[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, Rodger said:

Do you have FAR installed? And do you have the SRB recovery chutes on the SRBs?

But I don't have issues with them normally, but I have KJR installed.

No FAR, stock aero. Titan SRBs topped with sepratron nose cones not chutes.

Just a little progress update

Just a couple more instruments and the experimental rollout array left.

2 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

Are the Prometheus/Titan SRB decouplers known to be fragile? SRBs frequently tear off the decouplers at launch in my current playthrough. I don't recall that issue in a much older BDB playthrough although that was with a different set of mods.

The radial decoupler and SRB cfg's both contain "breakingForce = 112 breakingTorque = 112". If I want to increase that, should I edit both files, or can I just edit the one radial decoupler?

FYI, here are the things I've already considered:

• Struts: This lessens the problem but it's a pain to manually spam struts. Some of my Titan-inspire rockets need 3 or more sets of struts to keep the boosters from flying off immediately after launch.
  • Rigid attachment: Doesn't seem to make much difference. I've tried it on the boosters, decouplers, and tanks.
  • Alt-f12 unbreakable joints: Lessens the problem but it's awkward to remember to keep turning this feature on and off.
  • Autostrut: Not available in this playthrough. I'm using the Skyhawk Science System tree and it doesn't unlock autostrut regarldes of the advanced tweakables setting. Other users confirm the autostrut issue.
  • KJR: This isn't in my current modest. When I started this save KJR was incompatible with KSP 1.12.3. KJR has since been updated but I'm reluctant to add it because I'm already getting mysterious undiagnosed Unity crashes (I've gotten the Unity crashes mostly tamed and they are very rare now, but the root cause is unknown so I'm hesitant to make any mod changes).

We strongly recommend autostruts for most builds. If Skyhawk doesnt unlock it thats unfortunate, I would consider that a bug. Personally I always run KJR in any case however.

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Something to maybe keep y'all busy -

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED and Completed!  ***err Well mostly!

xMrcd2x.jpg

The Vehicle, a Stretch Tank Saturn II INT-18.  3M Stretch on both the MS-II and MS-IV stage...  (3rd stage is actually the ES-IVC from Eyes Turned Skyward!  I call it ES-IVC because NASA had a Real S-IVC.)  

STAGE 0:  4x UA-1208 (was to be 5x UA-1207 to be more correct but somebody forgot to put Editor Extensions in their mod list!)

STAGE 1:  MS-II 3m extension stage is powered by 5x J-2T-400K (from the Extras folder!)

STAGE 2: ES-IVC is powered by 2x J-2A-2 with the extending bells.

System is nearly Bare-bone KSSRSS 2.5 (or whatever it is called!)   And I discovered a serious issue with my install on Moon Approach....

xTYhe0t.jpg

I couldn't land because of the bad/missing textures... Magenta Hurts soo much!

OCKvW7F.jpg

As you can see in the Map View, I have the Right planet and I have over 2K dV while sub-orbital

Edited by Pappystein

6 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

Are the Prometheus/Titan SRB decouplers known to be fragile? SRBs frequently tear off the decouplers at launch in my current playthrough. I don't recall that issue in a much older BDB playthrough although that was with a different set of mods.

The radial decoupler and SRB cfg's both contain "breakingForce = 112 breakingTorque = 112". If I want to increase that, should I edit both files, or can I just edit the one radial decoupler?

