[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

3 hours ago, lancisman said:

I used to have it so the folder is empty

The patches just check if there's a folder called "RemoteTech" in your install; so even if it's empty it will delete the stock antenna modules and attempt to replace them with the RemoteTech ones.

Some progress on the dual engine S-IVB mount.

FDPNTkpXMAcyrKT?format=png&name=small
FDPNWnKWUAImN-r?format=png&name=small

Edited by CobaltWolf

14 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

The patches just check if there's a folder called "RemoteTech" in your install; so even if it's empty it will delete the stock antenna modules and attempt to replace them with the RemoteTech ones.

Some progress on the dual engine S-IVB mount.

FDPNTkpXMAcyrKT?format=png&name=small
FDPNWnKWUAImN-r?format=png&name=small

Do you really need the vernier motor if you have 2 engines? Or is that the pressure relief system?

Edited by GoldForest

11 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

Almost finished updating the textures for Peacekeeper/Athena II/Minotaur IV/V to a more current standard of BDB 

screenshot18.png
original
screenshot20.png
new

screenshot21.png

screenshot24.png
screenshot34.png

screenshot38.png
screenshot48.png

lol yesterday I thought ''these textures look a bit old, but I don't think that they will be redone''

19 hours ago, JustDark said:

Will the mod be getting a SOFI texture for the Saturn Multibody first stage?

19 hours ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

Plus I think there’s going to be a Atlas-V like anodized coating. Not sure though. 

SOFI coatings for the hydrolox stages + the S-1E, as well as an Atlas-V coppery texture for the S-1E. Variant textures are usually just "one of the team was bored that night and felt like it", so they're added whenever one of us gets around to them.

14 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

I'm finding it kinda difficult to get a CSM/Saturn IB combo into orbit on KSRSS 2.5x. I'm trying Mechjeb launches using PVG but nothing is working.

I feel like we're in 2016 again :) It's always been marginal - are you using the orbital config for the SM? You can also remove most of the ablator which takes off a lot of mass. Might be worth making that a B9 actually, so it's more apparent / we can balance more directly.

14 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I don’t mean to sound impatient or whatever, but I’m wondering if those service module texture variants that were teased the other day have hit GitHub yet. No worries if they aren’t ready yet, I’m just wondering.

11 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

Not yet. Will be figuring this out sometime over the next few days.

To elaborate - we're looking into how to combine the variant textures onto a smaller number of sheets. We used a similar trick for the Mercury variants - the white and orange are on a single sheet. Believe it or not, we DO try to be somewhat RAM conscious, especially with these variant textures.

7 hours ago, derega16 said:

Something I'm quite confusing, what's the diameter of Saturn C-3? some versions I found use a tankage sized somewhere between Saturn I and V. But in some drawing I found use what looks like a very stubby S-IC (wider than its tall) diameter first stage.

7 hours ago, Zorg said:

Should be 5m in game. I would suggest Restock (MH or RS plus) or NFLV 5m first stage tankage with the 5m to 4.25m adapter.

I think C-3 is one of those ones that was really just a notional set of numbers. "Ok we have two F-1s, so the first stage should have about this much fuel mass to be optimal...", etc up the stack. You can get a lot of different configurations like that.

As for C-3 in BDB... well, it would be cool "some day", but in the meantime it's just another set of parts for another diameter that we'd have to flesh out, add adapters, decouplers, fairings, etc. So not something I'm in a rush to add.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Do you really need the vernier motor if you have 2 engines? Or is that the pressure relief system?

It's the O2/H2 Burner (which was used to heat the helium system for pressurization); it would only be used on flights where the J-2 restarts, which, to be fair, I don't think the S-IVC in Eyes did. But I was just ripping the greebles off the base single node model and jamming them on.

1 hour ago, Starhelperdude said:

lol yesterday I thought ''these textures look a bit old, but I don't think that they will be redone''

Maybe we'll see these parts get used more? Always thought they were cool... but then again, I'm sitting at a desk with two Athena posters behind me :)

Edited by CobaltWolf

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I feel like we're in 2016 again :) It's always been marginal - are you using the orbital config for the SM? You can also remove most of the ablator which takes off a lot of mass. Might be worth making that a B9 actually, so it's more apparent / we can balance more directly.

I'm tryin all of this it still won't get into orbit. 

