used equipment like this.

GxHpI6X.png

Sigma 7 featured extensive orbital photography and observation exercises. Here, the pilot is attempting to spot the Pyramids of Giza and the Suez Canal from his lofty vantage point.

SAMOS-1 Kitbash:

inMNIMS.png

Atlas livery courtesy y of BDBNIC

mwQWdzT.png

As far as I'm aware SAMOS is the only time the Agena-A launched on an Atlas.

aNX5GId.png

The USAF's SAMOS program served much the same purpose as the CIA's Keyhole/Corona, except it was advanced enough to transmit its images to the ground from orbit. Although some parts of the program are still classified, it's believed to have been cancelled because of the poor quality of its images compared to Corona.

Ranger Block 3:

aesPfev.png

HfjUrXS.png

5 hours ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

where'd you get those wheels

Uuuuh good question, I kinda forgot the name :blush:. It was a small mod with only wheels in it and that also included some wooden ones for some reason, later I'll go search on the forum for it but if anyone has a clue please tell me