[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

would it be possible that the micrometeorite shield on the skylab wetlab OWS could act as an insulation, like on centaur-D?

I'm currently building a lunar wetlab skylab and I'm worried about the boiloff (I don't wan't to deactivate it, I want to find an in-universe-solution for it)

On 8/9/2021 at 3:21 PM, Zorg said:

screen_2560x1440_2021-08-09_19-14-49.png?width=1500&height=844

Some of the smaller skylab components textured and ready :) 

top left:  S192 Multispectral scanner, S193 Microwave radiometer/altimeter

middle: radial attachment port in 3 colours, RCS, ATM antenna, solar radio burst antenna, S191 IR spectrometer, S194 L barnd radiometer and proton spectrometer

bottom: discone antenna

screen_2560x1440_2021-08-09_20-47-11.png?width=1373&height=844

screen_2560x1440_2021-08-09_20-47-55.png?width=1500&height=844

screen_2560x1440_2021-08-09_16-48-47.png?width=1500&height=844

Are there any images of where the Skylab science experiments go, or a guide?

18 hours ago, Beccab said:

Would it be feasible do add partial insulation to the J2s of the S-II stage? It looks like they had it on top of the fire wall, at least on this pic of the Apollo 13 S-II
S-II%20heatshield2.jpg

Also, @CobaltWolf is there any plan to change the J-2 variants into part switch like on RL-10? Atleast on non deployable one

Edited by derega16

1 hour ago, derega16 said:

Also, @CobaltWolf is there any plan to change the J-2 variants into part switch like on RL-10? Atleast on non deployable one

I don't think so. The RL-10 variants are just statistic changes linked to a model change. If done on the J2 you would also have to incorporate animation modules. 

IIRC some of those J2 variants such as the HG3 plainly aren't real.

2 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

I don't think so. The RL-10 variants are just statistic changes linked to a model change. If done on the J2 you would also have to incorporate animation modules. 

I meant J-2 and J-2S and their SL versions

2 hours ago, SpaceFace545 said:

We dont have an HG3 variant. Perhaps there was once something by Pappystein in Extras but if there was hes removed that too.

3 hours ago, derega16 said:

The non deployable ones certainly could be. They were made around the time we were just getting the hang of b9 module switching and hadnt fully committed to it for everything I guess. It would be a craft breaking change unnecessarily though. On the other hand the Saturn update is a breaking change anyway since many of the new Saturn parts use the same Part Names as the old ones. 

8 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

Are there any images of where the Skylab science experiments go, or a guide?

The screenshots from Starhelperdude are correct. For anything else you can keep an eye on this:

https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/issues/60

Keep in mind these are still WIP and will be completed and added to the main wiki once released.

Just a couple Atlas V 401 shots (VAFB)

za1FnKR.png

vzdTDSK.png

guZrIve.png

Speaking of Atlas V - BDB guys, can you please do a non-ribbed, Saturn-esque texture (all white, or checkered black and white) for 4xx Centaur adapter? It is ideal for S-V Centaur (same angle as S-IV top tank), but ribs are quite non-Saturn-esque. Sorry if it was asked before.

14 hours ago, derega16 said:

10 hours ago, derega16 said:

I meant J-2 and J-2S and their SL versions

10 hours ago, Zorg said:

We dont have an HG3 variant. Perhaps there was once something by Pappystein in Extras but if there was hes removed that too.

The non deployable ones certainly could be. They were made around the time we were just getting the hang of b9 module switching and hadnt fully committed to it for everything I guess. It would be a craft breaking change unnecessarily though. On the other hand the Saturn update is a breaking change anyway since many of the new Saturn parts use the same Part Names as the old ones.

Yeah I think I made those back when B9 wasn't as capable I think. We could try and combine the non-extending ones. It would be a lot of work to go back and do it though. Feel free to chime in if y'all would prefer we did that. I'm never sure whether players find the B9 variants useful, or confusing for hiding parts.

4 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

It seems the upper attachment node of the AARDV 0.625m adapter is too high, there is a tiny gap between it and the docking port (the same with the active port):

Thanks, I'll fix that.

2 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Just a couple Atlas V 401 shots (VAFB)

Speaking of Atlas V - BDB guys, can you please do a non-ribbed, Saturn-esque texture (all white, or checkered black and white) for 4xx Centaur adapter? It is ideal for S-V Centaur (same angle as S-IV top tank), but ribs are quite non-Saturn-esque. Sorry if it was asked before.

I think the goal is to have one of us touch up all those parts at some point, and hopefully the adapter's texture will fit nicer then. It's definitely from another time, stylistically.

