[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

13 hours ago, Rodger said:

Probably not for balance reasons, but if people really want to, put this patch in GameData: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/966275238851653732/1011065747973345330/MercuryProbe.cfg

Hello @Rodger. Thank you for providing this patch. I just downloaded it and tested. I placed the patch in the Parts/Mercury folder. It works very well. It does give you the "warning - no control" prior to leaving the VAB, but this can be safely ignored and my Mercury Atlas flew perfectly. I will be downloading the patch for Apollo next. Gemini and LM to come? Perhaps these can be dropped into the BDB extras folder.

Thanks again!

Edited by DaveyJ576

Just now, PokeWasTaken said:

How do I aquire the only rocket better than the shuttle

Third stage: 1.5m stretched S-IVB
Second stage: 9m Stretched S-II
First stage: Custom built with 7.5M Near Future Launch Vehicle tanks and 7.5m fairings.

25 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

Has anyone ever done a Textures Unlimited patch for BDB? Search is not coming up with much.

TU is natively supported iirc. You should have shiny atlas parts. 

Edit: The changelog says Apollo has it.

• Official PBR support for Apollo capsule via Textures Unlimited with custom PBR textures (Thanks to Truthful Gnome)

Edited by GoldForest

That's weird, it's dull grey for me. I have SSTU running on TU, so I know that is working. Is it just a tiny hint of reflection, maybe I am expecting too much?

I saw someone with some shiny Titan parts, but never found a link to any recolor packs, maybe it was a personal patch they made.

42 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

TU is natively supported iirc. You should have shiny atlas parts. 

Edit: The changelog says Apollo has it.

37 minutes ago, Jimbodiah said:

That's weird, it's dull grey for me. I have SSTU running on TU, so I know that is working. Is it just a tiny hint of reflection, maybe I am expecting too much?

I saw someone with some shiny Titan parts, but never found a link to any recolor packs, maybe it was a personal patch they made.

We only have native TU PBR support for Apollo CM and Skylab OWS. I dunno how up to date Bella TU for BDB is but thats the only one thats good.

On 8/20/2022 at 8:20 AM, Viper2 said:

Just a short question : shouldn't the LEM truck descent stage have any monoprop ? Was delivering a rover to my moon base and noticed the lem truck rcs thrusters were not working because of no monoprop.

Good point, I don't think anyone thought of that.

On 8/20/2022 at 10:26 AM, DaOPCreeper said:

any chance you could add a cross feed toggle for the Saturn v couplers, so we could fuel the entire rocket/all stages instead of just the first stage? (using the modular launch pads mod of course)

Can't you connect the arms to the higher parts of the rocket? Or do they just visually connect

23 hours ago, Pudgemountain said:

I have a question for the Devs of this mod. WHAT THE CENSORED are those Apollo landing legs made out of to withstand and survive Venus? I thought they were just metal wrapped in foil but for some reason they lasted this long. JK.

I don't think we've ever looked at the heat tolerances of the Apollo legs cus it's never been in question before haha

19 hours ago, Socowez said:

Is loading times the only thing BDB affects, or does framerate get affected too?

There might be some parts that affect framerate, the Saturn stacks seem to have a bit of trouble with yellow clocking, but generally no.

On 8/21/2022 at 12:14 PM, YOJ said:

What would the consensus be on adding skins for the S-IC and S-IVB to be able to make SA-500F?

18 hours ago, JustDark said:

It’d also be cool to get texture switches to make the Comet rocket 

500F S-1C is possible and I've been meaning to get to it. Not sure about 500F S-IVB or Comet, I'd have to see what the UVs look like

l7GCGTc.png

32 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

There might be some parts that affect framerate, the Saturn stacks seem to have a bit of trouble with yellow clocking, but generally no.

I've noticed one strange bug with Saturn SLA parts: I sometimes get a MASSIVE frame rate drop when I add them in editor. This affects only editor - everything is fine in flight. Not sure what could cause this - logs do not show anything even remotely suspicious.

4 minutes ago, biohazard15 said:

I've noticed one strange bug with Saturn SLA parts: I sometimes get a MASSIVE frame rate drop when I add them in editor. This affects only editor - everything is fine in flight. Not sure what could cause this - logs do not show anything even remotely suspicious.

hinged one or the separate panels?

