[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

16 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

How stable was a burn with the off-center mass caused by the docked Apollo?

I'm guessing that the CoM is not that off, the main ship has a lot of mass, and the Apollo is only ~8tons. I bet the gimbal can handle it.

Edited by guest10985

@Morphisor because I think you created the BDB contracts and @CobaltWolf in case someone else did it.

I'm not requesting tech support here because I was able to bully my way past it, just documenting if you have time to investigate. I had a glitch with the contract progression from Gemini ATV ("Launch an unmanned target vessel") -> Gemini docking ("Perform A Manned Docking Maneuver") -> Apollo ("Take One Giant Leap"). I completed the ATV contract and got credit for it but the docking contract wasn't being offered because it thought prerequisites were missing. That left me with no way to continue with Apollo.

See screenshot below while the problem was happening. The docking contract has 2 prereqs only 1 was satisfied. The game realized I completed the ATV launch contract. For some reason it wasn't recognizing that "targetatv" vessel in orbit, though; the prereq if I read the contract cfg correctly depends solely on having the BDB ATV Materials Bay on board which I did have.

What got me past the problem: I launched the same exact craft file again, so I had 2 unmanned ATVs in orbit. My next return to mission control immediately offered the docking contract.

What didn't work before that; I tried a lot of things:

• Rebooting KSP. I then took control of the ATV in orbit, it definitely had the Agena materials bay, but wasn't being detected by the "targetatv" check.
  • Declining a lot of BDB contracts and timewarping a few days. I tried that multiple times without success.
  • Cycling my 1st orbiting ATV vessel type from probe to ship to station, returning to mission control each time to see if "targetatv" was met. (My 2nd ATV was launched as a probe and never changed.)

For context, this is the only contract bug I've seen, so I don't think it's a major mod incompatibility. I'm using BDB, Contract Configurator, and Skyhawk Science System (without Kerbalism) all current via CKAN. KSRSS Reborn planet pack installed manually from the relevant gitlab link.

cP0UAIr.png

On 11/26/2022 at 10:55 PM, septemberWaves said:

Interesting take on a Venus flyby. Is it based on anything particular, or just an interesting use of the parts?

It's not really based on anything tbh, just something I wanted to make

Also it somewhat resembles Nuclear Shuttle Concept 

Edited by AdrianDogmeat

25 minutes ago, septemberWaves said:

Which engine (if any) represents the RS56-OBA used on Atlas II? I find it a little strange that the half-stage engines get an upgrade which seems to be for that purpose, but the sustainer doesn't. Does BDB just not have that, or am I missing something?

I presume you mean RS-56 OSA as OBA is the booster engine. I think when we last checked either the OSA had the exact same stats as the final LR105 branded engine or possibly so close we didnt bother (1 or 2 seconds maybe). I'll have to double check.

I suppose there is no harm adding the subtype if its the later case, back then (around the Titan update), we were more reluctant to add minor subtypes as we were just getting our heads around B9 module switching.

Edited by Zorg

18 minutes ago, Zorg said:

I presume you mean RS-56 OSA as OBA is the booster engine. I think when we last checked either the OSA had the exact same stats as the final LR105 branded engine or possibly so close we didnt bother (1 or 2 seconds maybe). I'll have to double check.

I suppose there is no harm adding the subtype if its the later case, back then (around the Titan update), we were more reluctant to add minor subtypes as we were just getting our heads around B9 module switching.

Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense.

I have another question about something I've just noticed: what is the "aft bulkhead" version of the Centaur engine mount for? I see that it has an extra attachment node but I can't figure out what that node could possibly be intended for, aside from, presumably, a player-made subsatellite.

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

From what I recall the only difference is the longer burn time that the OSA has, something that isn’t simulated in BDB and most kerbal mods.

So, I realized this year is the 5th anniversary of Cassini's death plung into Saturn. I decided to do a Cassini-Huygen mission to Jool.  Note: The final image is NOT a death plung image. Cassini is just in a really low orbit around Jool. ~750 circular orbit.

