[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

BEHOLD: THE DRES PROGRAM

Full album (WARNING: 200+ images!): https://imgur.com/a/HzeRJLd

Selected images (WARNING: 31 4k-images!):

Spoiler

lp1NcOR.png

y4KPhYz.png

ToIO258.png

6fkWxoc.png

coixvWD.png

2hQscsL.png

yPCuvba.png

tgjVQVP.png

gjqgQA5.png

rAxAJ9c.png

cebDb0L.png

jxiv5m6.png

J0Znalz.png

8A99FDx.png

pRENtYg.png

eBpmbQi.jpg

y8G6K3u.jpg

Hm2cD1t.jpg

U4urVx2.png

azHUE1Q.png

zDZxrsL.png

iUIfTMj.png

RAUprbL.png

CrUPDY4.png

Vu8jjrA.png

EPWM8rS.png

LI14Gc6.jpg

SkFUaEd.png

eSZbv0U.jpg

6eRHZuk.jpg

YkZpGtp.jpg

The modularity of the Saturn parts made it real easy to slap in an additional S-II Dres-transfer stage.

I forgot any antennas on the CSM, so I had to use the LM antennas the whole way.

For some reason the deployable surface experiments were thinking they were not on the ground, leading to them not working.

I really over-built this; I had an extra 1000m/s dV in the Dres transfer stage when I dumped it.

CSM+S-IV is really unwieldy and needs more RCS.

I've since made a 2.0 version for a Minmus landing that moves the LM to inside the petal adapter at the top; the CSM will transpose to the LM for the transfer, and move to an additional docking port on the side of the S-IV after Minmus capture so the LM can leave orbit. There also male ports on the S-IV so the LM can dock onto the S-IV.

I also need to figure out how to get a Duna lander attached when I use the interplanetary flyby parts.

Edited by bigyihsuan

2 hours ago, akron said:

Wow, that is a very nice take on it. I love it. But who said there were no plans to do Viking?

Pretty sure he mentioned once that he had no plans to do Viking after I suggested he try to implement all the Titan-Centaur payloads.

Honestly, can’t say I blame him. Viking is one of the most confusing spacecraft designs I’ve ever laid eyes on.

1 hour ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Pretty sure he mentioned once that he had no plans to do Viking after I suggested he try to implement all the Titan-Centaur payloads.

Honestly, can’t say I blame him. Viking is one of the most confusing spacecraft designs I’ve ever laid eyes on.

Oh, yes. It's a very complex spacecraft.

You might be surprised though, stay tuned.

After numerous failed designs of a Mars lander, we have realized that one of the best lander designs is just use a S-IV stage with an Aerospike lol. But now we have done it we have finally landed on Mars.

Here is Sisko the first manned Mars lander.

20220709175040_1_by_pudgemountain_df8xmm0-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjh4bW0wLWFmY2QxNjE3LWM1ODktNGMxMy1iODc2LTg5MzQ3ODVlZmE3MS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.TJFYdnkjeJGjybh8t2AGhPEpg7xfo2zWH1nAoDaunVw

Watch your step Bob.

20220709175547_1_by_pudgemountain_df8xmlv-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjh4bWx2LThiMmIzZTVkLWU5ZmItNDc5ZS04YjVhLWEzYzhkYThiMzIyZS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.aIxwN2vcHo7cdczeyeogdDSe3sMxqbQNzUWPljBs-Kg

Is that a Dust Storm.....Yes it is........

20220709175658_1_by_pudgemountain_df8xmlt-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjh4bWx0LTk4MDFiNDA0LTA4YmEtNDllZS04N2QyLTFlNDBhNGRkNTUzNi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.z3eiWQaKYLiT-Fn5pJUJERhYZ-E8UWMSvmcaSHxYVGA

Hope the flag survives.

20220709175904_1_by_pudgemountain_df8xmls-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZjh4bWxzLWFmYzBlNmQ1LTY4ODEtNDdiZi05MDY5LWMwYjhkODRlNGVjZS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.1f3MryGA2AMtymNHTdM4QAQvPXL27hAVQSq9xSeb-oA

Overall with help of Sisko's transfer rocket we were able to land and get back to Martian Orbit with barely enough fuel. Now I need to decide on whether to make a Titan Lander or try to build a Warp capable rocket.

Edited by Pudgemountain

Interlude 1976: Blue Skies and Boilerplates:

ahTQk21.png

September 1976: The Viking 2 spacecraft enters the Martian system and releases its lander after spending two weeks in a site certification orbit. The lander touched down at its primary landing site in Utopia Planitia, becoming the second manmande object to reach the Martian surface.

