[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

@CAPFlyer, Completely Non-Agressive Rocketry (CNAR) bas a very good V-2/Bumper/WAC Corporal that I use a lot. Be advised that you have to do a wee bit of fiddling with the .cfg files as the WAC Corporal is WAY overweight, and I added a small amount of fuel to both the Bumper and the WAC. Read through the thread and it is all spelled out. Overall, it is a nice complement to BDB. 

Edited by DaveyJ576
Added tag

Yes, I actually use CNAR as well.  I've been struggling with it due to issues between it and Skyhawk Science/Kerbalism because not everything gets the right hard drives and I can't get anything to transmit, so I'm kinda "stuck" at the moment.  I posted about it in the Skyhawk and Kerbalism threads, but not really getting much feedback with assistance of where to start looking for conflicts.

Bluedog Design Bureau v1.11 "вне"

iNQqSmf.png

Release Album

Downloads:

GitHub | Spacedock

Available on CKAN

Changelog:

Spoiler
v1.11.0
New content and features
- Add Deployable Engines as hard dependency
- All new boiloff mechanics using System Heat as a new dependency (included by default, can be removed optionally). Boiloff can now be managed by using system heat configured radiators to provide active cryo cooling
- Skylab 25kW power module parts including large solar panels, radiators, tower structure, and docking adapter
- Skylab teleoperator retrieval system (reboost module)
- SII interstage based EOSS space station parts including aft section, large telescope, solar panels, experimental rollout solar array and more
- New nuclear engines: NERVA XE hot bleed cycle engine, NERVA full flow cycle flight engine (with aerospike option), large and powerful NERVA II, Los Alamos Small Nuclear Engine concept
- Apollo SIM bay ATM telescope
- SII wet workshop
- Mariner 3, 4 and 5
- 6.25m S4F stage for FLO HLLV (incorrectly known as Comet HLLV sometimes)
- 8m Saturn fairing inspired by FLO HLLV.
- New 2.5m Saturn fairing
- 3x variant for Saturn S1D engine mount
- Revamped Big G 1969 (cylindrical service module)
- Revamped Centaur II (atlas II) and Common Centaur/Centaur III (Atlas III and V)
- Orbital Goo Laboratory inspired by Orbital Primate Spacecraft.
- Apollo Lunar Roving Vehicle (LRV) parts (requires Breaking Ground DLC for robotics)
- Extended set of ALSEP ground experiments including historical experiments and proposed ones (requires Breaking Ground DLC for EVA ground science)
- 3 crew LM Taxi with uprated ascent stage variant
- LM truck cargo variant with roll-off ramp with autonomous descent stage variant
- Orbital LM Lab
- LM Shelter and Early Lunar Shelter with new experiments including 100ft drill (thanks to Gregoria Luna (Gregrox) for the telescope results)
- She-lab (Shelter Lab) with accompanying MTV vehicle.
- Lunar Flying Vehicle
- LR91 style nozzle for the single LR87 vac
- Shaddy compatibility support for blanket type solar panels using transmission shaders (backlit glow)
- Shaddy compatibility for translucent parachute shaders
- new IVA for the LM and variants (new props including detailed hatches and DSKY interface)
- Haaselblad lunar camera KIS prop (also an IVA prop)

Updates and Enhancements
- Native community category kit implementation
- Update filter extensions compatibility
- Snacks! compatibility update thanks to debaker02
- Startup fireball effects for F1 and RS68 waterfall plumes
- Add mesh switch to CADS docking ports to turn off inner hatch.
- RL10-C3 variant (thanks to Al2me6)
- New running sound for nuclear engines with Geiger clicks (Thanks to Katniss)
- Compatibility with Default Action Groups mod
- Add some KSRSS results to sci defs

Bug fixes
- Fixed Apollo IVA rotation bugs
- Fixed Gemini lander IVA rotation bug
- various minor fixes

h6ukPOR.png

A note on the future:

With the KSP2 release date announcement, I'm sure you're all wondering what the future of BDB is. Well, this is probably the last "big" update for KSP1. We have some stuff coming down the line still - Zorg's fantastic Voyager Mars, as well as some small projects from myself. But we simply won't have time to take on big new expansions before that comes.

So what happens when KSP2 arrives? Well, we don't know yet. BDB isn't going anywhere, that's for sure. That goes for both KSP1 (these releases won't go anywhere) as well as KSP2 (we fully intend on carrying on our work there). What will BDB2 look like? We don't know that either. There hasn't been any information on KSP2 modding yet, so we're as in the dark as you all are. We'll have to be patient, and even once we get our hands on the specs it will be a long, long process to create something on par with BDB1. Many of the models are probably good enough to make the jump, but the shaders and textures will not. Despite that, we're excited for the future.

