[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

1 minute ago, CobaltWolf said:

The regular J-2 has like 260 thrust, the J-2S 285, and the J-2A-2 has 291. Everything seems right to me.

Oh, I think I know what's going on.  I think I forgot to get the updated buff upper stage engines patch, so it's set to 291 instead of 3 to 4XX.

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

As for Juno V, yes, I was sure. I didn't have a node.

There is a node there for me, however, it's not visible. I think its positioning is juuuuust a smidge too high and that prevents KSP from showing it maybe? Anyway, an engine will attach there, and if you clip your camera into the part you'll see the center node.

4 hours ago, GoldForest said:

The A-2 has like 260 thrust when the regular J2 has like 360. The A-2 is drastically under powered then. 

As for Juno V, yes, I was sure. I didn't have a node.

Are you using upper stage thrust buff? The J2A2 was only added to that patch 5 days ago.

Good afternoon fellow Kerbonauts,

I recently updated BDB and a bunch of crafts that I designed late last year and in January are no longer opening. Most say they have locked or invalid parts, and that part is usually bluedog.Saturn.S4.Tankage or bluedog.Saturn.S4B.WideInterstage. Is there a fix so I can still use these crafts with the latest version of BDB? Or does anyone know which version I need to revert to to use my craft files again? Thanks for the great mod and thanks in advance for any assistance.

Best regards,

Joontry

9 minutes ago, Joontry said:

Good afternoon fellow Kerbonauts,

I recently updated BDB and a bunch of crafts that I designed late last year and in January are no longer opening. Most say they have locked or invalid parts, and that part is usually bluedog.Saturn.S4.Tankage or bluedog.Saturn.S4B.WideInterstage. Is there a fix so I can still use these crafts with the latest version of BDB? Or does anyone know which version I need to revert to to use my craft files again? Thanks for the great mod and thanks in advance for any assistance.

Best regards,

Joontry

Downgrade to BDB version 1.11 and remove all Saturn related parts from your crafts.

On 5/22/2022 at 5:57 PM, Alpha512 said:

And one more little request for... @Zorg I guess? Can we get a variant of Vega aft bulkhead/engine mount without all those pressurant bottles, for Gamma Centaur?

Sorry for the late reply, not a Dev but Calling it Gamma Centaur is like Calling it Atlas Centaur.  You are naming two stages as if they were just one.  This can lead to confusion (after all NASA has made people confused for years doing it!)  

On 5/23/2022 at 12:48 PM, CDSlice said:

(the real problem was that I was unable to get MechJeb to dock with the module as it thought the docking port was inside the petals hitbox which freaked it out and it just started burning monoprop. Since I didn't have time to try and dock manually and finish getting into orbit I decided to leave the module behind)

Did you try disabling MechJeb's safety interlocks? (an option on the Docking Autopilot Menu)?    I have problems with the SLA myself until I do that.

2 hours ago, Alpha512 said:

Maybe this was lost in the discussion, but... devs, any chance we get a S-ID booster skirt with 2x outboard mounts? 

You wouldn't be able to lift much if you did that.  The Existing S-IC tanks are too big and heavy for 3 engines only with any sort of payload as well.   So neat thing Purposes COOL.   Actually practical thing for in game... Not really

3 hours ago, Pappystein said:

You wouldn't be able to lift much if you did that.  The Existing S-IC tanks are too big and heavy for 3 engines only with any sort of payload as well.   So neat thing Purposes COOL.   Actually practical thing for in game... Not really

We have S-II tanks for such cases. Also, FATlas IIAS. Soltans or small UA-120s would look quite nice on it.

Personally, I'm totally for adding a double-mount S-ID skirt (Mine would be the third vote, I believe).

12 hours ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

There is a node there for me, however, it's not visible. I think its positioning is juuuuust a smidge too high and that prevents KSP from showing it maybe? Anyway, an engine will attach there, and if you clip your camera into the part you'll see the center node.

There wasn't a node hidden that I could tell, the engine just kept phasing through. I'll check again after I get the latest commit.

10 hours ago, Jcking said:

Are you using upper stage thrust buff? The J2A2 was only added to that patch 5 days ago.

Yeah, I thought I had downloaded it, but I guess I didn't. 

Edit: Okay, the node is back after I've downloaded the latest commit, weird. But I did forget to download the latest commit for the A2 buff, so my bad on that part. 

Edited by GoldForest

482lCna.png

aDg5TXB.png

C0T75nG.png

XUHxhiG.png

tysNYT6.png

Full album: Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Delta V (Delta 7M (KSP 4.XXXM) CBC) Heavy putting a 15 ton payload into a 125 x 125 km 51.64 degree orbit with tons of Delta-V left.

