[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

29 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Also @Zorg Is the nose cone separation motors supposed to induce a roll on the boosters? Mine always seem to roll for some reason. 

Is that with yesterdays update inlcuding the sep motors on the decoupler? I didnt design them to roll though its possible I misaligned something. Having said that the real boosters rolled away :P

Also also, is it possible for you to make a part that just has a bunch of random thrust transforms to create a pseudo Delta IV fireball effect?

We had some idle thoughts about a fireball simulator but nothing satisfactory at this time. Its a low priority thing I am giving a small amount of thought to though at some point in the future. 

Also also also, any plans to make the 7m or 8m CBCs as seen in the Delta IV User's guide?

Spoiler

Sad cat pointing gun: Guns, Pointing, Threatening, Sad, Crying, Cat,  Kitten, Animal : FreshMemeTemplates

Edited by Zorg

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

Is that with yesterdays update inlcuding the sep motors on the decoupler? I didnt design them to roll though its possible I misaligned something. Having said that the real boosters rolled away :P

Didn't realize there was an update. Will download it.

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

We had some idle thoughts about a fireball simulator but nothing satisfactory at this time. Its a low priority thing I am giving a small amount of thought to though at some point in the future.

No rush. Was just asking if it was a possibility to be added.

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sad cat pointing gun: Guns, Pointing, Threatening, Sad, Crying, Cat,  Kitten, Animal : FreshMemeTemplates

Lol. Come on, you got to flex your modding muscles, besides, all you would really have to do is take the existing models and upscale them to whatever 7m and 8m comes out to in KSP on the BDB scale. You might have to upscale the texturing as well and clean it up, but it's a simple job. I would use Tweakscale, but 1.10 support is baseline at the moment and I'm waiting for it to mature. 

Also, it was just a suggestion, I'm not really expecting them, just kindly asking if you have plans for them. BDB is about experimental and conceptual rockets after all. *Points to the LDC, Fatlas, and post-Saturn upgrades.* Why not give us post Delta upgrades as well? :P

Speaking of texturing, do you plan on adding the original Delta Blue coloring as an option? I've seen Delta IV pictures of Delta IV in blue and kind of like that calming blue over the SCREAMING IN YOUR FACE bright orange. 

Edited by GoldForest

2 hours ago, GoldForest said:

Lol. Come on, you got to flex your modding muscles, besides, all you would really have to do is take the existing models and upscale them to whatever 7m and 8m comes out to in KSP on the BDB scale. You might have to upscale the textureing as well and clean it up, but it's a simple job. I would use Tweakscale, but 1.10 support is baseline at the moment and I'm waiting for it to mature. 

Also, it was just a suggestion, I'm not really expecting them, just kindly asking if you have plans for them. BDB is about experimental and conceptual rockets after all. *Points to the LDC, Fatlas, and post-Saturn upgrades.* Why not give us post Delta upgrades as well? :P

Ok more serious answer, Im not very interested in them as I don't find those designs very compelling. We've had some weird things in BDB yes but imo all of those designs like Fatlas and LDC were more interesting in terms of concepts and design. 

I would point out that using the existing assets is nowhere near simple if sticking to BDB standards of quality. Upscaling with existing textures would mean a drop in texel density (pixels per meter) below the minimum level we use and uprezzing textures using photoshop or whatever doesnt work great for things where work is often done at the individual pixel level. Moreover doing them at proper levels of quality means something other than upsizing existing assets, it would need new models with detailing that makes sense for that scale and new textures to match. I certainly wouldnt do them half baked. And like I said I dont find those designs interesting enough to want to do them.

Re tweakscale I've kind of run out of motivation to keep updating those configs, they arent difficult but there are a lot of them and I have lots of other things to attend to. If there are any tweakscale users amongst you a PR would be much appreciated before 1.7 drops.

32 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Ok more serious answer, Im not very interested in them as I don't find those designs very compelling. We've had some weird things in BDB yes but imo all of those designs like Fatlas and LDC were more interesting in terms of concepts and design. 

I would point out that using the existing assets is nowhere near simple if sticking to BDB standards of quality. Upscaling with existing textures would mean a drop in texel density (pixels per meter) below the minimum level we use and uprezzing textures using photoshop or whatever doesnt work great for things where work is often done at the individual pixel level. Moreover doing them at proper levels of quality means something other than upsizing existing assets, it would need new models with detailing that makes sense for that scale and new textures to match. I certainly wouldnt do them half baked. And like I said I dont find those designs interesting enough to want to do them.

Re tweakscale I've kind of run out of motivation to keep updating those configs, they arent difficult but there are a lot of them and I have lots of other things to attend to. If there are any tweakscale users amongst you a PR would be much appreciated before 1.7 drops.

Like I said, merely asking/suggestion. I didn't really expect you to say yes anyway. Fatlas was actually studied and had material behind it to back it up. ULA simply went, "Yeah, this CAN be a thing... no statistics though."

As for tweakscale, Like I said. 1.10 support directly from Tweakscale is minimal at best. I'm waiting for it to mature. 

Also, I'm guessing you missed my question on the Delta Blue texturing. 

