[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

I’m not 100% sure if this is a BDB problem or a MechJeb problem but for some reason the new Apollo parts do not play well with MechJeb’s auto docking feature at all. For some reason MechJeb calculates a bounding box for the CSM that is massively too big which makes MechJeb never finish the “back away to a safe distance” phase and start docking. It’s not too big of a problem since I can just manually dock but I like being lazy and delegating that job to the computer. 

20 minutes ago, CDSlice said:

I’m not 100% sure if this is a BDB problem or a MechJeb problem but for some reason the new Apollo parts do not play well with MechJeb’s auto docking feature at all. For some reason MechJeb calculates a bounding box for the CSM that is massively too big which makes MechJeb never finish the “back away to a safe distance” phase and start docking. It’s not too big of a problem since I can just manually dock but I like being lazy and delegating that job to the computer. 

Really? They've been working fine for me, the problem you're encountering only occurs a couple times for me.

24 minutes ago, CDSlice said:

If I have to guess, that is because the Apollo chutes for some reason use the deployed size for size calculations.

26 minutes ago, JoeSheridan said:

YES, i like it :D  never thought that this really could happen: Nuclear engines for BDB, thank you :):) Fit´s nicely for some crewed interplanetary missions i plan in a few weeks in my twischt / Let´s Play Playthrew :)

We've already got two...

20 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

Really? They've been working fine for me, the problem you're encountering only occurs a couple times for me.

It could just be a problem with my installation, I’ve already had to reinstall MechJeb once because it was being glitchy. I’ve just never run into this specific problem before so I figured it might be worth reporting to see if anyone else has had it. 

20 hours ago, Jcking said:

It was a vehicle depicted in an in universe ETS proposal

fetch.php?cache=&media=timelines:acv.png

So that’s where that one capsule in Near Future comes from, I always wondered what it was supposed to be based off of. Did ETS base theirs off of a real world proposal or is it completely fictional?

1 hour ago, CDSlice said:

It could just be a problem with my installation, I’ve already had to reinstall MechJeb once because it was being glitchy. I’ve just never run into this specific problem before so I figured it might be worth reporting to see if anyone else has had it. 

So that’s where that one capsule in Near Future comes from, I always wondered what it was supposed to be based off of. Did ETS base theirs off of a real world proposal or is it completely fictional?

While I haven’t asked any of the ETS people, I don’t believe the ACV is copied off of any specific design and I believe seeing Nertea mention that he modeled the capsule off of the ACV.

6 hours ago, Jcking said:

While I haven’t asked any of the ETS people, I don’t believe the ACV is copied off of any specific design and I believe seeing Nertea mention that he modeled the capsule off of the ACV.

It probably a mix between the many biconic proposals of the early 2000s (ESA, Blue Origin...) plus the orbital module of the soyuz-like capsules

6 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

Would the Vela satellite fall under the scope of this mod?

It would be nice to have some more canonical payloads for the Titans... 

vela-9-10_1.jpg

There are no current plans to make Vela, but I mean it’s not a probe that would be “outside of the scope of BDB” but just something there isn’t much of an interest in doing. There isn’t a special urge to make payloads for Titan as we already have a few canonical Titan satellite payloads (IDCSP, Helios (which may be revamped in future), and Clementine). I also feel I have made an over abundance of obscure single part small satellites in recent history, so I probably should take a step back from that for a while :sticktongue:

In other news, Pegasus is just around the corner:

screenshot433.png

screenshot438.png
screenshot437.png

screenshot440.png

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

zDR9dlT.png

pvmmUhp.png

6nSULMp.png

I remember in one of your ALSEP streams you mentioned making props like the gnomon; is that still on the table?

Also, are there any plans to make a special power unit for these parts? I know we already have an RTG in stock Breaking Ground, but it comes super late in the tech tree and unless you bring a really high-XP engineer you’re going to need as many of those as you have experiments, which limits how many stations you can bring with you.

47 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

I remember in one of your ALSEP streams you mentioned making props like the gnomon; is that still on the table?

