[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

6 hours ago, captainradish said:

I'm having an issue with the Vanguard not wanting to "connect" to the rest of the rocket. I've run into this issue somewhere in the past, but I can't remember where. If I launch it with the full rocket it acts like it's all alone. Any suggestions? It's getting annoying.

EDIT: I commented out the built-in decoupler and it now seems like it's working fine. Odd.

Thanks, was sitting here scratching my head on the exact same problem!

8 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

new ion thrusters?

7 hours ago, Sudragon said:

Sooon(tm)?

Yes, soon. Of course, those are all old models I'm finally cleaning up and texturing... there's a fair bit of room left on the sheet, and I'd like to include some larger tanks to power the engine with. I must say, my brief tests with the parts suggest Near Future's capacitors will be very helpful... I'm discovering why he included them... On that note, shoutout to @Nertea whose custom ModuleRCSEmissive is now copied+licensed in BDB, along with his textures for the new custom particle effects.

Regarding larger tanks, I was originally planning having a larger (maybe ~0.3125m diameter) spherical radial tanks along with maybe a double mount of them (think the MOL monopropellant mount, but only 2 long). Do people think they really need an inline tank? I am not sure if there is space left on the texture sheet for it, however, I believe these parts will be unlocking before the stock xenon tank options.

8 hours ago, captainradish said:

I'm having an issue with the Vanguard not wanting to "connect" to the rest of the rocket. I've run into this issue somewhere in the past, but I can't remember where. If I launch it with the full rocket it acts like it's all alone. Any suggestions? It's getting annoying.

EDIT: I commented out the built-in decoupler and it now seems like it's working fine. Odd.

8 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

yeah, vanguard was a bit of a weird duck, I watched a friend of mine build it and it didnt quite want to assemble properly initially, a case of the part hit boxes being close together and causing confusion for the game.

Really? I've never had an issue with it T.T

5 minutes ago, notJebKerman said:

Is BDB compatible with Connected Living Space?

It looks like we have compatibility, but the last time it was updated was over a year ago.

21 hours ago, fwdixon said:

I can confirm that commenting out the decoupler on the Narly probe core (not the jettison module, but the actual decoupler) does fix this problem.

:(

18 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

@CobaltWolf, as I promised, I did check out this mod. It is flawless, excellent work! Habemus anti-tantares! With both, an entire space-race can be reenacted!

This is the kind of thing that KSP needs, not half a dozen new stock parts.

Thanks! Glad you're enjoying it. :)

Alright, got the xenon/ion stuff done - just need to finish getting it all in game! Thanks again to @Nertea, who this time has lent BDB his emissive RCS module!

tHIYReV.pngnWXYPFe.png

So I found out that BDB along with KSPi creates an issue where IFS makes BDB's LEM only able to use either Liquid Fuel OR Oxidizer, instead of both (which is needed for the descent/ascent engines). I found out where this is being added in and have taken on the task to add in LFO as an option (as opposed to trying to outright make the MM patch skip BDB parts). However, I only have basic MM knowledge and the compatibility file that IFS is more advanced than I'm used to, so I'm reaching out for some help. Basically I've added in LFO to the front of a few lines (using the LiquidFuelIntegration compatibility patch as a reference), however since the LiquidFuel compat. file looks for parts that don't have oxidizer specifically (i.e. parts with only liquid fuel). At some part of the process the default BDB parts get patched to use only liquid fuel (likely from another mod), which this MM patch then builds upon. To give some context/an example the file I'm attempting to give the LFO option to looks like:

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel],!RESOURCE[Oxidizer],!RESOURCE[MonoPropellant],!MODULE[ModuleTankManager],!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch],!MODULE[B9PartSwitch],!MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],!MODULE[ModuleEngines]]:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch&!CryoTanks&!ModularFuelTanks&!RealFuels]:FOR[InterstellarFuelSwitch]
{
	%LF = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
	+OX = #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$

%totalCap = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$
	@totalCap += #$RESOURCE[Oxidizer]/maxAmount$

