[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

15 hours ago, Pappystein said:

So been toying with a new space station concept... MOL + Skylab II + much of ISS...

Here is a quick update of where it is at...   Note the KH-10 module will eventually be part of the station for "earth resource mapping"

6rnlfCI.jpg

Full list of launches and what not to come soon (well after I actually finish figuring this thing out! :D )

I love that concept!!

Is BDB optimized in terms of  dV to be used on the stock KSP scale or is there another scale size that it works best at.? For example, rescale at 2.5x or JNSQ which I think is around about a 2.7x equivalent.

Disregard.. just read the install directions again.

Edited by Galland1998

Quick question. I performed a search of this Topic for a bug/visual issue I reported back in April, which seems to have been lost in the excitement as this thread passed Page 1000. This is my original report:

Version: Apollo-Saturn Revamp #1195

Possible bug report: Agena Liquid Fuel Tank Flag decal flickers. I pulled the latest version of the repo and found that all of my Agena B/D Liquid Fuel Tank flags are flickering. This behavior continues even when the game is paused. It seems to be related to the part itself as all of my existing Agenas on mission have this flickering as well as an Agena created in the VAB and then sent to the launch pad.

Note that in the VAB or at certain camera angles zoomed very close in, the flag flickering does not appear or stops. Can anyone else corroborate this issue in the latest BDB version?

I am still experiencing this issue as of the latest version available on SpaceDock (site appears to be down at the time of this post).  I've tried playing with AA, reflection, and shading settings. I feel like it could be related to Scatterer, but surely many others use this mod. My current mitigation is to no longer use the provided flags and apply conformal decals on the tanks myself.

If this is a one-off and effects only my game setup, please ignore.

15 minutes ago, USKnight said:

Quick question. I performed a search of this Topic for a bug/visual issue I reported back in April, which seems to have been lost in the excitement as this thread passed Page 1000. This is my original report:

Version: Apollo-Saturn Revamp #1195

Possible bug report: Agena Liquid Fuel Tank Flag decal flickers. I pulled the latest version of the repo and found that all of my Agena B/D Liquid Fuel Tank flags are flickering. This behavior continues even when the game is paused. It seems to be related to the part itself as all of my existing Agenas on mission have this flickering as well as an Agena created in the VAB and then sent to the launch pad.

Note that in the VAB or at certain camera angles zoomed very close in, the flag flickering does not appear or stops. Can anyone else corroborate this issue in the latest BDB version?

I am still experiencing this issue as of the latest version available on SpaceDock (site appears to be down at the time of this post).  I've tried playing with AA, reflection, and shading settings. I feel like it could be related to Scatterer, but surely many others use this mod. My current mitigation is to no longer use the provided flags and apply conformal decals on the tanks myself.

If this is a one-off and effects only my game setup, please ignore.

I have/had some visual issues myself.   I went into KSP settings and made some *MINOR* changes arround shadows and it mostly went away.  ALSO I noticed that certain version of the mod Scatter and EVE have caused issues (I updated those both and now most of my flickering has gone away)

Hope that helps

Slow work on the Big G revamp, like the conical version there will be a plethora of aft configurations to enable use with any docking port in the mod!

Most of the remaining work is in the custom structural adapter you'll need to attach this to the LV. There will be 1.875m, 2.5m, 3.125m, 3.75m and 4.25m variants for that purpose.

zsk7wMw.png
6LvKkJJ.png
VHV3ykV.png
FAmK9U5.png

2 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Slow work on the Big G revamp, like the conical version there will be a plethora of aft configurations to enable use with any docking port in the mod!

Most of the remaining work is in the custom structural adapter you'll need to attach this to the LV. There will be 1.875m, 2.5m, 3.125m, 3.75m and 4.25m variants for that purpose.

zsk7wMw.png
6LvKkJJ.png
VHV3ykV.png
FAmK9U5.png

CobaltWolf doesn’t wanna add Saturn C8 because it’s an “Ugly thing” and then makes this       /j

awesome work especially with the textures!

On 9/6/2022 at 6:33 AM, Galland1998 said:

Is BDB optimized in terms of  dV to be used on the stock KSP scale or is there another scale size that it works best at.? For example, rescale at 2.5x or JNSQ which I think is around about a 2.7x equivalent.

