[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

Okay, so for Zorg et al - I posted over in the KSP Community Fixes thread, but I found that the issue starts with KSP Community Fixes 1.22.0.  I can use all my mods with KSP Community Fixes 1.21.0, but once I bump to 1.22.0, it hangs.  So hopefully the team over there can figure out what was changed between the two that would cause the error.

34 minutes ago, CAPFlyer said:

Okay, so for Zorg et al - I posted over in the KSP Community Fixes thread, but I found that the issue starts with KSP Community Fixes 1.22.0.  I can use all my mods with KSP Community Fixes 1.21.0, but once I bump to 1.22.0, it hangs.  So hopefully the team over there can figure out what was changed between the two that would cause the error.

Thank you for looking into it and getting in touch with them! Seriously appreciate the initiative

Another new part - the Kadley telescope!
Based on the Hadley 3D-printable telescope designed by the KSP forums' own @Maffif!

FdJKRBuXoAAnhcq?format=jpg&name=large
FdJKRtZWAAMdb6N?format=jpg&name=large

Spoiler

Featuring weird bugs I found while taking screenshots...

FdJKgcCWIAc7xYM?format=jpg&name=large
FdJKtDbXgAsIBkO?format=jpg&name=large

The Hadley plans are available for free online - it's a really cool DIY project for any 3D printing hobbyists! More info available here.

Edited by CobaltWolf

On 9/18/2022 at 12:28 PM, Zorg said:

Another little update. 

How long have you been using Blender? How long did this take? This has amazing detail, even without solid textures on it yet! I just downloaded Blender to see what I could do and it's almost alien to me.

Edited by Socowez

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Thank you for looking into it and getting in touch with them! Seriously appreciate the initiative

Another new part - the Kadley telescope!
Based on the Hadley 3D-printable telescope designed by the KSP forums' own @Maffif!

FdJKRBuXoAAnhcq?format=jpg&name=large
FdJKRtZWAAMdb6N?format=jpg&name=large

Reveal hidden contents

Featuring weird bugs I found while taking screenshots...

FdJKgcCWIAc7xYM?format=jpg&name=large
FdJKtDbXgAsIBkO?format=jpg&name=large

The Hadley plans are available for free online - it's a really cool DIY project for any 3D printing hobbyists! More info available here.

Since Minmus is not made of ice cream, we can use this telescope to see if Vall and Eeloo are made of ice cream.

13 hours ago, Socowez said:

How long have you been using Blender? How long did this take? This has amazing detail, even without solid textures on it yet! I just downloaded Blender to see what I could do and it's almost alien to me.

I started using Blender just as the pandemic started really. No experience with 3d modelling before then. So long as you're dedicated and have patience, I assure you you can learn and become good at it. I would suggest looking for some tutorials to help  you get familiar.

I began with the infamous Blender Guru donut tutorial but while that helped me get familiar with the interface that tutorial, and many others actually aren't too helpful for making things for KSP as they're focused more on creating for rendered CG art. They often use high polygon count modelling techniques etc. 

While those tutorials do have value, I would suggest looking at some low poly modelling guides once you get a handle on the interface and basic tools. In KSP the things we make are generally using simple primitive objects with some extrusions and sometimes curves for the vast majority of things. In other words its quite simple to get into.

(if your interest is not in KSP but just 3d in general the world is your oyster really, theres tons of resources out there to learn from, many of them free).

ps. I dunno how long I spent on that lander model really. working on bits and pieces while travelling mostly. Its maybe 5-6 hours cumulative? (I could be way off in either direction tbh). Including a lot of time just idling lol, looking at references, aimlessly spinning the model around etc.

Edited by Zorg

1 minute ago, Zorg said:

Including a lot of time just idling lol, looking at references, aimlessly spinning the model around etc.

It's very important to "familiarize yourself with the model" ...right? I'll just keep telling myself that lol

6 hours ago, zakkpaz said:

just a heads up the model for the Methalox RL-10 is broken with the new update, the RL-10 C3 mesh is always visible and clips with the others

Should be fixed now, thanks. I'm also soft-depreciating the methalox RL10-b-2 and a-4-1n separate part variants in favor of a subtype on the main engine parts. If any craft had them they will still work, but now you'll  just be able to switch fuel types on the extendable RL10s. (I can't do the same for the main non-extending RL10, since it has multiple engine variants already, so that one's methalox version will stay as a separate part)

2 hours ago, Rodger said:

It's very important to "familiarize yourself with the model" ...right? I'll just keep telling myself that lol

Should be fixed now, thanks. I'm also soft-depreciating the methalox RL10-b-2 and a-4-1n separate part variants in favor of a subtype on the main engine parts. If any craft had them they will still work, but now you'll  just be able to switch fuel types on the extendable RL10s. (I can't do the same for the main non-extending RL10, since it has multiple engine variants already, so that one's methalox version will stay as a separate part)

You can mix fuels in those patches... But it isn't easy.   (the Hypergolic Patch does this with Titan Engines)   You sort of have to do a nested patch to get it to work correctly.    It is in part, why it took me almost 3 years to release the patch.   The biggest concern I think would be making sure the Methalox patch runs after any and all OTHER engine patches for the RL10.  And that is only for troubleshooting purposes.   That part of the Hypergolic patch was based on conversations with Jso, conversations with Zorg and Zorg's LR87-AJ-9 patch