%onlyLH2 = #$totalCap$
	@onlyLH2 *= 5

%cryoPower = #$onlyLH2$
	@cryoPower /= 500

MODULE:NEEDS[!WarpPlugin]
	{
		name = InterstellarFuelSwitch
		tankSwitchNames = LiquidFuelOxidizer;LiquidFuel;Oxidizer;MonoPropel;Hydrogen
		resourceGui = LFO;LiquidFuel;Oxidizer;MonoPropellant;LqdHydrogen
		resourceNames = LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel;Oxidizer;MonoPropellant;LqdHydrogen
		resourceAmounts = #$../LF$,$../OX$;#$../totalCap$;$../totalCap$;$../totalCap$;$../onlyLH2$
		tankTechReq = start;start;start;advFuelSystems;largeVolumeContainment
		tankResourceMassDivider = 8;8;8;6.66666666666;5.5
		adaptiveTankSelection = false
		orderBySwitchName = true
		displayTankCost = true
		hasGUI = true
	}

MODULE:NEEDS[WarpPlugin]
	{
		name = InterstellarFuelSwitch
		tankSwitchNames = LiquidFuelOxidizer;LiquidFuel;Oxidizer;MonoProp;Hydrogen;Nitrogen;Argon;Methane;Ammonia;Hydrazine;CO2
		resourceGui = LFO;LiquidFuel;Oxidizer;MonoPropellant;LqdHydrogen;LqdNitrogen;LqdAmmonia;Methane;LqdArgon;Hydrazine;LqdCO2
		resourceNames = LiquidFuel,Oxidizer;LiquidFuel;Oxidizer;MonoPropellant;LqdHydrogen;LqdNitrogen;LqdArgon;LqdMethane;LqdAmmonia;Hydrazine;LqdCO2
		resourceAmounts = #$../LF$,$../OX$;#$../totalCap$;$../totalCap$;$../totalCap$;$../onlyLH2$;$../onlyLH2$;$../onlyLH2$;$../onlyLH2$;$../onlyLH2$;$../onlyLH2$;$../onlyLH2$
		tankTechReq = start;start;start;advFuelSystems;largeVolumeContainment;highPerformanceFuelSystems;highPerformanceFuelSystems;specializedFuelStorage;specializedFuelStorage;exoticFuelStorage
		tankResourceMassDivider = 8;8;8;6.66666666666;5.5;8;8;8;8;8
		adaptiveTankSelection = false
		orderBySwitchName = true
		displayTankCost = true

Basically I'm trying to add oxidizer back in in order for the LFO option to include both liquid fuel and oxidizer, which is accomplished in the LFO compat file by adding the OX variable, which the resourceAmounts line then reads from. However, I have no idea how to set up this patch to add in oxidizer as well. I thought about setting the OX variable to use the liquid fuel as a base (i.e. change it so it reads +OX = #$RESOURCE[LiquidFuel]/maxAmount$, however the totalCap line needs oxidizer to read from as well and I'm not sure it would be the correct ratio. Can anyone help me with this patch so I can finally get my Apollo 11 mission underway? I'd greatly appreciate it! I'd rather not have to remove IFS and if that goes, then does KSPi (WarpPlugin) if I can make this work. The other option I was thinking of going with is omitting BDB parts outright by changing the @PART[*] line to include @PART[!*bluedog,!*Bluedog]. That way it will only use B9PartSwitch as opposed to IFS.

Thanks for your time and any help will be greatly appreciated.

*Update*

Found a temporary workaround for it for now. Instead of using the OX variable, I removed it entirely and changed the LFO resource from: 

resourceAmounts = #$../LF$,$../OX$;

to

resourceAmounts = #$../LF$,$../totalCap$;

This gives you a tank filled with LF and Oxidizer, but they are at a 1:1 ratio, so the levels have to be manually changed in order to drain properly, but it works for the time being.

5 hours ago, shoe7ess said:

~snip~

huh. Never really thought about issues arising from different switchers... Yeah, unfortunately I honestly have *no* idea what the best procedure would be to fix. :( Assuming you don't need to use the BDB stuff with any weird fuel types, yeah I'd think the best option would be to somehow exclude the BDB parts from getting changed by IFS.

2 minutes ago, bananasrawesome said:

I noticed in an earlier version that the scales for the top of the Saturn V payload petal part and the Apollo service module tank weren't the same. Has this been fixed?

the issue was people were erroneously installing an unsupported optional file without reading what it did. In any case, there have been changes made that resolve the issue even if the file is used. 