Lots of images, so check out the full album, here: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

OkU6gQo.png

mORugll.png

kYrnL4v.png

WxePR8V.png

sFbLQa5.png

16 hours ago, septemberWaves said:

I have another question about something I've just noticed: what is the "aft bulkhead" version of the Centaur engine mount for? I see that it has an extra attachment node but I can't figure out what that node could possibly be intended for, aside from, presumably, a player-made subsatellite.

Yes that's correct. It's possible Invader intended for some payload to be made for that, not entirely sure, but nothing specific was made so far. In any case its just for players to attach any aft payload that will fit there.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/602944567570071565/965685010520768532/Capture.PNG

I'm back from my vacation and decided for today to see if I can send a unmanned Mercury Lab into Orbit of the Mun with a Super Jupiter.

20221128190731_1_by_pudgemountain_dfj2wxd-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZmoyd3hkLWUxYTdjY2M1LWQ2MzgtNGJhNC1hNmQxLWUxMTM0OTJmMDhlNi5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.WCTmTsaz21mYb5Dn-rGEUmrNag3oUzlF3VgDGFq50jo

Most of the time I do night launches is so I can do a Direct Ascent to the Mun because something tells me it might do a death tumble if I did not just go straight.

20221128190856_1_by_pudgemountain_dfj2wxa-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZmoyd3hhLTEwZTQ5NzY2LTFiOTMtNDZhYy1iYTEwLTZmN2I5MTQwZDczOS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.ePG2wCleah7E_3TaHiU1tIiO1SfuBvHZSxDI_F1h6ys

20221128191044_1_by_pudgemountain_dfj2wx9-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZmoyd3g5LTI5NDY2OTM0LTIwZjktNDM2Ni04ZTQ3LWEwMzU3OGViOThiOS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.2a3gHFJloJUJwwLKoHugbJWMyJu6Au--c8u23KfqNdA

20221128191629_1_by_pudgemountain_dfj2wx6-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZmoyd3g2LThjOTNkOGFmLWI0NmYtNDc0YS1hNmVhLTc3MDA0MzkwMzRmNS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.ILAzqUgWvekNuAggCaqvHkQmgedDlJbChnrTZ31juXw

20221128191954_1_by_pudgemountain_dfj2wx4-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZmoyd3g0LWNiOWZmNmY1LTA0Y2MtNDQwMS1iNjAxLWEyNGQ2NDkwYWE5NS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.ccRb2RHYxklP1oswFlArIo1VJvNNuYbRFUzhHlZxW_s

It has enough Delta V in stock scale to orbit the Mun and head back to Kerbin.

20221128193852_1_by_pudgemountain_dfj2wx0-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZmoyd3gwLTlhMDAzODhlLTEyOGUtNGMxNS04ZmU4LWU2NmMwMmFkODFkYy5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.OuDLxyPJMyIKioBQ0CX-mieTiFFouhRjw0s5FyvLu_M

After orbiting Kerbin its just a standard Mercury return.

20221128194931_1_by_pudgemountain_dfj2wwy-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzIwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvNWNlZDA4NmItYTUwYy00YjFkLWJmZmItYmRhOWYxOTgyNzVmXC9kZmoyd3d5LWU0NGExMjEwLTY3ZmMtNDE0Yi1iMzFhLWFlMmRhOWNkZWE0OS5qcGciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.HM6gh6oJZgKKJPHIaOS1rVH8aJDRQGYKOJi5kqpLv8s

Since I need science for the CSM and the LM's engines I can safely say Mun Pie 7 is a go for later this week.

On 11/27/2022 at 4:38 AM, DeadJohn said:

@Morphisor because I think you created the BDB contracts and @CobaltWolf in case someone else did it.

