[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

2 hours ago, Pappystein said:

Wow thanks for these parts, they look amazing!  Any chance you will be doing the wrap around half circle  tube stacked tracking panel like depicted on most of the later KH-8 Gambit satellites?

KH-8_GAMBIT_3_(Block_3_&_4).jpg

I am not sure if the KH-8 solar panel is actually a warp-around curved panel like that, as most of the references I've seen have shown them flat. Additionally, the single extremely grainy and blurry (sort of irl) pic of the KH-8 solar panels I have seems to also suggest that they are flat. Addtionally, I also do not believe the panel is tracking. However, if you have doc's that mention the specifics of the solar panel, as I also could be totally wrong given the lack of info I can find on them, that would be greatly appreciated. To answer your question though, yes, I do plan on making the KH-8 solar panel. My goals are to make both the KH-8 panel, and the solar panel from SERT 2. 

Speaking of that project, I know I would have a little space left over on the texture sheet for the solar panels I will be making that I just mentioned, so I decided to go ahead and make a tiny little agena-related part on the sheet. I decided to make Oscar 1, the world's first amateur radio satellite, and also technically the first spacecraft ever made by non-governmental civilians. Oscar 1 was a piggyback payload designed to be tucked into the Agena-B's aft engine shroud. I think it was launched with a KH mission, but I can't remember for sure. Here is an IRL picture of it, as well as what I have made so far.

800px-OSCAR_1_satellite-01.jpg
TrWO08o.png

7 hours ago, Invaderchaos said:

Speaking of that project, I know I would have a little space left over on the texture sheet for the solar panels I will be making that I just mentioned, so I decided to go ahead and make a tiny little agena-related part on the sheet. I decided to make Oscar 1, the world's first amateur radio satellite, and also technically the first spacecraft ever made by non-governmental civilians. Oscar 1 was a piggyback payload designed to be tucked into the Agena-B's aft engine shroud. I think it was launched with a KH mission, but I can't remember for sure. Here is an IRL picture of it, as well as what I have made so far.

Yes, OSCAR 1 (and several other similar satellites) were launched during the early Keyhole Programs (mainly KH-2 Corona and KH-5 Argon).

Speaking of which, and I apologize if I missed it, is there any plan to add any of the other SIGINT/ELINT Heavy Ferrets that preceeded the Strawman?

Hello! I love your work, and have been trying to incorporate BDB into the modded game I've always wanted. The idea is to have stockalike versions of my favorite early space program, with technology running into the 70s and maybe 80s. To be picked up and continued in a alt history branch, using Interstellar Extended to pick up roughly the same timeframe. In the JNSQ system, for the record.

The issue I'm running into is reconciling KSPIE and BDB tech trees. It seems like the parts for early BDB crafts are out of order. Are there configs to make the 2 play nice? Or is this possible at all, as far as you know? Thank you, I hope I'm not missing something obvious

38 minutes ago, JesseTheTadpole said:

Hello! I love your work, and have been trying to incorporate BDB into the modded game I've always wanted. The idea is to have stockalike versions of my favorite early space program, with technology running into the 70s and maybe 80s. To be picked up and continued in a alt history branch, using Interstellar Extended to pick up roughly the same timeframe. In the JNSQ system, for the record.

The issue I'm running into is reconciling KSPIE and BDB tech trees. It seems like the parts for early BDB crafts are out of order. Are there configs to make the 2 play nice? Or is this possible at all, as far as you know? Thank you, I hope I'm not missing something obvious

KSPIE pretty much breaks stuff with its alternative resource handling, you would have to write a custom patch to make it work. I'm sure there'd be a few grateful people around if you submit one for the compatibility department.

13 hours ago, CAPFlyer said:

Speaking of which, and I apologize if I missed it, is there any plan to add any of the other SIGINT/ELINT Heavy Ferrets that preceeded the Strawman?