As mentioned by others BDB is balanced against stock (meaning overpowered for stock scale cos stock parts are overpowered too). 2.5 to 2.7 is where its typically best balanced compared to IRL. Since JNSQ came out we have done all our balance testing and validation in that planet pack. More recently we have also been testing in KSRSS in 2.5x rescale and there is a native 2.7x scale KSRSS Reborn version on their gitlab too now which we will likely also begin to use. 

Side note: due to KSP fuel tank mass fractions there is no one rescale that works perfectly for all sizes of rockets. Saturn V might prefer 3.2x and might be slightly OP even in 2.7x

Edited by Zorg

1 hour ago, CobaltWolf said:

I have been destroyed.

Hey man, really love your work. I have an engine suggestion for you: the XLR-99 used in the X-15 rocket plane. But I completely understand if you're busy in something else.

45 minutes ago, DA299 said:

Hey man, really love your work. I have an engine suggestion for you: the XLR-99 used in the X-15 rocket plane. But I completely understand if you're busy in something else.

I wouldn't do the XLR-99 unless the entire X-15 was on the table, which isn't something I have time for at the moment. I've thought about it as a possibility for KSP2.

1 hour ago, Viper2 said:

the C8 would be pretty handy for mars missions

Yeah... but you can use the upgraded Saturn V´s for that too. If you strap a bunch of SRB´s or LRB´s on the first stage and replace the S-IVB with another S-II or something else (nuclear stages etc.) you get there too and you don´t need any parts that are not included in the mod. If you use 4 of the new dedicated LRB´s you have even more thrust then the C8 would have had. Instead of 8 F-1´s you have 13 or even 14 if you like to put another F-1 on the S-IC / MS-IC etc.

Edited by JoeSheridan

6 hours ago, Socowez said:

CobaltWolf doesn’t wanna add Saturn C8 because it’s an “Ugly thing” and then makes this       /j

awesome work especially with the textures!

While it wasn't a great idea (and should never have seen the light of Day) Atleast Big Gemini was INTENDED TO FLY!

Remember "C-8" AKA Direct Saturn was a way to prove that LOR was the way to go, it was never intended to be built!

5 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Did somebody say, beautiful rocket?

xLf6YRv.png

UGLY

:D

Althought I  fully admit you did a nice job kit-bashing it (given you really don't have parts the right size for the 1st or 2nd stages)

Edited by Pappystein

On 9/5/2022 at 5:33 PM, Galland1998 said:

Stock scale if you want the weight bloat of kerbalism (shielding AND life support) or 2.5/2.7 without work great.

Hiya, probably a weird question but is there a way to manually bring back the old Kane/Apollo parachutes and mount from a previous version? I've always used it myself for more than just BDB builds so I really wanted to try bringing it back for personal use

56 minutes ago, FC_Sama said:

Hiya, probably a weird question but is there a way to manually bring back the old Kane/Apollo parachutes and mount from a previous version? I've always used it myself for more than just BDB builds so I really wanted to try bringing it back for personal use

As the Apollo Saturn update was totally incompatible with the old Apollo Saturn parts, they have been deleted. Your best bet is to get an older version that has those files and get the models, textures, and configs associated with those parts. Just be aware that you may have to rename the files, and the directories in the config/model for it to work.

Edited by Jcking

4 minutes ago, Jcking said:

As the Apollo Saturn update was totally incompatible with the old Apollo Saturn parts, they have been deleted. Your best bet is to get an older version that has those files and get the models, textures, and configs associated with those parts. Just be aware that you may have to rename the files, and the directories in the config/model for it to work.

Thanks! I was trying that but I can't exactly find the textures for the parts, and I'm not really sure where they are in the directories. For reference I'm moving both parts .mu and .cfg files into a separate mod folder, and when I launch the game the parts don't have their textures (albeit they're working just fine). I know I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what.

1 hour ago, FC_Sama said:

Thanks! I was trying that but I can't exactly find the textures for the parts, and I'm not really sure where they are in the directories. For reference I'm moving both parts .mu and .cfg files into a separate mod folder, and when I launch the game the parts don't have their textures (albeit they're working just fine). I know I'm missing something, but I'm not sure what.

You'd need to copy the .mu files, .cfg files, and textures (probably the ones for the command modules?) from an older version, into the Apollo folder of your current BDB install. Or change the file directories in the cfgs.