44 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Can't you connect the arms to the higher parts of the rocket? Or do they just visually connect

From the MLP thread:

"The launch base fuel generators strictly follow crossfeed rules, so they won't fuel anything past a decoupler, unless you temporarily enable crossfeed on decouplers before launch."

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

hinged one or the separate panels?

Separate panels themselves, all three variants. Hinged SLA and bases doesn't seem to be affected.

Also, a small oversight with panels - they can be picked up as the first part.

Edited by biohazard15

On 8/21/2022 at 9:26 AM, GoldForest said:

If you want Saturn C-8/ Nova rocket, NFLV has 7.5m parts that can make a good S-IC-8

I disagree. The C-8 parts can be made to be just as modular as any of the other parts. I mean, it's literally just a giant tank and an engine skirt like the S-IC on the Saturn V. Making adapters for the S-IC-8 would be no different than the adapters for the S-IC or the S-IVB imo. 

As for ugly, I disagree with that too, but to each his own.

Also, kind of funny you find the Saturn V with four strap-on LRB/SRBs okay, but not the S-IC-8 which would be less complex and less resource consuming on the game. 

I seriously don't get how this is ugly.  I mean, it's just an Americanized N-1, and I've never heard anyone call the N-1 ugly. 

Ugly is relative.... but in wet navy terms.... it has the tiny bow of a corvette (smaller than a Destroyer) and the back end of a Montana class (very THICK battleship that made the Iowas look like skinny jeans).  The combo of that would get any navy designer keel hauled.  Just go with the more elegant externals.  If you do that right, you can even do some asparagus fuel for the main stack....

On 8/18/2022 at 1:28 PM, CobaltWolf said:

Initial testing of this new-fangled "Munar Flying Vehicle" ended early...

YKhsX1M.png
kZmDhMU.png

But by the second flight (once I'd properly configured the darn RCS...) I was able to land 100m from a base after taking off over 20km away!

uIu0pyj.png

its ok.  Jeb never had a crash that he didn't walk away from that he described as "not worth it".  After all, OH the SCIENCE from the telemetry!

On 8/18/2022 at 2:37 PM, JoeSheridan said:

Yeah and i am absolutely sure: If i should write an alternative history timeline or book someday: There will be a use of the E-1 engine.

Kerbal-day BBQ grill?

I wonder if anyone has any info on Titan IIS proposal?

For those of you who don't know, Titan IIS (or 23S) was a proposed upgrade for retired Titan II ICBMs:

e2oNPgD.jpg

I'm trying to replicate the "full" version with 10x SRBs, but what I'd really like to know is SRB firing sequence. According to SLR, they were to be fired in three "batches". However, Ed's baseball card show above gives a strange "6-4-2" sequence, which is likely a mistake since there is only 10 SRBs.

Here's my "replica":

pgAXZld.png

I've placed SRBs in two groups, five each, on "port" and "starboard" sides, like Delta IV Meduim+. Firing sequence is 4-4-2, from outer to center. But there is a problem, clearly seen in MJ window: SRBs burn longer than LR-87 :P

Making that "6-4" solves that, but introduces too much TWR.

5 hours ago, biohazard15 said:

I wonder if anyone has any info on Titan IIS proposal?

For those of you who don't know, Titan IIS (or 23S) was a proposed upgrade for retired Titan II ICBMs:

e2oNPgD.jpg

I'm trying to replicate the "full" version with 10x SRBs, but what I'd really like to know is SRB firing sequence. According to SLR, they were to be fired in three "batches". However, Ed's baseball card show above gives a strange "6-4-2" sequence, which is likely a mistake since there is only 10 SRBs.

Here's my "replica":

pgAXZld.png

I've placed SRBs in two groups, five each, on "port" and "starboard" sides, like Delta IV Meduim+. Firing sequence is 4-4-2, from outer to center. But there is a problem, clearly seen in MJ window: SRBs burn longer than LR-87 :P

Making that "6-4" solves that, but introduces too much TWR.

Perhaps 6-4-2 means six are ignited initially but four of them have a different curve that burns out quicker and the reminding two are joined by a fresh pair idk. Just a guess. 

Edited by Zorg