[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

no-no-no-no...

Your fist stage should have been the S-II to S-IV Decoupler,  S-II tank-age, S-II engine mount with 5x J-2SL Sea Levels...   Then 4 x Radial decouplers with 4x UA-1207s....      The upper stage is right though :)

And yes I am both Joking and providing the prescription to make a Saturn II Rocket (INT 18)   :GRIN:

Cause if you want to launch station parts into orbit, you can get a higher sustained orbit out of a Saturn II INT 18 rocket than you can out of the ETS rockets.   Not that Multi-body isn't an awesome concept... I use it for Crew only Gemini-BigG launches tho.... since it is significantly less weight than the station parts themselves.

Seriously Build the rocket your way and fly it your way.   No one here to ACTUALLY say Build X or Y isn't right.   It is all about what is right for YOU

My upper stage almost always starts with the S-IVB IMU, TOPPED with a heat shield.  And either the S-IVB or S-IVC tank-age with a B or C engine mount (I mix and match depending on the mission)  I put for LARGE sized air brakes on the sides just above the RCS and a few parachutes near the nose (the Rocket flips 180 degrees after getting into thicker atmo anyway.  Then I RECOVER my S-IVB/C Stage..... Saved Funds

19 minutes ago, debaker02 said:

Thanks very much for the tips.  I will give them a go and report back.  Time to get rid of heat Shields lol.

Yup it worked 110*110 orbit with 200 dv to spare.  I never thought to get rid of the heat shield strength as a weight save.  Makes sense.

11 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It hasn't been updated for the Skylab release though.

One thing I haven't seen people mention, but you can shave off most of the ablator material, which I believe the real world LEO Apollos did. But yes, most of the fuel and mono also has to be taken out. If you're desperate for more payload, try switching to the Saturn 1C (the first stage is named s1e and the parts will turn up when you search using that term in the VAB)

I edited the OP with the correct syntax (though it make sit a 1:1 ratio, not sure where to go about making the LFO ratio 0.9:1.1), it's just [!bluedog*,!Bluedog*] within the parts line instead of [*]. I may do the same for each IFS compat patch so IFS isn't getting added to BDB parts period.

18 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

One thing I haven't seen people mention, but you can shave off most of the ablator material, which I believe the real world LEO Apollos did. But yes, most of the fuel and mono also has to be taken out. If you're desperate for more payload, try switching to the Saturn 1C (the first stage is named s1e and the parts will turn up when you search using that term in the VAB)

I missed this yesterday but I would add that you need to shave weight off of the Ablator if you wish to see it land in one piece too.  I had a perfect low speed re-entry with minimal ablator wear (I think I was down 12 points from maximum.) but I had a landing on land.  Landing speed was 6.6m/s with just the Apollo CSM + Apollo chutes.   Ablator blew up on landing.

I reduced the Ablator value to 1/3rd and flew the exact same profile.   The CSM lands with an intact Ablator.

This was in stock Scale Galileo solar system.

1 hour ago, RaiderMan said:

yes.

in steam library, right click, properties, betas, first dropdown, select 1.3.0, steam will do the rest. happy rocket flying.

Or alternatively, you could just copy your 1.3.0 folder OUT of steam and not have to worry about the auto update...   I have 4 copies on my PC (Testing, BDB Centric Testing, Galileo and Seam 1.3.1)

On 06/10/2017 at 11:05 AM, RaiderMan said:

equipped the s-ivb fuel tank, got to orbit just fine. think I found my butter zone. thanks guys! happy flying!

You're using butter as fuel? Hows that working for you. I know the Mythbusters tried Salami, Gummy bears and ...erm... waste, but never dairy products.

19 hours ago, Leszek said:

BDB, doesn't seem to play well with 1.3.1.  Am I the only one or can others confirm?

This Mod is stockalike. It uses LF/O. Only some Engines like the RL-10 uses Liquid Hydrogen. But this is not caused by Real Fuels. It is not needed. Only Community Ressource Pack.
RF is only optional. So there is a dev-config for this in the Extras-Folder of the download.

Which Gemini service module is meant to be used with MOL? .craft file on KerbalX is using the full-size version, but since the smaller one is included...

Also, there is one problem with Connected living space for MOL: While the G heatshield is passable, service module and both 1.5 m & 1.875 m size decouplers are not.

Btw,

On 10/6/2017 at 4:51 PM, notJebKerman said:

How is Mariner 1, built with parts from this mod supposed to look like? 

13 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

I'm thinking some prebuilt standard craft files could cut about eighty percent of this thread out.  :)

Well... They are available... But not for unmanned probes (Sputnik 3, Lunar Orbiter, Mariner, Ranger). And some of them are outdated - they aren't taking advantage of the parts that were added later.

46 minutes ago, TiktaalikDreaming said:

I'm thinking some prebuilt standard craft files could cut about eighty percent of this thread out.  :)

2 hours ago, notJebKerman said:

Which Gemini service module is meant to be used with MOL? .craft file on KerbalX is using the full-size version, but since the smaller one is included...

Also, there is one problem with Connected living space for MOL: While the G heatshield is passable, service module and both 1.5 m & 1.875 m size decouplers are not.

Btw,

29 minutes ago, notJebKerman said:

Well... They are available... But not for unmanned probes (Sputnik 3, Lunar Orbiter, Mariner, Ranger). And some of them are outdated - they aren't taking advantage of the parts that were added later.

Come on! That's the core of the game, figuring out how to build things! Request me anything and I'll build it :wink: