[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

45 minutes ago, chaos113 said:

how do the crew get from one end to the other 

The supports holding the lab to the tank look to be thick enough for an astronaut to be able to crawl through, judging my how small the humans in the right lab are. 

Just now, Beccab said:

The sections aren't connected by tethers, but by full extensible corridors - large enough to allow crew to pass through them

Sniper no sniping! :D

14 hours ago, Alpha512 said:

@Zorg @CobaltWolf  May I suggest a part switch for the S-1D booster skirt with just two radial engine nodes, to make a truly HUGE FATLAS?

Also, any chance to see this S-II artificial-gravity wetlab monstrosity in the mod?

artificialG1967.jpg

A similar design, but not identical to this painting has parts already in the game (specifically the aft MDA).

eoss1.jpg

1 hour ago, Jcking said:

A similar design, but not identical to this painting has parts already in the game (specifically the aft MDA).

Yeah Im not too sure I want to do the tether system for this. General robotics jank has be somewhat discouraged and its kind of an odd piece that is useful for a specific recreation but not useful in general. The Aft MDA on the other hand opens up lots of options for users. The tether station from the previous page doesnt interest me at all tbh both aesthetically and functionally.

But on the subject of EOSS (above being SII tether EOSS), perhaps nows a good time to give a small preview of what I'm working on right now, and thats the S4B Interstage version of EOSS where the space in the SII-S4b interstage is utilised for airlocks and various experiments. Very early WIP obviously.

The telescope is going to be separate and there will be a number of experiments as well. 

unknown.png?width=1253&height=762

unknown.png?width=1022&height=763\

Earth observation science bay

unknown.png

unknown.png

4 hours ago, Jcking said:

eoss1.jpg

Oh, I have to say, I like this one even more! Just haven't seen the design before. Would be real great to get the tether system, might be just an upscaled version of @benjee10's ones

And I guess we don't have suitable solar panels in game as well

Edited by Alpha512

Launch of the Orion drive interplanetary ship "Bradbury" with a Comet like HLLV on LC 39A. (Really just a stretched Saturn V with SRBs.)

20220522111820_1_by_pudgemountain_df5xhel-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjV4aGVsLWU5MGRjMmRlLTUxYTYtNDQ0Zi04ZjcxLTJlZDhhZjliZmNiNy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.qJ1BKyJk8afRtrJ8NiVDm5f_cfz9pJfxXG0thJHiArQ

20220522112029_1_by_pudgemountain_df5xheh-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjV4aGVoLWE0MWJhN2NhLWIyNzYtNGM4Yi1hODExLTNlNTA5M2I4OTVmNC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.vrBiQvafzhGkQhhu4XUVgJP59pbybt_A3TwwIwaFQrY

20220522112323_1_by_pudgemountain_df5xhee-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjV4aGVlLWU4Njc5ODU5LTQxMmEtNDYwNC1iNjBjLTc4MmEwNjZkMjY1Mi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.SUnxG5MtAPcjkHv7ipMxiyxiC9rn_3yXodcUjurKP6k

20220522112555_1_by_pudgemountain_df5xheb-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjV4aGViLThiNGMwNTY2LTY1NWMtNGM5Yy1hODNiLTY3MzFiYzE0N2RmYy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.dK7XZxl7bXSRHZcyoPzLw4mvaydq39RFD3N8Bhtb10c

20220522113205_1_by_pudgemountain_df5xhe5-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjV4aGU1LWIwMTY0NTgzLWNhNjctNGNiYS1hYjg5LWMxMmY2MjAxNjdkYy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.iixFQuBiYsi9WvqphOKZFWw4gf6KH6AVwCXVheqypqo

Spoiler

Initial unmanned flight took 44 days to reach Venus without a launch window.