I'm not requesting tech support here because I was able to bully my way past it, just documenting if you have time to investigate. I had a glitch with the contract progression from Gemini ATV ("Launch an unmanned target vessel") -> Gemini docking ("Perform A Manned Docking Maneuver") -> Apollo ("Take One Giant Leap"). I completed the ATV contract and got credit for it but the docking contract wasn't being offered because it thought prerequisites were missing. That left me with no way to continue with Apollo.

See screenshot below while the problem was happening. The docking contract has 2 prereqs only 1 was satisfied. The game realized I completed the ATV launch contract. For some reason it wasn't recognizing that "targetatv" vessel in orbit, though; the prereq if I read the contract cfg correctly depends solely on having the BDB ATV Materials Bay on board which I did have.

What got me past the problem: I launched the same exact craft file again, so I had 2 unmanned ATVs in orbit. My next return to mission control immediately offered the docking contract.

What didn't work before that; I tried a lot of things:

• Rebooting KSP. I then took control of the ATV in orbit, it definitely had the Agena materials bay, but wasn't being detected by the "targetatv" check.
  • Declining a lot of BDB contracts and timewarping a few days. I tried that multiple times without success.
  • Cycling my 1st orbiting ATV vessel type from probe to ship to station, returning to mission control each time to see if "targetatv" was met. (My 2nd ATV was launched as a probe and never changed.)

For context, this is the only contract bug I've seen, so I don't think it's a major mod incompatibility. I'm using BDB, Contract Configurator, and Skyhawk Science System (without Kerbalism) all current via CKAN. KSRSS Reborn planet pack installed manually from the relevant gitlab link.

cP0UAIr.png

That's odd and unfortunate behaviour. I have only one hunch towards a possible cause and hopefully solution: the ATV vessel stays associated with the completed contract and thereby not targetable by a new contract. Not sure why this didn't come out of testing before, but CC can be a little fickle. 

So I'll add an extra line to the ATV contract that would fix this if it is indeed the cause - but otherwise won't change anything. No guarantees here, if this isn't it, I don't know where to look for a fix. 

Here's Ranger family! Had a few hiccups. You'll notice a few of the images don't like up. I had to launch two of the rangers again due to... er... "Guidance problems" (Namely Ranger 3 saying it could survive 3400 m/s, hits the Mun at around 300 m/s and goes poof...)

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Ranger I: And yes, I accidentally left the hud on for the last image... 

Spoiler

yXNfzeA.png

je7JxUW.png

BYiNf03.png

Ranger 3: 

Spoiler

RoucS6t.png

uGqtozY.png

eMkcYXl.png

Ranger 6: 

Spoiler

nys8nxT.png

56K3tH8.png

17DxKiz.png

Ranger lander:

Spoiler

PoWgKVC.png

DesOxO9.png

tsW6T69.png

26 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Here's Ranger family! Had a few hiccups. You'll notice a few of the images don't like up. I had to launch two of the rangers again due to... er... "Guidance problems" (Namely Ranger 3 saying it could survive 3400 m/s, hits the Mun at around 300 m/s and goes poof...)

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Ranger I: And yes, I accidentally left the hud on for the last image... 

Reveal hidden contents

yXNfzeA.png

je7JxUW.png

BYiNf03.png

Ranger 3: 

Reveal hidden contents

RoucS6t.png

uGqtozY.png

eMkcYXl.png

Ranger 6: 

Reveal hidden contents

nys8nxT.png

56K3tH8.png

17DxKiz.png

Ranger lander:

Reveal hidden contents

PoWgKVC.png

DesOxO9.png

tsW6T69.png

Great shots! Is this 2.5x or stock? What is your formula for getting the hard lander down successfully? It is not easy. 

56 minutes ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Great shots! Is this 2.5x or stock? What is your formula for getting the hard lander down successfully? It is not easy. 

2.5x and I used Agena to slow down to a point that Ranger can land. Then I tipped it over, and released the ball.

Thanks btw! :D

Edited by GoldForest