[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

13 minutes ago, Jcking said:

Nope. (Though I wonder where the C-8 term came from because no document that displays what has been termed C-8 ever mentions it as C-8, it is only called the all liquid chemical NOVA vehicle and both the NOVA direct ascent and Post-Saturn NOVA programs were separate from the work going on with Saturn).

There are some old documents that do reference the C-8... But they are all well past the Saturn V Preliminary design.    Prior to the LOR being chosen they were ABMA's NOVA concept with 8 F-1 engines in the first stage.    One of MANY MANY MANY NOVA rockets.    NOVA deserves it's own mod.   It is not a Saturn derivative and honestly MOST of the NOVA rockets were impossible to build then and are still impossible to build today!   It is the same reason NASA still likes segmented SRMs... Monolithic SRMs are just too hard to move arround at the cape (let alone GET to the cape!)

I really REEAALLYY need to create a document and post it on my Github that states, NOVA deserves it's own mod.  It is NOT in any way related to Saturn with the exception that SOME of the NOVA rockets were meant to interface with the Apollo lunar payload for stupid reasons.

Just now, Starhelperdude said:

Reject Terrible Proposal C-8

Embrace Wonderful Fictional Saturn ULV

unknown.png

QUAD AJ-260s on a MLV Saturn WAS an actual proposal :D   But it is as cursed as the fictional C-8 *see above*

Edited by Pappystein

Interlude to Apollo 16: Orbital Launches of 1972:

5gDh4S2.png

For all the publicity that accompanies a Saturn launch, 1972 was a very big year for spaceflight in general. The first mission to the outer planets was launched, Delta 1000 arrived on the scene, and astronomers gained another valuable tool in the form of a new space telescope. I really do enjoy these smaller launches, even if I don't need the science or funds they produce at this point, and I've got to showcase them somewhere.'

OAO-3 "Copernicus" on Atlas-Centaur, performing celestial observation and astronomy from a near-Earth heliocentric orbit:

h2XpLiy.png

cc8Otnu.png

XqQAdWa.png

Jumpseat 2 [Approximation] on Titan 33B to perform [REDACTED} from an elliptical polar orbit:

czkcVRp.png

gy6XJG7.png

QNPXObZ.png

Nimbus 5 on Delta 900, performing detailed atmospheric and weather observation:

lNoAAz3.png

QIXT535.png

PO71jma.png

aE96wsB.png

gIDMXH3.png

Intelsat-4 1, on Atlas-Centaur, providing civilian communications networks from geosynchronous orbit:

r63TX8v.png

d9lpqW2.png

02LL7Ew.png

yKgcf0F.png

[REDACTED on Titan IIID, performing {REDACTED] from a sun-synchronous orbit:

uttRasn.png

gevVwk6.png

h21kHnM.png

7kffkXS.png

Pioneer 10 on Atlas-Centaur, set to become the first spacecraft to visit Jupiter and escape the solar system:

qAg48fD.png

lnPi4YC.png

LDK2d7W.png

xeowXN2.png

Will post updates upon reaching Jovian system.

JunkSat 1 on Delta 1910, a [fictional] commercial satellite constructed to study the polar regions of Earth's magnetic field:

As an aside, the next time someone does touch-up work on Thor-Delta, could you guys consider a texture switch for the intertank structure as well? While it stayed white on most Delta II launches, virtually all of the photos I can find from the Delta 1000 era until Delta II was introduced shows it being the same color as the rest of the first stage. I've emulated it with a conformal decal as you can see below but it's not an ideal solution.

4NaH6pj.png

LR6RVEX.png

1XvNv4X.png

wwTHhU9.png

eLHc0oR.png

5V5AAnp.png

3QQdroW.png

Bok1uZu.png

Also @Invaderchaos, standardized satellite busses when?