31 minutes ago, Jacktical said:

Would we be able to get a white variant of the  SIVB Instrument Unit?

Yes, a proper Skylab S-1B scheme is on the to-do.

We're actually mostly through the Saturn/Apollo revamp, so if people have QoL feedback like these please keep it coming. It's time to start getting things polished :)

Speaking of which - wide SLA variant. Question: Would people just want this as part switches on the current SLA parts? I think I can do it no problem.

QlwL1Nh.png

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

I'm never sure whether players find the B9 variants useful, or confusing for hiding parts.

For me, the answer is it's equally both. But, the pros outweigh the cons.

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

if people have QoL feedback like these please keep it coming.

Maybe all-white/all-black variants of the radial engine shown below? It's currently called the "Bossart-IE-101 "Crow" Radial Engine" but that sounds distinctly borrowed...

Spoiler

kQmQUOE.png

Just now, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Maybe all-white/all-black variants of the radial engine shown below? It's currently called the "Bossart-IE-101 "Crow" Radial Engine" but that sounds distinctly borrowed...

I'll have to see. Since it's half white/half black in the texture, I worry that mirroring it would cause a black line to appear when you zoom out due to the mipmapping.

15 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Feel free to chime in if y'all would prefer we did that. I'm never sure whether players find the B9 variants useful, or confusing for hiding parts.

Personally I find it great for similar variants of an engine (all the various RL-10 upgrades and nozzle size changes/extensions, for instance) but confusing for particular variants, like the sea level RL-10 which is much smaller and would be useful for small landers if I didn't forget it existed due to the fact it doesn't appear when sorting by size. For the J2, the normal one and J2-S could definitely go together, but sea level or aerospike not so much

15 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

We're actually mostly through the Saturn/Apollo revamp, so if people have QoL feedback like these please keep it coming. It's time to start getting things polished

Generally, all white/mostly white textures of the interstages would be great since the black and white pattern is very unique to the Saturn series, but I assume for many of these there isn't enough texture space. Completely uninformed question, would making a SOFI SIVB but with the upper part of the 200 series take texture space or is B9 advanced enough to just take that section from the 200 series one?

Edited by Beccab

25 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

We're actually mostly through the Saturn/Apollo revamp, so if people have QoL feedback like these please keep it coming. It's time to start getting things polished :)

Would it be possible to make a 1.25m version of the 2.5m>0.9375m AARDV Block 1 adapter, for use with the new CADS port?

16 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

But, the pros outweigh the cons.

Absolutely, for example: In case of the Delta-family the part switch is a real blessing to quickly change between LV-Variants / Generations.

Even if the part switches can´t be used to make every single variant into only one "parent-part" i think that 3 or 4 parts are still more convenient than 7 or 8.

And i can see that this revamp is close to be done and i am in fact using BDB in it´s Dev-Version in a german languaged LP / twitch series. Just because this mod is the best one out there in my eyes and it just doesn´t stop to get even greater.

Just a little idea for people using ModularLaunchPads for their Saturn parts, maybe include a patch in the Extras folder that rescales the new parts to the same sizes as the old ones? Even if MLP gets revamped-size clamps and things up, I think the older sizes could still have a use primarily due to 3.75m being a much more common size for parts, which would make them a lot more kitbashable.

33 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

Would it be possible to make a 1.25m version of the 2.5m>0.9375m AARDV Block 1 adapter, for use with the new CADS port?

I wonder how easily I can bash that out of the Block IV MM...

22 minutes ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

Just a little idea for people using ModularLaunchPads for their Saturn parts, maybe include a patch in the Extras folder that rescales the new parts to the same sizes as the old ones? Even if MLP gets revamped-size clamps and things up, I think the older sizes could still have a use primarily due to 3.75m being a much more common size for parts, which would make them a lot more kitbashable.

I'm just going to say probably not - none of us are really interested in maintaining two separate sets of parts in that way.

37 minutes ago, The Dressian Exploder said:

MLP is already compatible with the new saturn parts, and all umbilicals are scaled for both old and new BDB Saturn, and pad cutouts have been scaled for new Saturn size for a while.

22 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

would it be possible that the micrometeorite shield on the skylab wetlab OWS could act as an insulation, like on centaur-D?

I'm currently building a lunar wetlab skylab and I'm worried about the boiloff (I don't wan't to deactivate it, I want to find an in-universe-solution for it)

I mean... if you're building a wetlab, just keep the thermal heatshield on and fling it to the Moon immediately.