[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

19 hours ago, Zorg said:

There is a bit of a myth in the community that pressure fed means no ullage required. This isnt true. Even the LM needed ullage. I struggle to find any bipropellant stages that dont require ullage. The Agena D engine (and its not even pressure fed) does not require ullage because it uses a special sump tank to feed the engine for start that I supposed can deliver the fuel cleanly. Technically its not the engine that doesnt need ullage per se, the fuel feed system on the Agena D is able to feed the engine. IIRC I also dont have ullage requirement on the RS30 because I found something in the docs, I think something about a pumped idle mode or something where it can blow donw some propellant using the secondary pumps enough to provide self ullage.

I dont know the exact physics behind the problems even with pressure fed stages needing ullage to settle it but this the information I've found. Mostly by looking up the sources in the Realism Overhaul engine config templates (which cite sources and are well researched).

Edit: to answer the first question, the Ables were hotstaged 

Thanks. I was looking all over the web and could not find a single source that mentioned that able was hotstage. I was hotstaging the whole time and thought I was doing it wrong.  I thought that the able could start once and obviously not restart without ullage after reading it somewhere yesterday. Maybe that person got the Agena and able stage mixed up. 

I have a second question about the thor able/delta. When I play 3.5 rescale is it cheating to set the fuel tank capacity to stock on the able/delta stages? I simply do not have the delta v to get into orbit even with the star srb. As mentioned I want to fulfill BDB satalite contracts with the real life launches because that forces me to learn about old rockets that I know nothing about. 

Edited by dave1904

15 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

I have a second question about the thor able/delta. When I play 3.5 rescale is it cheating to set the fuel tank capacity to stock on the able/delta stages? I simply do not have the delta v to get into orbit even with the star srb. As mentioned I want to fulfill BDB satalite contracts with the real life launches because that forces me to learn about old rockets that I know nothing about. 

What's cheating in KSP? :P play as you like.

All we can say is that we balance around 2.7x (to be exact JNSQ as a reference for the last two years or so). Even then its not a precise balance like RO/RSS some of the smaller rockets might be a bit underpowered and Saturn is slightly overpowered. Beyond 2.5/2.7x scales you're on your own. Whether you want to adjust the balance, use SMURFF or just build bigger rockets for a given payload.

Edited by Zorg

30 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

I'm with @Zorg, if you really don't like the tedium of launching use mechjeb to automate your launches. Or use alt-F12 and edit your orbit or DL hyperedit to be more precise. Works well in JNSQ and I'm sure it'll work in any RSS size as well. 

Was there an intentional change to the drag characteristics of the SLA panels in the nosecone update? Using a Saturn 1b prior to them being added I was able to just squeak into a 130km orbit without firing the engine of the CSM, but even making sure the nose is disabled I fall quite a bit short now even trying with mechjeb and the guide. This is in JNSQ, no Ferram or anything.

Also, minor issue, but the apollo capsule gets dangerously hot very easily despite a full heatshield recently.

And very, very minor issue. Apollo is quite bouncy in water when ablator is low.

49 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

Kerballo 9

9P3qabN.png

New reflective CM, lookin' EPIC. 

PS: @CobaltWolfthe red CM nose/chute mount/heatshield is kinda pointless since its for the boiler plate. 

Firstly, the boilerplate texture is mainly intended to just be a cool paint variant for the CM since I always liked the style. Technically, that type of boilerplate was never even flown on a Saturn, it was dropped from a helicopter (iirc). The boiler plates that flown on Saturn I were painted white.

Secondly, when you do Saturn I boilerplates you will likely need to construct the full Apollo (heat shield and all). This is because the boilerplate CM’s weighed around the same as the actual CM. While they weren’t proper CM’s and often had ballast to increase the weight, we don’t have any plans to add in any proper boilerplate specific parts for the CM (there will be a boilerplate SM for Pegasus) so the boilerplate stuff *does* include heat shields and such.

12 hours ago, Hay said:

Have you tried retracting the ring?

No, but I'll try that.

11 hours ago, Zorg said:

Added a variant to the Skylab/S4B fairing without the wallbase for a shorter minimum length (still adjustable via wall segments). This option is only available on the fairing base itself not the airlock modules.

unknown.png?width=970&height=782

the ring is to be kept extended for intial "soft docking" to make contact and align. Once soft docked and the petals are interlocked, retract the ring on the active version to hard dock. If this doesnt work its probably due to the rescale.

Ok, thanks guys!

19 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

How do you get that sweet lookin reflective CM? Also I asked earlier but it got buried, I want to switch out the IVAs for Mercury and Apollo with the ones from FASA, how would I go about doing that?

There is now an official compatibility config and textures as of today (courtesy of Truthful Gnome) . Just install Textures Unlimited and update BDB.

All white painted ones look metallic currently but a fix is incoming.