And on that note, I want to thank everyone who's spent the last 7+ years playing, enjoying, commenting, and sharing their creations with the mod. It has been an absolute blast, and hopefully will continue to be for many years to come.

- CobaltWolf aka Matt

Edited by CobaltWolf

19 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

iNQqSmf.png

Release Album

Downloads:

GitHub | Spacedock (still uploading at time of posting)

Available on CKAN SoonTM

Changelog:

Hide contents
v1.11.0
New content and features
- All new boiloff mechanics using System Heat as a new dependency (included by default, can be removed optionally). Boiloff can now be managed by using system heat configured radiators to provide active cryo cooling
- Skylab 25kW power module parts including large solar panels, radiators, tower structure, and docking adapter
- SII interstage based EOSS space station parts including aft section, large telescope, solar panels, experimental rollout solar array and more
- New nuclear engines: NERVA XE hot bleed cycle engine, NERVA full flow cycle flight engine (with aerospike option), large and powerful NERVA II, Los Alamos Small Nuclear Engine concept
- SII wet workshop
- Mariner 3, 4 and 5
- Revamped Centaur II (atlas II) and Common Centaur/Centaur III (Atlas III and V)
- Apollo Lunar Roving Vehicle (LRV) parts (requires Breaking Ground DLC for robotics)
- Extended set of ALSEP ground experiments including historical experiments and proposed ones (requires Breaking Ground DLC for EVA ground science)
- LM truck cargo variant with roll-off ramp with autonomous descent stage variant
- Orbital LM Lab
- LM Shelter and Early Lunar Shelter with new experiments including 100ft drill (thanks to Gregoria Luna (Gregrox) for the telescope results)
- Lunar Flying Vehicle
- Shaddy compatibility support for blanket type solar panels using transmission shaders (backlit glow)
- new IVA for the LM and variants (new props including detailed hatches and DSKY interface)

Updates and Enhancements

Bug fixes
- various minor fixes

h6ukPOR.png

My week at work has been rough, but between this and SPOCK and this, worth it!

I’m gonna guess this stuff is in the devbranch as well?

Edited by Blufor878

53 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

iNQqSmf.png

Release Album

Downloads:

GitHub | Spacedock (still uploading at time of posting)

Available on CKAN SoonTM

Changelog:

Reveal hidden contents
v1.11.0
New content and features
- SII wet workshop
- Mariner 3, 4 and 5
- Orbital LM Lab
- Lunar Flying Vehicle

Updates and Enhancements

Bug fixes
- various minor fixes

h6ukPOR.png

A note on the future:

With the KSP2 release date announcement, I'm sure you're all wondering what the future of BDB is. Well, this is probably the last "big" update for KSP1. We have some stuff coming down the line still - Zorg's fantastic Voyager Mars, as well as some small projects from myself. But we simply won't have time to take on big new expansions before that comes.

So what happens when KSP2 arrives? Well, we don't know yet. BDB isn't going anywhere, that's for sure. That goes for both KSP1 (these releases won't go anywhere) as well as KSP2 (we fully intend on carrying on our work there). What will BDB2 look like? We don't know that either. There hasn't been any information on KSP2 modding yet, so we're as in the dark as you all are. We'll have to be patient, and even once we get our hands on the specs it will be a long, long process to create something on par with BDB1. Many of the models are probably good enough to make the jump, but the shaders and textures will not. Despite that, we're excited for the future.

And on that note, I want to thank everyone who's spent the last 7+ years playing, enjoying, commenting, and sharing their creations with the mod. It has been an absolute blast, and hopefully will continue to be for many years to come.

- CobaltWolf aka Matt

The release has duplicate download folders, that looks like this:

Bluedog-Design-Bureau-1.11.0.zip

Bluedog-Design-Bureau1.11.0.zip

They're the same size, probably same contents, but it still causes a little confusion

26 minutes ago, Socowez said:

The release has duplicate download folders, that looks like this:

Bluedog-Design-Bureau-1.11.0.zip

Bluedog-Design-Bureau1.11.0.zip

They're the same size, probably same contents, but it still causes a little confusion

Yeah I realized I messed up the name and forgot the hyphen. Thought I removed the upload and replaced it... check again?

