[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

On 6/29/2022 at 12:39 PM, Pudgemountain said:

Now an Ares(Voyage) Mars landing can be done.

Ares didn't use nuclear engines though... uh, read the book if you wanna know why - I ain't spoiling that lol.

On 6/29/2022 at 5:11 AM, Shlyopa said:

Where can i see bdb part modelling process from scratch?

On 6/29/2022 at 12:42 PM, Jcking said:

Cobalt occasionally streams his work on parts for BDB in various states of completion that have various levels of work on them. He’ll link the stream in this topic when he is streaming.

Yeah, apologies for saying I'd stream last weekend, didn't know I was going to get COVID. :) I'm feeling better and I think the LRV might be good to get in game this weekend. I'd like to stream some polishing work on it (basically going through and finding all the details I forgot to add to the texture) and getting it in game if I can. 

Enjoy some progress pics. I was stuck on the rear area for a while but I think I've come to grips with it. The main thing left now is the tool carrier and the SEP experiment antenna, everything else is at least partially textured.

fOwTcXZ.png

6aqrC0v.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

23 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Ares didn't use nuclear engines though... uh, read the book if you wanna know why - I ain't spoiling that lol.

Yeah, apologies for saying I'd stream last weekend, didn't know I was going to get COVID. :) I'm feeling better and I think the LRV might be good to get in game this weekend. I'd like to stream some polishing work on it (basically going through and finding all the details I forgot to add to the texture) and getting it in game if I can. 

Enjoy some progress pics. I was stuck on the rear area for a while but I think I've come to grips with it. The main thing left now is the tool carrier and the SEP experiment antenna, everything else is at least partially textured.

fOwTcXZ.png

6aqrC0v.png

True, sorry it's been almost 15 years since I read the book lol.

Beautiful! I'm super excited to try this out in game. Also, was there ever a plan to add DSKY to the apollo capsule?  I know there's not a plan for any IVA, but for some reason I remember seeing a DSKY recently on this thread and now I can't find it. Maybe it was the control console for the Lunar Rover?

3 minutes ago, Elro2k said:

Beautiful! I'm super excited to try this out in game. Also, was there ever a plan to add DSKY to the apollo capsule?  I know there's not a plan for any IVA, but for some reason I remember seeing a DSKY recently on this thread and now I can't find it. Maybe it was the control console for the Lunar Rover?

I do have a DSKY prop model yeah, but im hoping to redo the IVAs for the LM and CM at some point and was thinking of adding it then. 

3 minutes ago, Elro2k said:

The DSKY is available through IVA mods like Mas or RPM. 

Once upon a time I was supposed to do IVAs for BDB but then I had a sudden case of homelessness and now its been so long I don't even remember how to do them lol. I'd check the threads for those mods and Reviva as well. I'm pretty sure somebody out there has one with all the Apollo props working. 

9 hours ago, Beccab said:

Nuclear/NEP hybrid mars mission. Nerva II sure had some interesting missions proposed for it!

RlzKDJi.png

I don't know if nuclear electric propulsion will make an appearance in BDB at some point, but man, I love it

Think this might be one my favourite builds that you've posted here.

We dont have any firm plans for nuclear electric propulsion at the moment though. Just on the subject of (solar) electric propulsion I had some vague ideas of redoing the Halley/Tempel ion parts including the rest of the probe but this wasn't a definite plan. 

20 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Think this might be one my favourite builds that you've posted here.

We dont have any firm plans for nuclear electric propulsion at the moment though. Just on the subject of (solar) electric propulsion I had some vague ideas of redoing the Halley/Tempel ion parts including the rest of the probe but this wasn't a definite plan. 

Yep that's absolutely fair, 99% of the NEP proposals are for massive transfer vehicles on top of the usual complications of expanding trusses after all. If you're open to suggestions, with the current BDB parts the easiest to add would probably be the ionic & solar upgrade to Pioneer G (19730003071 on NTRS)

unknown.png

unknown.png

The asteroid belt survey spacecraft of  19700014165 is also pretty nice, but that's really more of a personal wish if anything. Y'all already have a lot of fantastic stuff planned without me asking for more

unknown.png

6 hours ago, Beccab said:

Yep that's absolutely fair, 99% of the NEP proposals are for massive transfer vehicles on top of the usual complications of expanding trusses after all. If you're open to suggestions, with the current BDB parts the easiest to add would probably be the ionic & solar upgrade to Pioneer G (19730003071 on NTRS)

unknown.png

Solar panels and RTGs? Why though? If it's to save the RTGs for later use, don't RTGs continuously produce power and have no off switch? So, they're wasting the RTGs? 