• Struts: This lessens the problem but it's a pain to manually spam struts. Some of my Titan-inspire rockets need 3 or more sets of struts to keep the boosters from flying off immediately after launch.
  • Rigid attachment: Doesn't seem to make much difference. I've tried it on the boosters, decouplers, and tanks.
  • Alt-f12 unbreakable joints: Lessens the problem but it's awkward to remember to keep turning this feature on and off.
  • Autostrut: Not available in this playthrough. I'm using the Skyhawk Science System tree and it doesn't unlock autostrut regarldes of the advanced tweakables setting. Other users confirm the autostrut issue.
  • KJR: This isn't in my current modest. When I started this save KJR was incompatible with KSP 1.12.3. KJR has since been updated but I'm reluctant to add it because I'm already getting mysterious undiagnosed Unity crashes (I've gotten the Unity crashes mostly tamed and they are very rare now, but the root cause is unknown so I'm hesitant to make any mod changes).

use KJR Its Nice

6 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

Simple version Autostrut (Alternate Heaviest and Part of Origin)   You can use 3rd party mods but they often cause problems (I have never had good luck with ANY version of KJR from ANY author for example... always seems to bug something out... like Docking-ports etc...)   But then again wait until you see my next post... I got issues right now and I don't know what they are!

Just now, dababykerman said:

Hi ya'll, I was just wondering if the new LM lab/shelters were up on the dev branch yet as I saw a picture or two of them in the KSP discord server.

they are (you can clone the dev branch on github)

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Something to maybe keep y'all busy -

Anyway, here's my entry, made in 2.5x KSRSS:

uITkg4Z.png

Saturn-I...some letter? F? G? A5?

utze4DD.png

Powered by vacuum-optimised F-1 (vanilla one, not A) and two UA1208s. All are ignited on liftoff.

cSs8IIi.png

SRB placement is inspired by a certain European rocket. You also can see two verniers, for roll control after SRB separation.

kbHDihk.jpg

EZ2Etcp.jpg

mAdvTab.png

XI7nkPh.png

That's where we're going.

4FWeIKN.png

Shortly after 1st core stage separation. 2nd core stage is just a plain S-IVB.

fO1nHny.png

Finalizing LEO. Just about 120 m\s dV is spent from S-IVB total budget - leaving it with 3500 m\s dV. The orange dot is Saturn, BTW. 

(Forgot to make screens during TLI, sorry)

jvltFlX.png

Releasing the LM Shelter after TLI. It has about 1800 m\s dV, more than enough for orbital injection and deorbit burn and landing.

eYHInsc.png

As you can see, I've added extra trunks - all fully packed with ALSEP stuff, repair kits, EVA fuel and so on. I plan to turn this into actual Moon mission.

HEmiQDR.png

Approaching the Moon.

9SE9jYW.png

Entering Moon orbit. Features bugged RealPlume plume.

FxjONSd.png

Deorbit burn.

LUGs6N7.png

The landing site is between two Galilaei craters, located in Western part of Oceanus Procellarum.

2fNoTBc.png

Some nice rocks for the future crew.

QDEbADd.png

Snout Airlock deployed and waiting. (Not sure when and how it was planned to be deployed IRL, so I made this remotely.)

Edited by biohazard15

2 minutes ago, dababykerman said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how might I do that?

its not a dumb question at all, so what you wanna do is basicly go to the github for bluedog and click the button that says "master" it should bring a drop down then you click 1.11 development and from there you hit the code button and click download zip. wait for it to download, unzip the file, then you look for the gamedata directory in the unziped file and copy the files within to your gamedata. (will be unstable possibly cuz its development but it has new parts)

Edited by TheLoneOne

Just now, TheLoneOne said:

its not a dumb question at all, so what you wanna do is basicly go to the github for bluedog and click the button that says "master" it should bring a drop down then you click 1.11 development and from there you hit the code button and click download zip. then you look for the gamedata directory in the download.

Oh alright, thanks so much!

So I decided to do the Challenge as issued by CobaltWolf earlier multiple ways.   I have already posted the Saturn II INT-18 derived launcher I used to get to the Moon KSRSS 2.5x.

I am just building to get 9.5 to 10K dV with a good TWR for all soup bound stages (in atmosphere!)  

Saturn C-2 "Modernized"

STAGE 0: 4x TU-122/M-55 boosters from the extras folder (they use the Algol model as it is ABOUT the exact same size if not the right shape at all!)

