[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

13 minutes ago, Jcking said:

Funny thing is that the July 1961 baseline vehicle uses solid propellant motors for the circumulunar, lunar orbital and lunar landing versions (with an increasing amount of solid motors depending on the mission). There is a what I presume to be a contractor version (can't tell for sure as the document only refers to it as Design II) of Apollo that uses the conic capsule from July of 61 is all liquid storeable propellant, but with an unusual SM arrangement.

Hide contents

Pages_from_Project_Apollo_Spacecraft_Dev

Pages_from_Project_Apollo_Spacecraft_Dev

Pages_from_19690067412_1969067412.png

You’re right. But like I said, mine’s a loose interpretation of the design. I personally don’t like the idea of using solid motors for anything other than first stage propulsion or side boosters.

Edited by Blufor878

1983: Congratulations on a new BDB update:

hD8fbjj.png

January: The Solar Maximum Mission satellite develops a serious problem with its attitude control systems, preventing it from operating some of its instruments. A Space Shuttle mission is quickly organized to repair the spacecraft and is set to launch sometime next year.

November '82 to February '83: Skylab-83A, the first mission to the space station to use the new manned mission designation system, performs its four-month mission.

AoM54kk.png

jGQhM7Y.png

ycsFvsg.png

'83A delivers a small docking adapter which will allow the remaining Block III Apollo spacecraft equipped with legacy docking probes to use the station. This module will eventually be removed once spacecraft equipped with APAS-75 hardware begin flying.

weLXMJo.png

zm01hww.png

The mission ends in late February with a nominal splashdown in the bright summer weather of the south Pacific. The use of expensive fleets to recover NASA capsules has become the subject of controversy within the administration after the successful operation of the space shuttle landing sites at Edwards AFB and Kennedy Space Center. Plans are set in motion to evolve beyond the need for a carrier task force to pick up expendable capsules, first by moving splashdown areas closer to shore and later by eliminating the need for water recovery from Apollo altogether.

April: STS-12 spends five days aboard Skylab installing replacement hardware and upgraded systems to extend the aging station's life. Skylab has now spent nearly a decade in orbit, and is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain as its equipment becomes more and more outdated and past-warranty. The crew of Challenger will mitigate this problem somewhat by replacing Skylab's old sixties-era electronics with new solid-state hardware, installing new and additional life support features, and removing broken or obsolete parts. The mission also installs extra sleeping bunks in Skylab to accommodate crews of five to seven astronauts, as well as a projector screen, extra exercise bikes, and similar amenities to enable larger and longer stays aboard.

eHireQH.jpg

To carry all the hardware into space, Challenger flies with the Spacelab pressurized module, demonstrating its usefulness as a cargo carrier for the first time. Remote-controlled camera aboard the station video the orbiter ad she makes her approach.

PvWmP0l.png

See more of this mission in the Shuttle Adventures thread in Mission Reports.

July: On the west coast, Landsat 4 launches a year behind schedule. The new Delta-3920 makes use of its improved upper stage engine to place the heaviest Landsat yet into a polar orbit, from which it will collect high resolution imagery of the Earth.

HpQ6Rlg.png

frjq094.png

August: A Saturn IC launches from LC-34 with a classified Air Force payload. This is the first Department of Defense payload to launch aboard a Saturn rocket, a fact noted by some as evidence of the increasing militarization of space under the Reagan Administration. This mission also marks the eighteenth launch of Saturn IC, finally making it the most flown Saturn in history, beating the Saturn V's seventeen-launch record. NASA would have preferred not to make this historic launch carry such a secretive payload. In fact, for decades NASA has insisted that the Saturn family only be used for civilian missions, but the Air Force has exploited the administration's lack of funding for FY1984 with an offer they simply couldn't refuse.