At the moment, I do not have any current plans to add any other SIGINT parts. I have considered doing SAMOS (and the SIGINT stuff that comes with it) but I don't have many ref's of it, and if I do ever want to do SAMOS it will probably have to wait for a little while. In terms of other SIGINT stuff, probably the most notable Heavy Ferret spacecraft I can think of that's similar to Strawman is Multigroup. I don't think Multigroup would be very feasible to make with the large fairing bulge that it flew with, so there are no plans for those parts, and I find it unlikely that there ever will be. However, if it is any consolation, Multigroup flew with what was supposed to be one of MOL's deployable antennas (if I recall correctly) , which BDB has as a part, so it probably can be loosely kit bashed. At the moment, BDB has four types of SIGINT craft: SOLRAD/GRAB, the P-11/Hitch-Hiker subsat, Strawman 1-3, and Strawman 4 w/ Harvester (listed in an increasing order of science output). After Strawman, larger SIGINT are still very classified with little to no reference images even with spacecrafts as old as Canyon/Rhyolite, meaning that they would not really be able to be produced nicely in BDB with what's currently available. So I think what BDB has now in terms of SIGINT will suffice, but maybe down the road I might consider looking into SAMOS, I am not sure if that is too likely.

Edited by Invaderchaos

4 hours ago, Morphisor said:

KSPIE pretty much breaks stuff with its alternative resource handling, you would have to write a custom patch to make it work. I'm sure there'd be a few grateful people around if you submit one for the compatibility department.

Thank you. Since this morning I learned all my problems may be solved if I can get the Engineering Tech tree to work, as it recommend using both BDB parts and Interstellar, as well as just being a great sounding mod by itself. 

Leaving this for anyone who may ask similar questions

So, about the entire Gemini program. Is it me or do some parts appear to be missing? 

I'm trying my best to recreate the Big Gemini crafts. For the Advanced Big G, I can't seem to find a retro module, for example, that would be able to de-orbit the capsule. There's not part that really manages to connect to the Boticelli pod and the Matisse service module, nor can I find the docking grabber that goes on top of the Leo docking adapter. Am I doing something wrong here?

I'm using Friznit's wiki as well here, by the way, but it seems to me the Leo parts have been revamped lately and it hasn't updated to the new parts just yet.

7 hours ago, Colonel of Ferocity said:

So, about the entire Gemini program. Is it me or do some parts appear to be missing? 

I'm trying my best to recreate the Big Gemini crafts. For the Advanced Big G, I can't seem to find a retro module, for example, that would be able to de-orbit the capsule. There's not part that really manages to connect to the Boticelli pod and the Matisse service module, nor can I find the docking grabber that goes on top of the Leo docking adapter. Am I doing something wrong here?

I'm using Friznit's wiki as well here, by the way, but it seems to me the Leo parts have been revamped lately and it hasn't updated to the new parts just yet.

I don't think parts are missing. I ran into the same issue. There is no viable way to deorbit a Big G using the parts as intended. See my post a few pages back for my solution.

Edited by DaveyJ576

y4mJIEzLZtsOXfxzSrTCRFAvIhPWePg1Mh0lm2Lv

Is the engine placement on this Centaur correct? I didn't notice it until I had it on orbit. It seems as though the engines should be rotated 90 degrees and placed on the two circles.  I went back and checked and the positions shown here are where the placement nodes are. It just seems a bit odd... 

1 hour ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Is the engine placement on this Centaur correct? I didn't notice it until I had it on orbit. It seems as though the engines should be rotated 90 degrees and placed on the two circles.  I went back and checked and the positions shown here are where the placement nodes are. It just seems a bit odd... 

why are you using pre-1.7 centaur parts? The post-1.7 parts don't have the problem, or I haven't seen one

6 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

why are you using pre-1.7 centaur parts? The post-1.7 parts don't have the problem, or I haven't seen one

Ohhh. Light bulb over the head moment here. After reading your post I suddenly realized I had built out this Centaur prior to the update as part of a Saturn I Block 2 vehicle. I need to go back and rebuild the entire rocket. Thanks!