21 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Alright, got the xenon/ion stuff done - just need to finish getting it all in game! Thanks again to @Nertea, who this time has lent BDB his emissive RCS module!

Are these thrusters going to be less efficient and located earlier in the tech tree than NF Propulsion's and stock ones? After all, they are based of 60s technology...

13 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

huh. Never really thought about issues arising from different switchers... Yeah, unfortunately I honestly have *no* idea what the best procedure would be to fix. :( Assuming you don't need to use the BDB stuff with any weird fuel types, yeah I'd think the best option would be to somehow exclude the BDB parts from getting changed by IFS.

Would the correct syntax be @PART[!bluedog*,!Bluedog*] in order to skip BDB parts?

*Update*

For those interested, or those who come into the same problem when using KSPi andBDB with InterstellarFS, to fix the LEM stages open the file: IntegrationLiquidFuel.cfg located under GameData\InterstellarFuelSwitch\Patches and edit the following within the config file:

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel],!RESOURCE[Oxidizer],!RESOURCE[MonoPropellant],!MODULE[ModuleTankManager],!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch],!MODULE[B9PartSwitch],!MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],!MODULE[ModuleEngines]]:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch&!CryoTanks&!ModularFuelTanks&!RealFuels]:FOR[InterstellarFuelSwitch]

You'll want to change this line to:

@PART[!bluedog*,!Bluedog*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LiquidFuel],!RESOURCE[Oxidizer],!RESOURCE[MonoPropellant],!MODULE[ModuleTankManager],!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch],!MODULE[B9PartSwitch],!MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],!MODULE[ModuleEngines]]:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch&!CryoTanks&!ModularFuelTanks&!RealFuels]:FOR[InterstellarFuelSwitch]

This will keep the LF patch from affecting BDB parts altogether.

Edited by shoe7ess

Hi,

I have a play question.  When I launch the s1b I cannot get the cm,sm into orbit with the sivb.  I need to stage and use the sm to get to orbit.

I am using a 2.5x solar system.  

How much do others de-fuel the sm?  Or is this not just me?  I get consistent performance using mech-jeb.

8 hours ago, debaker02 said:

Hi,

I have a play question.  When I launch the s1b I cannot get the cm,sm into orbit with the sivb.  I need to stage and use the sm to get to orbit.

How much do others de-fuel the sm?  Or is this not just me?  I get consistent performance using mech-jeb.

I use the SM with 10% fuel load and 20% monopropellant load. I also remove the high gain antenna. I'm too using a 2.5x system. 

9 hours ago, debaker02 said:

Hi,

the real S-IB couldn't lift the real Apollo CSM to orbit, you'll need to take a lot of fuel out. 

On 10/3/2017 at 5:22 PM, shoe7ess said:

Would the correct syntax be @PART[!bluedog*,!Bluedog*] in order to skip BDB parts?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 10/4/2017 at 12:12 PM, notJebKerman said:

I did some testing and turns out it still works

It hasn't been updated for the Skylab release though.

12 hours ago, debaker02 said:

11 hours ago, RaiderMan said:

to be honest...I cheat and mount decouplers to the s1b fins and srbs for assist.
that said..the payload/lack of payload in the lem bay affects launch weight. try sending it up sans payload.

4 hours ago, Hay said:

I use the SM with 10% fuel load and 20% monopropellant load. I also remove the high gain antenna. I'm too using a 2.5x system.

3 hours ago, Kerbal01 said:

the real S-IB couldn't lift the real Apollo CSM to orbit, you'll need to take a lot of fuel out. 

One thing I haven't seen people mention, but you can shave off most of the ablator material, which I believe the real world LEO Apollos did. But yes, most of the fuel and mono also has to be taken out. If you're desperate for more payload, try switching to the Saturn 1C (the first stage is named s1e and the parts will turn up when you search using that term in the VAB)

1 hour ago, RaiderMan said:

how does one build the saturn 1c, the first stage appears to use an F-1 engine?

S-IVB Interstage from S1B

S-1E Tank

S-1E Engine Mount

F-1A

Pretty simple :)

Edited by G'th

3 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

how does one build the saturn 1c, the first stage appears to use an F-1 engine?

1 minute ago, G'th said:

S-IVB Interstage from S1B

S-1E Tank

S-1E Engine Mount

F-1A

Pretty simple :)

Also needs the Atlas verniers for roll control.