Edited by Pappystein

1 hour ago, Pappystein said:

You can mix fuels in those patches... But it isn't easy.   (the Hypergolic Patch does this with Titan Engines)   You sort of have to do a nested patch to get it to work correctly.    It is in part, why it took me almost 3 years to release the patch.   The biggest concern I think would be making sure the Methalox patch runs after any and all OTHER engine patches for the RL10.  And that is only for troubleshooting purposes.   That part of the Hypergolic patch was based on conversations with Jso, conversations with Zorg and Zorg's LR87-AJ-9 patch

I wonder if you can use a B9PS module to switch the data in another B9PS module's subtypes... Yeah, at some point it's just a lot simpler to do a +PART instead lol

1 hour ago, Rodger said:

I wonder if you can use a B9PS module to switch the data in another B9PS module's subtypes... Yeah, at some point it's just a lot simpler to do a +PART instead lol

Yeah,  the fact is Modulemanager is actually pretty powerful for this kind of stuff... and B9PS is like an overlay that runs after/ontop of Modulemanager, so you can patch to your hearts content.

The issue is just making sure your timing is correct... or you RUD the game.

1 hour ago, GoldForest said:

Don't use Shall Not Be Named. 

Besides, having an actual part and not a resized one is always better imo.

The 2.3.12 version made for 1.4.2 still works fine (plus you don’t need all the dependencies that the newer ones require), and tweak all removes the limitations on configs. The version checker complains that it’s out of date, but that means nothing.

Edited by Jcking

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Don't use Shall Not Be Named. 

Besides, having an actual part and not a resized one is always better imo.

I’m gonna say it.

TweakScale is a very useful tool. When you need to tweak the size of some landing gear just right the different sizes don’t fit your lander too well, it’s a good mod. 

There are parts that should undoubtedly be left alone, like crew modules, engines, and others. I don’t use it for most builds, but when there’s a niche that can’t be filled, Tweakscale helps. I used the Gemini Lander Legs on a lander I made, they were too small. Scaled them up just a little and they fit great and worked well. 

I hate the big changes too, like scaling up the first fuel tank and engines you get in a career play, it’s simply cheating. But for small applications, it’s indispensable.

TL;DR: stop hating bro

5 hours ago, Pudgemountain said:

My first attempt at using the ALSEP, turns out they were not connected. Oh well I got enough science in this career.

20220922193839_1_by_pudgemountain_dfdzo6r-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzA0IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZmR6bzZyLTAxN2RhMDMxLTAxNzUtNDhhYi04OTJmLWQ5MTUwNmJkNmIxMS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.sHBr6F8axWQ8ftDoKzHTCOrM2Hx6Ky3d19DPwKMPfT8

Now I need to connect them and learn how to get the LRV working. Maybe next mission lol

You still need to use the stock Experiment Control Station to get them to work

On 9/22/2022 at 2:01 AM, Zorg said:

I started using Blender just as the pandemic started really. No experience with 3d modelling before then. So long as you're dedicated and have patience, I assure you you can learn and become good at it. I would suggest looking for some tutorials to help  you get familiar.

I began with the infamous Blender Guru donut tutorial but while that helped me get familiar with the interface that tutorial, and many others actually aren't too helpful for making things for KSP as they're focused more on creating for rendered CG art. They often use high polygon count modelling techniques etc. 

While those tutorials do have value, I would suggest looking at some low poly modelling guides once you get a handle on the interface and basic tools. In KSP the things we make are generally using simple primitive objects with some extrusions and sometimes curves for the vast majority of things. In other words its quite simple to get into.

(if your interest is not in KSP but just 3d in general the world is your oyster really, theres tons of resources out there to learn from, many of them free).

ps. I dunno how long I spent on that lander model really. working on bits and pieces while travelling mostly. Its maybe 5-6 hours cumulative? (I could be way off in either direction tbh). Including a lot of time just idling lol, looking at references, aimlessly spinning the model around etc.

He is right about picking stuff up quick.  It doesn't really matter what it is, if you have the passion to do something and spend the time on something- you can make amazing creations.

22 minutes ago, ra4nd0m said:

Hey guys. So I decided to recreate Voyager I & II flight in KSRSS but are there any Voyager parts in this pack? If no is there eny plans to make them? It's quite an iconic spacecraft.

Check the unofficial wiki for bluedog... Pretty sure there are examples of builds for them.  Great resource there.

https://github.com/friznit/Unofficial-BDB-Wiki/wiki/Satellites#probes-plus

Edit: ok, looks like probes plus parts.  That is a good one too!

Edited by RocketBoy1641

34 minutes ago, ra4nd0m said:

Hey guys. So I decided to recreate Voyager I & II flight in KSRSS but are there any Voyager parts in this pack? If no is there eny plans to make them? It's quite an iconic spacecraft.

The only Voyager part I know that is currently around are the RTG generators but from the sounds of it, they might be implemented in the future.

As for a substitue Probes Plus and RN US Probes has the Voyager probes.