[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

8 hours ago, silvermistshadow said:

Should be the latest, don't know anything about an apollo-saturn revamp. Might be a CKAN error, once I'm done landing on Minmus I'll go ahead and download from the git manually.

Ah yea, the Apollo revamp is on GitHub under the Apollo Branch. Lot of cool Apollo/Saturn/Lunar stuff to play with!

10 minutes ago, blu3wolf said:

Is it easy enough to switch to the Apollo branch for an inprogress game, or will this break stuff? Id expect a little pain for my case, as I installed with CKAN to start with.

As the old apollo parts were removed there definitely could be some issues if you used any of the old Apollo/Saturn parts in your save. Craft files will definitely be broken. I do not recall if all the new parts use the same names as their previous counterparts, but if they don’t that will lead to any active spacecraft w/ missing old Apollo/Saturn parts to disappear. But if you can handle that and old craft files not working, I don’t think there would be any other issues. Despite this, the new parts are pretty awesome, and I really recommend trying them out.

Edited by Invaderchaos

11 minutes ago, blu3wolf said:

Is it easy enough to switch to the Apollo branch for an inprogress game, or will this break stuff? Id expect a little pain for my case, as I installed with CKAN to start with.

It is likely to break a lot of craft especially if you have craft using Saturn parts many of which have been straight up replaced directly.

hmm. Maybe Ill make a backup of my current install before trying that. As it stands Ive only build a few rockets using the Saturn parts, due to their great expense and my low operating funds. Thanks for the advice!

If the only issue is due to the missing parts, I am likely safe as there are no currently flying craft using the saturn parts I think.

Edit: would switching to this Apollo branch also yield the Agena changes? I have a LOT of craft currently active using Agena-D parts. Its my go-to satellite bus for the moment.

Edited by blu3wolf

10 minutes ago, blu3wolf said:

hmm. Maybe Ill make a backup of my current install before trying that. As it stands Ive only build a few rockets using the Saturn parts, due to their great expense and my low operating funds. Thanks for the advice!

If the only issue is due to the missing parts, I am likely safe as there are no currently flying craft using the saturn parts I think.

Edit: would switching to this Apollo branch also yield the Agena changes? I have a LOT of craft currently active using Agena-D parts. Its my go-to satellite bus for the moment.

yes however it shouldn't cause issues with any flying vessels, as the new features are b9ps texture switches and some new parts. none of the parts have been replaced/renamed to my knowlege which means you should be okay. maybe back up your save first though just to be safe

Edited by x170doom

5 hours ago, x170doom said:

yes however it shouldn't cause issues with any flying vessels, as the new features are b9ps texture switches and some new parts. none of the parts have been replaced/renamed to my knowlege which means you should be okay. maybe back up your save first though just to be safe

6 hours ago, blu3wolf said:

Several parts in the saturn family (and maybe apollo) have new parts using the same part names as the old ones. Meaning plenty of crafts can break including vessels in flight if they use those same parts. Some parts might have disappeared entirely.

All new skylab parts use new names and old parts are currently soft deprecated in an old parts folder to be deleted at a later date. But Apollo and Saturn stuff in the dev branch should be considered save breaking (in the sense that craft could be messed up or deleted).

So long as nothing in flight uses old saturn or apollo parts you might be good to go but we dont make any guarantees on this front. The dev branch is all beta stuff so its at your own risk and you should make a backup save before you do so.

8 hours ago, blu3wolf said:

Im 98% sure Agena parts should be fine. All I have done is a couple slight texture changes, a part addition, and adding a variant to the avionics and tank.  These are pretty small changes that shouldn't effect existing craft or craft files.

7 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@CobaltWolf @Zorg @Invaderchaos Hey, I just noticed that the Saturn S-IVA engine mount doesn't have a SA-5 texture switch. Is it supposed to have only SA-6 texture or was the SA-5 texture switch not added to the config? 

I'm pretty sure I added one at the beginning of yesterday. Is it not working or do you just not have the latest version?

56 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Im 98% sure Agena parts should be fine. All I have done is a couple slight texture changes, a part addition, and adding a variant to the avionics and tank.  These are pretty small changes that shouldn't effect existing craft or craft files.