Also, the tanks on the CBCs are a little short. The CBCs are supposed to be the same length as the Delta IV CBCs, they are not. Opss.

@CobaltWolf I think the Saturn decoupler needs some work done. When it decouples, the bottom has more force than the top and so the nose runs into the core. And yes, I know the sep motors exist, but I still think the decoupler should be looked at. 

Edited by GoldForest

13 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Sorry for the late reply, not a Dev but Calling it Gamma Centaur is like Calling it Atlas Centaur.  You are naming two stages as if they were just one.  This can lead to confusion (after all NASA has made people confused for years doing it!) 

You're obviously right, but Gamma Centaur is a name easy to identify and search, which is why I think it is ok to call it like this in a forum post. And strictly speaking, the tank part i am asking about IS a Gamma-Centaur part, just like the RL10, being a Centaur part, is an Atlas-Centaur part :)

13 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Just like @biohazard15 already said, there are numerous ways to counter this issue, from making lighter tanks or using some form of thrust augmentation, to going full Hydrolox using M-1 engines (just came up with this thought and now really wanna try)

@CobaltWolf My Leo/Gemini capsule has a control issue. It wants to behave like a remote probe even though I have a pilot onboard. If the capsule runs out of electricity or is placed in hibernation, the pilot can't do things like create maneuver nodes or aim the ship with RCS.

I vaguely recall this happening with an older version of BDB and KSP, and it looks like it's still happening with the latest Apollo update and KSP 1.12.3.

Is that the intended behavior? Am I missing some nuance in how to use that capsule?

2 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

@CobaltWolf My Leo/Gemini capsule has a control issue. It wants to behave like a remote probe even though I have a pilot onboard. If the capsule runs out of electricity or is placed in hibernation, the pilot can't do things like create maneuver nodes or aim the ship with RCS.

I vaguely recall this happening with an older version of BDB and KSP, and it looks like it's still happening with the latest Apollo update and KSP 1.12.3.

Is that the intended behavior? Am I missing some nuance in how to use that capsule?

Do you have the fuel cells on?

2 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

24 minutes ago, Pudgemountain said:

Do you have the fuel cells on?

When the capsule is hibernating, a pilot in the Leo/Gemini capsule can't take control, regardless of the fuel cells.

Describing my problem in another way, Leo acts like a probe with 2 passenger seats, not something that can be controlled by either the probe or a pilot. Most capsules in KSP allow a pilot to control it but that's not what I'm seeing with my BDB install. Maybe that's an intentional design choice by the BDB team, maybe it's a bug, maybe one of my other mods are interfering.

21 hours ago, Alpha512 said:

Maybe this was lost in the discussion, but... devs, any chance we get a S-ID booster skirt with 2x outboard mounts? 

I'll look into it, I should be able to just bash the bits from the 3 engine S-1C mount.

12 hours ago, GoldForest said:

I think the Saturn decoupler needs some work done. When it decouples, the bottom has more force than the top and so the nose runs into the core. And yes, I know the sep motors exist, but I still think the decoupler should be looked at.

The radial decoupler? I'm not sure there's anything I can do about that - the point that the force is applied doesn't change when the length is switched. All I can really offer is - use more sepratrons on the nose? idk.

29 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

When the capsule is hibernating, a pilot in the Leo/Gemini capsule can't take control, regardless of the fuel cells.

Describing my problem in another way, Leo acts like a probe with 2 passenger seats, not something that can be controlled by either the probe or a pilot. Most capsules in KSP allow a pilot to control it but that's not what I'm seeing with my BDB install. Maybe that's an intentional design choice by the BDB team, maybe it's a bug, maybe one of my other mods are interfering.

Well, I can confirm that that's not intended behavior. Sounds like a result of everyone always asking for the crew capsules to be probes too...  With that said, why are you trying to control the capsule while it's hibernating? Even with a crew capsule that makes sense to me that it wouldn't work if the spacecraft has essentially been shut down to conserve power. If the issue is also when the craft lacks EC, I'm probably also not going to lose too much sleep about that either. Still makes sense - no power, no control.

EDIT: Not going to be in game soon - I'm going fishing off-the-grid until the second week of June - but here's some progress on the goo lab. Once I'm back from the trip, I'd like to finish it and move on to some other stuff. Two more lunar shelters (SheLab and Early Lunar Shelter), stuff for docking and tanking saturn stages in orbit, and another project I haven't shared but I know a lot of people want. ;)

Anyways, Goo Lab. I've mentioned before, but this was for long term study of monkeys in zero-g. Animals being mistreated in space always brings the room down a little, so we're using the usual substitute: mystery goo. It's alive... ish. We think. And doesn't seem to mind - it actually enjoys going to space! There's still a lot of unknowns around the Mystery Goo, and this facility will allow long term studying in a space environment. It's designed to be useable as a free-flying, crew visited module; frankly, I think it's even cooler as an addon module for OWS stations.