9 minutes ago, GoldForest said:

Also, I'm guessing you missed my question on the Delta Blue texturing. 

Thats 100% on the way courtesy of Invaderchaos, he's raring to go but I want to be sure I dont need more tweaks to the texture. Probably white as well. Anything weirder if it happens will be in BDBNIC but those two will be in the mod itself.

28 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Thats 100% on the way courtesy of Invaderchaos, he's raring to go but I want to be sure I dont need more tweaks to the texture. Probably white as well. Anything weirder if it happens will be in BDBNIC but those two will be in the mod itself.

Awesome. I don't think any other color is needed. Orange, White and Blue are good. The only thing I can think of maybe is Saturn stripes.

Honestly, I'm not mod dev but I also think enlarged CBC is a vary improbable to do in BDB without load of artistic license. As there are very few information on them and completely lacks of information on its engine. Only part that is seems possible for me is RL-60 as CE one looks oversized for me. RS-800 have thrust number but that's it, RL-60 is far more complete.

Edited by derega16

24 minutes ago, derega16 said:

Honestly, I'm not mod dev but I also think enlarged CBC is a vary improbable to do in BDB without load of artistic license. As there are very few information on them and completely lacks of information on its engine. Only part that is seems possible for me is RL-60 as CE one looks oversized for me. RS-800 have thrust number but that's it, RL-60 is far more complete.

7m and 8m Delta uses RS-68s just like Delta IV. 
If I had to guess, they would pull off some trickery like the Russians did. Probably make 2 of the 4 outer RS-68s share a combustion chamber with one another. Reason I say this is because Ares V was to use 5 or even 6 RS-68s. Now, the nozzles can fit 5 on the Ares V, but it's a little tight. They might have made a compact version of the RS-68.

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

Ok more serious answer, Im not very interested in them as I don't find those designs very compelling. We've had some weird things in BDB yes but imo all of those designs like Fatlas and LDC were more interesting in terms of concepts and design. .

I don't think an enlarged CBC would bring a lot to the table, anyway. 8m IRL is 5m in KSP, and 7m would be 4.375m. Both of those will be covered by Saturn parts. ETS has a 4.375m Saturn derivative with orange tank insulation, and I wouldn't be surprised if we got more parts in that color thanks to texture sharing. There is no fundamental difference between Saturn and Delta tankage, they're both standard tanks. Once Saturn revamp is done, we will be able to make the Growth Delta. :) At most, an EUS-like upper stage could be made (since it's basically the same, an 8m DCSS), but it would fit better with @benjee10's ReDirect, with its use in Delta being incidental.

RL-60 is pretty great, but it's in @Nertea's CryoEngines already. That said, I wouldn't be opposed to its inclusion, it'd be a nice replacement for RL-10 if you need a bit more thrust out of the DCSS (just like the Centaur, it's wimpy with 1x RL-10, and only a little better with two).

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Hadron27 said:

hopefully i dont crash again.

If i do, I'll make a new topic on the technical support forums with my KSP.TXT

When you do, it is best to upload your KSP.log to a file service like GoogleDrive or DropBox or GitHub Gist and link it bmbwFBb.png

It is acceptable to post a problem to the appropriate mod you believe is causing the crash.

Your previous would have been a better topic for general support as it was not (even tho it seemed to be) mod specific.

1 minute ago, Kane Kerman said:

So,ummmm...

I already know that BDB works well with JNSQ,but,just to be sure,Does this Beautiful Mod Works well on RSS?

like, efficiency, thrust, size, mass and DV?

Nope , it doesn t ,

2 minutes ago, Kane Kerman said:

if not, is there any mod Config that modifies the scale of the parts so i can be compatible with RSS?

I think there are RSS / RO configs included in the extras folder when you download the mod , if not try looking through the thread

12 minutes ago, Kane Kerman said:

So,ummmm...

I already know that BDB works well with JNSQ,but,just to be sure,Does this Beautiful Mod Works well on RSS?

like, efficiency, thrust, size, mass and DV?

if not, is there any mod Config that modifies the scale of the parts so i can be compatible with RSS?

BDB RO compatibility patches are within RO itself. If you install RO and BDB together the parts will get configured for real scale. Due to the huge size of BDB and fast development a lot of parts might not be covered. However mcDouble has made extensive efforts to update even the current bdb development branch to RO. Like i said not everything will be covered but the situation is a lot better than it used to be.

I dont think there is a solution for RSS without RO but we do also have custom SMURFF configs. I dont know much about it though.

14 hours ago, GoldForest said:

@Zorg

Also also also, any plans to make the 7m or 8m CBCs as seen in the Delta IV User's guide?

errr,   Tweakscale is your friend?  :D   And yes I understand your concerns about Tweakscale in a 1.10.1 environment....

2 hours ago, Zorg said:

However mcDouble has made extensive efforts to update even the current bdb development branch to RO.

and I might be wrong but @mcdouble can verify.  Did I not see another new "Alternate Apollo" update (just no notes in the forum to that effect)?   Something about a GE Apollo D-2 Capsule LEM (I haven't unlocked it yet... stupid slow crawling career!)

Cause our Titan stacks need Apollo capsules all their own! :D

Edited by Pappystein