ym0Xcpr.png

vlJOOOj.png

WRXf7kJ.png

Centaur-G is a modification of the proven Atlas and Titan upper stage designed specifically for use on the Space Shuttle. It is planned to be flown on the first Shuttle-Centaur mission in 1986, when it will launch the Galileo space probe to Jupiter. For now, however, the hardware is classified as 'experimental', and for the sake of caution NASA wishes to test it on an unmanned launch first. Enter the US Air Force. The USAF approached NASA with a lucrative offer: modify the design to be compatible with DoD mission constraints, fly DoD missions unsuitable for Titan 34D with Shuttle and Saturn instead, and the military will provide half of the funding for Centaur-G. To meet this irresistible deal, NASA split the development of Centaur-G into two phases, Shuttle-Centaur and G-Prime. Centaur-G' (G-Prime), the model being secretly flown today, is less powerful than Shuttle-Centaur, but is shortened to enable heavy military satellites to fit inside standard payload fairings. Both are technically compatible with STS, yet as of the launch of Saturn IC SA-318 only the latter has been announced to the public.

Ya3cCgM.png

04PEiN5.png

The payload, codenamed STANDPIPE, is an incredibly overbuilt ELINT and SIGINT satellite, bound for a geostationary orbit from which it can perform simultaneous surveillance on the USSR, Communist China, Iran, and Iraq. It is the largest and heaviest military payload launched to date, and it is officially described as a military program designed to record meteorological observations of the Indian Ocean.

6IJp6hC.png

STANDPIPE is successfully placed into orbit, and when the results begin to trickle into military intelligence centers across the nation, plans are immediately drawn up for additional STANDPIPE spacecraft to "continue the impressive meteorological studies on the world's other oceans." 

August: Skylab-83B begins its four-month stay aboard the station. This is the first mission to require a resupply from an unmanned AARDV in some time, and the eighth Aardvark freighter remains docked to the station for three of the four months aboard.

pHLPUUE.png

November: STS-41A launches with a suite of instruments designed to map Earth's magnetic field. Challenger also carries a small satellite which will be released in orbit for atmospheric studies. Read more in Shuttle Adventures.

2XEKmvW.png

CvWLZlh.png

29CiR6Y.png

hmavesU.png

wy6O9oJ.png

The Shuttle Orbiting Atmosphere Probe (SOAP) features a large inflatable balloon which will be monitored over the course of several weeks to evaluate the properties of Earth's exosphere at orbital altitudes. This data will be used to better calculate the orbital decay rate of large spacecraft such as shuttles and stations.

6 hours ago, Blufor878 said:

I decided to get around to making an Apollo Direct Ascent lander. @EndAllFilms requested it a while back, and I decided if I'm gonna make all these orbital vehicles, I should have a proper lander. My design is loosely based on the July 1961 proposal (middle top row).
zapcmlme.jpg
52448118842_a33c6bf131_o.png
52449083875_17c3c50e1e_o.png
52448916524_fbc5480b8d_o.png
52449159003_78a82c8026_o.png
52448119422_c1e6772779_o.png
I don't have this on KerbalX yet, I'm still playing around with it. But so far it seems to work. You have to keep the engines on for almost the whole descent. Thankfully it has enough delta V to do so, and make it back to munar orbit, and even get back to Kerbin. That is assuming you didn't use any fuel in the craft for munar orbit injection. Some pretty tight margins here (at least for me, but I am a bit of a noob/amateur on this sort of thing).

God dang son, That looks very amazing so far but you need to add a nose instead of a docking port. Also I already built my own Apollo Direct Ascent which I updated on my Sea Dragon at KerbalX you can go check it out and see
Sea Dragon: https://kerbalx.com/EndAllFilms/Sea-Dragon-Crewed

29 minutes ago, EndAllFilms said:

God dang son, That looks very amazing so far but you need to add a nose instead of a docking port. Also I already built my own Apollo Direct Ascent which I updated on my Sea Dragon at KerbalX you can go check it out and see

Whenever I'm reminded of Sea Dragon, I immediately think about how For All Mankind mistook diagram labels as vernier motors. I'll never be able to get that out of my head.

1 hour ago, EndAllFilms said:

Thanks! And I know about the nosecone. I wanted a docking port just in case.

