[1.12.5] Bluedog Design Bureau - Stockalike Saturn, Apollo, and more! (v1.13.0 "Забытый" 13/Aug/2023)

CobaltWolf

its how long you have to burn for to make efficient use of a stock balanced LFO engine. Burn for to much less than that and your engine is over kill for the job and the same job can be done more efficiently with a smaller engine. There is a good write up here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/136082-Rules-of-Thumb-for-Building-Cheap-and-Cheerful-Rockets-1-0-4

but if you're not concerned then it doesn't really matter

I'm concerned with making things A) balanced and B) useful. But at the end of the day, I'm afraid my final decisions for the mod will lean towards my own preferences. I am unabashedly the sort of person who requires his crafts to be somewhat visually pleasing, and I will almost never design things 'optimally'. As long as the part is more or less in line with stock balance I probably won't worry. Thanks for the link though, it certainly made for interesting reading. :)

Love the work so far. My only gripe i have is the FL-800 fuel tanks to build a redstone require a bit of a grind to unlock...and that isnt your fault. Maybe later down the line you might consider making a scaled fuel tank?

Hey, maybe your mods USP is making low tech solutions for the early nodes in the tech tree. :)

If you ever need a beta tester for the Mercury stuff...ME ME ME!! :D

Love the work so far. My only gripe i have is the FL-800 fuel tanks to build a redstone require a bit of a grind to unlock...and that isnt your fault. Maybe later down the line you might consider making a scaled fuel tank?

Hey, maybe your mods USP is making low tech solutions for the early nodes in the tech tree. :)

If you ever need a beta tester for the Mercury stuff...ME ME ME!! :D

I think I am going to do a 1.25m long tank. Something like the next size up from an FLT-800 tank (1200?). Based on the stock tanks (though without the awful fat rims) but the strips/details will be based on Redstone / Juno. Venom sent me this intriguing photo.

USP? Huh?

Thanks for the offer! I appreciate it, but I don't really want to do beta releases unless I need help with something. There's a reason this thread is on the dev board. And that reason is there's less competition here because I still consider the mod in development until I feel I'm experienced enough and the mod has matured some. So anyone here is already downloading and beta testing the mod for me. Also, packaging up a test release, takes up time that could be spent working towards just getting the content out as a normal release.

I think I am going to do a 1.25m long tank. Something like the next size up from an FLT-800 tank (1200?). Based on the stock tanks (though without the awful fat rims) but the strips/details will be based on Redstone / Juno. Venom sent me this intriguing photo.

USP? Huh?

Thanks for the offer! I appreciate it, but I don't really want to do beta releases unless I need help with something. There's a reason this thread is on the dev board. And that reason is there's less competition here because I still consider the mod in development until I feel I'm experienced enough and the mod has matured some. So anyone here is already downloading and beta testing the mod for me. Also, packaging up a test release, takes up time that could be spent working towards just getting the content out as a normal release.

Sorry USP is short for "Unique Selling Point" - what sets your mod apart from others. ;)

Good news about the fuel tank...interestingly with your PGM engine and two FLT-800's I can make an Ap of about 186km...just shy of Alan Shepard's real altitude of 189 aboard Freedom-7.

Hmm probes...

Vanguard and Pioneer both looked quite interesting (very Sputnik like) :)

Any ideas/requests for probe cores I could model for Cobalt, you guys?
Sorry USP is short for "Unique Selling Point" - what sets your mod apart from others. ;)

Good news about the fuel tank...interestingly with your PGM engine and two FLT-800's I can make an Ap of about 186km...just shy of Alan Shepard's real altitude of 189 aboard Freedom-7.

Hmm probes...

Vanguard and Pioneer both looked quite interesting (very Sputnik like) :)

I have a design based on Pioneer 1 + Explorer 7 that I'm working on. Vanguard (probe) is somewhat pointless IMO - similar to what PassingLurker said earlier in the thread; historical probes, while cool are somewhat one-trick-ponies. Especially the early/primitive ones. I already have the solar antenna that was inspired by Vanguard's solar cells. Vanguard rocket might happen; me and Venom were discussing last night the possibility of having a vanguard with a .9375m first stage and a .625m second stage. But it would probably only be made if there was leftover texture space for the fuel tanks on one of the other texture sheets. And wouldn't be any time soon.

I'm tossing in a vote for some Venera parts. If only because mentallandscape has plenty of reference material for them. A dome-type probe core that looks like Venera 1. I know Venom mentioned Mariner 10 earlier in the thread but I don't think there's a point in making it since the stock probe bodies kinda already represent it. Making a version of the ranger satellite bus would be cool tho. I already have the solar panels mocked up.

EDIT: Explorer is successfully moved to a single 256 texture sheet and there are adapters included.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Bluedog Design Bureau 0.05 - IMPACT!

4aPZ2jA.png

ATP9yn2.png?1

EEyo2EN.png?1

lxm8mWQ.png?1

Download from Kerbalstuff. As always, feedback is appreciated. :)

0.05 (IMPACT!) (10/21/2015)

-Micrometeoroid Detector now animates! REAL (fake) IMPACTS!