On 12/6/2020 at 5:36 PM, Invaderchaos said:

I am not sure if the KH-8 solar panel is actually a warp-around curved panel like that, as most of the references I've seen have shown them flat. Additionally, the single extremely grainy and blurry (sort of irl) pic of the KH-8 solar panels I have seems to also suggest that they are flat. Addtionally, I also do not believe the panel is tracking. However, if you have doc's that mention the specifics of the solar panel, as I also could be totally wrong given the lack of info I can find on them, that would be greatly appreciated. To answer your question though, yes, I do plan on making the KH-8 solar panel. My goals are to make both the KH-8 panel, and the solar panel from SERT 2.

TrWO08o.png

First off, Oscar 1?   Are we bringing Urbanmechs to KSP now?   (whoops that is probably too meta for a lot of you) Seriously cool looking part!

Re the suggestion about a TRACKING wrap arround deployable solar pannel.   I thought that concept of a solor panel would be interesting if it was in BDB.   Making it tracking makes it more useful.   So while the concept art isn't mine, I like the idea enough that I suggest it.   Cool if you are not interested, as I have always said you all make what ***YOU*** want to make.   I am just flinging ideas and hoping one sticks (unlike the dung flung by monkeys at the zoo!  I hope none of that crap sticks! :P)

16 hours ago, Pappystein said:

First off, Oscar 1?   Are we bringing Urbanmechs to KSP now?   (whoops that is probably too meta for a lot of you) Seriously cool looking part!

Re the suggestion about a TRACKING wrap arround deployable solar pannel.   I thought that concept of a solor panel would be interesting if it was in BDB.   Making it tracking makes it more useful.   So while the concept art isn't mine, I like the idea enough that I suggest it.   Cool if you are not interested, as I have always said you all make what ***YOU*** want to make.   I am just flinging ideas and hoping one sticks (unlike the dung flung by monkeys at the zoo!  I hope none of that crap sticks! :P)

I am a little hesitant of a wrap around solar panel idea, as it would have to be specifically molded around the agena equipment bus making it's reuse applications pretty limited, as well as probably being a part that would need some offset and fiddling to get perfect. One of my issues with the Strawman solar panels were that they are solar panels that are quite specific to the craft and have to be offset in a certain way to be most effective, which I tried the best I could to avoid, but there wasn't too much I could do without straying too far from what the panels were irl. That's why I wanted to do the SERT-2 and KH-8 solar panels, as they are much simpler in design and much more generic, allowing it to be easily attached without fuss, and allowing them to be used more effectively with non-agena spacecraft. Making another panel specifically tailored to the equipment rack would defeat the purpose of having a more generic panel unfortunately. However, maybe if I have enough leftover space I would think about it. As for tracking, I probably could make a variant for the SERT-2 and KH-8 panels to have them be sun-tracking. 

However, I think that my work on those panels might be postponed for a little bit, as I have a different project that my attention and motivation has been captured by. I am not 100% sure if the final product will be BDB-worthy, nor do I have any idea how long it will take, but I do have a tiny sneak peak of it...

IEg8ucx.png
RUqf5ck.png

10 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

I am a little hesitant of a wrap around solar panel idea, as it would have to be specifically molded around the agena equipment bus making it's reuse applications pretty limited, as well as probably being a part that would need some offset and fiddling to get perfect. One of my issues with the Strawman solar panels were that they are solar panels that are quite specific to the craft and have to be offset in a certain way to be most effective, which I tried the best I could to avoid, but there wasn't too much I could do without straying too far from what the panels were irl. That's why I wanted to do the SERT-2 and KH-8 solar panels, as they are much simpler in design and much more generic, allowing it to be easily attached without fuss, and allowing them to be used more effectively with non-agena spacecraft. Making another panel specifically tailored to the equipment rack would defeat the purpose of having a more generic panel unfortunately. However, maybe if I have enough leftover space I would think about it. As for tracking, I probably could make a variant for the SERT-2 and KH-8 panels to have them be sun-tracking. 

However, I think that my work on those panels might be postponed for a little bit, as I have a different project that my attention and motivation has been captured by. I am not 100% sure if the final product will be BDB-worthy, nor do I have any idea how long it will take, but I do have a tiny sneak peak of it...