9 hours ago, bigyihsuan said:

I updated to 1.11 and now the custom categories are missing, is there a reason?

uiYUrnm.png

Log (zip file, since the log file itself is >45MB): https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgelpp6czon46t7/KSP - Copy.zip?dl=0

Odd, the probe and SRB ones are showing, so something's working, just not very well lol. Checking the filter addon cfgs are on my to-do, but for now, maybe the BDB_CCK patch in the extras folder might work instead of the Filter Extensions patch?

I also suspect something maybe to do with realfules is causing the log spam NREs, but am unsure.

10 hours ago, Pudgemountain said:

Reveal hidden contents

This unmanned test is brought to you by Source Fabric Company, Fabric so bright you might be missing something.

20221023103930_1_by_pudgemountain_dfg5u9b-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZmc1dTliLTYzYTg3NDJiLTI1ZjYtNGZmNi05YzQ4LWJmNmIxNTJkOTQzMy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.NnoKoGe1z7_nCjRo8yTVetPX-ryLiby9W8TkzNPLlR4

20221023104222_1_by_pudgemountain_dfg5u9f-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzA0IiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZmc1dTlmLTQ2Mjk5MDJmLTU4MWQtNGRmMS1iNjIzLTM3ZWZjOTcwY2M2MS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.-Quz-9F24IR_CA3rIkYubtHLiy7eY5863qEGfeYy88M

Though quick question are the Mercury chutes not compatible with Shaddy, or did I install it wrong or are they along with Shaddy not compatible with Realchute?

You probably just need to update Shabby. If you have the version that comes with Conformal Decals, it's an old one that for some reason interferes with Shaddy+TU http://taniwha.org/~bill/Shabby_v0.3.0.zip

1 hour ago, Rodger said:

Odd, the probe and SRB ones are showing, so something's working, just not very well lol. Checking the filter addon cfgs are on my to-do, but for now, maybe the BDB_CCK patch in the extras folder might work instead of the Filter Extensions patch?

I also suspect something maybe to do with realfules is causing the log spam NREs, but am unsure.

You probably just need to update Shabby. If you have the version that comes with Conformal Decals, it's an old one that for some reason interferes with Shaddy+TU http://taniwha.org/~bill/Shabby_v0.3.0.zip

Ok, I will see if it works next weekend. I am busy on most weekdays.

6 hours ago, Rodger said:

@bigyihsuanI've reproduced and fixed. It happened when Bluedog_DB_Extras/BDB_RealNames wasn't also installed. If you install the realnames patch, the categories should show up, or update the file "GameData/Bluedog_DB/Compatability/FilterExtensions/Mod_Bluedog Design Bureau.cfg" from GitHub.

On 10/22/2022 at 9:03 PM, davidy12 said:

Looks like we won't be seeing Voyage by Stephen Baxter or MOLAB anytime soon :(

We're still working on stuff for the interplanetary portion, at least.

On 10/22/2022 at 9:19 PM, Entr8899 said:

@CobaltWolfBefore we transition to KSP2, is there any chance we could see dedicated parts to recreate Conestoga? Avionics, inline Castor 4 and altitude optimised Castor 4, and roll stripes paint switch?

Nah.

On 10/22/2022 at 10:14 PM, Socowez said:

If you just port models and textures to KSP2, not only would you spend ages patching the old stuff to work, the artstyles aren't even going to match.  Even then, it would still take months if not years to rebuild everything from scratch for the new game! Unless Nertea is leaking some game builds for BDB to keep ahead, I don't know how you would possibly go about a making a BDB mod for KSP 2. I understand that modability is a priority feature for KSP2, but that doesn't mean it won't be a whole new unfamiliar monster to tackle! 

However you go about such a feat, I wish you luck! :D

The models can probably be reused, the textures probably can not.

On 10/23/2022 at 12:18 AM, Transformatron said:

I don't mean to be annoying by asking again but I don't think anyone noticed so IG this will be the last time I ask but I was curious about the possibility of ALSS as all the parts becides the habitat module itself are there.  Its bascially a base built to the profile of the SLA petals but leaving the space for the LM descent stage.  Update is epic! 

