[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

With the latest version of Waterfall, some effects and tools have been added that make good looking SRB plumes possible, when combined with the lingering smoke trail from RealPlume. I have been experimenting with trying to nail the Shuttle SRB lately, but I just plugged it into a UA1200 series Titan booster and with a few tweaks, it looks promising! 

zE4BMkY.jpg

And these new possibilities will also inherently extend to giving Kerolox booster engines impressive overhauls too. I expect we will start seeing some folks doing some cool stuff with Waterfall in the near future :)

26 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

ru0zYQT.jpg

Seems legit, very Kerbal. But seriously, this is hilarious to me. I was trying to find the new Big G LES (Still haven't found it), when I noticed this.  KSP Search bar, you crazy. 

7cAgO2V.jpg

@CobaltWolf Is this the Big G LES?

it is

you placed 2 gemini reentry rcs modules, romove one of them

24 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

it is

you placed 2 gemini reentry rcs modules, romove one of them

Oh? I always assumed Big G would need two to compensate for the extra mass. Plus, I think I saw a Big G with two a long time ago and just figured that was the norm for Big G.

4 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Oh? I always assumed Big G would need two to compensate for the extra mass. Plus, I think I saw a Big G with two a long time ago and just figured that was the norm for Big G.

no, if anything they were too powerful on Gemini.   It is all that is needed for the role they support (keeping the heatshield pointed correctly at atmospheric interface.)

Those thrusters were not used for anything but Re-entry

Edited by Pappystein

Bk7kRni.jpg

0Qe9w4U.jpg

drQ5nw8.jpg

N8ZL1FR.jpg

wp3CnzG.jpg

Full Album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Big Apollo (Not really, Big Apollo seated 12, this only has 5) in orbit around Kerbin. Wish we could get rid of that crew tunnel so we have a flush place to mount the MOL docking port, maybe in time we will, until then, this is as close as I could get to the image below. 

bigapollo.jpg

51 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Bk7kRni.jpg

0Qe9w4U.jpg

drQ5nw8.jpg

N8ZL1FR.jpg

wp3CnzG.jpg

Full Album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Big Apollo (Not really, Big Apollo seated 12, this only has 5) in orbit around Kerbin. Wish we could get rid of that crew tunnel so we have a flush place to mount the MOL docking port, maybe in time we will, until then, this is as close as I could get to the image below. 

bigapollo.jpg

Wow, that is one chonker of a spacecraft.

Sidenote, are there TU configs for shiny Apollo yet?

Edited by Entr8899

9 minutes ago, Entr8899 said:

Wow, that is one chonker of a spacecraft.

Heh, yeah, Big G and Big A are big, but honestly, it's just the SM that's really huge. The Big G is bigger than Apollo , yes, but Big A actually uses the Apollo CM, just moves stuff around while also removing or repositioning it, from what I can tell. So Big Apollo really isn't 'big' in that the capsule size increases, just the volume inside. At least, that's how I see it.  I could be wrong. 

Edited by GoldForest

6 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Oh snap, I didn't even think about the 1.875m ports. I just hope I modeled the aft greebles in a way they will get covered up cleanly...

51 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh snap, I didn't even think about the 1.875m ports. I just hope I modeled the aft greebles in a way they will get covered up cleanly...

ap9Az5s.jpg

khZLX7m.jpg

FGigQpk.jpg

Happy Accident, the full size 1.875 port actually fits quite well... ish. Honestly, this works out very well. Yeah, the windows could be spaced a little bit further away from the port, but really, I don't mind the very minor clipping. 

Edited by GoldForest

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Happy Accident, the full size 1.875 port actually fits quite well... ish. Honestly, this works out very well. Yeah, the windows could be spaced a little bit further away from the port, but really, I don't mind the very minor clipping. 

Yeah I'll see if I can tweak the window, probably make it a touch smaller.

ap9Az5s.jpg

@CobaltWolfIs there any chance you could add a 1.875m switch to the new Big G docking adapter? I know there already exists one, but the docking probe of the Apollo docking port clips through the window on the endcap and it looks a little awkward, and gold foil looks cooler in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Yeah I'll see if I can tweak the window, probably make it a touch smaller.

Honestly, feel the window is the perfect size. 

1 minute ago, Entr8899 said:

@CobaltWolfIs there any chance you could add a 1.875m switch to the new Big G docking adapter? I know there already exists one, but the docking probe of the Apollo docking port clips through the window on the endcap and it looks a little awkward, and gold foil looks cooler in my opinion.

The last three messages before yours are literally talking about getting rid of the docking tunnel to add support for 1.875m docking ports lol. 

Honestly, feel the window is the perfect size. 

The last three messages before yours are literally talking about getting rid of the docking tunnel to add support for 1.875m docking ports lol. 

No, I meant the support struts that make it fit on to the back of the SM. That exact part already exists for Gemini Ferry, but it would sick in gold foil.

@CobaltWolf, @Invaderchaos, @Zorg,

Some notes for the Big G. Disregard if you already have these for action:

1. The 2.5m decoupler acted a bit wonky on my flight test. The flaps moved properly, but the retro module didn't detach. I tapped the thrusters a bit and the capsule threw off the retro section. Could the connecter node for the decoupler or the CCR module be set just a tad off? The force setting was at its highest level.

2. Currently there is no way to transfer crew to the CCC module. There would need to be at least one in there so that the spacecraft could be visually guided to docking. Also, can there be a lights on function for the cargo module when there is crew inside? Are any of the greebles on the bottom of the CCC module intended to be docking radar?

3. The Banger solids can be attached to the retro module, but you have to use the move and rotate tool to get them into the right spots.

4. Nitpick alert... Most diagrams I have seen of the Big G show the crew tunnel to the cargo section right in the center of the CCC and CCR sections just like you have it currently. If that is the case, shouldn't the hatch in the 2.5m heatshield correspond to the tunnel location? Minor point really.

5. One thing I am not sure of... when Big G was to be used with the "Matisse" module on the Titan IIIC, did the spacecraft have a separate retro section for deorbit, or was it intended to use the RCS for deorbit? It is not clear on the diagrams that I have seen. If there is a separate retro module for this config, would it be possible to just get a part switch for the existing CCR module so that it will connect with the Matisse module?

One other minor request for the S-IVB instrument unit... can we get an all white version for the AS-201 and 202 flights?

Fantastic work on the Big G. Thank you!