IEg8ucx.png
RUqf5ck.png

1) Point on lego-ability.   I totally understand and I will drop my suggestion given, legoability + what you had to do to make strawman work... makes sense not to make another unique use Agena panel, at-least at this time.  

I will ask again next week :D    (I AM JOKEING!!!!!!)

1A)  I only suggested the wrap around folding Solar panel because upon looking at it. from any direction except edge on it will gather Electricity (so tracking isn't required to be MOSTLY useful   Maybe such a panel could be made for a "generic solar panel" down the line for BDB. *This line edited in*

2) your new project.   If that is what I surmise it is, it is both infinitely usable but also not really lego-able :D   But looks like the best KSP level sculpt of those parts yet.  

Edited by Pappystein

18 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

2) your new project.   If that is what I surmise it is, it is both infinitely usable but also not really lego-able :D   But looks like the best KSP level sculpt of those parts yet.  

Yea, it's not the most lego-able thing by design, but I plan to make it as lego-able as possible. All experiments will be separate parts, most parts will have a switch for foil, the main bus will be separate from the experiment section , etc. The only thing that makes the bus less lego-able will be the fact it's propellant tank pokes out of the bus, but sadly that's just how it is irl. Thanks for the compliments though! Although the fact that you say it's "the best KSP level of sculpt of those parts yet" is probably due to the fact that these parts haven't been made for KSP in years to my knowledge, so it's not like there's much competition lol

When building craft I'm having trouble knowing which science parts will meet contract requirements, because the experiment names in the contract window and part window don't match. I've tried stock and 2 different contract window mods. I've used BDB before, but this is my first contract playthrough with BDB.

Is this a known issue with BDB? Do I have some sort of installation problem, or is there some KSP feature that I don't know how to use to show which parts to use for which contract?

It appears that the part window displays "experimentActionName" from the PARTS folder, while the contract displays "title" from the RESOURCES folder. As a result, a contract that wants "Orbital Weather Observation" needs a part that calls it "Take Cloudcover Images". I can't find an in-game way to know the 2 names are associated.

My workaround is labor intensive. I have to tab out and search the RESOURCES folder for "Orbital Weather Observation", determine its id is "bd_weather", then search the PARTS folder for all occurrences of bd_weather. It's not just this one experiment; I've found several other cases.

Scidef_bd_weather.cfg

id = bd_weather
title = Orbital Weather Observation

bluedog_Nimbus_CameraTorus.cfg

experimentID = bd_weather
experimentActionName = Take Cloudcover Images

Edited by DeadJohn

13 hours ago, DeadJohn said:

When building craft I'm having trouble knowing which science parts will meet contract requirements, because the experiment names in the contract window and part window don't match. I've tried stock and 2 different contract window mods. I've used BDB before, but this is my first contract playthrough with BDB.

Is this a known issue with BDB? Do I have some sort of installation problem, or is there some KSP feature that I don't know how to use to show which parts to use for which contract?

It appears that the part window displays "experimentActionName" from the PARTS folder, while the contract displays "title" from the RESOURCES folder. As a result, a contract that wants "Orbital Weather Observation" needs a part that calls it "Take Cloudcover Images". I can't find an in-game way to know the 2 names are associated.

My workaround is labor intensive. I have to tab out and search the RESOURCES folder for "Orbital Weather Observation", determine its id is "bd_weather", then search the PARTS folder for all occurrences of bd_weather. It's not just this one experiment; I've found several other cases.

Scidef_bd_weather.cfg

id = bd_weather
title = Orbital Weather Observation

bluedog_Nimbus_CameraTorus.cfg

experimentID = bd_weather
experimentActionName = Take Cloudcover Images

Yes this is something I've been meaning to resolve for more clarity. Its a little troublesome because one is a title and the other is an action but theres definitely room for improvement. For instance changing Take Cloudcover Images to Perform Orbital Weather Observation etc

Edited by Zorg