6w2fPsy.png

YHwUxsB.png

While awaiting a suitable pass over the landing site, Viking 2 began preliminary observation of the Martian surface, capturing numerous landmarks across the red planet. Seen here is Valles Marineris, a gargantuan canyon system stretching some four thousand kilometers across the landscape and plunging to depths of more than seven kilometers, some four times deeper than the Grand Canyon. 

680IljF.png

N9TcFAS.png

9Ib9apn.png

The spacecraft had a close call when a fragment of its aeroshell landed close by, however it rolled to a stop before disturbing the lander.

IMl6W8R.png

As night falls over Utopia Planitia, Vikign 2 captures the first footage of one of the most mesmerizing phenomena in the solar system. Incredibly, Mars has blue sunsets, as light refracts through the thin atmosphere during the early and late hours of the day.

PXiKTl3.png

During its first night on the surface, Viking 2 also performs low-light observation of the sky. In this still from the film camera, the moon Deimos can be seen just to the left of the low-gain antenna mast.

opp6SPw.png

Additionally, in the hours before dawn, Viking 2 captured another photograph of the night sky. This image featured three points of light in the eastern sky, soon identified as the planets Jupiter, Venus, and Earth. Millions of miles from launch, Viking 2 finally catches a glimpse of home.

UOT8ejh.png

JLL5lYh.png

An instant later, however, the first blue rays of sunrise creep over the horizon and obscure the view for the coming day. With a turn of its camera mast, Viking 2 returns to its work...

November1976: With the development of issues in man-rating the Saturn IC, MSFC technicians decided a second unmanned test flight was required before the vehicle could enter operational service. With no practical payloads available, however, the question of what to launch aboard SA-302 was a tricky one. Ultimately, MSC brought a Block I boilerplate out of storage and renovated it for use as a Block III simulator. The Service Module section was cut down, and the ballast inside the Command Module section was lightened to reflect the structural changes incorporated in production Block III spacecraft. The Apollo Interim Development flight, abbreviated as AID, would place this payload into a standard orbit expected of a Block III spacecraft bound for Skylab or a similar LEO mission objective. Once inserted, the boilerplate would be jettisoned and the mission would be complete. The main focus of the flight would be the Saturn IC launch vehicle, particularly the S-1E stage and its F-1A engine which had experienced complications with the G-limiting throttle in the past.

1yM81yh.png

WSz1s4x.png

yv6Q7Pb.png

sN5LJcT.png

G1yIjUj.png

Thanks to the improvements made to the propulsion system and Instrument Unit, the S-1E successfully throttled its engine down to 80 percent to produce the same G-limiting effect as Saturn Vs achieved with its early center engine cuttoff. G-force did not exceed 3Gs at any point during the flight, earning Saturn IC the chance to carry a live payload on its next mission.

R47l3i3.png

Given the... difficult... history surrounding Apollo Block I, proposals to use it as the payload for AID initially met with some resistance. It took only a short time, however, for the plan's detractors to be convinced. AID was conceived to test the rocket, not the spacecraft, and with the BPC attached the Block I CM presented an identical aerodynamic profile to Block III anyway. In fact, the mission did not require any spacecraft systems whatsoever, meaning that instead of potentially delaying further Block III flights by procuring a flightworthy spacecraft, MSC could simply provide a boilerplate with no interior, fuel cells, batteries, or communications systems.

FMOxRHe.png

With SA-302 and the Block III boilerplate inserted into the planned orbit, the SLA fairing was jettisoned and the secondary objective of the mission commenced. A modernized Pegasus satellite was mounted in the SLA to demonstrate the Saturn IC's ability to launch secondary payloads in addition to the Apollo CSM. This capability would be crucial to the upcoming Skylab 6 mission, scheduled to launch in April of 1977.

OBlOTdt.png

gNhV214.png

Pegasus II made use of the S-IVB's propulsive venting to boost itself to a higher orbit, from which it would continue the micrometeoroid research begun by its predecessors in 1965. While functionally identical, this modernized Pegasus features several upgrades, including modern electronics and communications and a secondary RTG power source, identical to the hardware planned to be launched on the two Voyager spacecraft late next year.

Please just... believe this for me. I wanted to launch a Pegasus and figured this was the most feasible way I could do it.

Next time: AAP-2, and the last flight of the Big One:

Sx0F1uQ.png

16 hours ago, akron said:

Oh, yes. It's a very complex spacecraft.