On 10/23/2022 at 3:28 AM, Zorg said:

I think this is unlikely. I think you could kitbash something with some creativity using the Venus Flyby module though.

Unfortunately there's no source material to be found past what's on Astronautix.

22 hours ago, NateDaBeast said:

Any chances in a future update of having recolors for Saturn parts?  I think the new KSP dev video influenced me suggesting this.

I have no idea what colors would even look great but would be nice I guess.

22 hours ago, GoldForest said:

If you want recolor in KSP 1, best to get a recolor mod.

KSP 2 will have recolor support built in, though I doubt it will affect mod parts unless the modder allows it in the config settings.

21 hours ago, NateDaBeast said:

Most recolor mods I've seen are just adding an orange tint for example.

Yeah that would be a wait until KSP2 thing, though I'm not sure how good that recolor system is going to look...

@CobaltWolf, the new parts are awesome! We now have three lunar shelters to choose from. One observation on the new shelter with the LTV ramp: is it possible to get ramp extensions similar to what is on the LM Truck platform? Getting the LTV off the ramp can be a bit sporty, and frequently results in a flip onto its back. Extendable ramps would allow a shallower angle to be used when deploying the ramp. If that is more than you want to do don't sweat it. It is still useable the way it is.

Thank you!

On 9/16/2021 at 5:41 PM, birdog357 said:

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?isbn=&an=john taylor&tn=janes worlds aircraft 1964-1965&n=100121503&cm_sp=mbc-_-ats-_-used  $60 is a bit steep for a single bit of research, until you see Amazon's price of $500....

On 9/17/2021 at 1:08 PM, Pappystein said:

Thanks.  I buy Reference books but I will hope someone has access to it and can just post any S-4 engine data they find (pictures nice.)  I don't want to shell 60 for a book that will likely remain on my shelf after the fact.

LibGen has it available free PDF download

Its the 1965-1966 version though. Download page is here.

1k3sDbdh.jpg

Here's the search results from LibGen as well if youre interested. They have PLENTY available from a 1913 version up to 2005.

D3jbWCCh.jpg

If you've never heard of Library Genesis, oh boy are you in for a treat. Millions of books at your fingertips in many formats, just a click away

Edited by Astra Infinitum

Okay, I need your help. I am having a really bizarre problem

I built out the Keyhole dual capsule return setup and flew it on the KH-4B using the SG-4B Camera System. Both capsules ejected and operated properly.

I then took the same dual capsule setup and installed it on the KH-8 Gambit. The top capsule ejected properly, but after ejecting the SG-RCA adaptor and the SPD-05 decoupler I have tried to eject the 2nd capsule from the SG-DPA Dual Return Capsule Adaptor and it wants to eject downward, into the camera system. This results in a full Kraken quality RUD. I tried it multiple times, and I even rebuilt it from scratch using Friznit's guide. Same result.

I then removed everything except the SG-DPA adaptor and the four part capsule assembly. I Hyperedited it into orbit and found that the SG-DPA adaptor wants to eject the capsule downward, pushing the adaptor upward. I tried this multiple times using different parts as the root part. Same result. I even tried attaching this adaptor/capsule assembly to many different parts, including Centaur and Saturn parts and I got the same exploding result.

My conclusion is that for some reason the SG-DPA dual adaptor works only with the SG-4B camera system. Use any other part with it, or only by itself and you get ejection in the wrong direction.

My questions:

1. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. What is unique about the SG-4B camera part that make the SG-DPA work properly when it doesn't with any other part?

I will fully admit that this may be a classic case of me being an idiot, or it may be a case of mod conflicts. I can provide a mod list and logs if necessary.

Thank you!

@CobaltWolf, @Invaderchaos

Looks like it always ejects backwards, even on KH4. It just bounces off the KH4 instead of exploding for some reason. Should be a simple cfg fix.

Edit: fix up on dev now.

