[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

3 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

Surprisingly, short S-IVB works quite well with 2 APS. Kind of super-Transtage, or super-SM for Big G. Combine with any S-IVB-based lab to get a FAT MOL.

Sorry I actually meant SPS and the Mini Service Module...     too many xPSes in Apollo! :D

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

Is that one Apollo with the RCS firing unable to dock or did you just keep backing it up and moving it forward to get the RCS firing shot?

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

PS: discovered a slight bug which we might not be able to easily fix. If you launch a Skylab with an SLA and add an apollo on top, when you decouple if will also jettison the MM shields if the Apollo capsule is root (or anything *above* the SLA). Can avoid this by keeping something like the instrument unit root even if you want to have an spacecraft on the SLA.

You have to hit "disable staging" in the VAB. I noticed that it would jettison upon staging as well, but "disable staging" stops it from happening.

55 minutes ago, Shlyopa said:

I see you like to put large engines on small stages.

39 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Sorry I actually meant SPS and the Mini Service Module...     too many xPSes in Apollo! :D

Sorry, I can't hear you!LT1Lv5K.png
i0nrzGC.pngGJiIiDg.pngRIf2tBk.pngXiKwb3J.pngi6SXW17.png

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Is that one Apollo with the RCS firing unable to dock or did you just keep backing it up and moving it forward to get the RCS firing shot?

Docking works fine, colliders are quite generous. Its just maneuvering the station

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

You have to hit "disable staging" in the VAB. I noticed that it would jettison upon staging as well, but "disable staging" stops it from happening.

Thanks I didnt notice that. Will see if I theres something I can do in the config so it doesnt bother users. 

On 6/17/2022 at 8:01 AM, Zorg said:

you can find more in the 25kW Power Module Evolution study vol 1-6. Im not sure where to download them from, might be from NTRS? @Teslamax sent them to me.

@shakuvendell, @Beccab located the source references for the documents: 

P.S. I had found them back in 2017 and stored them locally on my system. I forgot where I found them.

Remember kids, there's always a bigger G.

goE3q3F.png

1st stage is S-ID with common bulkhead tanks.

eSWDDqv.png

Liftoff from VAFB.

Byd6E5o.png

Zl08mUM.png

P9rKTYU.png

Skirt separation.

KjDVJjO.png

unvWLTv.png

Jettisoning the LES.

fzfsfj0.png

That's FAT.

hyOkfzA.png

A wild upper stage appeared!

uEWEXyP.png

I love this thing.

vekAFND.png

You can see its inner workings, made from Agena drop tanks. But why did I jettison it?

ep42F9h.png

R9TUZJS.png

That's why!

6 hours ago, Zorg said:

Thanks I didnt notice that. Will see if I theres something I can do in the config so it doesnt bother users. 

I think the only way to stop the micrometeorite shield from jettisoning  it would be to make a non jettisonable/permanent micrometeorite shield Skylab version. 

Are there any specific suggestions as to what should be in the Interstage's cargo bay?  Don't get me wrong.... I have a plethora of ideas.... just looking for modeler's intent.

As always L O V E the work.  So fitting that Skylab gets a 'sibling'

7 minutes ago, Vals_Aerospace said:

New RTGs are on the dev branch! Here are some screenies showcasing them!

And here are NFElectrical configs for those who needs them.

@PART[bluedog_RTG_GPHS]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]
{
  @cost *= 0.5
  !MODULE[ModuleGenerator] {}
  MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleRadioisotopeGenerator
    BasePower = 1.5
    HalfLife= 8.35
    EasyMode = True
  }
}
	@PART[MHWRTG]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]
{
  @cost *= 0.5
  MODULE
  {
    BasePower = 0.75
    HalfLife= 8.35
    EasyMode = True
  }
}
	@PART[RHU]:NEEDS[NearFutureElectrical]
{
  @cost *= 0.5
  MODULE
  {
    BasePower = 0.1
    HalfLife= 8.35
    EasyMode = True
  }
}

Just now, GoldForest said:

I think the only way to stop the micrometeorite shield from jettisoning  it would be to make a non jettisonable/permanent micrometeorite shield Skylab version. 

I had noticed the quirk; but hadn't submitted yet.  Was still making sure it wasn't PIBKAC.  But, agree, it seems that seems we need a pristine version or to cheat it to orbit for the moment

12 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

The MM shield has an auto deploy at altitude setting enabled by default. You turned that off too?

Edited by Jcking

Speaking of RTGs: originally SNAP-3 was meant to use Po-210. Here's my config for it:

PART
{
    name = bluedog_RTG_SNAP3_Po210
    module = Part
    author = CobaltWolf, biohazard15
    MODEL
    {
        model = Bluedog_DB/Parts/ProbeExpansion/RTGs/bluedog_RTG_SNAP3
    }
    scale = 1
    rescaleFactor = 1.0
    node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.048674, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
    node_attach = 0.0, -0.048674, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 0
    TechRequired = survivability
    entryCost = 1000
    cost = 500
    category     = Electrical
    subcategory  = 0
    title        = PB-PANS-3 Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator (Eel-210)
    manufacturer = Bluedog Design Bureau
    description  = A tiny RTG for providing a trickle of keep-alive power for spacecraft. This variant uses Eeloonium-210, which gives it extraordinary power output in exchange for short half-life and extra thermal shielding. Keep away from tea.
	    real_title = SNAP-3 Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator (Po-210)
    real_manufacturer = New Mexico State University
    real_description  = A tiny RTG for providing a trickle of keep-alive power for spacecraft. This variant uses Polonium-210, which gives it extraordinary power output in exchange for short half-life and extra thermal shielding. Keep away from tea.
	    attachRules = 1,1,0,0,1
    mass = 0.02
    dragModelType  = default
    maximum_drag   = 0.20
    minimum_drag   = 0.15
    angularDrag    = 2
    crashTolerance = 10
    maxTemp        = 2000
    bulkheadProfiles = size00, srf
	    tags = snap 3 pb pans transit 4a TNSS active atom charge e/c elect energ generat isotope nuclear nuke power radio rtg thermo volt watt

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleCargoPart
        packedVolume = 2
    }
    MODULE
    {
                BasePower = 15
                HalfLife= 0.38
                EasyMode = True
    }
}

Create new CFG file and put it into Gamedata, just like MM patches. WILL NOT WORK WITHOUT NF ELECTRICAL!

