[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

43 minutes ago, CobaltWolf said:

we have an Atlas V... For, uh, reasons...

I'm still laughing at the goofy lopsided configuration that launched a couple hours ago

5 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I couldn't let @Beale be the only one messing around with the PBR shaders! Good news is, I didn't have to make any real changes to my maps to get them to look decent!

WRB3CmT.png

Holy excrements!

Mercury Station Prototype test night launch - made a duplicate of the crew fuselage and tweaked it a little for a makeshift science lab was a little unstable during first launch (which still saw a successful orbit after some gyros malfunctioned :rolleyes:), but second launch was very nominal (with about 200 dV in the Agena B tank after insertion). I did keep the second slot open for "emergencies" or a quick resupply for moored vehicles.

iAnksRT.png

dUqjlAh.png

SDS2lnT.png

3 minutes ago, PickledTripod said:

Speaking of the Atlas V, I made one a while ago using the Daleth "Sapphire" SRBs as a replacement for the AJ-60A that aren't done yet. It works great until I stage the boosters, which tend to rotate inwards and destroy the engine no matter where I place the decoupler. Any tips?

Have you tried different rocket angles at separation? Different throttle output on the RD180? Or just a bigger decoupler? 

Just now, akron said:

Have you tried different rocket angles at separation? Different throttle output on the RD180? Or just a bigger decoupler? 

Turns out that I was staging them when they weren't completely empty, I'm not used to SRBs with thrust curves :P

Slapped a Smart Part fuel detector on them, problem solved.

Just now, PickledTripod said:

Turns out that I was staging them when they weren't completely empty, I'm not used to SRBs with thrust curves :P

I did the same thing once. Curse your thrust curves @Jso! *Shakes angry old man fists*

@CobaltWolf: A couple things.

1.) I think you should put attach points for the fins on the mounting stage because there's something wierd with the symmetry 

2.) Be sure to put a SLA version where the panels detach.

3.) The engine fairings in the first stage had retros. And also the S-II to S-IVB has no Solid Fuel

4.) And for some reason the Ullage rockets keep flying off the Interstage. My recommendation: Make 3 variants. One with 4 rockets, one with 8 rockets, one with none. (That's what I did for my KW Sarnus V). BUT keep the Ullage separate as well.

5.) The ullage rockets on the S-IVB would jettison 9 seconds after firing so I'd add a option for whether or not to decouple them.

EDIT: Also, DAMNED OCD 

VDkVSVZ.png

Though it may be just because this space would tear the rocket apart.

Edited by davidy12

1 hour ago, davidy12 said:

@CobaltWolf: A couple things.

1.) I think you should put attach points for the fins on the mounting stage because there's something wierd with the symmetry 

2.) Be sure to put a SLA version where the panels detach.

3.) The engine fairings in the first stage had retros. And also the S-II to S-IVB has no Solid Fuel

4.) And for some reason the Ullage rockets keep flying off the Interstage. My recommendation: Make 3 variants. One with 4 rockets, one with 8 rockets, one with none. (That's what I did for my KW Sarnus V). BUT keep the Ullage separate as well.

5.) The ullage rockets on the S-IVB would jettison 9 seconds after firing so I'd add a option for whether or not to decouple them.

EDIT: Also, DAMNED OCD 

VDkVSVZ.png

Though it may be just because this space would tear the rocket apart.

Its literally unfinished. It's just up for me and Jso to do our configs. 

1) I noticed that too, and it's... Weird... But I'm sure it'll get fixed ASAP(when it's done)

2) I feel like having more than one variant would be silly. We should just decide on one. 

3) I second the retro motors, but again it's unfinished. ( @CobaltWolf I'm also expecting RCS on the CM. :^) )

4) I noticed that too, and I'm sure it'll be fixed. Making several variants would just clog up the parts list even more than it already is with BDB installed. :P

5) It'd be awkward do add too many modules to one part, especially something so small. I'd be weird to have a decoupler AND and engine in one part because one of those options would have to be activated via action group.

6(edit) Reiterated: quite unfinished. :wink:

wow that was weird to type out all on mobile 

48 minutes ago, VenomousRequiem said:

2) I feel like having more than one variant would be silly. We should just decide on one. 

Come on. That's the variant we need for Lunar missions. I want the missions to be as accurate as possible. ALSO: Procedural Fairings is bugged. 

Just modify the panels. 

@legoclone09 @CobaltWolf Keep the memes to a minimum. That... Doge... Thing... Is a little across the line. 

@davidy12 Watch your mouth young man. 

This is a more or less professional environment. Let's all keep it that way, at least to an extent. I shouldn't have to tell you guys this all the time. I don't want our thread to be closed before 1.0 even sees the light of day. :P

10 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

I couldn't let @Beale be the only one messing around with the PBR shaders! Good news is, I didn't have to make any real changes to my maps to get them to look decent!

This is really reassuring to see; the new engine look has me very worried about the standards that are currently in place, so it's great to see there are people out there thinking about meeting the new ones.  Especially since it looks like replicating the new stockalike will be beyond my ability.

2 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

So, right now, on my local copy, the Bluedog_DB folder contains 296 parts.

The Squad folder contains 291.

That is all.

... Victory? 

No really, that's pretty awesome. :cool:

23 minutes ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

This is really reassuring to see; the new engine look has me very worried about the standards that are currently in place, so it's great to see there are people out there thinking about meeting the new ones.  Especially since it looks like replicating the new stockalike will be beyond my ability.

Meanwhile I'm here using Atlas sustainers and boosters as 1.25m main engines with MoarMk1 spaceplane fuselage fuel tanks. It looks so good.

10 hours ago, PickledTripod said:

Wait a sec....BD SRB's....you can control the thrust on them just like liquid fuel based engines? :0.0:. I've been treating them as standard SRB's this whole time.

@CobaltWolf Is there any plans to modify the tweakability of the boosters/tanks to allow for the width/height to be altered independently?