HS 393A: New Domsat A-Building at SCG—The SCG Journal November 1983  transcribed by Faith MacPherson | Our Space Heritage 1960-2000

Just now, pTrevTrevs said:

Interlude to Apollo 16: Orbital Launches of 1972:

5gDh4S2.png

For all the publicity that accompanies a Saturn launch, 1972 was a very big year for spaceflight in general. The first mission to the outer planets was launched, Delta 1000 arrived on the scene, and astronomers gained another valuable tool in the form of a new space telescope. I really do enjoy these smaller launches, even if I don't need the science or funds they produce at this point, and I've got to showcase them somewhere.'

OAO-3 "Copernicus" on Atlas-Centaur, performing celestial observation and astronomy from a near-Earth heliocentric orbit:

Jumpseat 2 [Approximation] on Titan 33B to perform [REDACTED} from an elliptical polar orbit:

Nimbus 5 on Delta 900, performing detailed atmospheric and weather observation:

Intelsat-4 1, on Atlas-Centaur, providing civilian communications networks from geosynchronous orbit:

[REDACTED on Titan IIID, performing {REDACTED] from a sun-synchronous orbit:

Pioneer 10 on Atlas-Centaur, set to become the first spacecraft to visit Jupiter and escape the solar system:

JunkSat 1 on Delta 1910, a [fictional] commercial satellite constructed to study the polar regions of Earth's magnetic field:

As an aside, the next time someone does touch-up work on Thor-Delta, could you guys consider a texture switch for the intertank structure as well? While it stayed white on most Delta II launches, virtually all of the photos I can find from the Delta 1000 era until Delta II was introduced shows it being the same color as the rest of the first stage. I've emulated it with a conformal decal as you can see below but it's not an ideal solution.

HS 393A: New Domsat A-Building at SCG—The SCG Journal November 1983  transcribed by Faith MacPherson | Our Space Heritage 1960-2000

looking through your beautifully handcrafted screenshots while mentally preparing myself to show my build of the quad AJ-260 MLV is weird

Just now, Starhelperdude said:

looking through your beautifully handcrafted screenshots while mentally preparing myself to show my build of the quad AJ-260 MLV is weird

Ah well, it's nothing but smoke and mirrors. Clever use of MMB to shift the camera, FOV narrowing, and other people's TUFX configs; nothing that other people haven't already figured out before me.

Just now, Aussie Toad Stool said:

With the Apollo revamp the CADS docking system changes form 0.975m to 1.25m. Is there a way to change the scale back to 0.975m, as it aligns better with the other major parts mods? eg: Habtech2, Tantares, Knes, SOCK, reDirect?

use the APAS port from habtech, it now fits in the 0.9375m docking port role, and IIRC it's included in bdb

3 hours ago, Zorg said:

Yeah we dont have a 3.75m fairing. I've been meaning to look into scaling up the 3.125m ones.

That would be great, the SAF fairings are just so much better than even the Restock ones that it always pains me to not be able to use them. 

2 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

One day I'm sure. But not today. Love those screenshots!!

Anyways I'm partially back from my modding hiatus. Working on the Apollo SM Boilerplate (which in some missions housed Pegasus, which is also being worked on) and the S4-Apollo Adapter for Boilerplate missions. Here's SA-6:
screenshot241.png
screenshot242.png
screenshot245.png
screenshot246.png
screenshot249.png

Edited by Invaderchaos

On 1/17/2022 at 5:55 AM, Saltshaker said:

While everyone's on the subject of Saturn fairings, could we get a SAF switch to 2 cylindrical sections for the S4B base? The current Skylab (3-seg) and Short (1-seg) options don't allow something in-between.

Just added this in. All the options are available on the Skylab parts as well, including the widebody fairing now for you weirdos.

Edited by Zorg

I've also made some wetlab balance adjustments, be interested to know what people think. Should be possible to get a stripped down skylab into a 120x120, 90 deg orbit in JNSQ now .

Also the standard wetlab is now the lightweight version and the VFB one with the wider shield is now a bit heavier.

Its worth noting that the punishing mass budget was a big part of what led to this whole thing being dropped and going for Saturn V dry lab . Upgrades to the J2 and using E1s on the first stage would also yield gains.