Also, are there any plans to make a special power unit for these parts? I know we already have an RTG in stock Breaking Ground, but it comes super late in the tech tree and unless you bring a really high-XP engineer you’re going to need as many of those as you have experiments, which limits how many stations you can bring with you.

alternatively if its possible, maybe a MM patch to change the stock RTG's tech tree node and increase the ammount of power it can give, not entirely sure if this would work but its worth a try

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

zDR9dlT.png

pvmmUhp.png

6nSULMp.png

2 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

There are no current plans to make Vela, but I mean it’s not a probe that would be “outside of the scope of BDB” but just something there isn’t much of an interest in doing. There isn’t a special urge to make payloads for Titan as we already have a few canonical Titan satellite payloads (IDCSP, Helios (which may be revamped in future), and Clementine). I also feel I have made an over abundance of obscure single part small satellites in recent history, so I probably should take a step back from that for a while :sticktongue:

In other news, Pegasus is just around the corner:

screenshot433.png

screenshot438.png
screenshot437.png

screenshot440.png

@CobaltWolf, @Invaderchaos, absolutely amazing work. If I sound like I am repeating myself it is because I am running out of superlatives to use. Thank you for all of this. I look forward to using these on my missions. 

4 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

3 hours ago, x170doom said:

alternatively if its possible, maybe a MM patch to change the stock RTG's tech tree node and increase the ammount of power it can give, not entirely sure if this would work but its worth a try

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Probably going to try and MM patch the BG RTG to provide more power units. I also want to add a large deployable solar panel that could support a number of instruments. If need be, we can also change where it appears in the tech tree. If you're using BDB with BG I'd assume you're trying to follow our balancing so I don't think that would be an issue.

I will say, I think I'd like there to be enough experiments, that you can't bring ALL of them on a single trip. You'd either need to do like, cargo landers or multiple missions to the same biome... well, actually I don't think these are biome specific. But you get the idea.

Gnomon and other props are still on the table but I'm not 100% if I'm doing them. I think I'd want there to be more than one prop, I guess.

I wonder if there's something I can add to make it easier to move stuff from the landers to the experiment site. If I could add something like the MET wheelbarrow that would be sick but I know nothing about how this stuff works. Even if it was just fixed in front of the kerbal when equipped and they used their normal walking animation / didn't interact with it really.

EDIT: Something like this for the large panel. And I want to have like, a battery pack / AC converter kinda thing sitting on the ground under it.

XrkiOHJ.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

32 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Probably going to try and MM patch the BG RTG to provide more power units. I also want to add a large deployable solar panel that could support a number of instruments. If need be, we can also change where it appears in the tech tree. If you're using BDB with BG I'd assume you're trying to follow our balancing so I don't think that would be an issue.

I will say, I think I'd like there to be enough experiments, that you can't bring ALL of them on a single trip. You'd either need to do like, cargo landers or multiple missions to the same biome... well, actually I don't think these are biome specific. But you get the idea.

Gnomon and other props are still on the table but I'm not 100% if I'm doing them. I think I'd want there to be more than one prop, I guess.

I wonder if there's something I can add to make it easier to move stuff from the landers to the experiment site. If I could add something like the MET wheelbarrow that would be sick but I know nothing about how this stuff works. Even if it was just fixed in front of the kerbal when equipped and they used their normal walking animation / didn't interact with it really.

A couple other props you could consider might be the tripod television camera, the S-band antenna dish used on H missions (don’t know if J missions also used it but I think not), the solar wind composition experiment (the one that looked like a sail to catch particles and which was returned to Earth), and the Apollo 11 seismic package.

2 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

A couple other props you could consider might be the tripod television camera, the S-band antenna dish used on H missions (don’t know if J missions also used it but I think not), the solar wind composition experiment (the one that looked like a sail to catch particles and which was returned to Earth), and the Apollo 11 seismic package.

Yeah I'm trying to track this all on an issue on Github. The TV camera is a great one - I remember I made one for SEP but never finished it. I'll have to add that to my list. The other ones I all have, in my mental to-do list at least... the EASEP (Apollo 11) stuff is great since I can differentiate it by the lack of power requirements (the only one that needs it would be the seismic experiment, which I can make generate it's own power)

https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues/1178

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

i think the biggest question with this would be can the stock inventory system handle a container within a container. 

6 minutes ago, x170doom said:

i think the biggest question with this would be can the stock inventory system handle a container within a container. 

Yeah. If I remember I HAD something like that for SEP, just like a cardboard box so that you could move several objects at once. If I remember they just couldn't hold anything if they were in storage.