20220522121316_1_by_pudgemountain_df5xhdt-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjV4aGR0LTc4NDY2N2ZhLTU5ODYtNGNiMC04NTNiLTk2OTFmMGY1YjY4Ny5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.VI0sqwsSRMDtBcl-MdiP44xzLKpdpftw0FaPdQ8GNg8

Edited by Pudgemountain

I'm overdue for my screenshot tax, but better late than never. Have a couple a e s t h e t i c Skylab photos:

p7PV71p.png

BrKpgx1.png

RV0vEaN.png

The new IVA is super great too; it's nice that the first seat to be filled is directly facing the nadir window so I can watch clouds go by...

l2fEAvy.png

Additionally,  in early January of 1975 the crew of Skylab 4 performed a short EVA to inspect the station's hardware in preparation for the arrival of the experimental AARDV 1 supply freighter. Now slightly over one month into their three-month mission aboard the station, the cargo of propellant, consumables, and hardware to be delivered by the AARDV will allow for a possible extension to four months, virtually double that of the previous tenants' stay.

8 hours ago, Alpha512 said:

And one more little request for... @Zorg I guess? Can we get a variant of Vega aft bulkhead/engine mount without all those pressurant bottles, for Gamma Centaur?

you'll have to ask @CobaltWolf as Vega was his project. Doing so would mean sacrificing the baked ambient occlusion around that area or a new mesh+texture space so idk... 

After the success of Skylab, KASA decided to follow up with an even bigger station built using the same technology but designed to be expandable down the road. Introducing Skylab II

screenshot332.png?width=705&height=397

The Skylab II core module is very similar to the original Skylab although with some obvious differences. A habitation and lab module created using the SII stage has been added to the rear adding a massive amount of space. This required bigger life support systems that require more power and cooling so double solar panels and dedicated radiator panels were installed. The original crew docking tube was expanded to fit a 1.875m port to allow for station expansion. Finally the Kane Telescope mount was repurposed for docking the power module. This was originally planned to launch preinstalled on the station but the size and weight of the power tower meant that it had be redesigned as a separate module that would launch later.

Launch pics in spoilers

Spoiler

screenshot322.png?width=705&height=397

Two SRBs designed from the Prometheus program were needed in order to give the massive Sarnus V rocket enough thrust to get off the launchpad with enough fuel to take the core of Skylap II into orbit

screenshot325.png?width=705&height=397

Immediately after the launch of the Skylab II core, the Expansion and Docking Module was launched. As crewed vessels like the Kane can not dock with the station until this module was installed this mission and docking is entirely on autopilot using a Sarnus IC, KASA's main launch vehicle used for all but the heaviest or lightest of payloads.

Spoiler

screenshot333.png?width=705&height=397

screenshot345.png?width=705&height=397

screenshot353.png?width=705&height=397

screenshot354.png?width=705&height=397

screenshot361.png?width=705&height=397

After a successful docking, the station was ready for both crew and future expansion modules that would connect using the 1.875m docking ports first developed for the MOL program.

Using a next generation Kane capsule, 5 kerbonauts embarked to the station in order to finish setting up the interior labs and living space. 

Spoiler

screenshot362.png?width=705&height=397

screenshot369.png?width=705&height=397

Unfortunately for the crew, they were unable to release the orbital module from the Sarnus. This led them to burn to orbit without the module as mission control debated what to do. They decided that although the Kane capsule would be cramped they should be able to reach the station safely and as such the mission proceeded.

(the real problem was that I was unable to get MechJeb to dock with the module as it thought the docking port was inside the petals hitbox which freaked it out and it just started burning monoprop. Since I didn't have time to try and dock manually and finish getting into orbit I decided to leave the module behind)

screenshot371.png?width=705&height=397

The latest module launched to the station is a large power tower. With massive solar panels and batteries it will be able to provide ample power to both the core station and any expansion modules added down the road. Although a nuclear power module was considered it ultimately lost out since it would be far more expensive and require lengthy testing before it could be used on a crewed station.

Spoiler

screenshot387.png?width=705&height=397

screenshot388.png?width=705&height=397

screenshot399.png?width=705&height=397

screenshot405.png?width=705&height=397

screenshot416.png

With the power tower installed, Skylab II is fully operational. Additional crew will be launched on Kane capsules although the station also has the capability to dock with true next generation spacecraft using the new international docking port standard.

On 7/17/2017 at 8:46 PM, Daelkyr said:

I imagine it is. I'm currently working on a Kerbalism patch for BDB and having to do a lot of life support balancing and tweaking (not to mention about a zillion KSP restarts). But since BDB isn't catering to you or I, I suggest you get busy with the spreadsheets and Notepad++ or move on to a mod that already meets your needs.

