[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, TaintedLion said:

Does anyone have a good design for an LRV that can be put in the J-type LEM compartment?

I’ve made a couple from before the new LM was available, and I’m working on another one to bring on my upcoming J-class landings, but haven’t tested the latter in flight yet. 

It’s not that hard to make if you can use robotics for the front and rear hinges, although I used the SOCK Canadarm elbow joints in my latest iteration because they were smaller than the stock hinges. I’ll be sure to post some pictures when I finally land one on the Moon.

16 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I’ve made a couple from before the new LM was available, and I’m working on another one to bring on my upcoming J-class landings, but haven’t tested the latter in flight yet. 

It’s not that hard to make if you can use robotics for the front and rear hinges, although I used the SOCK Canadarm elbow joints in my latest iteration because they were smaller than the stock hinges. I’ll be sure to post some pictures when I finally land one on the Moon.

Don't forget the brakes or a way to stop your rover from rolling away. Otherwise it might end up in a ditch like mine did....

.... and by ditch, I mean big flippin crater.

7PXIvnF.jpg

iGdUxqS.jpg

After a bit of research on the Titan IIIB, I've noticed that the texture of the Titan IIIB Agena adapter is a bit off, so if it's not too much to ask, I was wondering if it could be updated?

An image of what I'm talking about:

Screenshot2021111618.png

43 minutes ago, KeaKaka said:

After a bit of research on the Titan IIIB, I've noticed that the texture of the Titan IIIB Agena adapter is a bit off, so if it's not too much to ask, I was wondering if it could be updated?

(snip)

I don't think that's Agena. I think that's Gambit's adapter. It's such a small detail though, might not be worth it.  Also, I'm only seeing it in like 2 photos out of a dozen that I can find. And they all show the same angle, so we can't see what's on the back side, which makes it kind of hard to judge how the actual texture looks. 

kh-82.jpg

Edited by GoldForest

1 hour ago, KeaKaka said:

Screenshot2021111618.png

Honestly I can't make out much of what you're refering to here. Everything I see in this pic is in game and accurate. There's the KH8-Agena conical adapter, and then theres a new structural part that was just added that would go in between the KH8/Agena Adapter and the Titan 2/3 Second Stage (without the titan 3 extension as a toggleable raceway is built into the new structural adapter)

58 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Honestly I can't make out much of what you're refering to here. Everything I see in this pic is in game and accurate. There's the KH8-Agena conical adapter, and then theres a new structural part that was just added that would go in between the KH8/Agena Adapter and the Titan 2/3 Second Stage (without the titan 3 extension as a toggleable raceway is built into the new structural adapter)

I think they're talking about the second race stripe. The current adapter has one on each side, while Gambit's had two on the same side, and what I'm assuming is a bare back side. You can see it more clearly in the picture I posted. 

Edited by GoldForest

On 11/14/2021 at 9:32 AM, Cdodders said:

From what I could tell, they tried to make it out that the Shuttle refuelled at Skylab. So they tried to make it work and ended up with more issues

Yeah, like the fact that Columbia only had a few hundred m/s worth of delta v total.

On 11/15/2021 at 6:20 AM, Starhelperdude said:

I think he means that S-IVB would be replaced by shuttle, with S-IC and S-II still beeing used on the rocket

But, why? The S-IC and S-II can almost put the entire orbiter into orbit without needing the SSMEs at all.  It's only 3 tons heavier than Skylab was. If you strip the SSMEs out and all of their support hardware you end up with a spacecraft that is 6-7 tons lighter than Skylab. Reduce the mount of wing a bit because the spacecraft is now lighter(and it get's lighter yet) and you start to get a useful payload again.

28 minutes ago, birdog357 said:

But, why? The S-IC and S-II can almost put the entire orbiter into orbit without needing the SSMEs at all.  It's only 3 tons heavier than Skylab was. If you strip the SSMEs out and all of their support hardware you end up with a spacecraft that is 6-7 tons lighter than Skylab. Reduce the mount of wing a bit because the spacecraft is now lighter(and it get's lighter yet) and you start to get a useful payload again.

the COM would be offset

Edited by Galileo chiu

7 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

6 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I don't think that's Agena. I think that's Gambit's adapter. It's such a small detail though, might not be worth it.  Also, I'm only seeing it in like 2 photos out of a dozen that I can find. And they all show the same angle, so we can't see what's on the back side, which makes it kind of hard to judge how the actual texture looks.

5 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I think they're talking about the second race stripe. The current adapter has one on each side, while Gambit's had two on the same side, and what I'm assuming is a bare back side. You can see it more clearly in the picture I posted. 

I'm not sure there's much we can do about it. Paint patterns like that are more a function of how the model was unwrapped for textures, rather than the texture themselves. I don't think the part was unwrapped in such a way to make an asymmetric pattern possible.

@CobaltWolf, @Invaderchaos, @Zorg, So, I have a few questions concerning the Saturn I and IB.

I found a passage in chapter three of Roger Bilstein's Stages to Saturn in which he describes the process of modifying the S-I stage during the leadup to building the new S-IB. He stated that an aggressive program of weight reduction succeeded in reducing the overall weight of the stage by an astounding 9000 kg, or in U.S. terms nearly 10 tons! A portion of that came from the lighter fins, but the rest came from "modifications to the propellent tanks, spider beam and other components, and removal of various tubes and brackets no longer required."  When combined with the uprating of the H-1 engines to first 200,00 and then to 205,000 lbs of thrust the new Saturn IB gained a substantial performance upgrade from its predecessor.

I took a look at the BDB S-I stage and found that a fully outfitted S-IB version comes out to be only 80 lbs lighter than the S-I, and that is entirely due to changing the fins. Was this the intended situation by the dev team? Was this the result of the balancing that needed to take place to give the models semi-realistic performance? If not, is it possible to get a B9 switch for the lighter S-IB version, or perhaps a whole new version?

Also, is there a config somewhere that will give us an all white S-IB stage similar to what was flown on the Skylab and ASTP missions?

Even if you change nothing it is still a fantastic rendering.

Thank you.

Edited by DaveyJ576
Added names

34 minutes ago, KnedlikMCPE said:

Hey guys, I know I saw an answer to this here, but that was already some time ago, what multiplier does BDB use to get it’s KSP size? 

Target is 60% of IRL dimensions. However, in most cases it may be slightly more or slightly less, in order to fit into existing diameter chart.

44 minutes ago, KnedlikMCPE said:

Hey guys, I know I saw an answer to this here, but that was already some time ago, what multiplier does BDB use to get it’s KSP size? 

31 minutes ago, braxfortex said:

Real life dimensions are divided by 1.6

21 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

wasn't it x 0.625?

8 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

Target is 60% of IRL dimensions. However, in most cases it may be slightly more or slightly less, in order to fit into existing diameter chart.

8 minutes ago, TheShadow1138 said:

It's the same, dividing by 1.6 is the same as multiplying by 0.625.

1/1.6 = 0.625

Iirc, 64% the real world size then rounded to the nearest ksp size for dimensions, and then thrust is 50% real world thrust, in regards to engines.

Ksp size being whole number times 0.625. 

But @CobaltWolf and @Zorg can you guys clarify when you can?

Edited by GoldForest