@CobaltWolf Congrats on 1.11's release! It has been a journey, definitely, one that hopefully wont end anytime soon. I'm sure you'll figure BDB2 out sooner or later. Maybe focus on interstellar projects from the past? Orion, Daedalus, etc. I know these will be in game for KSP2 as stock parts, but stock and historic are two different monsters. And let's be honest, stock historic is a little different than stockalike historic. I.e. Stock SLS and Ariane 5. 

Maybe you could throw in a Nova or 2. I'm not talking the C-8 Nova. I'm talking about those monster ones that make Saturn V look like a medium class rocket. Martin Marietta Basic and Advanced, General Dynamics and NASA. I know you don't like going off spec or schematic, but just a suggestion.

Whatever you decide, I know one thing: it will be great, and the community will be here, waiting and willing to play with whatever you decide to give us. So please, take your time. Take a break if you, Zorg, Invader and Rodger need it. Figure out what you all want to do. When you're ready, we'll be waiting. 

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

@CobaltWolf Congrats on 1.11's release! It has been a journey, definitely, one that hopefully wont end anytime soon. I'm sure you'll figure BDB2 out sooner or later. Maybe focus on interstellar projects from the past? Orion, Daedalus, etc. I know these will be in game for KSP2 as stock parts, but stock and historic are two different monsters. And let's be honest, stock historic is a little different than stockalike historic. I.e. Stock SLS and Ariane 5. 

Maybe you could throw in a Nova or 2. I'm not talking the C-8 Nova. I'm talking about those monster ones that make Saturn V look like a medium class rocket. Martin Marietta Basic and Advanced, General Dynamics and NASA. I know you don't like going off spec or schematic, but just a suggestion.

Whatever you decide, I know one thing: it will be great, and the community will be here, waiting and willing to play with whatever you decide to give us. So please, take your time. Take a break if you, Zorg, Invader and Rodger need it. Figure out what you all want to do. When you're ready, we'll be waiting. 

BDB2, the Convair update.

I’ll let y’all use your imagination.

33 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Oh I'm totally down to make a BDB version of Orion (the nuclear propulsion vehicle) for BDB2. What I'd like is to sort of treat it as a total conversion, but maybe including some of the really whacky IRL ideas we always avoided in KSP1... since all that is stock hopefully we could easily make our own. We'd also probably try and break the mod up, but we'll have to see how stuff like asset sharing works.

The "real" Novas would definitely be more in line with what we've seen from the trailers... I don't know, I've had changes of heart before...

Like I said, we have a few things we're working on still as we can. I just don't think people should expect another update of this size and scale, with... jeez I have no idea how many new parts were added in 1.11 haha. Hopefully sooner than later we'll get a clearer idea of what modding will look like, hopefully some documentation for stuff like art standards (if we all pray hard enough), then we might start thinking about doing prep work for BDB2. Zorg never got to the Atlas update, I pointed out that real, PBR Atlas would look pretty amazing...

Edited by CobaltWolf

15 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh I'm totally down to make a BDB version of Orion (the nuclear propulsion vehicle) for BDB2. What I'd like is to sort of treat it as a total conversion, but maybe including some of the really whacky IRL ideas we always avoided in KSP1... since all that is stock hopefully we could easily make our own. We'd also probably try and break the mod up, but we'll have to see how stuff like asset sharing works.

The "real" Novas would definitely be more in line with what we've seen from the trailers... I don't know, I've had changes of heart before...

Like I said, we have a few things we're working on still as we can. I just don't think people should expect another update of this size and scale, with... jeez I have no idea how many new parts were added in 1.11 haha. Hopefully sooner than later we'll get a clearer idea of what modding will look like, hopefully some documentation for stuff like art standards (if we all pray hard enough), then we might start thinking about doing prep work for BDB2. Zorg never got to the Atlas update, I pointed out that real, PBR Atlas would look pretty amazing...

Maybe do a poll for each of the four lists and make the top 2 or 3 from each list to make it easier on you. There's like 50 Nova designs lol.

35 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

The rocket or the space shuttle? :o

Yup!

Hey, small issue. The main LEM variant still seems to use the old IVA. The other versions are fine, and the orientation bug has been fixed overall. I also have Reviva installed so I don't know if that might have something to do with it?

17 minutes ago, Blufor878 said:

Yup!

Hey, small issue. The main LEM variant still seems to use the old IVA. The other versions are fine, and the orientation bug has been fixed overall. I also have Reviva installed so I don't know if that might have something to do with it?

Probably. Its likely Reviva adds its own IVA and uses the old model.

38 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

21 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Maybe do a poll for each of the four lists and make the top 2 or 3 from each list to make it easier on you. There's like 50 Nova designs lol.

On the subject of (real) Nova, at the very least we have one of the engines already :P

4 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Probably. Its likely Reviva adds its own IVA and uses the old model.