Edited by Rodger

On 10/24/2022 at 9:26 AM, CobaltWolf said:

Unfortunately there's no source material to be found past what's on Astronautix.

There is some more stuff in The Lunar Exploration Scrapbook by Robert Godwin, I wouldn't know where to go for something more comprehensive and technical short of asking the author about his sources...

28 minutes ago, billbobjebkirk said:

There is some more stuff in The Lunar Exploration Scrapbook by Robert Godwin, I wouldn't know where to go for something more comprehensive and technical short of asking the author about his sources...

What is called the ALSS lunar base is the SLA mini-base (which sadly the report isn't on the public internet).

alsslaunch-jpeg.47420

3 hours ago, Rodger said:

Looks like it always ejects backwards, even on KH4. It just bounces off the KH4 instead of exploding for some reason. Should be a simple cfg fix.

Edit: fix up on dev now.

Thanks! Its a relief to know I wasn’t being a dolt!

On 10/23/2022 at 3:38 PM, pTrevTrevs said:

1983: Congratulations on a new BDB update:

hD8fbjj.png

January: The Solar Maximum Mission satellite develops a serious problem with its attitude control systems, preventing it from operating some of its instruments. A Space Shuttle mission is quickly organized to repair the spacecraft and is set to launch sometime next year.

November '82 to February '83: Skylab-83A, the first mission to the space station to use the new manned mission designation system, performs its four-month mission.

April: STS-12 spends five days aboard Skylab installing replacement hardware and upgraded systems to extend the aging station's life. Skylab has now spent nearly a decade in orbit, and is becoming increasingly difficult to maintain as its equipment becomes more and more outdated and past-warranty. The crew of Challenger will mitigate this problem somewhat by replacing Skylab's old sixties-era electronics with new solid-state hardware, installing new and additional life support features, and removing broken or obsolete parts. The mission also installs extra sleeping bunks in Skylab to accommodate crews of five to seven astronauts, as well as a projector screen, extra exercise bikes, and similar amenities to enable larger and longer stays aboard.

July: On the west coast, Landsat 4 launches a year behind schedule. The new Delta-3920 makes use of its improved upper stage engine to place the heaviest Landsat yet into a polar orbit, from which it will collect high resolution imagery of the Earth.

August: A Saturn IC launches from LC-34 with a classified Air Force payload. This is the first Department of Defense payload to launch aboard a Saturn rocket, a fact noted by some as evidence of the increasing militarization of space under the Reagan Administration. This mission also marks the eighteenth launch of Saturn IC, finally making it the most flown Saturn in history, beating the Saturn V's seventeen-launch record. NASA would have preferred not to make this historic launch carry such a secretive payload. In fact, for decades NASA has insisted that the Saturn family only be used for civilian missions, but the Air Force has exploited the administration's lack of funding for FY1984 with an offer they simply couldn't refuse.

August: Skylab-83B begins its four-month stay aboard the station. This is the first mission to require a resupply from an unmanned AARDV in some time, and the eighth Aardvark freighter remains docked to the station for three of the four months aboard.

November: STS-41A launches with a suite of instruments designed to map Earth's magnetic field. Challenger also carries a small satellite which will be released in orbit for atmospheric studies. Read more in Shuttle Adventures.

Lovin these creations

Many congratulations on 1.11!  You guys are amazing and we can not begin to offer enough gratitude for the amazing talents and interests that you have shared (and obviously still intend to continue to share e.g. BDB 2.infinity).  Congratulations and again, thank you.

Hello,

I'm in the process of adjusting the LRV for me RO.

There's just one problem, the vehicle can't be pulled out of the LM. I have read the instructions in the BDB wiki, maybe a little explanation would be helpful.
 Thanks in advance
Edited by msp307

6 hours ago, msp307 said:
Hello,

I'm in the process of adjusting the LRV for me RO.

There's just one problem, the vehicle can't be pulled out of the LM. I have read the instructions in the BDB wiki, maybe a little explanation would be helpful.
 Thanks in advance

Do you have the Breaking Ground expansion DLC? Robotic parts wouldn't work without it I think