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Solar panels and RTGs? Why though? If it's to save the RTGs for later use, don't RTGs continuously produce power and have no off switch? So, they're wasting the RTGs? 

4 SNAP-19s produce 155 W of power.

These solar arrays provide 5,000 watts (at 1 AU I think? A skim of the doc doesn't say), and the following table includes their assumptions about power use:

So at 5 of these, they'd want 5,200 watts of power -- close enough.

8 hours ago, Beccab said:

The asteroid belt survey spacecraft of  19700014165 is also pretty nice, but that's really more of a personal wish if anything. Y'all already have a lot of fantastic stuff planned without me asking for more

unknown.png

It seems to me like 19720021177 could be a later revision of the same general design:

(Although box with solar panel wings is certainly the subject of a lot of convergent evolution)

8 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

4 SNAP-19s produce 155 W of power.

These solar arrays provide 5,000 watts (at 1 AU I think? A skim of the doc doesn't say), and the following table includes their assumptions about power use:

So at 5 of these, they'd want 5,200 watts of power -- close enough.

Ah, so the solar panels are mostly for the electric drive? That makes more sense, thanks. Kinda forgot that ion engines/Electric propulsion engines are power hungry.

On 6/30/2022 at 7:18 PM, G'th said:

The DSKY is available through IVA mods like Mas or RPM. 

Once upon a time I was supposed to do IVAs for BDB but then I had a sudden case of homelessness and now its been so long I don't even remember how to do them lol. I'd check the threads for those mods and Reviva as well. I'm pretty sure somebody out there has one with all the Apollo props working. 

@G'th is correct in that a recent release of Reviva added compatibility with @MOARdV's MAS and MOARdVPlus's Apollo CM, so that it works with more recent BDB releases - the Apollo CM has the DSKY, as shown in the above thread which has a picture. I think it's more of an info display rather than a fully functional programmable thing. It's a pretty good, mostly complete retro style IVA with some neat Saturn specific switches (that I mostly got working again), FDAI and a non-canon green screen CRT, but there's also a more futuristic version with MFDs (and still DSKY/FDAI type devices).

FYI: Reviva is a mod that allows you to easily switch IVA from variants using B9PartSwitch. The README lists a lot of IVA mods, some of which Reviva supports currently (and hopefully eventually all of them and more, but modding for me is a very part time job)

Edited by 610yesnolovely

Capture.PNG
pioneer-5-7de36f84-b7b8-4396-ad04-e33648

pioneer 5 revamp coming up. Also doing an actual separate core for Explorer 6 instead of just a texture switch. Pioneer P3 Venus and Pioneer P3/Pioneer 2/Explorer 6 TV camera will be released alongside this pioneer stuff. Ironically I’m pretty sure this will *reduce* the size of the Pioneer Able folder as the Pioneer 5/Explorer 6 texel density was way too high. 

7 minutes ago, Pudgemountain said:

Since we are talking about probes and satellites. Is there a chance of Ariel 1 being made in the possible future?

This is not a request I am just curious.

WARNING!

No warranty against radioactive space starfish! :D

2 hours ago, Pudgemountain said:

And I thought I had to worry about Krakens, now I gotta worry about starfish, what's next space jellyfish?

Yes, particularly the ones that disguise themselves as federation starbases :D

Edited by KeaKaka

"Invader, can we have Viking in BDB?"

"We have Viking at home"

Viking at home:

Itngjig.png

PoAlTMJ.png

RVuWFAQ.png

Admittedly not my finest kitbash. Don't ask how many tries the landing took.

Also I have some TV stills since I love making them so much:

GMb9zmA.png

bdoJDJy.jpg

evDNfTD.jpg

5 hours ago, pTrevTrevs said:

"Invader, can we have Viking in BDB?"

"We have Viking at home"

Viking at home:

Itngjig.png

PoAlTMJ.png

RVuWFAQ.png

Admittedly not my finest kitbash. Don't ask how many tries the landing took.

Also I have some TV stills since I love making them so much:

I like it so much! ☆_☆

May i ask for a craft file?