-Micrometeoroid Impacts are now powered by DMagicScienceAnimateGeneric (that's a mouthful) - if you like them give him thanks!

-Made changes to the model of the Micrometeoroid Detector

-Added some sciencedefs for each stock body to the Micrometeoroid Detector.

-Added several new sciencedefs to the Ion Trap.

-Updated science parts and merged them onto a smaller texture sheet.

-Edited the collider for the Ion Trap. Should be easier to right click now.

-Added Mass Spectrometer experiment. Find out what's in that cosmic dust!

-Added Geiger Counter experiment. Find out how irradiated your kerbals are getting!

-All antennas had their mesh and textures updated.

-Added MSC Dome Antenna - Looks like a backwards dish antenna and functions about as well. 60Mm range, 40 degree arc.

-Added DP-75 Dipole Antenna - The antenna for people that thought Darth Maul's lightsaber was the coolest. 5Mm range.

-Minor buff to the M17 antenna's charge rate - should make it slightly more useful.

-N100 Omni now uses geiger counter and mag scan science defs from FASA and DMagic respectively.

-Removed N120... sorry.

-Redid Sienno probe parts. They now take up less texture memory and are more adaptable.

-Added adapter to Sienno probe core. Use the bottom node for a built in .3125m adapter plate.

-Added small decoupler for sienno parts, goes from .625m > .3125m.

-Added thermometer experiment to Sienno probe core.

-Added BDB as a contractor. I haven't been able to test it much. Let me know if it works.

Looking good :)

Hey, is tweakscale a dependency...I get three errors for your mod as mod manager loads something about tweakscale confg???

Uhhh let me get back to you real quick.

EDIT: I am not sure what the issue is. I've gotten the same '3 errors' thing sometimes testing the mod, sometimes not. I thought I had pinned it down this afternoon. It is not a dependency. You can delete the tweakscale_compatibility file if you are worried about it.

EDIT2: Yes I am not getting them on my local copy. I was until this afternoon when I was going through and fixing things for the release.

Edited by CobaltWolf

Well how bad could a cone twice the size be? Also there is no shame in making redundant 0.625x0.625m decouplers to make them available at the right time. stock puts them far later in the tree than they should.

.625m looked really awful to be honest. I could add another node, with another adapter. *shrug*

Well the adapter and decoupler meshes didn't look terrible attached together right? You could simply combine them and tag the whole mesh as a fairing in unity right fast ;)

I can't work any more tonight but I just realized I have a bunch of issues with the explorer texture as it sits right now. I will try and post a hotfix here tomorrow. I'll try that out before I do.

I can't work any more tonight but I just realized I have a bunch of issues with the explorer texture as it sits right now. I will try and post a hotfix here tomorrow. I'll try that out before I do.

Another interesting bug...when I install your mod, all my available contracts disappear???

Spent the past few hours doing a fresh install and replicated the bug as soon as I installed the BD folder - uninstall and they start working again.

I'm confused???

Another interesting bug...when I install your mod, all my available contracts disappear???

Spent the past few hours doing a fresh install and replicated the bug as soon as I installed the BD folder - uninstall and they start working again.

I'm confused???

Delete the agencies folder. I'm hotfixing in a couple hours.

EDIT: Fix is up. Sorry for the confusion.

EDIT2: On a side node, in the night we passed 1000 downloads! :D

Edited by CobaltWolf

They look very good.

and again the wires, they are really becoming your trade-mark. nice and it would be nice if you keep the wire color the same, blue and red each time.

I am looking forward in using it to travel to mars and forget jeb there. (and this time not bring him back)

They look very good.

and again the wires, they are really becoming your trade-mark. nice and it would be nice if you keep the wire color the same, blue and red each time.

I am looking forward in using it to travel to mars and forget jeb there. (and this time not bring him back)

It's not on purpose! Centaur IRL has them... I'm considering leaving them out though there's something about them I don't like on the centaur.

EDIT: I come bearing good news. WIP textures!

FTJAUri.png

D4FuqQd.png

Any thoughts on color accents for the 1.875m parts? For instance, Rockomax is orange. I'm thinking blue because... uh, reasons.

Edited by CobaltWolf

You're a monster!

No I am not, my mother had me tested

- - - Updated - - -

It's not on purpose! Centaur IRL has them... I'm considering leaving them out though there's something about them I don't like on the centaur.

EDIT: I come bearing good news. WIP textures!

http://i.imgur.com/FTJAUri.png

http://i.imgur.com/D4FuqQd.png

Any thoughts on color accents for the 1.875m parts? For instance, Rockomax is orange. I'm thinking blue because... uh, reasons.

I think that a dark blue would be nice, the stock parts are:

small: 1.25 white/black

large: 2.5 orange/gray

orange = #FFA500

gray = #808080

white = #FFFFFF

black = #000000

all mix = #998766 (some ugly orange-gray thing)

math says it should be ugly but that would be ugly.

Blue or at least a dark blue would look nice agains the dark sky

Edited by 129828