Notes:

- Ec output: x100. Meant to reflect Po-210's high output (140 W\g). SNAP-3 used 96 grams of Pu-238. I assumed that it may have used somewhat less Po-210 (otherwise Ec output would be kinda cheaty). If anyone have exact numbers, please share.

- Half-life: Uses real figures (0.38 years roughly equals 138 days).

- Extra weight: x10. While Po-210 doesn't need extra radiation shielding, it does need thermal control due to high decay rate.

- Unfortunately, B9PS does not work with this. I've tried, and even pinged Nertea about it, who confirmed this sad fact.

Overall, this thing is meant for LEO and Moon missions that are: a) short and b) need a large Ec source.

Edited by biohazard15

Modernized LC-34 isn't real, it can't hurt you.

nPUeu8f.png

mo3iFFm.png

wrocsbm.png

1alY7Vj.png

Decided it would be stupid for an ETS-type NASA to continue using Apollo lunar infrastructure for a smaller vehicle like Saturn IC when they had two perfectly good Saturn I pads available that don't require a six-to-eight hour drive from the VAB to the pad. Might make a copy of this setup next door on LC-37 so I have a couple pads for launching generation 2 Saturns.

4 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

Are there any specific suggestions as to what should be in the Interstage's cargo bay?  Don't get me wrong.... I have a plethora of ideas.... just looking for modeler's intent.

As always L O V E the work.  So fitting that Skylab gets a 'sibling'

Its technically an earth observation instrument bay. So any science instruments suitable for observing the planet below would be accurate to the proposal.

4 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

I had noticed the quirk; but hadn't submitted yet.  Was still making sure it wasn't PIBKAC.  But, agree, it seems that seems we need a pristine version or to cheat it to orbit for the moment

You can disable "auto jettison" and make sure to "disable staging" to stop it from falling off.

4 hours ago, Jcking said:

The MM shield has an auto deploy at altitude setting enabled by default. You turned that off too?

Of course. Turning off both auto jettison and staging keeps the panels on.

9 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Decided it would be stupid for an ETS-type NASA to continue using Apollo lunar infrastructure for a smaller vehicle like Saturn IC when they had two perfectly good Saturn I pads available that don't require a six-to-eight hour drive from the VAB to the pad. Might make a copy of this setup next door on LC-37 so I have a couple pads for launching generation 2 Saturns.

LC-34 and 37 were deactivated as a cost-saving measure when the moon landings started as NASA's budget was already being slashed.

LC-34 was of course later abandoned in place as a memorial to Apollo 1.

9 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Modernized LC-34 isn't real, it can't hurt you.

nPUeu8f.png

mo3iFFm.png

wrocsbm.png

1alY7Vj.png

I know how you feel I used LC-19 for manned LEO launches. The Titan IV works great in 2.5x and fits in LC-19.

After so many setbacks both personal and ingame I was finally able to do a manned Europa landing.

20220616140801_1_by_pudgemountain_df7mg8x-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzA0IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjdtZzh4LWY4OGIwMmEzLTdkOTAtNDg0Yi1iNDM5LTY5YWE3NGQ3Y2ExNi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.wPW7h8EkzM32vcIlwJUTQbD0a1LbQmTJ8koENKrWrSg

I should've used the LM Taxi variant but I though since Europa has an atmosphere an Apollo LM wouldn't work(Turns out the game does not recognize Europa's atmosphere.)

20220616145203_1_by_pudgemountain_df7mg8w-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjdtZzh3LThlM2E3MDkyLWJkMjYtNGJlYi1hMjBlLTRhNTQ3Njg3OGZiYS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.emsqocD1EFIQmwR3Vc10eupQxEfuGlllP8nffIYtr0o

20220617101225_1_by_pudgemountain_df7mg8u-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjdtZzh1LTYwNDgxNDQ5LTM4NmItNDIzMi1hYzM0LTE4Y2I3ZGNkMmVkNy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.-FySU9aQdBZVV0uKgs2T3J6GMs2R_JiJ7qxftgGhDQc

Ranger Cam on the rover facing Mila Kerman.

20220617101251_1_by_pudgemountain_df7mg8r-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjdtZzhyLWMzZGUzNzhiLTQ5OTEtNGM5YS04ZWJkLTY4MjljNThhZWJiMC5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.ucKu8GPwW5GS5hlhzGQrhYnOdT9NmQhOX8vlCAPJbBY

20220617105646_1_by_pudgemountain_df7mg8m-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjdtZzhtLWMxMWQzMDdjLWFhZWUtNDhhMy04NjcwLTkwZWU3ZGUyZDE5My5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.iEUlyRKtq-0vdX3jUhACVWh651JMj9tpqNY8fQzinGs

I do have more pics but since most especially the last one i posted in this post have little to no BDB parts I don't feel like it's appropriate to put them in. As for the Altair lander due to an airlock malfunction(Kraken) which resulted in the death of Mila  Kerman we are suspending Altair landings until the situation can be fixed so for now we will stick to Apollo and Gemini landers.