I'm pretty sure I added one at the beginning of yesterday. Is it not working or do you just not have the latest version?

Ah, didn't see that you had updated the textures. Will download and see if it's fixed.

19 hours ago, silvermistshadow said:

Should be the latest, don't know anything about an apollo-saturn revamp. Might be a CKAN error, once I'm done landing on Minmus I'll go ahead and download from the git manually.

If you're using the release and not dev branch (if you don't know what we mean, then you're using the release) then there's no rover-capable version of the descent stage.

12 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

All's good now, thanks. I was on a previous update. One from the 15th.

Edited by GoldForest

There is now a Apollo CM Boilerplate part for Saturn 1 missions. Better that then sending a shiny expensive Block II CSM up on a test mission!!!! (EDIT: Some texture fixes are likely to come tomorrow)

screenshot505.png
screenshot501.png
screenshot503.png
screenshot504.png

Edited by Invaderchaos

17 minutes ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Does Pegasus have some sort of attitude control?

Pegasus didn't have attitude control. It would just sorta slowly tumble in space, but it could be assumed that eventually it would have settled in an orientation via gravity-gradient stabilisation. You could slap some RCS and monoprop tanks on there if you want, I do, or use the reaction wheels of the S-IV IU.

Edited by TaintedLion

1 hour ago, TaintedLion said:

Pegasus didn't have attitude control. It would just sorta slowly tumble in space, but it could be assumed that eventually it would have settled in an orientation via gravity-gradient stabilisation. You could slap some RCS and monoprop tanks on there if you want, I do, or use the reaction wheels of the S-IV IU.

I hid RCS under Pegasus in the Adapter

Just grabbed the apollo branch earlier (new save for reasons). Also grabbed the included craft files. Uh. Is the Saturn V supposed to look like this? It certainly didn't before. There's gaps between stages now. And the engines on the bottom are misaligned, and the fin mounting points are uh, floating. Also 4x symmetry on the engine mount results in weird positions too (for fins).my3fY0N.png

Edited by silvermistshadow

14 minutes ago, silvermistshadow said:

Just grabbed the apollo branch earlier (new save for reasons). Also grabbed the included craft files. Uh. Is the Saturn V supposed to look like this? It certainly didn't before. There's gaps between stages now. And the engines on the bottom are misaligned, and the fin mounting points are uh, floating. Also 4x symmetry on the engine mount results in weird positions too (for fins).my3fY0N.png

The craft files are outdated. Those are the old Saturn parts, and it looks like you have the depreciated Saturn rescale patch installed (or the craft files were supposed to be used with the patch).

6 hours ago, Hay said:

Are there any plans for additional S-IV engine mount variants?

This has me curious.   As far as I know there would be only 2 variants.  the origional 4 engine RL10 basket and the single engine J-2 basket...    Are you thinking of others?

***BONK***  sorry forgot about the 2 engine LR87 mount :D

Edited by Pappystein

DWPLYyy.png

Apollo 18 at Schroter-Aristarchus, just returned from a trek to Herodotus crater. Finally worked up the motivation to progress this flight a little bit, but with new ALSEP parts on the horizon I think I'm gonna slow down my pace so I can take them with me on Apollo 19. Hell, if I can't fit them all I might even consider reinstating Apollo 20...

On 2/28/2022 at 5:25 PM, blu3wolf said:

I was largely correct - it was only my relay satellites  (!) using Saturn parts.... oops.

I can always add more :P

The new parts look wonderful, much improved over the old ones!

heqZPw6.jpg

28RIndK.jpg

nt2ZqRG.jpg

9BaZcq0.jpg

1v4nTgG.jpg

Full Album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Saturn I AS-103/SA-9 launches with Boilerplate Apollo BA-16 and Pegasus A/1. Pegasus and the S-IV stage will stay in orbit for 20 years until natural decay will overcome the spacecraft and send it to a fiery/water grave. 

(And yes, I realize I forgot to jettison the LES tower during flight, but I decided to use it to pull Apollo away instead)

Edited by GoldForest