Edited by Zorg

14 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

One day I'm sure. But not today. Love those screenshots!!

Anyways I'm partially back from my modding hiatus. Working on the Apollo SM Boilerplate (which in some missions housed Pegasus, which is also being worked on) and the S4-Apollo Adapter for Boilerplate missions. Here's SA-6:
screenshot241.png
screenshot242.png
screenshot245.png
screenshot246.png
screenshot249.png

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

pegasus parts too looking forward to that

Edited by TaintedLion

Could the Titan I 1.5m structural adapter be moved to separators? For its original purpose it definitely fits structural, but thanks to the optional separator and all the variants basically every comparable part for kitbashing is in separators which means that one is usually forgotten (at least by me)
unknown.png

Edited by Beccab

22 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Could the Titan I 1.5m structural adapter be moved to separators? For its original purpose it definitely fits structural, but thanks to the optional separator and all the variants basically every comparable part for kitbashing is in separators which means that one is usually forgotten (at least by me)
unknown.png

may I ask what interesting-looking thing you are building here?

6 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

may I ask what interesting-looking thing you are building here?

I'm nearing at the end of recreating all of the Mars related IPP - 50 man space base with artificial gravity, space shuttle of the style in the image below, space tug, S-II sized nuclear shuttle and large orbital propellant depot as well as of course the crewed mars lander, spacecraft and related mars/venus probes
1080_1022_17.jpg?w=3000&h=
The nuclear shuttle launch is incorrect in the slide above btw, it was going to be an inverted launch with the Nerva launched separately on Shuttle from what I understood

1 hour ago, Beccab said:

I'm nearing at the end of recreating all of the Mars related IPP - 50 man space base with artificial gravity, space shuttle of the style in the image below, space tug, S-II sized nuclear shuttle and large orbital propellant depot as well as of course the crewed mars lander, spacecraft and related mars/venus probes
1080_1022_17.jpg?w=3000&h=
The nuclear shuttle launch is incorrect in the slide above btw, it was going to be an inverted launch with the Nerva launched separately on Shuttle from what I understood

Some proposals had the Shuttle launch the Nerva engine like you said, some had the nuclear shuttle launched on a shuttle booster vehicle with expendable second stage, while others were simply just launching the entire partially fueled shuttle onboard INT-21, or a fully fueled shuttles on an uprated Saturn, though I have not read into which one (if any) was the one that was moved forward with.

15 minutes ago, Jcking said:

Some proposals had the Shuttle launch the Nerva engine like you said, some had the nuclear shuttle launched on a shuttle booster vehicle with expendable second stage, while others were simply just launching the entire partially fueled shuttle onboard INT-21, or a fully fueled shuttles on an uprated Saturn, though I have not read into which one (if any) was the one that was moved forward with.

Oh yeah I know, I did my research for this one :) I was referring to the study below, which declared the inverted launch partially fueled as clearly preferred
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/19720009983

While a hybrid engine setup (hosting tanks both on the nuclear shuttle and on the separately launched Nerva) is not considered having benefits over than single tank designs, had it included a radiation resistant RCS it may have been chosen over the single tank, and I just like it more personally

Edited by Beccab

I still need to complete the mars transfer spacecraft and unmanned mars and venus probes, but for when it's done, how would it be better to post it here? It has a lot of operations, being in order:
Starclipper launch+docking, mars lander and spacecraft launch+docking, nuclear shuttle undocking from depot+triple docking, undocking, TMI, side nuclear shuttles staging+return to depot+docking, mars elliptical orbit insertion, 12 unmanned landers/sample return release+reenter+landing+eventual launch+docking, 1 manned lander release+reenter+surface operations+launch+docking, TEI, Venus flyby, 4 probes release+reenter+maybe landing? I haven't looked at whether there was any NASA venus lander in the 70s, low earth orbit insertion, docking for quarantine
I was thinking maybe 3 posts total, but maybe a single big one with a lot of images hidden is better

Edited by Beccab