[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

8 minutes ago, Zorg said:

What do you mean by not shielding? is the payload being destroyed? Or is it just a matter of drag. Because in my testing moduleCargoBay was working correctly and shielding the payload. If its drag I will see what can be done. 

It's drag.

8 minutes ago, Jcking said:

It's drag.

Ugh thats annoying. I know we had trouble with the jettison version of the historical SLA as well. I think we mitigated it enough with a custom drag cube on the panels but not sure if its totally resolved. Will look into it some more. (doesnt help neither me nor cobalt know much about the KSP aero system)

Edited by Zorg

10 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Ugh thats annoying. I know we had trouble with the jettison version of the historical SLA as well. I think we mitigated it enough with a custom drag cube on the panels but not sure if its totally resolved. Will look into it some more. (doesnt help neither me nor cobalt know much about the KSP aero system)

Don't know if this will help or not:

51 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Don't know if this will help or not:

I get it at the very basic level but the SLA seems to be weird due to the nature of it being built from 4 sections perhaps. Unlike fairings or the hinged SLA, the jettison panels are each a single part and despite looking at the aero debugging im not sure of the exact source of the extra drag.

1 hour ago, Jcking said:

It's drag.

Anyways I've tried... something. Please see if its helped at all.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:11 PM, Kuiper_Belt said:

Modular Skylab

CnUUdwa.jpguDmIR3L.jpgvSxW5xw.jpg

I think its beautifully cursed! 

Can't wait to send the Shuttles to Skylab with that bad boy! Those parts are beautiful! Fantastic work as always!

I may have stolen been inspired by this design so much I recreated it as best I could!

57 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Whats your test scenario?

Saturn H03 with F-1Bs for the first stage. core engine is kept at 60% thrust until 10 seconds to side booster burnout. LES is jettisoned after J2A2 ignition. Payload to 100x100 km orbit is a Apollo block V with a 38.8 ton lander with the main shapes consisting of the cryotanks H50-144 tank (90% of the oxidizer and 70% of the fuel is kept) with 4 LT-2 landing struts on the side of it and Benjee's PEV PT-M100C cabin on top. it is underneath a 3.75 meter fairing for comparison, but that faring is not built when testing the drag of the H03 SLA.

1 hour ago, Jcking said:

Saturn H03 with F-1Bs for the first stage. core engine is kept at 60% thrust until 10 seconds to side booster burnout. LES is jettisoned after J2A2 ignition. Payload to 100x100 km orbit is a Apollo block V with a 38.8 ton lander with the main shapes consisting of the cryotanks H50-144 tank (90% of the oxidizer and 70% of the fuel is kept) with 4 LT-2 landing struts on the side of it and Benjee's PEV PT-M100C cabin on top. it is underneath a 3.75 meter fairing for comparison, but that faring is not built when testing the drag of the H03 SLA.

Ok looks like there is definitely a payload drag problem, I did a test earlier just using solar panels to see if they're shielded but using the aero gui option I can see some parts generating drag. Increasing the modules lookup radius a lot doesnt seem to have fixed it so far. Needs more investigation...

Not that anyone asked but heres an cluster of 5 Saturn V's in an asparagus configuration.

MR BONES WILD RIDE

9in8fqvncev81.png?width=1920&format=png&

vvwnsnvncev81.png?width=1920&format=png&

zqo42nvncev81.png?width=1920&format=png&

zc2mnovncev81.png?width=1920&format=png&

2tn01rvncev81.png?width=1920&format=png&

cutbcrvncev81.png?width=1920&format=png&

Surprisingly, it could factually get to orbit. But because the rocket equation basically had its way with the contraption, its only really good for putting the CSM into orbit. Which is hilarious.

12 minutes ago, G'th said:

Not that anyone asked but heres an cluster of 5 Saturn V's in an asparagus configuration.

Four and three joined together was seriously proposed, although if it was a straw man design or something else is unknown (note that the 3 is in 3x symmetry and is spaced to allow a 33ft payload between the S-IIs).

IMG_7457.png

Edited by Jcking

@CobaltWolf @Zorg @Invaderchaos The LM's decoupler doesn't have a real name associated with it, and it doesn't come up when you search "Apollo"

Also Zorg, could the collider not going all the way up on the H03 fairing be a cause for the high drag?  It stops about quarter meter away from the Apollo SM.  (My curser is right above the left corner of the title box)

OucyVE6.png

Edited by GoldForest

3 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@CobaltWolf @Zorg @Invaderchaos The LM's decoupler doesn't have a real name associated with it, and it doesn't come up when you search "Apollo"

Also Zorg, could the collider not going all the way up on the H03 fairing be a cause for the high drag?  It stops about quarter meter away from the Apollo SM.  (My curser is right above the left corner of the title box)

OucyVE6.png

Try searching for LEM or LM

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Ill fix the tag thanks.

The colliders form the bounds of the moduleCargoBay shielding, they dont affect the aero.

17 hours ago, Jcking said:

Didnt have time to test extensively but I believe the payload should be appropriately shielded now. Please see if performance is ok.

I got the film-return contract that follows the Keyhole/Spyglass missions and I've been having trouble getting the results from the camera experiment into the sample return capsule without a Kerbal.

I saw that there was a "Collect All" action in action groups for the return capsule, so I set it. But, when I used it, it didn't work. I did the following:

1. Launch the thing into orbit.
  2. Run the camera experiment.
  3. Press action group 1 to "Collect All".
  4. Expected: The return capsule should have the results from the camera inside.
  5. Actual: Nothing happens.

Is there something wrong going on here?