Okay so I can do it, but I have to remove the ullage motors, since the PVG freaks out when they ignite and flip the stage 180 degrees. Dunno how to make it not do that though.

Edited by TaintedLion

39 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

I'm tryin all of this it still won't get into orbit. 

Okay so I can do it, but I have to remove the ullage motors, since the PVG freaks out when they ignite and flip the stage 180 degrees. Dunno how to make it not do that though.

Take a picture of what your PVG screen looks like before launch. I am able to run it perfectly fine with PVG.

21 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

screenshot34.png

First off , love the subtle (and not so subtle) changes to the textures InvaderChaos!   As a guy who pushed and prodded for this I am very happy to see the update.    But I have to ask, did you turn an Aussie probe into a Kinetic Energy Impact testprobe?

I use to love the old Titan I "warhead" and use it as an impact probe.  Scaled down some stock air-brakes to help slow it SLIGHTLY (If impact happens between the physics "frames"... something easy to do above Mach 1.5 it does not matter how strong the part is... it just ceases to exist.)   Used several of DMagic's science tests on that probe. 

32 minutes ago, TaintedLion said:

4b8WMRX.png

Okay here's mine. Ignore the Apoapsis and periapsis values. I was doing something different, I usually launch into a 100km LEO orbit. Your issue probably is the booster pitch rate, dunno why but some BDB rockets are just finicky. I am also in 2.5x KSRSS.

jCZWkAC.png

2 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

Okay here's mine. Ignore the Apoapsis and periapsis values. I was doing something different, I usually launch into a 100km LEO orbit. Your issue probably is the booster pitch rate, dunno why but some BDB rockets are just finicky. I am also in 2.5x KSRSS.

I mean I just launched using my values now, it worked just fine. I use a lower pitch rate so that the S-IVB can start burning at a higher altitude.

13 hours ago, Kuiper_Belt said:

The quality of work you guys have done in this revamp is simply stunning!

VUcnyyh.jpg

Thank you for all the love and passion you put into this wonderful mod! :D 

I would like to enthusiastically second this motion. It has always amazed me the amount of work, the astounding attention to detail, and the level of passion that the whole dev team puts into this project. And for something  that you don’t get paid for! BDB and mods like it greatly ramps up the “immersion factor” of KSP and makes the sim much more enjoyable to play. I actually watched Neil and Buzz walk on the moon in 1969 and I have been fascinated with space travel ever since. BDB allows me to play out that boyhood desire to fly to the moon with them. Thank you all for everything that you do. People like me appreciate it more than you know. 

16 hours ago, Kuiper_Belt said:

The quality of work you guys have done in this revamp is simply stunning!

Thank you for all the love and passion you put into this wonderful mod! :D

2 hours ago, DaveyJ576 said:

I would like to enthusiastically second this motion. It has always amazed me the amount of work, the astounding attention to detail, and the level of passion that the whole dev team puts into this project. And for something  that you don’t get paid for! BDB and mods like it greatly ramps up the “immersion factor” of KSP and makes the sim much more enjoyable to play. I actually watched Neil and Buzz walk on the moon in 1969 and I have been fascinated with space travel ever since. BDB allows me to play out that boyhood desire to fly to the moon with them. Thank you all for everything that you do. People like me appreciate it more than you know. 

Thank you both. It genuinely does keep motivation up haha

4 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Anybody got a link to that website with the modern Saturn V rockets?

The what now?

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

The what now?

I think he's talking about ETS's Saturn V (II). IIRC it was Robert Zubrin's proposal for Mars Direct in the timeline. Imagine a Saturn Multibody with 5 core stages synchronized together, a modernized S-II and a S-IVC to launch the hab and ERV. 

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

Thank you both. It genuinely does keep motivation up haha

The what now?

12 minutes ago, zakkpaz said:

3 minutes ago, davidy12 said:

I think he's talking about ETS's Saturn V (II). IIRC it was Robert Zubrin's proposal for Mars Direct in the timeline. Imagine a Saturn Multibody with 5 core stages synchronized together, a modernized S-II and a S-IVC to launch the hab and ERV. 

No, not ETS. It was a rocket that used Saturn hardware or something. It was proposed as a replacement for the shuttle, along with NLS and those ones. Ergh, it's like sls but with F-1Bs and J-2Xs.