[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

4 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

58907323-ccad3380-8705-11e9-9f4a-c847f1029493.png

this one, from the Apollo C-series

Yeah that is the LATE (post 1960) version of the Saturn C2.  The PRE 1960 version had the S-III stage between the S-I and the S-IV.   The S-III stage was a twin J-2 with a small tank (use the ETS Saturn IVC extension tank for a good simulation, with it's twin engine mount)

IIRC and Friznit would have to answer for certain but I think he used Tweakscale to shrink down the S-II tankage and engine mount.

Edited by Pappystein

1 hour ago, Starhelperdude said:

will the most powerful saturn that we will be able to build be a MLV variant?

I'm no developer but I can predict that it most likely will be; a Saturn MLV with 5 F-1A engines and 4 AJ260X solid rocket boosters attached is just a bonkers amount of thrust... I honestly can't see a reason for needing a bigger rocket!  Not to mention the possibility of using the available space in the S-IC stage to increase fuel or even stretch it further, plus extending the upper stages to increase Delta-V further. You can get an insanely powerful rocket this way.

Everybody's on Apollo and Saturn stuff nowadays, so here's my attempt at a LLRV replica-ish:

Screenshot_642.png?width=1346&height=897Screenshot_638.png

Spoiler

Also allows Jeb to escape quickly when needed like the real LLRV

Screenshot_641.png

Sadly I couldn't use the Lunar Orbiter this time:(

2 minutes ago, Heliotrope said:

I'm no developer but I can predict that it most likely will be; a Saturn MLV with 5 F-1A engines and 4 AJ260X solid rocket boosters attached is just a bonkers amount of thrust... I honestly can't see a reason for needing a bigger rocket!  Not to mention the possibility of using the available space in the S-IC stage to increase fuel or even stretch it further, plus extending the upper stages to increase Delta-V further. You can get an insanely powerful rocket this way.

The thing that always comes to mind for me whenever someone mentions a super heavy lift vehicle like this is "what on earth are you going to use it to launch?".

I think it’s been a little while since I last posted anything here, but I have been keeping busy with the probes I’ve been working on. Here are some update pics of Pioneer 10/11:

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture2.PNG
Capture4.PNG

Many of the parts seen here are still pretty WIP, so keep that in mind. Pioneer 10/11 is on the horizon, along with some of the other probes I’m working on (Transit 4, Transit 5, Poppy, and Clementine).

Edited by Invaderchaos

1 minute ago, Invaderchaos said:

I think it’s been a little while since I last posted anything here, but I have been keeping busy with the probes I’ve been working on. Here are some update pics of Pioneer 10/11:

Capture.PNGCapture1.PNGCapture3.PNGCapture2.PNG
Capture4.PNG

Many of the parts seen here are still pretty WIP, so keep that in mind. Pioneer 10/11 is on the horizon, along with some of the other probes I’m working on (Transit 4, Transit 5, Poppy, and Clementine).

nice, I saw this, together with some of the other ones, on twitter

24 minutes ago, Invaderchaos said:

Hey , I sended you messages on another thread regarding your old Recolours but you never replying ..... this is related I suppose Pioner10 will use the aforementioned foil ? Could you please tell me some more info about your old planned foil recolours ?

Just now, golkaidakhaana said:

Will it be IRL accurate folding , or like the present one , with RCS ? Or perhaps something different ?

Am thinking of doing a truss with with support for Breaking Ground and Infernal Robotics for the accurate deployment. For people who dont want to do that, it will still be a probe core with mono prop storage. So you can add a docking port, add some RCS to the outrigger booms and then dock just like the current one.

1 minute ago, Zorg said:

Am thinking of doing a truss with with support for Breaking Ground and Infernal Robotics for the accurate deployment. For people who dont want to do that, it will still be a probe core with mono prop storage. So you can add a docking port, add some RCS to the outrigger booms and then dock just like the current one.

Please please consider using IR as an alternative to BG ... some mods have been released recently that require BR and it is extremely frustrating for people like me who don t own BG and have no intention of purchasing it

12 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Preview of some upcoming stuff :)

unknown.png?width=647&height=806

unknown.png?width=1060&height=806

unknown.png?width=1363&height=806

The little triangle thing on one of the solars is missing at the moment, will be added of course.

unknown.png?width=898&height=807

Looking excellent! Will look good with the new LM, and I hope you can figure out a way to make it fold back.

By the way, would it be feasible to make this kind of thing happen? It may need some modifications to the SM geometry but IIRC the current one is shaped a little like that too.

apollotelescopemount01.jpg

@golkaidakhaanait can be probably be done with a patch to use whatever is installed.

Either that or just a deployment animation.

Edited by Clamp-o-Tron

Just now, golkaidakhaana said:

Please please consider using IR as an alternative to BG ... some mods have been released recently that require BR and it is extremely frustrating for people like me who don t own BG and have no intention of purchasing it

I literally just said support for both.

3 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Looking excellent! Will look excellent with the new LM, and I hope you can figure out a way to make it fold back.

By the way, would it be feasible to make this kind of thing happen? It may need some modifications to the SM geometry but IIRC the current one is shaped a little like that too.

I saw that recently as well. Something to think about for the future after the priority bits are done.

If we do make it will probably be one that fits into the default sim bay rather than conformal like that? let's see later anyway.

Edited by Zorg

11 minutes ago, Clamp-o-Tron said:

Looking excellent! Will look good with the new LM, and I hope you can figure out a way to make it fold back.

@golkaidakhaanait can be probably be done with a patch to use whatever is installed.

Either that or just a deployment animation.

I like it

it reminds me of a USN or USAF apollo with a ASAT rocket launcher or cannon or laser

4 hours ago, KeaKaka said:

The thing that always comes to mind for me whenever someone mentions a super heavy lift vehicle like this is "what on earth are you going to use it to launch?".

I use them to launch whatever up high in the tech tree from FFT

21 minutes ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

When I asked what still needed to be done during the stream, I was told that there was:

“A _______ lot”

don’t expect it any time soon. 

That kind of thing is why I like Perl 6's approach on the matter.  With volunteer efforts, especially, timelines are hard.  The folks behind Perl kept joking that it'd be done by Christmas, but they wouldn't specify *which* Christmas :-)

so I did some testing with the RL-20 and XLR-129 on the shuttle:

-the RL-20 is very powerful for it's small size, it's good if you use 9 of them, each in a cluster of 3 in the locations where the SSMEs normally are, but you can easily use wayyy more

-the XLR-129 has a pretty low thrust to size ratio but it's really good as a low-cost SSME replacement, though it's less powerful. also you can make the upper XLR-129 a big nozzle one if you want

3 minutes ago, Starhelperdude said:

-the XLR-129 has a pretty low thrust to size ratio but it's really good as a low-cost SSME replacement, though it's less powerful. also you can make the upper XLR-129 a big nozzle one if you want

I believe that the upper XLR-129 is intending to replicate the "Orbiter" model that was designed with the early shuttle proposals in mind, as that one used the two position nozzle.