On the subject of (real) Nova, at the very least we have one of the engines already :P

If you consider the NASA designs, you have most, if not all, of the engines already. F-1, J-2, Nerva, and M-1.

43 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

Oh I'm totally down to make a BDB version of Orion (the nuclear propulsion vehicle) for BDB2

Oh god, I literally can't imagine an Orion model with BDB-level quality. It would be incredible, really

1 minute ago, GoldForest said:

If you consider the NASA designs, you have most, if not all, of the engines already. F-1, J-2, Nerva, and M-1.

Well, there's the massive aerospikes that changed basically with every study, but yeah

8 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Oh god, I literally can't imagine an Orion model with BDB-level quality. It would be incredible, really

Well, there's the massive aerospikes that changed basically with every study, but yeah

I don't think of any of the NASA Novas had aerospikes. I think MM or GD used some, but not NASA.

13 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

I don't think of any of the NASA Novas had aerospikes. I think MM or GD used some, but not NASA.

There's roughly two different NOVAs, the early ones (which include your NASA NOVAs) were around as capable as C-8 (and the baseline nova was practically identical to C-8 with the exception of a two M-1 second stage), and the later ~1 million lbs to orbit NOVAs. For the latter, having the F-1, and M-1 modeled isn't as useful as one would think.

Capture.PNG

48 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Beyond what was already stated, now we just need a KSP2 plugin for F-1 powered Plug-Aerospike engine (with the 18 F-1s around the central plug) :D

Honestly something like that (a plug in for Plug engines) would be a benefit for quite a few aerospikes (Looking at you LTBE / XRS-2200)  

38 minutes ago, Jcking said:

There's roughly two different NOVAs, the early ones (which include your NASA NOVAs) were around as capable as C-8 (and the baseline nova was practically identical to C-8 with the exception of a two M-1 second stage), and the later ~1 million lbs to orbit NOVAs. For the latter, having the F-1, and M-1 modeled isn't as useful as one would think.

Well, unless Cobalt or the others decides to model engine stacks like SSTU does, having an already modeled engine will cut down on workload.

In other thoughts, I'd like to point out that some of those giant Novas got ridiculous... but I absolutely love the concepts. Like, OOST and ROOST. OOST on its own isn't too bad, single stage to orbit is perfectly fine. But then you add reusability to it, and you get ROOST.  Like, imagine something bigger than a Starship and Superheavy stack. Now imagine it being reusable. 

Idbb3DU.gif

Like, yeah. Starship Superheavy is what?  120 meters? ROOST is 160 meters! SSH is about 9m across, ROOST is 21.30 meters! More than double! And then on top of ROOST, you have stuff like this:

0MOJDl8.gif

Astro! A freaking space shuttle larger than ROOST itself. 

Oh, and for anyone wondering about all the Novas; Along with the Douglas studies above, these are it:

LfvcvWp.gif

dAcW2Fj.gif

jQuvUB4.gif

QWbH48D.gif

Also also, anybody know what's up with MM Advance Designs Nova R10R-2? Like, is that a rocket or a modern architecture project? @Pappystein Any info you got on that one?

Edited by GoldForest

40 minutes ago, Jcking said:

Capture.PNG

33 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

Beyond what was already stated, now we just need a KSP2 plugin for F-1 powered Plug-Aerospike engine (with the 18 F-1s around the central plug) :D

Honestly something like that (a plug in for Plug engines) would be a benefit for quite a few aerospikes (Looking at you LTBE / XRS-2200)  

Thanks to NASA's MSFC there's also, for a lack of a better term, this thing. The entire rocket is the aerospike!

unknown.png

unknown.png

From NTRS number 19730062635

Edited by Beccab

8 minutes ago, Beccab said:

Thanks to NASA's MSFC there's also, for a lack of a better term, this thing. The entire rocket is the aerospike!

unknown.png

unknown.png

From NTRS number 19730062635

Ah, so that's MM's Advance Design Nova R10R-2.

Ah, I see. So the image was a split cross-section showing two different modes. I thought it was just a single rocket with half a shroud on one side. 

BDB 1.11   / ksp 1.12.3

Game freezes and crashes whenever I try to stage my rocket in space, doesn't crash in an atmosphere, I also get a B9 error when opening the rocket.

Modlist and b9 error https://imgur.com/a/J0K4sbw

Ksp log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xUDEg_qPqZEmC5bYdZN4_q4T1wGfnLHq/view?usp=sharing

Any help is welcome, thanks (☞゚ヮ゚)☞