STAGE 1: Ground Lit Saturn S-I stage stretched to the inital 2.1xm.  But with only 90% fuel (to match the reduced fuel capacity of the Saturn C-2's First stage vs Saturn C-1's First stage!)

STAGE 2: utilizing the S-IVB tankage stretched with the +4.5M extension.  4 engine "S-II" engine mount from the S-IVB engine plate.   4x RL20P-3 Vacuum engines

STAGE 3: utilizing the S-IVB tankage stretched with the +3m extension,  1 Engine S-IVB base plate with a single RL20P-3  (2 engines got me there faster at a lower efficency)

PAYLOAD (as required by Cobalt in OG Post!)

LzMZyOB.jpg

SbwUAKO.png

Is that the "Man in the Machine!???"   :P

Just now, Pappystein said:

So I decided to do the Challenge as issued by CobaltWolf earlier multiple ways.   I have already posted the Saturn II INT-18 derived launcher I used to get to the Moon KSRSS 2.5x.

I am just building to get 9.5 to 10K dV with a good TWR for all soup bound stages (in atmosphere!)  

Saturn C-2 "Modernized"

STAGE 0: 4x TU-122/M-55 boosters from the extras folder (they use the Algol model as it is ABOUT the exact same size if not the right shape at all!)

STAGE 1: Ground Lit Saturn S-I stage stretched to the inital 2.1xm.  But with only 90% fuel (to match the reduced fuel capacity of the Saturn C-2's First stage vs Saturn C-1's First stage!)

STAGE 2: utilizing the S-IVB tankage stretched with the +4.5M extension.  4 engine "S-II" engine mount from the S-IVB engine plate.   4x RL20P-3 Vacuum engines

STAGE 3: utilizing the S-IVB tankage stretched with the +3m extension,  1 Engine S-IVB base plate with a single RL20P-3  (2 engines got me there faster at a lower efficency)

PAYLOAD (as required by Cobalt in OG Post!)

LzMZyOB.jpg

SbwUAKO.png

Is that the "Man in the Machine!???"   :P

this challenge is sure to not cause any cursed or funky looking rockets in the future. -colbatwolf probs

Just be glad I don't have RMM installed right now (WHY DON'T I!?!)   It would have been LTBE powered and fueled by CH4!  AKA the "Titan V" as I call it!

me when my saturn V is powered by ww1 fighter plane props.

Edited by TheLoneOne

and fueled by CH4

That reminds me: what happened to two-node variant of S-I engine mount? I remember toying with it and BE-4s from Vulcan addon, this was a quite nice Saturn-I upgrade. Sadly, not anymore - there is no such option for revamped mount.

Also, a request: shortened variants of Saturn tanks. These would be extremely useful for builds like mine "Saturn-Ariane" above.

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

System is nearly Bare-bone KSSRSS 2.5 (or whatever it is called!)   And I discovered a serious issue with my install on Moon Approach....

xTYhe0t.jpg

There's something about this image of your glitch that looks really pretty to me for some reason.

4 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

There's something about this image of your glitch that looks really pretty to me for some reason.

From this angle I thought so too.  When you are at Low altitude however it is WAY overpowering!

52 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

That reminds me: what happened to two-node variant of S-I engine mount? I remember toying with it and BE-4s from Vulcan addon, this was a quite nice Saturn-I upgrade. Sadly, not anymore - there is no such option for revamped mount.

Also, a request: shortened variants of Saturn tanks. These would be extremely useful for builds like mine "Saturn-Ariane" above.

The S-I 8x mount with only 2 active nodes?  SHRUG never saw or used it myself.   I did in the old parts days have an "Extras" version of the S-IC engine mount that allowed you to place 2,3,4,or 5 engines as you choose (it was a very minor tweak to the stock settings.) 

Some real(ish) rockets like C-2 would greatly improve with their proper shorter tank lengths.   Just a matter if CobaltWolf and co want to put the effort in I guess.  Of course it would be fun to see the Cluster S-II stage at some juncture too! (I kid I kid!)