How did this go?

35 minutes ago, adriangm44 said:

How did this go?

Holy cow, good luck getting an answer to something from five years ago :)

If you want better Kerbalism support for BDB you do have a few options. I wrote a patch last fall that covers a lot of the early to mid game BDB stuff, and it is available here on the forums and on Github (Grimm Modlets). It was written with the Apollo revamp in mind but a few things have probably changed since then. More recently, CessnaSkyhawk published an early version of his Kerbalism config for his tech tree (Skyhawk Science System) which is specifically tailored to BDB (this replaces the default Kerbalism config). 

Is there any way to get certain engines like the RS-30 or the expandable RL-10s to retract after they've been deployed?

I imagine I'd have to go in and tweak the configs, but I'm not sure what to change or if its even possible at all. 

36 minutes ago, G'th said:

Is there any way to get certain engines like the RS-30 or the expandable RL-10s to retract after they've been deployed?

I imagine I'd have to go in and tweak the configs, but I'm not sure what to change or if its even possible at all. 

Some info here maybe:  https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues/1096#issue-997948637  unless you mean in flight?

1 hour ago, JustDark said:

Americans and Soviets on the moon, together, as Kennedy had dreamed of
unknown.png

Reveal hidden contents

unknown.png

Bonus grayscale shot

Okay guys, we got the photo. Now, begin with the war on the mun.

Edited by GoldForest

2 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Some info here maybe:  https://github.com/CobaltWolf/Bluedog-Design-Bureau/issues/1096#issue-997948637  unless you mean in flight?

2 hours ago, G'th said:

Yeah its both. They wont' retract in VAB or in flight. 

I wonder if replacing them with a more generic Deployable Engine module might work?

For the record, it worked. 

If you change the module name in the engine config to ModuleDeployableEngine it will work and allow retraction by shutting down the engine (or clicking Toggle in the VAB

@CobaltWolf @Zorg Question: Is the J-2 A-2 supposed to be lower thrust than the J-2? It says it is a higher performance J-2, so I'm wondering if that just means ISP/Efficiency performance, or you forgot to increase the thrust performance as well. 

Also, the Saturn IB x5 Juno V engine plate is missing a node for the middle engine.

Edited by GoldForest

16 hours ago, G'th said:

15 hours ago, G'th said:

Yeah its both. They wont' retract in VAB or in flight.
I wonder if replacing them with a more generic Deployable Engine module might work?

11 hours ago, G'th said:

For the record, it worked.
If you change the module name in the engine config to ModuleDeployableEngine it will work and allow retraction by shutting down the engine (or clicking Toggle in the VAB

Yeah, I think the retraction has been broken on our module for a while.

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@CobaltWolf @Zorg Question: Is the J-2 A-2 supposed to be lower thrust than the J-2? It says it is a higher performance J-2, so I'm wondering if that just means ISP/Efficiency performance, or you forgot to increase the thrust performance as well. 

Also, the Saturn IB x5 Juno V engine plate is missing a node for the middle engine.

I just checked the ETS technical data, it's ~30 kN more thrust than the base J-2s. I think we also ran into issues trying to make the J-2 variants internally consistent and provide a clear progression of performance.

I'll check the Juno V mount, but are you sure you were using the 5x and not the 4x? EDIT: based on the config, it should be working fine. I also haven't touched that part since adding those variants, and I know they worked in my testing.

Edited by CobaltWolf

7 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

I just checked the ETS technical data, it's ~30 kN more thrust than the base J-2s. I think we also ran into issues trying to make the J-2 variants internally consistent and provide a clear progression of performance.

I'll check the Juno V mount, but are you sure you were using the 5x and not the 4x? EDIT: based on the config, it should be working fine. I also haven't touched that part since adding those variants, and I know they worked in my testing.

The A-2 has like 260 thrust when the regular J2 has like 360. The A-2 is drastically under powered then. 

As for Juno V, yes, I was sure. I didn't have a node.

38 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

The A-2 has like 260 thrust when the regular J2 has like 360. The A-2 is drastically under powered then. 

As for Juno V, yes, I was sure. I didn't have a node.

The regular J-2 has like 260 thrust, the J-2S 285, and the J-2A-2 has 291. Everything seems right to me.