Kyqvcom.png

Spoiler

My head canon is that the goo is basically a really benign version of Flubber, and the inside of the module is basically like this 24/7:

Edited by CobaltWolf

On 5/13/2022 at 10:05 AM, CobaltWolf said:

If I can find more information on them, yes

I found this potentially useful image

unknown.png

From page 154 of this document, the whole thing is in Russian though so that might make some things difficult. The document has all sorts of images and information which could be handy

http://spaceresearch.ssau.ru/doc/materials/Карфидов - Том 2. Космонавтика США.pdf

Also, little suggestion, could there be a switch to disable the umbilical on the CSM decoupler? It'd be useful for attaching payloads or for the lander concept above

Edited by JustDark

16 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

With that said, why are you trying to control the capsule while it's hibernating?

I flew a Leo lunar flyby and getting ready for Big G (Big L?). Hibernation is the easiest way to test the issue immediately after deploying from VAB. The issue also manifests when Leo is on the far side of a moon; no signal to KSC = uncontrolled capsule even though there's a pilot on board.

I'll probably patch my Leo so that its ModuleCommand section is more like Hermes/Mercury and Kane/Apollo. 1 pilot, 1 passenger, no probe.

Have a great fishing trip.

1 hour ago, JustDark said:

I found this potentially useful image

unknown.png

From page 154 of this document, the whole thing is in Russian though so that might make some things difficult. The document has all sorts of images and information which could be handy

http://spaceresearch.ssau.ru/doc/materials/Карфидов - Том 2. Космонавтика США.pdf

The image is from astronautix and the document doesn't tell anything more than astronautix, but more importantly it (like the astronautix article) doesn't cite where it got it's information on. With astronautix having proven itself a site of questionable reliability and my finding aids turning up nothing except for Lunar Applications for Spent S-IVB stages, I have to question if this thing is even something that was ever conceptualized.

EDIT: the base does exist (or at least something in that description), but the reports are not available online (SLA Mini-Base concept for extended lunar missions volumes 1-3 NTRS 19710072053-19710072055).

Following that rabbit hole brought an image from the alternate history forums (all the way at the bottom) of what claims to be an image from volume I showcasing the launch configuration.

alsslaunch-jpeg.47420

Edited by Jcking

Maybe a bit of a weird request, but could we have the Apollo Block III/IV service modules in a white paint? It'd fit nice with the modern and white capsules nicely. Also the RCS for the 5-man Apollo capsule doesn't have Waterfall configs.

8 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

EDIT: Not going to be in game soon - I'm going fishing off-the-grid until the second week of June - but here's some progress on the goo lab. Once I'm back from the trip, I'd like to finish it and move on to some other stuff. Two more lunar shelters (SheLab and Early Lunar Shelter), stuff for docking and tanking saturn stages in orbit, and another project I haven't shared but I know a lot of people want. ;).

NOVA?!?!?!?!? I kid of course.

Have fun with your fishing trip, see you in three weeks. 

9 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

My head canon is that the goo is basically a really benign version of Flubber, and the inside of the module is basically like this 24/7:

I mean, I'm sure there's a way to make that happen. Maybe a nice copyright-free version of the Jellyfish rave and a party light button?

17 hours ago, Jcking said:

EDIT: the base does exist (or at least something in that description), but the reports are not available online (SLA Mini-Base concept for extended lunar missions volumes 1-3 NTRS 19710072053-19710072055).

Following that rabbit hole brought an image from the alternate history forums (all the way at the bottom) of what claims to be an image from volume I showcasing the launch configuration.

RIP

15 hours ago, TaintedLion said:

Maybe a bit of a weird request, but could we have the Apollo Block III/IV service modules in a white paint? It'd fit nice with the modern and white capsules nicely. Also the RCS for the 5-man Apollo capsule doesn't have Waterfall configs.

Yeah we meant to include that in the release and just forgot. @Invaderchaosis on it, I'm sure.

13 hours ago, chaos113 said:

could we get a skylab style cupola module

I mean, I'm not opposed but idk what it would look like. The couple times I've made a cupola with circular windows I didn't care for it very much. :/

9 hours ago, Doc Shaftoe said:

I mean, I'm sure there's a way to make that happen. Maybe a nice copyright-free version of the Jellyfish rave and a party light button?