You might be surprised though, stay tuned.

There is a dead mod out there.... might be able to pick up.... or perhaps Linux would be moved and resuect, what.... the10,000 revival of something he pulled back to life?

This mod is awesome! I’ve been using it for nearly six months now. A question, are you going to make some of the Apollo Jamestown stuff from for all mankind? Like the LSAM, original Jamestown module and maybe an openable door in the Saturn Instrument ring for all those Apollo 24 recreations. :D

3 hours ago, ThatBattleCow said:

This mod is awesome! I’ve been using it for nearly six months now. A question, are you going to make some of the Apollo Jamestown stuff from for all mankind? Like the LSAM, original Jamestown module and maybe an openable door in the Saturn Instrument ring for all those Apollo 24 recreations. :D

I don't think they're making parts from FAM. It's a very inaccurate show.

Edited by Entr8899

3 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

With permission, here's a quick look at the LRV deployment sequence as of today. 

Holy BEYOND worth the waiting!  I imagined dribble.... just something that was able to fit..... what you do is amazing!

Just now, RocketBoy1641 said:

I know Colbat is the maker.... but that was quite a video.  I was speaking of the team, with heavy emphasis on Cobalt's genius, but yes the team.

Oh wow thank you, I really appreciate that! (and sorry to sound so contrary, but I'm not on the BDB team, just a fan!)

LRV should now be up on GitHub. Thanks and huge shout outs to @pTrevTrevs, @OrbitalManeuvers, @Rodger, @Pioneer_Steve and @Sgt.Shutesie for your invaluable feedback, troubleshooting, and input during the process! The LRV might be my favorite thing I've ever made for KSP, it's unreal to see it in game and working as well as it does (poorly, but better than I thought it would).

Still plenty of work left to do on it, but the basics should all work well enough for the time being. There's still a handful of texture details I missed, and most of the science parts aren't fully configured yet. But you can deploy and assemble it and take screenshots :P

Build guide, deployment procedures, and surface assembly instructions will be coming at some point before release.

13 hours ago, RocketBoy1641 said:

I know Colbat is the maker....

042Golbat.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

Have been having trouble finding time to work on BDB ;.; but hopefully I’ll have more time this week. Here’s a little peek at the new Pioneer P3 louver texture im working on:

unknown.png

this will be rolled out with the few P3 Venus parts and Pioneer 5/Explorer 6 stuff I’m doing. The original, non-louver variant will remain as a switch. There will also be an additional P3 probe core part with a black/white paint scheme, reduced mass, and fewer built in experiments for the P3 Venus Orbiter mission.

23 hours ago, ThatBattleCow said:

Most FAM stuff once they move past historical Apollo dont really work performance wise.  For example the LSAM is supposed to be a single stage to lunar orbit and back hydrolox lander but its way way too small for that especially considering the low density of hydrolox. Compare with the IRL 2 stage Altair from the constellation program for instance. This is a big problem for us as we would have to configure such parts in a very unbalanced way against other parts for it to be able to work.

Exact same problem with their Pathfinder shuttle, even worse there (although we wouldnt be doing any shuttles in any case). 

Jamestown admittedly is very cool and i dunno I think Cobalt has said it *could* be possible sometime. But in general there are more than enough weird and whacky real world proposals to work on that would both be very cool and actually work in terms of balancing and performance.

Edited by Zorg

23 hours ago, ThatBattleCow said:

I think Habtech and USI Kolonization is the closes we'll get to Jamestown at the moment.

4 minutes ago, Pudgemountain said:

I think Habtech and USI Kolonization is the closes we'll get to Jamestown at the moment.

I’ve been able to cobble together an LSAM and Jamestown module using the LMDE and procedural parts, for the LSAM, I covered the forward hatch of the BDB LM and clipped a mk1 lander can in the back

LRV bug report time.  Question:  Are you guys using KSP Community Fixes?  I have that installed and the robotics drift fix active. 

Bug:  Everytime I lock an LRV robotic part.  Things explode, or just spin around.  And then explode.

KSP Log:  https://web.tresorit.com/l/uMs2i#DJVWWXgpTKHdizPo4rEeqw

Further testing:  Turned off the Robotic drift fix, and no more explodium is present when locking hinges.

2 hours ago, Pudgemountain said:

The 3.75m Station Command part from Stockalike Station Parts Redux shows striking resemblance to the OPS/COMM module in FAM Season 2, and I'm sure theres other parts from SSPX that can be used too